Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

I'm personally very excited about the new edition of the rules. The writers have listened to a lot of what we've said, are consciously making an effort to tighten the rules and know that as much as they try people will always misinterpret the actual intention of the rule - conga line's are a good example of this (which is why they introduce Errata and FAQs).

I think it's really easy to forget that the people writing the rules are a group of people who like us, love the hobby and don't purposely go out to make somebodies army "unplayable"*.  Just because something has happened now, doesn't mean that it won't be rectified - just we could be looking 8+ months down the road.

* technically no army is unplayable

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we all expect Battalions to survive? The 40k equivalent has been removed and they've been a lot rarer in my experience since GE2017. Would be cool to see if GW took some of those elements and adapted them into unit rules to allow for more fluid choices.

11 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Do we all expect Battalions to survive? The 40k equivalent has been removed and they've been a lot rarer in my experience since GE2017. Would be cool to see if GW took some of those elements and adapted them into unit rules to allow for more fluid choices.

Either they remove battalions or allow everyone to use them. Whats needed is a level playing field, and loads of armies are currently not allowed battalions (partly because GW removed them in the GHB2017)

13 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I expect they will survive as they are in the idoneth tome. However they may get toned down in power - the idoneth ones seem 'weakish' vs other battalions I have seen and Idoneth get more army flavour added through the enclaves and choice of general.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

Wow, just wow. Certainly pre-ordering the big rule book as soon as I can. Definitely, definitely getting the objectives. I love the Sacrosanct Chamber (and Brian Blessed as Sigmar ?). Nighthaunt - just fantastic. How am I supposed to last until June though!!!

Where's this Brian Blessed Sigmar??

24 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Daughters of Khaine and Deepkin both have battalions in their respective tomes, So i doubt they'll be getting removed. 

35 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I agree with other people here.  I can see battalions remaining but perhaps some of the mechanics surrounding them changing - possibly one-drop, artefacts, points change.  Basically anything that was added in the Generals handbook is up for review.

I hope I am understanding the information on  Malign Sorcery right - that it will be spells available to everyone based on the generic winds of magic?

That would be very cool indeed for some of the less developed factions that don't have their own spell lore yet.

I miss spell templates with the effects pictured on them so the idea of having actual 3D models I can use is really exciting.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

From a competitive setting sure go all out and play rules as written. So give your thralls an icon per person so you essentially upgrade them all and your clanrats all either a banner or bell so you never have to think about who you remove. But as long as they sell sets that don’t allow you to build them as such their is and will be a discrepancy there.

There are many warscrolls that allow for multiple command models. The kits not coming with multiples is not a discrepancy.

If there were a rule that said you must only build your units as they are packaged and cannot mix parts from several boxes into one unit, then there would be a discrepancy.

This hobby, though, clearly encourages modeling. If a player wants to, they could convert or add models from several boxes and the rules give them a way to account for their choice. It's not a discrepancy, it's an accommodation.

21 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I hope I am understanding the information on  Malign Sorcery right - that it will be spells available to everyone based on the generic winds of magic?

That would be very cool indeed for some of the less developed factions that don't have their own spell lore yet.

I miss spell templates with the effects pictured on them so the idea of having actual 3D models I can use is really exciting.

There will be faction specific and non-faction specific spells available in the expansion from what we've been told.  Very much there will be "loads" of spells!

It's also my guess there will be a generic list of spells for all wizards to pick from in the core rules (though that's me guessing rather than knowing).

6 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

There will be faction specific and non-faction specific spells available in the expansion from what we've been told.  Very much there will be "loads" of spells!

It's also my guess there will be a generic list of spells for all wizards to pick from in the core rules (though that's me guessing rather than knowing).

Aaaaaannnnnddd there is my Khorne-depression again :D

Guess it's time for a second army. I really hope the Nighthaunt rules are fun and there will be some casting/shooting for them. The models look awesome (the double scythe banshees are so cool)

Concerning  AoS 2.0,  I'm super stoked. Maybe there will be more of a scene in Germany and to an extend the rest of Europe afterwards (the Spanish community and the ETC was/is actively suppressing AoS). Usually we love tournaments/events but there never formed a scene for AoS. There are only local groups with varying activeness and a whole lot is still playing 8th, The Ninth Age or something similar. (Not judging them, but we are a conservative bunch concerning tabletops and boardgames and I'd really like more action...) 

