The Sultan's Fleet

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side note, I had imagined if Araby were in AOS they would be from Hyish. They would heavily use elementals for things and be a high society not pressed for mundane things  warfare. Essentially high elf’s that keep to themselves and use much more magic and tinker.

I really like your take on the drowned fleet. The golden magus reminds me of the character from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

7046B003-BDAB-431E-B148-D9EFA43CA28B.jpeg.efbd9208aec86904589ce3b1c9d758de.jpeg

not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing, taking reference from a white washed film of Arabian characters.. but I love those old Ray Harryhausen films lol (speaking of which, putting together some new wizard conversions and these films are source material.... *caugh* kharadron head)

Time Line 

A Whole New World: The Golden Magus spends centuries exploring the confines of his new realm gaining power and blessed mutations from The Changer of Ways. When he finally deigned to return it was in a cold realm and face to face with the Undying King.

New Loyalties: After pledging his services to Nagash, The Golden Magus becomes the Mortarch of Treason, spreading the soul blight plague as well as opening new gateways for the forces of Shyish; while at the same time spreading the arcane cults of Tzeentch throughout the newly established free cities.

Old Friends, New Enemies: realizing that even he has his limits and wishing for more time with his harem, the Golden Magus uses his knowledge of clockwork and necromancy to revive Jaego Roth and Aranessa Bloodspite, to serve under him as captains of the Dread Fleet. At the same time he manages to alienate himself from the other mortarchs except for the Mortarch of Grief, gifting her the Shadewraith in order to help her spread her Nighthaunt forces.

City of Prophecy: the Magus tries to set up an outpost in Excelsis in order to siphon off prophecies, only for his clockwork men to be found out by the legendary White Reaper. In the ensuing battle one of the remaining arcanite cults in the city is destroyed, as well as any evidence tying the Golden Magus to the cult and allowing him to scout out the Coast of Tusks for new monsters to summon for his master.

More tomorrow!

23 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Side note, I had imagined if Araby were in AOS they would be from Hyish. They would heavily use elementals for things and be a high society not pressed for mundane things  warfare. Essentially high elf’s that keep to themselves and use much more magic and tinker.

I really like your take on the drowned fleet. The golden magus reminds me of the character from The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

7046B003-BDAB-431E-B148-D9EFA43CA28B.jpeg.efbd9208aec86904589ce3b1c9d758de.jpeg

not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing, taking reference from a white washed film of Arabian characters.. but I love those old Ray Harryhausen films lol (speaking of which, putting together some new wizard conversions and these films are source material.... *caugh* kharadron head)

Unfortunately the Sultan's Fleet is based off the Dread Fleet Novella, in which the Golden Magus gains control of a sea based underworld and is a sorcerer of Tzeentch, while units from Araby will Return, the Galleons Graveyard belongs in Shyish as of official lore.

48 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Took a lot less time to find them than I thought. But wow has photobucket degenerated..

extra things like ogre and hashassin 

E9D73099-66AC-4205-A982-8F462B4B28C1.jpeg.eb0d5ac56f52ec8c6f60c9e3f10fdf10.jpegB6FB8838-F47D-42EE-9FFD-FBF89D54CA5E.jpeg.76721a3cab3a626e702ce9f95fe501b0.jpegC2DD0DEE-DFF6-4FF6-A50F-009A3E6CF43D.jpeg.3097e653d933e8e56a7ad3b352e1fc16.jpegA6FDD56F-EDEA-4FFC-8DEC-47FD0493534B.jpeg.26b771ca296bb46b0d3b8b3032f545e0.jpegC3F0E5FF-AC7E-4CD1-A1E5-5312FC421420.jpeg.d415341da932213445eacdb55b0339d2.jpeg

I wouldn’t normally post pictures in someone else’s thread, but it was requested. Not wanting to steal OP thread and content

Not a problem!

