What does Destruction need?

rattila

Hey everyone!

i was looking at the units available to Destruction armies, and i tought that we dont we have a lot of new units (like post world-that-was).

So looking at what we have, we have little monsters units, (ogors), big monsters units (bcr, arachnarok, maw krusha), a lots of orruk of different kinds for smashing and a lot of grots. We also have a few warmachine.

But to me, we lack two kinds of units: flying units and shooting units.

I think its a lack both in the game and in the hobby.

I dont know if wishlisting is allowed here, but i'd like to exchange ideas for future customisation. 

For instance, i tought of making a unit of ogor with javelin/harpoon (= leadbelchers).

Or a unit of flying squigs hopper. That would also be a great option for the game, and models will be sure funny as hell.

What do you think?

I'm not very experienced with the game, but from what I have played I really wish we had better ways of dealing with screens. Every game I play I end up stuck fighting skinks or vulkites or horrors while having no real way to get at the characters they are shielding. I agree that ranged or another flying unit or something that just tears huge units apart fast would be the most helpful, at least for how I would like to play.

For what it’s worth with my Suneater Tribes tome I have tried to fill gaps in the destruction roster with:

Mounted monstrous Wizards

Priests

Elite Shooting Ogors

Totem unit warmachines

Artillery

Mid point flying hero

Mounted shooting Ogors

We have several shooting options, just lack quality shooting at this time. Hopefully new battletomes with new warscrolls will address this. A few examples of what we have are both types of Grots, Ogor leadbelchers, arrerboys, and orruks with bows. No doubt I'm probably missing some options.

I've been dreaming of flying squigs myself lately, and really hope Moonclan Grots with bows are improved. Want to build some for variety in my slowly growing Moonclan force but I just don't see a decent role for them currently. I'm not even a competitive player and still can't convince myself that they are useful.

I am not sure that Moonclan grots with bows will get much better.  Thematically they live in caves, prefer darkness, mainly come out and attack at night, and the sun hurts their eyes and skin.  This is pretty much a recipe for poor bowmen.

Now, they make make some squig types that emphasize ranged attacks.  If they steal some of the ideas from Warhammer online then there are a couple squigs that fired blobs of goo or shot spines from their backs.

What grots lack in 'bowmanship', they would easily make up  in sneakiness, ruses, poisons, sheer number of shots, speed, darkvision, eating mushroom power ups, etc.

But any grot could be a fantastic bowmen if only it lived long enough.

Strong magic, or any magic at all. If the next edition brings 50+ spells, plus realm specific rules to be used by casters, not having any of those seems like a huge handicap.

Some sort of movment manipulation is important too, with so few models on the table it is hard to hold objectives or relocate to push opponents of theirs.

From what we've seen so far, what mixed destruction and non-tome armies lack is battalions and free summoning. I'm sure there is stuff yet to be revealed that may bring us back to a level playing field, but tbh I'm nervous that it's not gunna happen... 

Wish List (blame @heywoah_twitch and his plastic yetis)

Beastclaw

• Leadbelchers on Mournfang
  • Plastic Yetis
  • Giant Yetis (Abominable snowmen) that get the tundertusk breath attack
  • Wolf-riding grots
  • Huskard on Mournfang
  • Some sort of wizard on mournfang

Gitmob

Ironjawz

• Megaboss on Goregrunta
  • Weirdnob on Maw-Krusha
  • Bigger Brutes
  • Warchanter on Goregrunta
  • Goregruntas with throwing weapons
  • Ardboys with throwing weapons (Pilums)

Greenskinz

• Snotlings!
  • Great Shaman on Boar (new warscroll)
  • Crossbow Orruks
  • Some sort of warmachine
  • Wild Wyverns
  • Cannons which fire Snotlings!

Spiderfang

• Shaman on Gigantic Spider
  • Grot Big boss on Arachnarok
  • Spiderlings!
  • Spider Grotaur
  • Incarnation of the Spider-God (think Alarielle but more Green!!!)

Troggoths

• Throgg 2.0
  • Snotlings!
  • Fimir!

Grot Skypirates

• Dead Dorfs
  • Snotlings!

14 hours ago, Malakree said:

Ironjawz

• Megaboss on Goregrunta
  • Weirdnob on Maw-Krusha
  • Bigger Brutes

maybe add,

• Weirdnob on goregrunta
  • Named Weirdnob
  • Named Warchanter
  • Named Megaboss on foot
  • A New Different hero
  • Ardboy Hero
  • Just a Maw-Krusha without a rider?

With all the options Stormcast or others have, I see no reason all of this can't happen.

yeah, name characters would be very nice, no matter what sub faction, special chacters seem to not cost a lot more then normal dudes, but have some super powerful rules.  A destruction versio of Kroak would be nice. Some all factions super gorkan prophet. Something like a chariot, but instead of gorgruntas pulling it, it would be pulled by two Stonehorns.