As we don’t have sales data from GW it is hard to come with anything but anecdotical evidence, but my experience in Europe is that indeed most german communities have struggled with AoS, while France’s moved much quicker to AoS. With so many cool armies and releases and such an impressive support (from MP to the HH Herald), AoS steamrolling on alternatives is all but inevitable IMO though. 

6 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Aaaaaannnnnddd there is my Khorne-depression again :D

Guess it's time for a second army. I really hope the Nighthaunt rules are fun and there will be some casting/shooting for them. The models look awesome (the double scythe banshees are so cool)

Concerning  AoS 2.0,  I'm super stoked. Maybe there will be more of a scene in Germany and to an extend the rest of Europe afterwards (the Spanish community and the ETC was/is actively suppressing AoS). Usually we love tournaments/events but there never formed a scene for AoS. There are only local groups with varying activeness and a whole lot is still playing 8th, The Ninth Age or something similar. (Not judging them, but we are a conservative bunch concerning tabletops and boardgames and I'd really like more action...) 

Don't get too depressed fellow Khornate player!  I did raise this question and was told that the rules guys are aware that Khorne will be very much getting the short end of the stick on the magic front.  But they're actively working on it.  Just means that Khorne needs to have some timeout on a step for a few months.  Unsure how much shooting Nighthaunt are going to get, however I expect the whole army will be ethereal (thus ignore rend) and fully expect there to be a chunk of magical ability - would also imagine them to be quick

7 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Age of Sigmar is in ETC this year, so that should help it gain momentum in the continental Europe.

That's great to hear, my last info was that they had T9A and Kings of War in their lineup instead of AoS. (and organizers and local game store regulars harassing players who want to pick up AoS, especially in Spain)

But this might all be different now. (except AoS not taking off in Germany, which I can sadly verify first hand)

Lets hope for the best, my local group is luckily rather active.

22 minutes ago, Turgol said:

As we don’t have sales data from GW it is hard to come with anything but anecdotical evidence, but my experience in Europe is that indeed most german communities have struggled with AoS, while France’s moved much quicker to AoS. With so many cool armies and releases and such an impressive support (from MP to the HH Herald), AoS steamrolling on alternatives is all but inevitable IMO though. 

But this might all be different now. (except AoS not taking off in Germany, which I can sadly verify first hand)

I can sadly  confirm what you both said.  I am also a german AoS player. Most of the german hobby stores struggle with AoS. I am only able to play AoS with a private group of friends.

But there are no such things as really big events and tournaments like in the UK. But I also think that the whole AoS scene does not really focus on germany and is more focussed on UK. I don't really know if there are any known "german" tournament players or hobbyists which are featured very often.

There are some stores which adapt faster than others, but most of the time they are only in the big cities, like Cologne or Berlin. 

You don't normally see AoS being played that often in small or independent stores outside of the big cities. Most people play Warhammer 40k.

But Im trying to establish a small group to play regulary with. Maybe I can also convince more players into the hobby. But at the moment I sadly don't have enough resources to manage such a big project.

49 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

There are many warscrolls that allow for multiple command models. The kits not coming with multiples is not a discrepancy.

If there were a rule that said you must only build your units as they are packaged and cannot mix parts from several boxes into one unit, then there would be a discrepancy.

This hobby, though, clearly encourages modeling. If a player wants to, they could convert or add models from several boxes and the rules give them a way to account for their choice. It's not a discrepancy, it's an accommodation.

So the Idoneth icons thing has just been FAQ'd. I agree that it's fair for players to go with rules as written, but I feel like GW are setting a pretty firm precedent of FAQing instances where you can get an advantage by loading up on command characters or special weapons. Which isn't to say that people shouldn't try to take advantage of it while they can, but I feel like the average lifespan of these ambiguities is getting shorter and shorter, and so it's not really worth spending time/money on them.

16 minutes ago, Xasz said:

That's great to hear, my last info was that they had T9A and Kings of War in their lineup instead of AoS. (and organizers and local game store regulars harassing players who want to pick up AoS, especially in Spain)

But this might all be different now. (except AoS not taking off in Germany, which I can sadly verify first hand)

Lets hope for the best, my local group is luckily rather active.

