Why TGA is a happy place and is going to stay that way. NEEDED A BUMP AGAIN

Ben

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This forum is something unique, a place like no other, and I love it.

When I'm bored, when I have to take a break, even when I have thing to do, I keep coming here, just to read the latest rumors, to learn new tactics, to read intresting stories and to look at beautiful models and I love it.

This community is a very friendly place that is rare in this time of modern internet.

Just one thing makes me angry and that thing is the jealousy. Warhammer is a complicated game, with complicated rules and complicated interactions so it's normal that we only see one new faction at a time, GW is not forgetting any of his players, they just can't develop and release all factions toghether, you have to give them time. So why can't everybody be just happy if a new faction comes out? Why can't you be happy that somebody is getting new "toys" to play with?

I love this forum, but I hate seeing as I'm (generally speaking, it's not directly me) disliked just because I play Stormcasts. I hate seeing people hating an army that is getting new stuff.

Yes, this time I'm getting new stuff, but the next time it might be you, this is cyclical, it's a spinning wheel. Now I'm happy that new Stormcast are getting released, but when Slaanesh will finally get his release I will be happy too, not because I directly like his faction, but because the ones that does will get new stuff too.

Being happy is a choice, take that choice.

Happy to see this post. As someone who's just getting into back into the hobby after ten years away, and into Age Of Sigmar for the first time, it's been really disheartening seeing how toxic a lot of the online wargaming community is. I was psyched to discover this place that seemed to be so free of it... until 2nd edition got announced. 

Apart from anything else it's just been boring. It feels like most of the posts on the forum since have been the same arguments across the same three threads repeating over and over and over!

So here's to everything getting back on track :) 

Great post, the thing is really that I think every time a change comes we will always see more players struggling with the changes. In two months orso everything will be as old. It's just that from my experience in life, on the workfloor and forums but in general as a warhammer player that a rough mayority of players overreacts to change. They either get upset by it, only want to believe their own assumptions and more importantly get upset with people who want to change their mind.

In general though, rest will return. Except I can assure you that similar things will occur just before and after Generals Handbook release 2018. In general though I'd say it remains largely civil here. But it's good that Ben makes these posts, because if you don't things only get harsher by the change and then you get Warseer/DakkaDakka etc.

6 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

By the same token, I'd say that often some people do need to realise that leaping down the throats of people who DO post genuinely constructive, well-measured criticism just because they've voicing an issue with some facet of the game doesn't help contribute to the atmosphere either. 

I think the admin's post is the most scary thing I've ever read in my life. Like wow what a warning sign. I'm out. Not getting caught up in a cult and an echo chamber. Yes you can ban me I don't care. I feel genuinely scared to voice any dissent here. 

4 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

I think the admin's post is the most scary thing I've ever read in my life. Like wow what a warning sign. I'm out. Not getting caught up in a cult and an echo chamber. Yes you can ban me I don't care. I feel genuinely scared to voice any dissent here. 

Incoming anecdote.

I have a friend who plays Ironjawz. His reaction to everything every other army can do is a sarcastic "wow, that's fair". Sylvaneth Wyldwoods? OP killing machines. 3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows in a 2000 point list? Obscene immortal killing machines. Models in his own army are conversely underpowered, underperforming and overcosted, missing critical abilities like shooting, actual good magic and defense against shooting and magic. His opinion of the new edition is currently that he's getting shafted again, because everything else gets to summon everything, shoot everything, everything is getting cheaper, and at least they're pulling back some of these OP things his army can't handle.

I rarely play against him any more, because being around these kind of people is draining. It's whiny, it isn't constructive and it doesn't help any of these issues. As long as his attitude is "this sucks" instead of "how do I get around or minimize these issues", there isn't a discussion that can be had. This is what I took away from Ben's post. 

To all the people on TGA thank you for your work and the continuous support of what has became to be known as the best AoS forum on the internet.

One very specific side of me wants to cry about how conflict can be harnessed and turned to a force of creation  but another (more rational) part of me  knows this is almost impossible to achieve on an internet environment without derailing into an obnoxiousness. At least I have never seen it once happening in 20 years of forum lurking.

In the end I believe you guys, the creators and moderators of TGA walk the right path.

So thank you again for your difficult and inglorious job

7 hours ago, blueshirtman said:

I actually do not get the post, but I see this is a moderator rules post, and I wouldn't want to get kicked out.