My wishlist

Aleguzzler Gargant

• Heavily armored Gargant
  • Gargant with giant Leadbelcher cannon
  • Gargant with wings
  • Gargant with a giant keg of ale
  • FW Gargant riding giant dragon of doom

Ironjawz

• Ardboy on boars 
  • Ardboy with Crossbows
  • Brutes riding smaller flying dragons
  • Megaboss on Goregrunta
  • Warbeast unit like Gryph-hounds
  • more named characters

Beastclaw Raider

• Some sort of Spellcaster 
  • Infantry Ogors 
  • Grot riding Sabertooth tigers
  • a new Frostbeast mount of some kind
  • Named characters

MoonClan

• Mushroom headed Grot infantry
  • Warboss/ Shaman on Gigantic squig mount
  • Plastic Mangler squig
  • Mangler squig sized cavalry unit
  • Squig Artillery
  • Fungloid Troggaths
  • Mushroom terrain pieces
  • More squigs

Grotbag Scuttlers

• Grot Sky captain with an Admiral hat
  • Flying Squigs or Squig Hot Air baloons
  • Grot Doomdiver units
  • Squig bombers Airship
  • Hammerhead Airship (so I can reenact that Rogue one scene and have it ram it into a KO Ironclad)

-Spouse for troggoth hag, like troggoth boss 

-Troggoth hags from different troggoth races

-More troggoths

-Troggoth scenery, maybe some trashpile that gives negatives to enemies and positivies to troggoths...

29 minutes ago, Morhgoz said:

-Troggoth scenery, maybe some trashpile that gives negatives to enemies and positivies to troggoths...

Troggoth Lairs, 2 terrain pieces - 180 points

Place them before the first unit is deployed. Place them at least 18" away from each other, one of them must be at least 9" away from enemy territory.

Enemy units suffer -1 to hit while within 6" of any lairs. If an enemy wizard attempts to cast a spell or a predatory spell ends it's movement within 6" of a lair you may roll a d6. On a 6 then the foul magics and fetishes surrounding the lair unbind the spell. A wizard who is attempting to cast has their spell unbound in this way they d3 mortal wounds. 

Any troggoth unit which is wholly within 6" of the lair at the end of your movement phase may enter the lair. Troggoths inside a lair may roll their regeneration as normal. In addition at the end of each of your turns the unit heals d6 additional wounds, if this brings all remaining models in the unit to full health and the has suffered casualties roll a d6 for each heal you have remaining, on a 3+ you may revive one of the casualties.

At the start of your movement phase any unit in a Troggoth Lair may exit the lairs. Place them on the on the battlefield wholly within 6" of any lair on the board, this counts as their movement for the turn.

Really clumsily worded but I hope you can see what I was going for. Gives some cool thematic terrain, helps add mobility and reinforces the regeneration aspect of the army even giving a way to bring units back up to full strength.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, Malakree said:

Wish List (blame @heywoah_twitch and his plastic yetis)

Beastclaw

• Leadbelchers on Mournfang
  • Plastic Yetis
  • Giant Yetis (Abominable snowmen) that get the tundertusk breath attack
  • Wolf-riding grots
  • Huskard on Mournfang
  • Some sort of wizard on mournfang

Gitmob

Ironjawz

• Megaboss on Goregrunta
  • Weirdnob on Maw-Krusha
  • Bigger Brutes

Greenskinz

• Snotlings!
  • Great Shaman on Boar (new warscroll)
  • Crossbow Orruks
  • Some sort of warmachine
  • Wild Wyverns
  • Cannons which fire Snotlings!

Spiderfang

• Shaman on Gigantic Spider
  • Grot Big boss on Arachnarok
  • Spiderlings!
  • Spider Grotaur
  • Incarnation of the Spider-God (think Alarielle but more Green!!!)

Troggoths

• Throgg 2.0
  • Snotlings!
  • Fimir!

Grot Skypirates

• Dead Dorfs
  • Snotlings!

Bonesplitterz....

A plastic combo kit that can make a mounted wurrgog or big boss.

Some kind of totem bearer would not be amiss.

The army really needs some sort of elite infantry with some kind of armor and ap attack. I picture NOBs covered in bone armor, with big choppas.

Some kind of alternate deployment skirmisher unit. I picture them as the guys who actually track and flush out prey.

Lastly they need some sort of center piece unit. My vote would be for squiggoths with net and harpoon launchers to help bring down bigger prey.

Thats my wish list.

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 11:30 PM, bonzai said:

Bonesplitterz....

A plastic combo kit that can make a mounted wurrgog or big boss.

Some kind of totem bearer would not be amiss.

The army really needs some sort of elite infantry with some kind of armor and ap attack. I picture NOBs covered in bone armor, with big choppas.

Some kind of alternate deployment skirmisher unit. I picture them as the guys who actually track and flush out prey.

Lastly they need some sort of center piece unit. My vote would be for squiggoths with net and harpoon launchers to help bring down bigger prey.

Thats my wish list.

I'd add new transforming unit along the lines of Morath or the Eidolons for the centerpiece. I'd prefer the transforming unit, as it allows more tactical flexibility and because we have all known that transformers are cool since we were 5. 

I'm thinking it would start as a squishy priest/totem bearer that buffs units (a combination of bravery, extra attacks, movement) which transforms into a big ass Avatar of Gork/Mork (a giant orky being of pure WAAAGH! energy)  that replaces the priest on the board. I'd also add a twist that if the Priest gets within 6" of combat he has to transform, because WAAAGH! 

I think the Avatar could a single kit that can be built in two flavours. Gork is a melee powerhouse (with some damn rend!) and Mork is a spell caster with that does well in combat. Basically, WAAAGH! versions of the Eidolons the Deepking have. Both would hand out bravery and possibly attack or magic buffs in a bubble to create some synergy with the Bonesplitterz. 

An Avatar of Gork/Mork made of WAAAGH! energy and summoned by the power of the Bonesplitterz belief in Gorkamorka would be super fluffy and fill the biggest hole in the army. 

Archived