The Doomed City of Candle Heart (24/6 Eli Pinkerton joins the ranks)

Lardidar

Originally just a camping spot for a larger expedition the foolheart tribe quickly discovered the large deposits of ore and set about making a permanent settlement, trade was established with surrounding areas and the tribe named the area Candle Heart. The village grew over the ages and managed to avoid conflict with all but the occasional marauding force of savage beasts. During the age of chaos a realmgate was discovered, it became known as the well of tears as nobody that had ever entered had returned. Amongst the ores the now collective of men and duradin found strange green gems that nobody could seem to identify. In the weeks that passed the discovery  the town was approached by an envoy of Nagash, they were told the great necromancer had allowed them to continue to live unmolested but now they had to start paying for that privilege with the green stone.

The town elders terrified of what may happen should they anger the great necromancer agreed but paid Kharadron trade fleets to carry  envoys of their own to the other grand cities of men. Months past and the fleets returned with scholars, wizards and soldiers from Sigmars armies. The tribesmen were given a choice, bend the knee to Sigmar and receive the help of the combined forces of a collegiate and free-guild or continue as a independent tribe and take their chances with the dead. The elders agreed to a man that Sigmar would now rule.

Over the coming years the city and it's standing army grew, gone were the tribesmen. Now there was a battalion of well trained and due to the wealth of the town well armed soldiers, joined by a small contingent from the new colleges of magic. The 'tithe' as it had become known due to the green gem being almost exactly one tenth of the ore removed from the mines was still sent to Nagash and the people of Candle Heart lived good lives. The duradin had taken to crafting grand statues of Sigmars chosen the Stormcast  and the city had become something of a destination to travelling diplomats and adventurers.

It was the scholar Karlfus Drenn that made the shocking discovery. The gems were no precious stone, they were the souls of the dead absorbed by the mountains and compressed into gems. The city was in uproar when it found out that for the last seventeen years they had been giving away their loved ones..they demanded it stop. For the first time in the history of Candle Heart the city prepared for war.

They were wiped out within moments of declaring Nagash enemy, the great necromancer cast one dreadful spell and the sands of the Endless dessert lashed the city, people died screaming as their skin was sand blasted from their skeleton.

The great necromancer laughed at the arrogance of man and prepared the incantation to reap the souls of dead.

The god king Sigmar mourned the loss of his men and prepared the incantation to set the souls to peace.

As both mighty warriors spells swept over the city the souls were bound to the carcasses...neither god could gain the upper hand.

And so they awoke, bodies dead but souls intact and the will of the people to reap revenge on Nagash. Only necromancers death can finally stutter out the flame on the people of Candle Heart.

Hi all, I'm going to use this thread to keep track of my freeguild army as it takes shape for AOS2

Now I'm no writer but I thought I'd make an attempt to have a  narrative army that is also used in matched play.

I rolled up a free city and ended with the city of Candle Heart, set in the realm of Shyish. Populated by humans in the most part but with it's rich mines Duradin have been drawn to the city. The rumours of reptilian ghosts are brought up around the bars and campfires but quickly forgotten come daylight.

I rolled three significant features getting  ore deposits, duradin masons with a liking for statues of stormcast and the lingering catastrophe...This led me to having a go at that little narrative.

So the plan is to get ready for path to glory first..10 swords, 10 xbows and 10 guns plus a general. From there I will probably just take the army to 1k then onto 2k.

I hope you enjoy the ride, please leave any comment and suggestions.

P1016118.JPG.e11677850a6fe8949f3124750131bc15.JPGIMG-20180515-WA0015.jpg.1f9700467b1139585598b0888a359958.jpg

Augustus Krane was brought over to Candle Heart from the Ghyran, leaving his wife Hannah and child Viktor in the realm of life. He took an instant dislike to the entire realm of death but as an expert marksman he had been given the commision to train the regiment of handgunners and he needed the money to send back home for Viktors education. His families names were the last words he uttered before Nagash's spell tore the flesh from his bones.

P1016121.JPG.abe895b46e3a6f4ad02a4ed74fb3817e.JPG

It was General Gravin who gave the order to ride to war against the great necromancer. So confident was he that victory was undeniable that the battle plans were rushed and the warnings from Uralius of a collegiate arcane that strange magic was brewing were ignored.