Sorry if I came across as disrespectful @blueshirtman. I understand some find social rules tricky. What Ben is concerned about is people who are always complaining. It gets very boring and unpleasant to read. Maybe try talking about what you like more than what you don’t like.

Sadly, I think you're fighting a losing battle with this post @Ben. Trying to change people's internet behaviour is a thankless task. In reality, when the ***** are posting, it's the well-meaning efforts to make them see things differently that often lead directly to arguments.

We had this a year ago when I was a mod on here. The drive to persuade people to transform into different people only kicked up a worse storm. If people are ***** asking them politely not to be ***** isn't going to make a difference. This thread, as with the last one, will turn into a cyclical discussion about where negativity ends and discussion begins, and a forum for 'martyrs'. 

The solution? If you want a forum for a certain kind of person (which is what you're saying. You can't change people) you have to be ruthless. Over on the Maggotkin of Nurgle Facebook Group we've just removed the *****. If you break the rules, you're out. We don't have a warning system because: a) People don't change. If they break the rules once they'll do it again. b) If you allow everyone to break the rules once, you've got potentially thousands of negative / abusive posts before you kick anyone. Every negative post causes nice folks to slip away unseen, never to return. 

Trying to keep track of everyone who has broken the rules, x number of times, is a huge task and only allows the ***** elbow room. The 'one strike and you're out' policy has meant the Maggotkin Facebook Group is nearly six months old has been almost completely free of arguments and trolling the whole time. One or two people lose access but hundreds or thousands of others have a safe place to play. 

I was one of the most active users on this forum for the first year or so of its existence but my TGA usage dropped right off when the atmosphere here changed. It'd be great to see it improve. Sadly, this isn't going to happen if you just ask nicely. We've been here before - again and again, since the internet began. 

Steve. 

7 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

Being happy is a choice, take that choice.

That's nonsense, clearly being happy isn't always a choice. 

While I agree that seeing repetitive, unconstructive negativity is draining, let's not be intolerant of those who for whatever reason are in a negative space. This place might be a haven for them as much as for anyone.

I think expecting a place with so many members all around the world to be a non-stop positivity shop is unrealistic.

Name calling and personal insults are another matter and of course should be dealt with.

Having a long experience of forums that talks about competitive game (mostly video games, i admit) I can tell that TGA is by FAR (and by far, i mean a million times) the most happy, friendly and productive place i have ever been.

Sure you are right to be alarmed when the tension is rising, but believe me, we are not at the level of Compagny of Heroes forums (which is a tactical strategy games that focus on controling objectives and has a lot to compare to AoS strangely) where the blood flows at every post.

Most of us are the "happy" part of thoses who came from "the world that was" and are inherently positive about the game. But inevitably, the community will grow larger and toxic behaviour are coming too.

I made an interview of a game designer once and he told me that they really hoped that their game will atract toxic players, because they are the ones that makes the game big and competitive, contrary to the large presence of gentlemens. Kinda counterintuitive isn't it?

Anyway,  Hppy to be here, happy to stay :)

#AoS2 Hype

May not be here as much as I used too, but still love coming to read stuff here all the time in the few spare minutes you get in the day as an adulty, adult. Keep it positive everyone and thanks @Ben!

PS: Not sure how to embed or anything on a forum, but all this speak of unicorns and rainbows needs yet another Unicorn...with a rainbow

https://media.giphy.com/media/tTyTbFF9uEbPW/giphy.gif

I am guilty of being a negative nancy/nandos... It's a part of my mulling process, I can't seem to help myself. My first thoughts when encountering something new tend to be; "is this bad, and if so, how bad?" 

Of course if it isn't, then my train of thought changes track and becomes more positive, but on a forum who is ever really looking at the names of who posted what? 

Tl;dr, I'll try to be good, I just get really into it sometimes... ?

Thank you @Ben for creating this environment for us wargamers to discuss the hobby we all love and want to thrive

Generally, everyone here gets along well with each other on this forum, but sometimes we get too worked up, whether that is because we are trying to prove a point or our constructive criticism or praise is taken the wrong way. It's ok to disagree or be negative as it is fine to be excited on these boards, but don't go the extreme one way or the other

Be cool with one other, be blessed we get to interact and build our community and always remember Wheaton's Law ?

Thanks for the post @Ben. I really like the TGA.Community because I have the feeling that this board is one of the most creative boards for AoS I have seen.

