Why TGA is a happy place and is going to stay that way. NEEDED A BUMP AGAIN

Ben

+++MOD HAT TIME+++

I've just hidden a number of posts going over if the rules were right, or if this is a public forum and other bits.  I can't believe that what started off as such a positive post from Ben has devolved to such an extent.

Cutting to the quick, the rules are the rules - if you don't like them that's fine, find another forum to frequent with rules that you do like, we're not keeping you here against your will and bear no ill will if you chose to do that.

If you do choose to stay here - brilliant!  But follow the rules and please don't criticise the mods for upholding them and trying to keep this place friendly.  We don't want to ban people or issue warning points (it leaves a nasty taste in our mouths) but they're tools we need to resort to when things are getting out of hand.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Friendly suggestion: Actually insert  something about this policy in the site rules, as there is nothing there that specifies what the mods/ben want to enforce with warnings, censorship, and bans. 

Watch this space ?

11 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Watch this space ?

Might explain the warning point system in more detail there too.  I don’t see that there’s anywhere, or at least anywhere obvious, that has any guidelines... like is 3 a lot? is 30?  When and where do they have some effect, etc. 

2 hours ago, Naflem said:

Might explain the warning point system in more detail there too.  I don’t see that there’s anywhere, or at least anywhere obvious, that has any guidelines... like is 3 a lot? is 30?  When and where do they have some effect, etc. 

Great shout actually Naflem.

Wow i was a little late to the party but you all really made something complicated out of something that has seemed very simple up until now . . . . . .

Not you Ben you just said your bit.

But seriously people stop over thinking it.

Just look at some of the older posts back when AOS was just starting and you will see plenty of great examples of posts that flag up a potential issue and has nothing but contructive and positive response.

4 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

It’s Ben’s site, so he’s free to do what he wants with it.

But I’ll have him remember that if nobody complains when bad things happen, they’ll continue to happen.

So let us complain. In moderation of course. We don’t need ten threads on one topic.

And thats the crux ofnthe matter.

We have always "discussed" not "complained"

E.g "do you guys think that gw are over doing it with the stormcast releases?"as oppossed to "another stormcast release!! Gw screws it up AGAIN!"

Its all about tone.

This place has always been light hearted and positive but as you say we have made progress because we come here to discuss.

I been on this forum a fair while but if all the discussions are changed declarations of how perfect GW are 

"!" And caps are banned so as notnto offend he more sensitive of of us

And the like button is changed to a HUG button!

Im outta here.

Aint gonna happen though. Life will continue at TGA.

I'm new to the forum and I only really get to play AoS once every 2 months if I'm lucky right now. The positivity, enthusiasm and pleasantness of this forum has really driven me to play more. I'm now running a tale of four (There's eight of us!) Warlords at my local club and I'm looking to attend my first AoS event this year.

This forum is a fantastic place for the game, Ben you should be immensely proud of what you created. A safe haven for all us nerds to discuss the game we love :)

• 5 months later...

Hi guys. 

I don't feel the need to pin this post but every now and again it does need a bump back up to the top.  

I have seen a bunch of reports on here recently, most of them aimed as 2-3 users.  This is  gentle reminder of what TGA is all about, and the awesome community we are part of here.  

If you don't like this, no-one is forcing (or even asking) you to stay.  

Please enjoy your hobby elsewhere. 

• Ben changed the title to Why TGA is a happy place and is going to stay that way. NEEDED A BUMP AGAIN

I've studied social media dynamics for a decade now for the Department of Defense, commercial, and non-profit clients, focusing on manipulation, false information, anonymity, and persuasion dynamics, along with the biases and special-interest siloing that accompanies them. We see these negative trends infecting our worldwide society to cause hate, fear, and divide us. For all of us who swim in these social media waters, we are encouraged to shape our own responses by these frequently bad examples of human behavior. Part of it is rooted in anonyminity, because when we're masked by a fake name we aren't accountable for words we'd never say to people we actually know. It's cowardice to talk tough or mean or angrily when hiding behind a mask, saying things you'd never say to another's face. Part of this destructive dynamic is also reinforced by anger and negativity since this is currently the coin of the realm (you know of what I speak), and we see those examples giving us permission to exhibit behaviors we were once socialized to abhor. These trends won't go away anytime soon, but evidence suggests that folks are getting wise to the joke, and it's actually on us for not speaking out to remove it from our social fabric. For Ben's community, it behooves us to realize that acceptable social behavior is a choice, and not a destructive dynamic we're trapped into. Hobbies are designed to take us to a happy place, away from the awful things we hear around us. When you bring that negativity into a special place like this, it's like walking into our living room with manure on your shoes. Please wipe them before you come in.

Archived