AoS 2e previews

Sception

I stand corrected, as usual. 

Will be interesting how f.e. the portal will effect the game especially with Nagash, who could summon and unsummon with ease in the same round (summon portal, purple sun, hand of dust, orb, soul harvest, etc, then close portal) all with arkhan nearby for +6“ range on all the madness...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Glaurung said:

Spells cost from 20 to 100 points (purple sun), with the average 40-60

source: read the book 

Do you pick which spell your army has on list creation, or can you choose during game like current reinforcement points?

Until we know exactly how the command point system works and how they specifically change how we need to play our armies, it is hard to even theorize how important it will be to have them early in the game.  If you can just bank some for the first two turns you will likely not need to 'buy' them by leaving unused points.

As a current Nighthaunt player, I don't even know if the new Nighthaunt will be able to 'deep-strike' anymore, and if summons will allow me to set them up anywhere or if I will have access to grave sites as well.  The significance of the command points is just so much liquid in our fingers right now I have not even begun to consider their uses.

35 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Do you pick which spell your army has on list creation, or can you choose during game like current reinforcement points?

I think you pick during army creation, but I did not read that part, sorry

So... Do you reckon you'd be able to use Arkhan's command ability three times in a row to make a harvest soul go off with a 21" blast radius that can potentially trigger twice due to locus of Shyish? 

I just had that idea while biking home from work and it made me all fuzzy inside...

I guess you should be able to, but I don't think I'd use all those points to do just that haha 

What I'm currently thinking of is Mannfred+Vhordrai as I said in another thread, one giving rerolls to the other and Vhordrai giving Mannfred two attacks per turn; that coupled with some Morghast in a Grand Host list could become a scary list with lots of threats.

What I think will probably end up being good is possibly another adaptation of the current Nagash builds adapted for the new edition. We'll see though!

12 minutes ago, Elmir said:

So... Do you reckon you'd be able to use Arkhan's command ability three times in a row to make a harvest soul go off with a 21" blast radius that can potentially trigger twice due to locus of Shyish? 

I just had that idea while biking home from work and it made me all fuzzy inside...

It wouldn't surprise me to see a rule where you can only benefit from an ability once - however we've not heard anything about that might not be the case.

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a rule where you can only benefit from an ability once -

That would be nice, had some Skaven dudes whipping the fiends into an unholy frenzy...

but then we‘ll suddenly talk about our deathly invocations, where a lot of opponents are less than happy about.

guess command abilities are another thing. Would be easy and makes sense to restrict to one time use per round... 21“ soul harvest, ridiculous 

Mortarch of Grief reveal:  https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/13/13th-june-the-mortarch-of-grief-unveiledgw-homepage-post-1/

I like her, and I especially like that she's an all new character rather than another old world refugee.  Some bits of the model look a bit frail, and it doesn't do as much as I'd have liked with that big base, but a little scenic basing should help with both of those problems.

8 hours ago, Sception said:

I especially like that she's an all new character rather than another old world refugee

Yes, maybe and I‘m ok with the model, floating ghost (kraken-like) but I‘d like to have a more heartbreaking backstory for Lady O. 

She was a schemer?! A Plotter?! Showed false remorse?!

come on, there could have been something for the Queen of Banshees... the condensing essence of grieving lovers,

or Mistress of the Deepth, Black Ghost of the Sailors, from Nagash‘s clash with the Inoleth, Born of the prayers and the lost souls at the sea 

well something of a story, my wife is a plotter an schemer and shows false remorse, without wearing a blanket over her head

On 6/13/2018 at 4:33 PM, Elmir said:

From the new core rules: "You can use the same command ability several times in the same phase as long as you have enough command points to do so."

Haha..ha..

I have a feeling multiple uses of the same command ability will get prevented by an all new "rule of one".  If it isn't that way from the start, it will be soon after.

As for points changes, spoilers from 4chan leaks:

blood knights are down 20 points, probably not enough to make an actual difference for them.  Castellans are up 60 points, so that price hike entirely cancels out the drop for the blood knights.  lords of sacrament are up 60 points.  Some increase was probably warranted, but... that's a lot.  Deathmarch are up 50 points, entirely unwarranted after the faq nerf.  Nulahmia's up 40, which, I mean, I already thought that wasn't a very good formation.  Same with nightfall, up 30.  First cohort, despite having the asterix indicating a point chainge, is at the same price.

