Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

So looks like the Realms are just as much a part of Matched Play as they are for Open and Narrative. One sentence reads along the lines of the realms being a part of the core rules, not just an extension.

So you set up your board, choose your scenario, and choose the realm and terrain. Players can open their books to see the effects of that realm on the game. Players who have lists containing Endless Spells from that realm will have extra potency. Both players' casters will be able to cast any magic from that realm's spell list.

Question is, the previous article stated that you could theme your army around a particular realm, gaining access to those spells and artefacts. Does this mean you choose a realm for your army, gaining access to those spells and artefacts, and then gain additional spells from whatever realm you're fighting in?

For example, I make a LoN army. I say they're from Shyish, so I can use the LoN battletome spells, artefacts and command abilities, and have access to Shyish spells and artefacts. If I battle in Ghur, does this mean I also gain the spells for Ghur on top of those for Shyish? Or have I understood all that totally wrong?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Vanger said:

These Realm specific rules do look fun and are excellent for narrative play, but I'm sure that TOs won't use it.

TOs might not, but being very clear that they're part of the core rules probably means that the realm rules are fully supported for matched play in general.

So it sounds like we won't be picking our spells, but getting the ones for whatever realm we're in.  So much for building around banishment or any other spell.  Adapting your army to realms mid-tournament is going to be key...

With exception - you pick your endless spells.  I wonder if tournaments will do that at list or at the table?

4 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

So I think somebody said that GW was doing some kind of seminar(or maybe they're just going to be there showing off new models?) at some game expo today. Is there a time when that's going to be going on.

I think it's on the previous page? It's from 4-5pm UK time (about 1.5 hours from now)

4 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

So it sounds like we won't be picking our spells, but getting the ones for whatever realm we're in.  So much for building around banishment or any other spell.  Adapting your army to realms mid-tournament is going to be key...

With exception - you pick your endless spells.  I wonder if tournaments will do that at list or at the table?

I think you may have read that wrong.  I read it as, you get your spells normally - i.e. picking whatever spells you want from your Battletome.  But, in addition, you wizards can use any of the spells from the realm  you are playing in, as well as the 3 universal spells.  Just more options...not restricting your choice.

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

but we may get the rules out next week as well. 

I think this would be a great decision from GW. Give us the free rules at the same time as preorders open. Get people playing with the new rules so they will get hyped for the GHB and the big book in te Starter set.

So given that the old spells are all coming back (some just in name - Banishment), which are you looking forward to seeing again?

I'm betting chamon will get us a +1 save spell again.  Final Transmutation as the endless?  Vaul's Unmaking...so many memories!

1 minute ago, FractalRain said:

I think you may have read that wrong.  I read it as, you get your spells normally - i.e. picking whatever spells you want from your Battletome.  But, in addition, you wizards can use any of the spells from the realm  you are playing in, as well as the 3 universal spells.  Just more options...not restricting your choice.

Yea that's what I meant, sorry.

I'm just saying you won't write a list around using Banishment, because you might not have access to it.

Curiously...do we do artifacts the same way?

8 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

So looks like the Realms are just as much a part of Matched Play as they are for Open and Narrative. One sentence reads along the lines of the realms being a part of the core rules, not just an extension.

So you set up your board, choose your scenario, and choose the realm and terrain. Players can open their books to see the effects of that realm on the game. Players who have lists containing Endless Spells from that realm will have extra potency. Both players' casters will be able to cast any magic from that realm's spell list.

Question is, the previous article stated that you could theme your army around a particular realm, gaining access to those spells and artefacts. Does this mean you choose a realm for your army, gaining access to those spells and artefacts, and then gain additional spells from whatever realm you're fighting in?

For example, I make a LoN army. I say they're from Shyish, so I can use the LoN battletome spells, artefacts and command abilities, and have access to Shyish spells and artefacts. If I battle in Ghur, does this mean I also gain the spells for Ghur on top of those for Shyish? Or have I understood all that totally wrong?

You get extra artifacts based where your army hails from. You get access to extra spells, where you do battle. The two are not connected.

7 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

TOs might not, but being very clear that they're part of the core rules probably means that the realm rules are fully supported for matched play in general.

And I'm happy that it's part of the core rulebook and it is supported, but as with 40K, some TOs use basic rules, some use the Open War cards. I think the same will be true for AoS2. Some tournaments will use these rules, ome not. Choice is always nice.

4 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

My reading is that a wizard character will have it's own spells, have access to general ones and on top of that has access to realm specific spells.

12 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

More or less as they are now. Only difference is that they say that you can also use them in matched. Just as you can use the current rules. 

Just now, daedalus81 said:

I'm just saying you won't write a list around using Banishment, because you might not have access to it.

Ah, that makes more sense!  Actually, the review on realm artifacts stated that you could choose one of them instead of your other options. 

1 minute ago, daedalus81 said:

Yes, you will have access to your battletome and home realms artefacts and trinkets. Don't remember if there are "general" artefacts.

Just now, FractalRain said:

Ah, that makes more sense!  Actually, the review on realm artifacts stated that you could choose one of them instead of your other options. 

Maybe I'm misremembering and need to go back and reread, but it seemed like the artefacts are tied to where your armies are from.  So your Ghur based army is fighting in shyish with Ghur artefacts, but you have access to shyish magic? That actually makes sense. You're going to be bringing your arefacts from where you come from and harness the magic where you are.

I was surfing on the destructions armies at GW,  and I was thinking: "what superb assets they have in the range of green skins babies: ork, gobs, trolls, machines, squigs, spiders... What if they did a Legion of Nagash like battletome, lets say Legions of GreenZ ?"

I have so many miniatures from old ages of WFB, night gobs, catapults, orks, monsters...I'd like to have something to make them into a nice actual AoS army!

18 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

They are already part of the rules but everyone ignores them. 

4 minutes ago, Xasz said:

TO's might just fix the realm for the tables, instead of excluding it completely.

I would believe that many tournament players would be against that, as it is a completely random element and slows thr game down when the people havr to read through and choose all the options they have available when the table happens to be set in the Realm of Life. For narrative tournaments yes, for a GT I doubt it. Although, GW likely has them in some form at their own GTs. 

Just now, GeneralZero said:

I was surfing on the destructions armies at GW,  and I was thinking: "what superb assets they have in the range of green skins babies: ork, gobs, trolls, machines, squigs, spiders... What if they did a Legion of Nagash like battletome, lets say Legions of GreenZ ?"

I have so many miniatures from old ages of WFB, night gobs, catapults, orks, monsters...I'd like to have something to make them into a nice actual AoS army!

That would be a WITSTTCPW* approach to some lighter factions. The recent faction focus was "The Beasts of Chaos" which could be a Battletome solution collecting what was previously loosely linked factions into one strategically united horde.

*What is the simplest thing that could possibly work

Just now, Jamopower said:

I would believe that many tournament players would be against that, as it is a completely random element and slows thr game down when the people havr to read through and choose all the options they have available when the table happens to be set in the Realm of Life. For narrative tournaments yes, for a GT I doubt it. Although, GW likely has them in some form at their own GTs. 

TOs could just fix the realm for each round.  Then players can plan in advance for the realms they'll be in.

Archived