The funny part is, that I first got here to download the Rules for "Hinterlands".

To the entire fanboy/hater thing. I thing everyone was baffled when AoS came up. The part I hated most were the stupid written rules that were meant to be funny "if you have the longer beard", "if you talk to ..." etc.

But after a year I started to see the posibilies, WHFB simply didn't had and liked the story of the Realmgate Wars.

The point I got a little unlucky is, that I'm was part of a group that first started 10 years ago with 40k (mostly playing tournaments), later we got a part of WHFB players. The 40k part died out between 5. and 6. Edition, WHFB was later switched for Dystopian Wars and parts of the group started playing WHFB again when AoS came out, later switching to The 9th Age (so I played this game about 2 years)

My friends never changed there oppinion about AoS since (one tried it in the beginning time, the other never tried it, partly of the same reason I said above and both have a equilisation of Fantasy = Regiments).

Actually I quit playing T9A in time of Easter this year, because I had the feeling the game was most about building 'godlike' characters that can't even be damaged by normal units, champions that are eating up the entire Damage of a char on monster by challenge and setting a unit 1" in front of the enemy to block him entirely.

And everytime I came to the gathering I heard conversations about units being OP or too weak (and this in a game, made from a community that invested about 3 years for rules and balancing?) I also read some Threads in there Board and have the feeling that board is quite toxic, because if you aren't a tournament player  and tries to make suggestions about about the rules (mostly stuff doesn't feel right), you get insulted that you're not playing the game correctly ? (sometimes I get the feeling, that the more competitiv a community is, the more toxic it get's ?).

Than there is another "friend", that was part of my gaming group, where conversation often are ends up as GW-Bashing. I mentioned the keypoints of one conversation about 2 weeks ago in the thread here:

And I'm moderator for AoS and WHFB in another board (that board that deleted every stored picture because of EU-DSGVO). Gladly the "Flamewars" Threads were stopped fairly quickly there, but still you have enough people that say "AoS background is garbage" or that "the game isn't tactical". (I saw a post made in april this year where AoS playstyle is still compared to "running into the middle of the board with everything until everything is dead")

But there is one thing, I realized in the case of other boards. Often the most active boards are the Rumours Thread. (We see this here too):

But in the other boards there is not much following after the release. At best you get a review. In case of Projects other boards are dominated by 40k, fanmade battletomes are rarely seen (I'm the only one there who is trying to write Age of Sigmar stories) etc. and opinions about the incoming release are often made on shreads given in Rumours (so there is quite some ranting about the new Edition).

After all this rambling this is a point I like about this community. There are such nice painting/converting Threads giving inspiration, guys making fanmade battletomes, writing campaigns, posting about their narrative battles (instead of only the  "here are the games of my last tournament" batreps).  It's a far more creative board than the others I know. And I'm thankful for it. AoS is not perfect but in many cases it's a very nice game for the creative players creating there own part of a near infinite world (stuff that wasn't as possible in WHFB or still isn't in historical games because of the background).

1 hour ago, Screwface said:

That's nonsense, clearly being happy isn't always a choice. 

While I agree that seeing repetitive, unconstructive negativity is draining, let's not be intolerant of those who for whatever reason are in a negative space. This place might be a haven for them as much as for anyone.

I think expecting a place with so many members all around the world to be a non-stop positivity shop is unrealistic.

Name calling and personal insults are another matter and of course should be dealt with.

Yes, that was an hyperbole, but if you have the chance to take that choice you should, and that's because ourselves are the first to benefit from keeping this a friendly enviroment.

When I talk to my friends in "real life" I try be be as friendly as possible, if they are pessimistic I try to cheer them up.

I started playing this game around the last december, and in my playgroup we are only 3. One of my friends played Seraphon and liked Slaanesh, so he got a start collecting Daemons of Slaanesh, but then he was disappointed, there aren't that many things to get for Slaanesh , a couple of chariots, daemonettes either mounted or not and that's it, for seraphon there are 31 kits and for Slaanesh there are 13. So I told him to not be sad, 13 kits is not that bad, but I did not stop here, as soon as I got home I started searching for things for him to field, so I found out that he could field Slaves to Darkness if he marked the with the mark of Slaanesh.

You know what was the next thing he did after I told him so? He bought a start collecting Slaves to Darkness, and he was happy.

If we are posite as a whole everyone would tend to happyness, if you can cheer up someone who is sad you should do it.

Archived