Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our very own @RuneBrush is at the Age of Sigmar Open Day- Stormcast are getting new cavalry, Sacrosanct chamber riding... Lion-bird things! Not sure what else, I just had a cursory glance at Twitter. 

Edit: It's just the Dracoline cav from the Warhammer Community preview painted differently, I'm an idiot.

Dg7dBvQWAAA-CvB.jpg

Edit 2: What about this alternative Lord Executioner sculpt, huh? Does that make us square?

wcdhb72qb5711.jpg

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Our very own @RuneBrush is at the Age of Sigmar Open Day- Stormcast are getting new cavalry, Sacrosanct chamber riding... Lion-bird things! Not sure what else, I just had a cursory glance at Twitter. 

Edit: It's just the Dracoline cav from the Warhammer Community preview painted differently, I'm an idiot.

Dg7dBvQWAAA-CvB.jpg

Edit 2: What about this alternative Lord Executioner sculpt, huh? Does that make us square?

wcdhb72qb5711.jpg

OMG, these models are incredible!

11 hours ago, Jamopower said:

Hmm. I was bit of disappointed on the content in the new General's handbook. Maybe it'sbecause the last one was so great, but the amount of new content was very light. Are the multiplayer scenarios in the core book now? 

I agree. It's very light on content

7 minutes ago, MiniJunkie said:

Am I the only one feeling a bit overwhelmed by the AoS goodness today? I got home with my huge haul (pretty much everything except the objectives) and now find myself just not sure where to start digging into it.

Something tells me you're probably not the only one ?

Was there any clarification to whether realm rules should be used in Matched play? 

A lot of the artefacts aren't balanced with one another (e.g. there are some that add 1 to damage on the roll of a 6 to wound, or one from the realm of light that just adds 1 to damage), which makes me think they're more narrative, but I don't know if this is officially the case.

15 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Was there any clarification to whether realm rules should be used in Matched play? 

A lot of the artefacts aren't balanced with one another (e.g. there are some that add 1 to damage on the roll of a 6 to wound, or one from the realm of light that just adds 1 to damage), which makes me think they're more narrative, but I don't know if this is officially the case.

Since you can only take one realm, it makes perfect sense that some will have better or worse in a specific category like 'adds to damage in some way' when compared across realms.

19 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Since you can only take one realm, it makes perfect sense that some will have better or worse in a specific category like 'adds to damage in some way' when compared across realms.

I get that, but a lot of players will choose realms as it suits them - so if they want damage, they'll choose the realm with the best damaging arifact, if they want protection, they'll choose the realm with the best protection and so on. 

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I get that, but a lot of players will choose realms as it suits them - so if they want damage, they'll choose the realm with the best damaging arifact, if they want protection, they'll choose the realm with the best protection and so on. 

It's unlikely(60-40 atm) that the realm rules will get much traction in matched play considering how hilariously lopsided the power of the relics and spells are. The 'give my monster Ethereal' relic is not only a near auto-take for any army with a large monster(except stormcast, 0+ save ftw), but it also makes several relics almost completely obsolete. Why would you ever take the 'reduce rend by 1' relic on a Mawcrusha over the 'Ethereal' relic with the new mystic shield?

The spell situation is actually worse. Most of the new battletomes have 1 REALLY powerful spell and maybe  a handful of useful ones(or in the case of the stormcast book, just a handful of semi-useful ones.) Allowing armies like LoN or even Maggotkin/Idoneth/DoK/Nighthaunt/Sacrosanct Stormcasts to branch out into these much more powerful spells is asking for trouble, especially with banishment still kicking around as pretty much the best spell in the game.

In narrative play I think the realm relics/spells are a fun and flavorful way to customize your forces. In matched play I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

12 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

...have you, uh... have you not been on any Warhammer-related site lately Karol? ? 

I was not, it gets blocked on my dads laptop. And for 2 weeks I was in hospital, so I have not seen any news here.

22 minutes ago, Karol said:

I was not, it gets blocked on my dads laptop. And for 2 weeks I was in hospital, so I have not seen any news here.

There's a new Stormcast chamber, and a huge collection of new Nighthaunt stuff being released :) It was revealed a while back, so you should be able to backtrack on the community site updates if you want to check them out.

On the subject of spells I personally hope that the Endless spells see matched play; I think that visually they are a big step for Sigmar to take and would like them to be a main part of the games visual appeal and design (and considering the price that GW has put the book and models and also the new magic expansions coming for most factions with their personal endless spells - I think GW wants it that way too).

The realms I think might get dropped, they are clearly going to bias one player over the other unless both equip for the same realm (at which point its not really having an effect as such). It wouldn't surprise me if the Maligan book gets a bit broken up in what does and doesn't make it long term. 

2 hours ago, Karol said:

Ah! Well fair enough then. As Mayple said: new Stormcast, new Nighthaunt, loads of beautiful models.

58 minutes ago, Overread said:

On the subject of spells I personally hope that the Endless spells see matched play; I think that visually they are a big step for Sigmar to take and would like them to be a main part of the games visual appeal and design (and considering the price that GW has put the book and models and also the new magic expansions coming for most factions with their personal endless spells - I think GW wants it that way too).

The realms I think might get dropped, they are clearly going to bias one player over the other unless both equip for the same realm (at which point its not really having an effect as such). It wouldn't surprise me if the Maligan book gets a bit broken up in what does and doesn't make it long term. 

Plus the Endless Spells seem like an important aspect of balancing turn priority (double turns) and their points costs are low to enable filling in army points where you are short like 60-80 points and don’t have units cheap enough to fill that. I think they should always be used in Matched.

On the economic point of view, I get it but why GW is redoing completely the SCE but differently: light infantry, heavy infantry, cavalry, heros...We will have to buy almost everything again. They could have done so many different things, with machines, with flying things, etc...

SCE meta will shift again: "well" done GW! 

Seems like defaulting back to Grand Alliance allegiance stuff is gone.

Beforehand you could build your list with, like Slaves to Darkness allegiance and use their battleline-ifs while being able to choose from either the GA Chaos allegiance tables or their faction specific ones.

The part that explicitly allowed this seems to be gone. (or I'm just blind...)

Another new rule that several people in my area missed, is that only every fourth unit in your army can be allies. On top of the normal point limit... super awkward for rather elite armies.

Not the biggest fan of this one.

Archived