Profanity Filter

Ollie Grimwood

On 5/21/2018 at 8:37 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

Can we have the phase Fanboi added to the filter please.  It is only used as a insult in attempt to diminish someone who actually likes what they do, in fact exactly the sort of person TGA was designed for 

Isn't it written "Fanboy". I never have seen it with an 'i' before. But yes, in most cases it's used as an insult for GW-Customers.

1 minute ago, EMMachine said:

Isn't it written "Fanboy". I never have seen it with an 'i' before. But yes, in most cases it's used as an insult for GW-Customers.

It was written with an i the time I saw it just before I made the post and it particularly irritated me. Good catch though both spellings to the filter please

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 3:55 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

It was written with an i the time I saw it just before I made the post and it particularly irritated me. Good catch though both spellings to the filter please

If it's written with an i, it's meant as an insult. Of course fanboy as a term is usually used as an insult anyway.

But I'd prefer it not be in the filter. I'm a fanboy sometimes dammit. We can be called such. Stop having such thin skin.

40 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

If it's written with an i, it's meant as an insult. Of course fanboy as a term is usually used as an insult anyway.

But I'd prefer it not be in the filter. I'm a fanboy sometimes dammit. We can be called such. Stop having such thin skin.

Ok tough guy, you’ll forgive me if I don’t take life advice from someone who doesn’t post under their real name. 

No we won't be adding either of those to the filter. We would prefer people to be a bit mature and not use them in conversation. There's many words that are banded about on this board and across the hobby I hate (Sigmarines and Skwarfs for example), but I would rather people be a bit mature about it. Once or twice in a conversation is fine but if it's something somebody uses all the time it's an issue.

@Ollie Grimwood where has this come up for it to be annoying?

Unrelated profanity filter-related query: I've noticed the word q_u_e_e_r being blocked out. This can certainly be used as a slur but it's also a genuinely useful term used by q_u_e_e_r folks to describe themselves and to describe a whole significant academic field: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_studies

I haven't seen the term used maliciously as a slur on TGA - I don't think it's that kind of community - but I have seen folks use it earnestly and with good meaning as a useful term, as in the Becca Scott thread. Obviously there's ways around it. I used the lumpy phrase 'LGBT-centric', which is more or less fine if not wholly accurate... but it still feels off to see a term people honestly self-identify with blocked out. Twitter has the same issue earlier in the year, where some LGBT users were banned for using the word to describe themselves, which was thankfully revoked.

It doesn't come up very often but it doesn't feel great seeing it blocked out. What's the likelihood of TGA removing q_u_e_e_r from the filter?

16 hours ago, sandlemad said:

It doesn't come up very often but it doesn't feel great seeing it blocked out. What's the likelihood of TGA removing q_u_e_e_r from the filter?

All up to @Ben but unfortunately at the moment it is something we do see pop up still (not as often as it used to be). 

Archived