When Nagash cast his Necrostorm and wiped out the city Gravin tried to flee into the safety of the  buildings, as punishment, after their undeath the the people of candle heart removed his legs and tied him to the the banner of the cities champion, a reminder to all those that no matter the odds you do not flee.

His soul remains, screaming.

P1016126.JPG.eff38b4833c90d0d57dfe91a0e84e1f9.JPG

Thanks, I'm enjoying it too. got 9 swordsmen until it's at a path to glory level. I then have to do a little work to my IronJaws to make them AOS2 ready. I have a Griffon ready to go though. I really fancy painting him.

The lore is a big experiment for me but already I'm feeling like this army is mine...rather than just another freeguild force. I wish they would do more generators, makes for some fun concepts. 

13 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

Thanks, I'm enjoying it too. got 9 swordsmen until it's at a path to glory level. I then have to do a little work to my IronJaws to make them AOS2 ready. I have a Griffon ready to go though. I really fancy painting him.

The lore is a big experiment for me but already I'm feeling like this army is mine...rather than just another freeguild force. I wish they would do more generators, makes for some fun concepts. 

That's the fun in adding lore and story to your army. It shows your passion for the hobby and the effort you put into your work. 

Agree with using generators. I have spent countless hours writing stories and lore for my dwarfs, orcs and ogres and they have been very helpful giving me ideas for naming characters, cities, and other nonsense. 

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you do with your Ironjawz. I've attached my army's blog below in case you want some inspiration 

23 minutes ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you do with your Ironjawz. I've attached my army's blog below in case you want some inspiration 

They are actually painted, I'll pop them all in a blog, just going to be adding some ardboys. I'll definitely check out yours when I get a break...never see enough orruks!

I'd love some narrative, I have never really wandered out of matched play but it is an interesting concept

31 minutes ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Incredible story and painting mate. Really enjoying this thread, please get them into some narrative play!

• 2 weeks later...

Ole Pinkerton and his brother Eli were both respected members of Candleheart community, both working as blacksmiths in the cities forges. The brothers born in the realm of Ghur came to Shyish eight years ago after Eli's magical abilities started to come to the fore and they were driven from their home.

Ole, however, was a talented swordsman and took on the role of captain in the cities militia guard. When the call to war came to both brothers were the first to join the force.

P1016118.JPG.e11677850a6fe8949f3124750131bc15.JPG.1cd03d1aea44f1e96d4eb6b7b622f279.JPGP1016129.JPG.1cc9920aa479279c1f98f018353acce9.JPG

P1016130.JPG.e56e0e715a2e0f55af68bef26c6989cb.JPG

And while it looks like I took the picture on a potato (army shots are not my thing) here is the first 500pts.

Joining the army soon (next 500pts) will be Eli Pinkerton, a beasts wizard caught in death between man and beast, ten man additions to Ole Pinkerton's swordsmen and the as yet unnamed crossbows. Also a mighty warrior who has tamed a noble griffon and rides it to war.

• Lardidar changed the title to The Doomed City of Candle Heart (19/6/18 First 500pts done)
19 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Really nice work. Would you mind sharing how you achieved the glowing blue please

Sure, it is very simple.

It is P3 Frostbite (2 thin layers) an all over wash of P3 Turquoise ink, highlight with frostbite...a little white if you want to push the highlight. I then nuln oil between the fingers and in the eye sockets/ teeth

Eli Pinkerton was always an odd child, he spent more time working with the animals on his farm than he ever did with the other children. Only his brother Eli would keep him company.

On his twelfth birthday his powers were discovered, at will, he could imbue himself with the strength of a mountain bear, although the effects on his body were horrifying to behold. His parents sickened by what they saw called the village watch and Eli was condemned as a follower of the horned rat and sentenced to death by burning. His brother helped him escape and together they fled, eventually finding refuge in the city of Candleheart. The saint of the burning flame gave the boys sanctuary and they have been loyal members of the church ever since.

On the day of Nagash's spell, Eli thought his prodigious strength would be an aid to Candleheart...Now his soul is forever trapped in his mutated form.

P1016131.JPG.cf5532bb58ef74290934728229f6b952.JPG

• Lardidar changed the title to The Doomed City of Candle Heart (24/6 Eli Pinkerton joins the ranks)

Archived