Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

11 minutes ago, smucreo said:

So it's confirmed Chainrasps will be usable as battleline for LoN then... and they cost a 100 points? I'll have to seriously consider using my skeletons now then...

No, expect change once the battletome is out, there are leaked pictures on the internets (I wont post them here and neither should anyone else) that confirm these matched play details are just temporary.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, smucreo said:

So it's confirmed Chainrasps will be usable as battleline for LoN then... and they cost a 100 points? I'll have to seriously consider using my skeletons now then...

they are different battleline usage: don't forget the speed of the Chainrasps 50% faster than skellies. Why not a mix of both: 40 skell + 2 x 10 chains?

3 minutes ago, stato said:

No, expect change once the battletome is out, there are leaked pictures on the internets (I wont post them here and neither should anyone else) that confirm these matched play details are just temporary.

Ooh mysterious haha ok guess I'll wait :P 

Ok...I am not a native speaker so I need an explanation on the turn priority:

At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn.

Does the ",but if it is the first turn..." clause alter just the way ties are resolved or it overrides the whole turn priority roll

7 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn.

Does the ",but if it is the first turn..." clause alter just the way ties are resolved or it overrides the whole turn priority roll

The roll off is to decide who chooses to go first each battle round, but for the first battle round that roll is not done, instead it is the person who placed all their units first (so the person who has less units).

8 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

It overrides it entirely as on the first turn there's no roll. 

1 minute ago, stato said:

The roll off is to decide who chooses to go first each battle round, but for the first battle round that roll is not done, instead it is the person who placed all their units first (so the person who has less units).

See I read it as you still roll for Priority on the first battle round but the player who finished deploying first wins ties.

EDIT: I will reread as I seem to be in the minority

Just now, VoodooChileIRL said:

See I read it as you still roll for Priority on the first battle round but the player who finished deploying first wins ties.

That's why I asked because it sounds that way to me too. The 'each' word is quite clear. If the wanted to alter that, they should have written:

At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn. If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one.

2 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

I’ve re-read this a few times and agree with you. As it’s part of the same sentence that is discussing resolving ties, it looks to me like there is a roll off at the start of turn 1 with ties going to the player who finished drops first. 

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yup. That absolutely reads like a roll of for turn one but whoever deployed first wins ties.

"the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

No roll. Really black and white. 

Edit: Now I read it again I see what you mean. I think you are right.

So AOS 1 has this under "Setup"

The player that finishes setting up first always chooses who takes the first turn in the first battle round.

And then has this:

At the start of each battle round, both players roll a dice, rolling again in the case of a tie. The player that rolls highest decides who takes the first turn in that battle round.

In AOS2 it's condensed to this one paragraph: 

I think that's a definite change between AoS1 and AoS2.

1 minute ago, MrZakalwe said:

"the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

No roll. Really black and white. 

But it's only black and white if you read it without any of the previous context. It's all part of the same sentence overwriting the "player who went first in the last battle round" section, not the whole method of determining. 

Despite the extra pages, the rules themselves don't seem to be too terribly expanded. If anything, they're just more clearly explained from the start instead of super compressed and in need of FAQs. One thing that isn't entirely clear is the compulsory combat for units that would have to pile in to fight. The rules say you have to fight within 3", but the pile in rules are still "can" not "must". So if I have a unit with 1" reach that's 2" from the enemy, can I choose them to fight, but then not pile them in? So they "fight" but don't make any attacks?

Rewinding to yesterday's news. I'm pretty sure I like the new Mortarch of Grief, but I really don't like the "stock" paint job GW gave her. I'll be painting her up all dark and shadowy like the rest of my Nighthaunt.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

Despite the extra pages, the rules themselves don't seem to be too terribly expanded. If anything, they're just more clearly explained from the start instead of super compressed and in need of FAQs. One thing that isn't entirely clear is the compulsory combat for units that would have to pile in to fight. The rules say you have to fight within 3", but the pile in rules are still "can" not "must". So if I have a unit with 1" reach that's 2" from the enemy, can I choose them to fight, but then not pile them in? So they "fight" but don't make any attacks?

Rewinding to yesterday's news. I'm pretty sure I like the new Mortarch of Grief, but I really don't like the "stock" paint job GW gave her. I'll be painting her up all dark and shadowy like the rest of my Nighthaunt.

Still going to be funny with my Sisters of the Thorn/ Phoenix combo. The enemy now can't choose not to destroy themselves with reflected damage ?

It's definitely a change, and you definitely roll-off on the first turn as well.

This is the core rule:

"At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. "

This is the "if" clause:

"If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

Notice that the "if" clause is all one sentence, and the first part of the sentence "if the roll-off is a tie" thus applies to BOTH sub-clauses that follow it.

So yes, you roll-off on every turn including the first, and if you tie on the first turn, the player who finished setting up first chooses. It's very clear if you follow the grammar.

The allies change is interesting. I guess that makes it easier to use allies in narrative/open play. In the faction previews, I seem to recall them mentioning at least once that a model that got a price drop would now work as an ally(can't remember which one, and could be imagining it), so I wonder if the points threshold will still be layered on in the matched play rules.

I don't know if this:

and can therefore be part of a different Grand Alliance or faction.

had something similar in the old allies rules just to cover all bases, or if we'll be seeing cross GA allies.

Archived