Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlphaKennyThing

Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

I have one more idea for a Destruction heavy plot. Or at least greenskinz. Let's say that at some point one side, be it Order, Death or Chaos creates a ritual that is supposed to give them an edge over others. However they did not foresee a side effect of the ritual - it hurts/drives crazy/allures all the greenskinz who need to stop it/take over it. There you go. I can imagine Tyrion/Sigmar/Nagash to cast it and cause an invasion on their lands by united greenskinz / new Destruction faction. So the incentive for Destruction to play a grand role doesn't even have to come from them. You just need somebody to pi ss them off. ☺️ 

Edited by Aryann

25 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

It makes perfect sense- AoS is not only about matched play.  A lot of people don't play matched play, so there are no minimum unit sizes. In fact nothing in the box references matched play. There's no points mentioned in any of the books for example. 

Sure, AoS is not only about matched play. I completely agree. But what part of having 4 Grimghast Reapers and 5 Glavewraith Stalkers improves the play experience for narrative and open players? I don't think it makes a difference. Therefore I would have expected GW to have included minimum unit sizes based on matched play unit profiles, thus making narrative, open AND matched play players happy. There's literally no reason for them not to have changed one Glavewraith Stalker into a Grimghast Reaper, they just take the same lump of plastic and use it to make something else - no change in cost, but a product that is usable out of the box for ALL their players. As it stands, I firmly believe that they have made a mistake. I'm not trying to detract from the pure cool-ness of the new stuff, everything is still really cool and awesome, but the new medium sized box was their opportunity to correct their mistake, and unfortunately they did not take that opportunity. It's just something that starts the old cynicism cogs whirring again.

Basically, they could have made a great product for ALL of their players. As it stands, it's a great product for 2/3, and a decent one for 1/3. I'm not going to say it's  bad, it just *could* have been great.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ZaelART said:

Sure, AoS is not only about matched play. I completely agree. But what part of having 4 Grimghast Reapers and 5 Glavewraith Stalkers improves the play experience for narrative and open players? I don't think it makes a difference. Therefore I would have expected GW to have included minimum unit sizes based on matched play unit profiles, thus making narrative, open AND matched play players happy. There's literally no reason for them not to have changed one Glavewraith Stalker into a Grimghast Reaper, they just take the same lump of plastic and use it to make something else - no change in cost, but a product that is usable out of the box for ALL their players. As it stands, I firmly believe that they have made a mistake. I'm not trying to detract from the pure cool-ness of the new stuff, everything is still really cool and awesome, but the new medium sized box was their opportunity to correct their mistake, and unfortunately they did not take that opportunity. It's just something that starts the old cynicism cogs whirring again.

Basically, they could have made a great product for ALL of their players. As it stands, it's a great product for 2/3, and a decent one for 1/3. I'm not going to say it's  bad, it just *could* have been great.

I actually agree with you- I only played matched (though sometimes narrative/open with points)- so full units would be nicer for me- I'll have to top them up with the ETB kits, which is annoying as those come with sculpted bases which won't fit with the ones in the soul war box. I just wanted to point out that TGA is pretty much 100% matched play and competitive focused, but many don't do that. I'm not trying to defend GW from criticism either, it's healthy for us to not be 100% fanboys all the time!

5 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I actually agree with you- I only played matched (though sometimes narrative/open with points)- so full units would be nicer for me- I'll have to top them up with the ETB kits, which is annoying as those come with sculpted bases which won't fit with the ones in the soul war box. I just wanted to point out that TGA is pretty much 100% matched play and competitive focused, but many don't do that. I'm not trying to defend GW from criticism either, it's healthy for us to not be 100% fanboys all the time!

I bet you 90 percent of players play matched play points exclusively

the starter unit sizes show either a lack of foresight, a lack of communication, or a lack of morals. None of these are good things

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

the starter unit sizes show either a lack of foresight, a lack of communication, or a lack of morals. None of these are good things

Even if I'm playing fairly open play, I'll still use points as a balancing factor(ignoring battleline/behmoth/leader restrictions)  for just about any game except carefully crafted narrative games where there's something is going on that army balance doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, stratigo said:

I am curious why you and so many others are reluctant to use the points that come in the box. You have points directly from GW for the majority of the reduced size units. 

I understand that these might not be accepted by some TOs, but for the majority of other games they should be fine.

I still think GW could fix the problem just by making these points more official.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:58 AM, Infeston said:

Jeah. At the moment I am also questioning a bit if the rumored Moonclan release will ever happen. 

