The Gharuki Forest Duardin (Update 20/10/2018 BIG UPDATE! - Army overview! And Armies on Parade now!)

@Double Misfire Thanks dude! Thumbs up dwarfs are my new favourite form of approval.

9 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Where did you end up sourcing the Gyrocopter bits from in the end? :)

With great difficulty! I scoured every part of the internet to find them, and also have a second painted gyrocopter but without the top rotor. One of the employees at my local GW is helping me source 2 more rotors and some heads, and I’m gonna buy one more gyro to make a squadron of three, which should allow me to have a squad of 6 endrinriggers. Then I’m giving up on the worlds most expensive conversion.

@Mordeus thanks mate I love them ?

Edited by Brad Gamma
  • Like 2

As promised, here are some pictures of my armies on parade board as I made it. 

IMG-20180902-WA0003.jpeg.6b5653397115186371ab0d4a6e3df81c.jpeg

First up the board itself. Styrofoam in a wooden frame. I'll make 5 more of these eventually so I can play some games with my tree! 

IMG-20180916-WA0003.jpeg.5262b8cc2df111b7718065c194e3100a.jpeg

Here is me figuring out how it would work conceptually with some spare normal foam

IMG-20180917-WA0003.jpeg.c8bb69d0a08309a017eac4e488645a11.jpeg

Starting to print the entrance building, designing the door frame. 

IMG-20180922-WA0001.jpeg.2d1b531ff611357cfd527dec625786e7.jpeg

Balcony window frame doodad

IMG_20180923_005205.jpg.7d575351d3bb167e66942589e5ed7bac.jpg

The entrance building taking shape. A mix of plasticard, textured and plain. 

IMG-20180923-WA0012.jpg.cc8a1c2c4efa06d22707495e8ac1b755.jpg

Cut out the main shape of the tree and recessed my entrance building into the ground. 

IMG-20180926-WA0000.jpeg.7056f40f29bfee9ec0ada1c53b42d5ea.jpeg

Carved the tree into shape and then added an apoxie sculpt layer that I moulded into bark using icing moulds and silicon sculpting tools. Was much more difficult than I thought! 

IMG_20181002_165834.jpg.8c46d28bb604caa122a71700945e4309.jpg

I then sculpted little hills for the cannon placements with remaining foam and polyfiillad them in place. I used rocks from the garden to line the tree. I then cut little tiles out of plasticard and laid them in a patio pattern I googled, to make the road. This picture is it then primed. 

IMG-20181003-WA0000.jpeg.70c36632f59152e2a4634d2455df3817.jpeg

As part of the build I made my own washes. The one in the middle is agrax earthsahde and the one on the right is my own, except I now have 2 litres of it! Google Luke's APS wash tutorial for a guide. 

IMG-20181004-WA0000.jpeg.308357d61112fc1d39e85dc70dcf0745.jpeg

After painting and dry brushing the tree and ground I started to build the platforms and began placing leaves and moss everywhere. Painting dioramas is so much harder than minis because you can't reach things! 

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 4

19 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Did you create the lines on the shields using splines? (Heard rhino was good due to the easy handling of the Programm, so I might consider switching to it for simple hard surface objects) =}

I did use splines. The tree was just fiddling about with poly curves until it looked a bit like a tree and then mirroring it. The knotted pattern round the edge was done by setting up some control points for a portion, doing a polar array of those points and drawing a spline between them for one wavey curve, then duplicating and rotating it slightly to get the second wavey curve. I remember it being a really tricky once I wanted to make them 3d and patch them onto the surface of a curved shield. 

I really like Rhino 3D. I wouldn't say I'm the most experienced with other packages, but mostly because I give up and go back to rhino. Whether that's because it's easy to use, or it was just the thing I learnt first is hard to say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ninelives said:

Did you have gaming in mind as well when building your army on parade board ?

Thanks! I made some decisions so I could play with the board in the future, but I didn't focus on it too much. For example, the road ends before the board edge so that if I make other board pieces I don't have any issue lining up. It would be fun to do a defence scenario where the outpost is attacked, but castling up can get boring quickly. If I do ever make the other 5 pieces, i'll post them up here.

16 hours ago, Mordeus said:

Mamma mia! Good job on the win! Are you going to do the propeller treatment to some of the bigger ships :D ?

Cheers :) 

I maaay give it a go. I have some ideas but I need to make sure I can get the design right and source the bits. If I did do it, it would probably be only once and most likely I would go straight for the Ironclad.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ninelives said:

Did you have gaming in mind as well when building your army on parade board ?

Thanks! I made some decisions so I could play with the board in the future, but I didn't focus on it too much. For example, the road ends before the board edge so that if I make other board pieces I don't have any issue lining up. It would be fun to do a defence scenario where the outpost is attacked, but castling up can get boring quickly. If I do ever make the other 5 pieces, i'll post them up here.

16 hours ago, Mordeus said:

Mamma mia! Good job on the win! Are you going to do the propeller treatment to some of the bigger ships :D ?

Cheers :) 

I maaay give it a go. I have some ideas but I need to make sure I can get the design right and source the bits. If I did do it, it would probably be only once and most likely I would go straight for the Ironclad.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just have to reply here. This army is utterly spectacular - The board in particular is amazing! This is probably the best army i've seen to date, with such a rare concept - Tree Dwarves! I hope you won't mind if I incorporate a few aspects of your army into my Free City. Keep up the good work!

Note: I encountered your army on Double Misfire's Blog: https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/city-spotlight-chris-burwoods-gharuki.html

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey Brad, 

Your Gharuki Forest Duardins are truly impressive! I am currently working on my own personalised CoS dwarf army. I have one question. Is it possible for You to share an stl file of a shield with us? I don't need Your custom made tree emblem on it as I am going to make my own, but if I had a sprue with shields assigned and in proper proportions it would be a lot easier for me.

Thanks, 

Peter

• 2 weeks later...