Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Short of eBay, is there somewhere I could purchase some or all these items, without having to pay markup  prices? Not as bad Australian prices, but those of us in the US are charged more than EU residents, factoring in exchange rates, and the 20% from places like the Warstore, just doesn't cut it anymore, unless it's a large order.? 

I buy off eBay UK sometimes. The 20 dollars postage still ends up being way cheaper than our markup in australia.

10 hours ago, Urauloth said:

In terms of stock to sell on release day or in total, for preorders? If it's the former it's like that everywhere, my local GW will only have 6 boxes on the day and not many others will have more. They're suggesting people preorder it to avoid disappointment. To be fair, that's what I went there to do, and I got a neat framed art print for it.

Glad I preordered it then! (I got three extra Sequitors and a Victory point count from the General's Handbook Warlord edition as a free gift for Pre-ordering in store too :) ) I can't wait to pick it up - so excited! :D 

28 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Is it proved that you can buy artifacts with command points? 

Acquiring artifacts works the same as before, see page 17 of the Core Rules.

There is a chance that there is something in the matched play rules to tie command points and artifacts together but I highly doubt it.

So from listening to Facehammer, you can cast the same command ability multiple times, with the same hero, on the same unit, in matched play... what were they thinking here? Why rule of one for spells but then allow command ability spam to create insane deathstars? I’m simply baffled by this. The example they gave was giving +4 attacks on a horde unit IIRC. Who thinks allowing that is a good idea?

6 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

So from listening to Facehammer, you can cast the same command ability multiple times, with the same hero, on the same unit, in matched play... what were they thinking here? Why rule of one for spells but then allow command ability spam to create insane deathstars? I’m simply baffled by this. The example they gave was giving +4 attacks on a horde unit IIRC. Who thinks allowing that is a good idea?

Because as opposed to magic, command points require a resource rather than a unit. If you have three or four wizards than you could theoretically spam a single spell, whereas once you blow through command points, they are gone.

6 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

Because as opposed to magic, command points require a resource rather than a unit. If you have three or four wizards than you could theoretically spam a single spell, whereas once you blow through command points, they are gone.

That’s assuming Command Points will be very rare though, and they’ve already revealed several ways to get more (use less points, use Battallions, even some of those “regain a used command point on 5+” that I dislike so much in 40k, and I’m sure there will be more). So I’m still very sceptical. To be able to buff a single unit to high heaven and demolish your opponent in one turn is something they should actively discourage, not the opposite. Nobody likes playing against Deathstars. 

2 hours ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Is the $20 regular postage or eBay's rip-off Global Shipping Program? Noticed that plenty of UK sellers went with the latter out of convenience, to this buyer's detriment, though messaging them  prior to the purchase, occasionally results in the items being shipped by Royal Mail First Class, £5/£6 vs GSP's £15+. Unless purchasing thousand's of Dollars worth of books and (toy) figures, US residents aren't hit with customs charges, so Pitney Bowes  is pocketing the fees. ?

Think most still use royal mail to Aust. Large boxes cost 20aud which would be like 10pound.

I'm really curious about how much summoning will affect the game; some armies seem to be slow to summon, or have other things better to do (e.g. Khorne, Nurgle, Seraphon) so I don't think it'll massively change how they play. I wonder if it'll become more common for Khorne to run sacrificial units now, especially as the auto-unbind is super important. 

Tzeentch is a little more difficult to say, as people will be casting loads more spells in this edition, but they seem to require a lot of points for anything. Looking at the Miniwargaming 2nd edition battle report, it seems like they don't generate loads (they had 5 spells a turn from their list, and 5 from the opponent, but lots of unbinding was happening) and even seem quite weak now, considering the points hike on the horrors. But then again, they weren't playing a super competitive army list.

Slaanesh has ridiculously strong summoning: an exalted greater daemon can generate 19 points on its own (without taking damage) against the likely combination of a 12 wound model and a unit of 2 wound models (with a 4+ save) - all it needs is a 2+ on its run roll (or not, if you cast the cog spell), the devottee of torment trait, seekers host, and the chaos sorcerer lord to not flunk his 5+ spell (which only makes a tiny bit of difference). If it does take damage, or other heroes decide to get in on the action, then it'll generate even more (especially considering a possibly 16" movement on the exalted chariots with heralds). It doesn't seem hard to produce one keeper of secrets a turn, and with the seekers host and cogs spell, they'll only need a 6 on their charge roll to get right into the action - and they hurt). That said, it wasn't as if Slaanesh was dominating any tournaments, so this might be a nice buff. 

I wonder how it will pan out, and if it'll change the meta at all.  

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I'm really curious about how much summoning will affect the game...

Slaanesh has ridiculously strong summoning: an exalted greater daemon can generate 19 points on its own (without taking damage) against the likely combination of a 12 wound model and a unit of 2 wound models (with a 4+ save)...

I think the summon costs are low because its very opponent-dependant. If you hit just wall after wall of chaff trying to get to some squishy support heroes, most of your summoning will be based on your own wounds taken (and everything is priced so that it takes more points to summon than you have in wounds to lose).

I wonder if you could farm death heroes for points? ?