At the moment Soul Wars feels for me like: Look at all these factions fighting for souls and they all have abilities which have something to do with souls. Sigmar wants get these SOULS, because he needs them for the reforging of the Stormcast and Nagash is pissed, because Sigmar steals his SOULS and wants to claim them for himself. Also Chaos wants to claim those SOULS or corrupt people, because otherwise they would join the ranks of Sigmar or Death. 

Did we forget someone? Oh. Jeah.... Destruction! Jeah. They join the fight, because they like bashing things and we don't need a bigger motive for them to be around. We at GW think Destruction doesn't need an underlying motivation for this expansion or any future expansion, because the only reason they live is, because they want to fight. So we don't have a reason to flesh things out for Destruction.

I mean I get that this a big part of Destruction that they always want to fight and seek for battles. But sometimes I would also wish for more backround story or some other motivations for fighting. Why can't Destruction also have a reason to collect souls?

Maybe some Grots invented some ritual to collect all those souls and transform them into WAAAAGH! energy. Or maybe they try to collect as many souls as they can so that they can manifest Gorkamorka again to lead the biggest WAAAAGH! ever. 

For me it feels that everyone has a bigger motive or role in this Soul War, except Destruction. We seem more like a nuisence in this battle, rather than serious threat. It more like "Go forth, my Stormcast! Fight Nagash's evil forces! Oh...what? Oh nooo... There are those Destruction guys again. They are so annoying! We should remove them from the battlefield and then focus on the more important battle..."

We are the "Team Rocket" of AoS. We sometimes appear to fight the good guys, but in the end we always get beaten up and run away!"

This is just my personal opinion, but I often feel this way as a Destruction player lore-wise. 

Bonesplitterz were the easiest way in my opinion. They go round going after beast spirits believing it makes them stronger. Only need a very small change to turn it from their belief making the spirits have power to it actually being the souls of the beasts they are trapping. Nagash annoyed that all his big juicy beast ghosts are being trapped in crude fetishes sends a host after them and it becomes a race to see who can get the big beast souls first. Seeing the great fun the bonesplitterz are having racing ghosts for the giant beasts the other orruks join in and numerous beast hunting waaaghs start forming across the realms.

Sure it's not the most compelling tale but it's enough to make the actions of the orruks have a bit more weight in an edition not focused on them and would at least let destruction players feel like they haven't  been forgotten. Unfortunately how to get the ogors in besides giant beasts making for good eats is a bit harder...

Edited by Yoshiya
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, stratigo said:

I don't think it's any of those. GW wants to make money like all companies. All their models are hideously expensive. The Soul Wars box is actually relatively good value, but if you told someone "I just spent £95 on a hardback book and 55 models" they'd think you're insane. They made the box so someone buying it could have some enjoyable games with it and get them hooked. They undersized the units so you'd have to buy more models to fill them out for matched play. It's not immoral, it's capitalism. I don't get why the Soul Wars situation is bad, but £85 for a Great Unclean One, consisting of two plastic sprues is fine. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I don't think it's any of those. GW wants to make money like all companies. All their models are hideously expensive. The Soul Wars box is actually relatively good value, but if you told someone "I just spent £95 on a hardback book and 55 models" they'd think you're insane. They made the box so someone buying it could have some enjoyable games with it and get them hooked. They undersized the units so you'd have to buy more models to fill them out for matched play. It's not immoral, it's capitalism. I don't get why the Soul Wars situation is bad, but £85 for a Great Unclean One, consisting of two plastic sprues is fine. 

The thing is they have not provided a way to fill out those units. You can more or less fix up the Sequitors with their easy build box, though you will have a very sub optimal weapon load out (which is okay given they are easy build models, plus that is more to do with their rules changing between Soul Wars and the battletome), and you will have to count a prime as a normal guy, and you will have 1 model left over. The Castigator box fixes nothing, as it comes with 3 (a full unit), you are forever stuck with 2 extra models, 1 short of a functioning unit. Likewise with the Stalkers, you just have an extra you will never be able to do anything with. Reapers and Evocators don't even have easy build options. That means people are either turning to 3rd parties to do so, or simply passing on the box to wait for full kits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

love this guy :)

Unbenannt.JPG

Already planned to do that. It will be so much easier than with my Spirit host

6 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

love this guy :)

Unbenannt.JPG

Nah, nah, as a true son of Sigmar you gotta have him give the ol' twin tailed comet.;)

latest?cb=20150516144907

• Like 2
  • Haha 2