At the time I was trying to use the twin tailed comet/ Sigmar as the quasi prophet, so like the ogres sword, there would be others with a twin tailed comet hilt scimitar.

The Ogre is a bad example of too historical, and also made him look much fatter than he should have been (unit filler for great swords lol). Least to say, he will not be getting remade. I do have a wizard that I will be remaking, literally just bought a new model for him. but since I cannot find the same staff head, I may have to scalp his.. which makes a side by side not a thing =(

As you have it currently your drowned are more elite than your Men o Bones. They have two more attacks a piece and a rend plus enemies can’t retreat. I’d move the rend off the drowned and into the Bones and give the bones either a 5 or 6 up armour save. As it stands the drowned would likely cost more than Bones and still be a preferable choice. Also you could look at unit upgrades in the men of Bones (can’t remember the name of the dude but those guys who whipped the slaves to row faster maybe giving them a run and charge, or a spooky deployment method of pulling themselves out of any reflective surface.

as for not wanting to mimic the aethersea you could have them creepy in that all water sources big enough are portals to their underworld. Literally having them dragging themselves out of puddles and barrels of water before unleashing tides of water to bring through bulk of force

3 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

As you have it currently your drowned are more elite than your Men o Bones. They have two more attacks a piece and a rend plus enemies can’t retreat. I’d move the rend off the drowned and into the Bones and give the bones either a 5 or 6 up armour save. As it stands the drowned would likely cost more than Bones and still be a preferable choice. Also you could look at unit upgrades in the men of Bones (can’t remember the name of the dude but those guys who whipped the slaves to row faster maybe giving them a run and charge, or a spooky deployment method of pulling themselves out of any reflective surface.

as for not wanting to mimic the aethersea you could have them creepy in that all water sources big enough are portals to their underworld. Literally having them dragging themselves out of puddles and barrels of water before unleashing tides of water to bring through bulk of force

I like the idea that the dread fleet can appear through water. As for the Men O Bones here is the new war scrollmen-o-bones.jpg.00d98f4647f3994e5a19101a0fb19c19.jpg

I’d change the pistol to 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, rend -1 and a range of 8 inches. Currently it doesn’t fire further than a sword but has the accuracy of an expert marksman which is a bit weird. Mortal wound generation that prolific will make the unit expensive in points 

10 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I’d change the pistol to 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, rend -1 and a range of 8 inches. Currently it doesn’t fire further than a sword but has the accuracy of an expert marksman which is a bit weird. Mortal wound generation that prolific will make the unit expensive in points 

Good point, I’ll remove the mortal wounds(I think we have enough of those so far) and keep the battleshock bit. The pistol at 4 Hiram’s wound works for me. Do you have any unit ideas you would like to see?

I’ll havd a play about with scrolls when I get back to my hotel but currently thinking of:

Accursed Chest warmachine - literally a cursed treasure chest with an aura debuffing or making enemies betray each other cursed with the same greed that cursed the pirates. Possibly charged up by the number of enemies who have fled due to battleshock as it captures souls of cowards

11 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I’ll havd a play about with scrolls when I get back to my hotel but currently thinking of:

Accursed Chest warmachine - literally a cursed treasure chest with an aura debuffing or making enemies betray each other cursed with the same greed that cursed the pirates. Possibly charged up by the number of enemies who have fled due to battleshock as it captures souls of cowards

Yeah that could be interesting, I have a casket of souls that is sadly only being held together by green stuff that can be used for conversion. also what do you think of this for a hero

Shanty Man- these former musicians kept the crews in line by playing their instruments to the orders of the captain, now they play endlessly pushing the cursed crews to continue on their dreadful work.

Sounds good for an aura support hero, perhaps two different tunes:

The Gallows Ballad - a somber tune played by those brave enough to risk the city guards ire to commemorate their ilk as they march to the gallows. Friendly units within 12 inches of this model may run and charge in the same turn as they are reinvigorated by memories and rage of their demise.