Apparently Turkish players wanted it in, or something like that. I don't know/remember exactly, just discussed with some friends who are forming the Finnish team. I just find it quite strange that there is nothing about it on this forum.

50 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Depends on your definition of discrepancy I guess. I just googled it to be sure but is indeed 'an illogical or surprising lack of compatibility or similarity between two or more facts.' 

For me the fact that the rules allow one thing (multiple icon bearers) but the set I buy from the same company doesn't allow me to do so, is a surprising lack of compatibility in my eyes. So I stand with my previous statement ;) 

And yes I take into account that GW encourages modelling but GW also encourages changing the rules up for thematic or practical purposes. So the question @Arkiham rightly asked is a unit of thralls all with icons the intention of GW is a good and fascinating question. Is it rules as written? Or is it an accommodation as you put it? 

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Play it as is until the people who actually do know the answer clue those of us on the outside in.

And like you said, playing it like it is until we get an 'official' answer is al fine and dandy until you are the guy that invested hundreds in that one unit of thunderers all with mortars which is completely invalidated 3 months after release. And even if that's very unlikely to happen with the Thralls this is why I replied earlier when you wrote: 

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I honestly don't know why this is troublesome. :shrug: 

Don't know if it will change anything but know I honestly can say at least someone made the effort to explain it :D 

2 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Hopefully those warscrolls that give you rules for a specific order will be gone. I mean stuff like the "Stormhost" Battalions, Fyreslayer Lodges, etc. and switched out for  rules like the Daughters of Khaine Temples.

The point is, its not the best game design, if you need to play a 3000-4000 Point Army so you can get rules that gives your army the form of flavour you got told about by background. I know this is mainly a matched play problem, but even without points, how many times would you play this many models that are about 4000 Points?

So, quite balanced ways of those rules or City Allegiances would be the better way.

32 minutes ago, Turgol said:

As a german player (not much playing AoS but with my entire experiance) I would say, the main problem is that we often search for a RAW (rule as written) answer and prefer official rules over fanmade rules. it's not as bad some stuff we heard in Threads to the dark elves legends list, but I think american groups are more open to change rules itself if they don't fit while german players often nag about the rules and hope that GW will fix it with a Errata/FAQ

15 minutes ago, Infeston said:

I can confirm what you said.  I am a german AoS player. Most of the german hobby stores struggle with AoS. I am only able to play AoS with a private group of friends.

But there are no such things as really big events and tournaments like in the UK.

There are some stores which adapt faster than others, but most of the time they are only in the big cities, like Cologne or Berlin. 

In case of shops it often depends on the owner if AoS is played. I often saw people playing AoS in "Mannheim" and "Wiesbaden" rarely in "Mainz because they only have a small 4'x4' table.

13 minutes ago, CJPT said:

So the Idoneth icons thing has just been FAQ'd. I agree that it's fair for players to go with rules as written, but I feel like GW are setting a pretty firm precedent of FAQing instances where you can get an advantage by loading up on command characters or special weapons. Which isn't to say that people shouldn't try to take advantage of it while they can, but I feel like the average lifespan of these ambiguities is getting shorter and shorter, and so it's not really worth spending time/money on them.

Hm, it's interesting that there is only a english FAQ (the german one should have a similar problem with the icon) for it and that it's not part of the Order FAQ like in most other cases (so will GW switch to FAQs for every book now)

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

So give your thralls an icon

That’s now been faq’d to “1 in 10 can be an icon bearer” for Reavers and Thralls as of the Idoneth Deepkin FAQ from May 14th.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/age_of_sigmar_idoneth_deepkin_en-1.pdf

It was a “missed construction rule” not an “intention” as mentioned by @Arkiham

I can definitely see them removing the 'grand battalions' that have thematic bonuses and consist of multiple smaller battalions, and move towards more "free" bonuses like DOK Temples and Idoneth Enclaves.

Really curious to see if they decoupled Battalions from artifacts.

Just now, Jamopower said:

The link between the artifacts and the batallions never made much sense for me anyways.

I think the number of artifacts should be based on the size of the game. 1 artifact at 1000, 2 at 1500, 3 at 2000, and so on.

Archived