Chainrasps are looking really good as battle line by default and the same points cost as skittles.  Grimghasts are... well, they're a bit cheaper than grave guard, and their batch size is per 10 instead of per 5, so they also get a bigger max size bonus for 30.  I was picturing them as something more elite than that, the models are a bit large and swirly for a unit of 30 to look or feel at all reasonable, but they might not be terrible for the points at least?  Maybe?  Probably not.

The last named character is, as far as I know, another brand new character and not a known oldhammer character, so it seems weird that the mortarch of grief reveal was asking us to guess who it is.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm more than likely going to substitute the skeletons for chainrasps now. I generally run Sacrament lists and there I use 6 to 9 spirit hosts with a cairn wraith, so just going full nighthaunt for my battleline is more than likely a better choice. Imo for their point cost there's really no contest unless you are running a deathrattle synergy list. I'll probably try to include the guardian of souls in there as well to have some more mages that can benefit from the +1 to cast and to have more Nighthaunt synergy. Or maybe I'll use the Spirit Torment for the situational combo with Vanhels + re-roll to hit and to wound on the chainrasps/re-roll to hit on Spirit Hosts.

EDIT: to elaborate, for the same point cost you get a faster, flying, immune to rend unit that has the same bravery, the same save but as said unmodifiable, arguably works better offensively and can get healed just like the skeletons. 

8 minutes ago, Sception said:

Grimghasts are... well, they're a bit cheaper than grave guard, and their batch size is per 10 instead of per 5, so they also get a bigger max size bonus for 30.  I was picturing them as something more elite than that, the models are a bit large and swirly for a unit of 30 to look or feel at all reasonable, but they might not be terrible for the points at least?  Maybe?  Probably not.

Are the Grimghasts battleline?  A unit of 30 is not at all what I expected either, but maybe they are just the Nighthaunt grave guard equivalents.  Still holing out hope that the sword build of them will be more elite.

they're battleline for nighthaunt, along with spirit hosts and hexwraiths.  rasps are battleline for both nighthaunt and legions of nagash.  Between them and skellies, max size skellies are a lot killier, where rasps are faster and tougher and not as dependant on large squad size bonuses, so if you're looking to just fill battleline or get to & camp objectives, then rasps are better, but if you also want to kill things skeletons are better imo.  Both are good at both, though, and both have a lot of relevant buffs specific to them.  I like both, and look forward to have the option of fielding either, or both.

Well if you are really looking at killing some stuff you'll probably use other stuff that works way better as an anvil :P I guess time will tell which is better, but I do agree both can be really good in specific situations and I'll admit it's probably the hype for shiny new stuff talking haha

19 minutes ago, Sception said:

they're battleline for nighthaunt, along with spirit hosts and hexwraiths.  rasps are battleline for both nighthaunt and legions of nagash.  Between them and skellies, max size skellies are a lot killier, where rasps are faster and tougher and not as dependant on large squad size bonuses, so if you're looking to just fill battleline or get to & camp objectives, then rasps are better, but if you also want to kill things skeletons are better imo.  Both are good at both, though, and both have a lot of relevant buffs specific to them.  I like both, and look forward to have the option of fielding either, or both.

The Grimghasts look like they will actually be quite good at fighting their way through other large units.  I know they are not super exciting right off, but with +1 to hit fro Mr. Shrouds, more attacks if the enemy has more than 10 models (rumored), and some rend... as well as being not too expensive and able to field in larger numbers... they could pretty quickly scythe their way through other horde units like skittles, clan rats, etc.  The fact that they are Battle Line for NH makes me like them more, as I am really not a fan of 'horde' units like skittles and rasps, and I have fielded nothing but Spirit Hosts for the past year or so.

I think I am going to withhold judgement until we see the full 'synergy' capabilities that might very well allow Grimghasts to suddenly be outstanding.

Even if they are not though, the Revanant build for them is much pricier so we can hope their stats and abilities reflect that.

Archived