The Sirens Song: Long have these heroes mastered the alluring song of the sirens and magically harnesses it to conches. Select an enemy unit within 12 inches and roll a dice. One a 4+ you may immediately MOVE, SHOOT or ATTACK with that unit as though it were your own and as though it were the relevant phase 

I like the The Gallows Ballad, but I think The Sirens Song should be with the sea nymph(warscroll to be made later this afternoon as well as artwork) how about this.

The Fiddlers Promise: though it is often a lie, this tune is played to rally the crew with the dream of a just reward! Select one friendly unit, on a 4+ it gains D3 models back, if no models have been lost it heals D3 wounds.

17 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

I like the The Gallows Ballad, but I think The Sirens Song should be with the sea nymph(warscroll to be made later this afternoon as well as artwork) how about this.

The Fiddlers Promise: though it is often a lie, this tune is played to rally the crew with the dream of a just reward! Select one friendly unit, on a 4+ it gains D3 models back, if no models have been lost it heals D3 wounds.

Would limit that to specific units, for example give various unit the “Crew of the Damned” keyword and target that, otherwise could be op for monsterous infantry units etc.

New unit: Black Water Janisaries.

The descendants of the Magus's original ogor crew. The Golden Magus used twisted arcane rituals to increase their intelligence and strength. Each Blackwater Janisarri pledges himself to the service of tzeentch and are gifted with strange gifts as a result. The Blackwater Janisaries guard the Golden Magus's person and treasures, wielding flaming scimitars and devious pistols that fire the stuff of souls.

blackwater-janisaries.jpg.8931bcaa5472667cacf961ada3a4586e.jpg

on further notice I plan on making the scimitars 2 damage.

Hey everyone, Im toying with the idea oft different magus war scrolls. one as a sorcerer lord of Tzeentch, the other as him being The lord of the Dreadfleet riding on his Dread Abysssal Karranoth, The Slithering Scourge, or should I just have him be one model?

35 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Just moved this topic to the Narrative/Open play section due to the content (although I was torn where to move it to, to be honest). Very interesting and showing how great AOS is for these sorts of projects

Thanks, do you have any ideas lorewise? 

I am sorry about the lack of conversion pictures being posted on the page, I am currently going through finals until  next Wednesday(being a sophomore sucks), and will be working on converting and painting the moment the last bubble is completely filled. Until then your ideas and support are appreciated in this endeavor.

Looking good on the Sultan, the weaponry and most of the core abilities look good, since he is a named character it’s a bit of a weird exception to let him take relics since no other bamed character can but I understand it reflects his treasure hoard, without seeing how the relics can interact with his scroll it’s hard to gauge if its balanced or not.

I’d recommend dropping his spell casting to two rather than three. Currently he’s more magical than Arkhan (arguably the magic mortarch) and can cast as much as Nagash (a god).

The command ability might be a bit much it’s three powerful bonuses on every model within range is probably the strongest ability I’ve seen in the command ability slot.

also I think he’s missing the monster keyword the other mortarch have,

8 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Looking good on the Sultan, the weaponry and most of the core abilities look good, since he is a named character it’s a bit of a weird exception to let him take relics since no other bamed character can but I understand it reflects his treasure hoard, without seeing how the relics can interact with his scroll it’s hard to gauge if its balanced or not.

I’d recommend dropping his spell casting to two rather than three. Currently he’s more magical than Arkhan (arguably the magic mortarch) and can cast as much as Nagash (a god).

The command ability might be a bit much it’s three powerful bonuses on every model within range is probably the strongest ability I’ve seen in the command ability slot.

also I think he’s missing the monster keyword the other mortarch have,

Sorry about that, I had forgotten how many spells nags can cast(mostly because I don't own him and therefore don't constantly review the war scroll), I thought I had placed the monster keyword after the wizard keyword, but I was wrong.

As for the command ability, would be open to suggestions on how to change it.

Archived