5 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

I think the summon costs are low because its very opponent-dependant. If you hit just wall after wall of chaff trying to get to some squishy support heroes, must of your summoning will be based on your own wounds taken (and everything is priced so that it takes more points to summon than you have in wounds to lose).

I wonder if you could farm death heroes for points? ?

I suppose it's good against the mortarchs and vampire lords on zombies, but not all that great against squishy necromancers (not that they'll be difficult to kill if we reach them). 

On 6/16/2018 at 4:50 PM, silentdeathz said:

Do you have a link to the comp? 

It was on an email:

To enter our competition and be in with a chance of winning your copy of Soul Wars for free follow these simple instructions: 

1.      When you place your order for Soul Wars write in the order note CompSW

2.      On release day we will pick one of those orders at random and refund the cost of the Soul Wars to the payment method!

It's that easy! Good luck everyone.

1 hour ago, Olincay said:

Since i havent gone through every leaked photo of summoning armies, is it just tzeentch who got a massive points increase? 

What about seraphon, khorne, slaneesh ect? 

Are they more or less the same? 

Most had battalion changes, the KoS went down slightly, Khorne had some slight buffs and slight nerfs, seraphon had a couple of small things moved around but the biggest change was actually to mixed order armies, LoN had battalions do up and not much else, FeC had battalions and the Abhorrant Ghoul king go up. Nurgle had plaguetouched warband go up and maybe some of the other battalions?

Basically Nurgle and Seraphon seem terrifying at the moment. LoN, from the batreps I've seen also seem unkillable for the most part, though they give up some of their punch to do so.

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

I'm really curious about how much summoning will affect the game; some armies seem to be slow to summon, or have other things better to do (e.g. Khorne, Nurgle, Seraphon) so I don't think it'll massively change how they play. I wonder if it'll become more common for Khorne to run sacrificial units now, especially as the auto-unbind is super important. 

Tzeentch is a little more difficult to say, as people will be casting loads more spells in this edition, but they seem to require a lot of points for anything. Looking at the Miniwargaming 2nd edition battle report, it seems like they don't generate loads (they had 5 spells a turn from their list, and 5 from the opponent, but lots of unbinding was happening) and even seem quite weak now, considering the points hike on the horrors. But then again, they weren't playing a super competitive army list.

Slaanesh has ridiculously strong summoning: an exalted greater daemon can generate 19 points on its own (without taking damage) against the likely combination of a 12 wound model and a unit of 2 wound models (with a 4+ save) - all it needs is a 2+ on its run roll (or not, if you cast the cog spell), the devottee of torment trait, seekers host, and the chaos sorcerer lord to not flunk his 5+ spell (which only makes a tiny bit of difference). If it does take damage, or other heroes decide to get in on the action, then it'll generate even more (especially considering a possibly 16" movement on the exalted chariots with heralds). It doesn't seem hard to produce one keeper of secrets a turn, and with the seekers host and cogs spell, they'll only need a 6 on their charge roll to get right into the action - and they hurt). That said, it wasn't as if Slaanesh was dominating any tournaments, so this might be a nice buff. 

Seraphon have nothing better to do. The slann's spells suck, but he supports the army while summoning hundreds of points. By turn two he'll have added his points cost onto the battlefield.

Nurgle literally does the things they will ALWAYS do and gets points. Nurgle sacrifice nothing and will swim in summoning points. You'll be seeing around 30 to 50 more plaguebearers every game.

Well it does depend how many different armies they play against. If you army in 2.0 is "balanced" around summoning, then your in tough luck, it will not work, without them your army will under perfom. And if non competitive, means less optimised lists, then some people may have a huge problem with their armies. Because you can try to play a weak army in the best way possible in a non tournament setting, but if your list is unoptimised and your handicaping yourself with not using your armies mechanics, then your gaming expiriance may be horrible. Specially if your opposing non competitive army is actually ok.

18 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Well it does depend how many different armies they play against. If you army in 2.0 is "balanced" around summoning, then your in tough luck, it will not work, without them your army will under perfom. And if non competitive, means less optimised lists, then some people may have a huge problem with their armies. Because you can try to play a weak army in the best way possible in a non tournament setting, but if your list is unoptimised and your handicaping yourself with not using your armies mechanics, then your gaming expiriance may be horrible. Specially if your opposing non competitive army is actually ok.

The overall changes between the editions are quite minor. Thus as the points costs remained more or less the same for most of the stuff in the game, the gaming experience with say Seraphon, Nurgle, Legions of Nagash, etc. should be pretty much the same against armies that don't summon even if you don't do it yourself. The big changes, at least in my eyes, are the free summoning and combos that multiple command abilities allow, and maybe in some cases the utility endless spells can make a difference. Those should be quite easy to manage in a non-competitive playgroup. It should be quite quick to get into conclusion that if one side is summoning 50% extra units, the fun part of doing it is lost quite soon. 

Different thing altogether is when they next time adjust the points, as it's likely that the free summoning will make those armies that have it quite powerful, which will lead to points increases. After that you might be in a handicap if you don't summon, if the summoning means 20% overall increase for the units.

Archived