Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the new White Dwarf? Isn’t it due out on the 8th? I often get it delivered a couple of days early but nothing has arrived yet. I wonder if they’ll be any free gifts to tie in with the launch of AoS 2nd ed.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I really love about the new SC units is that they go anywhere from bad to great depending entirely on points cost.  This means their balance is easy to regulate through point changes in GHBs.   A lot of other SC models are difficult to assign points to because of one facet that is spectacularly good (Cel Prime shooting attack and StarDrake physical defense for example) even if the rest of the model's stats are mediocre or worse.

2 hours ago, AdamJ said:

Another legal split would be one unit of 5 with one prime and one great mace. Then another unit of three with one prime and one great mace. The prime with the great mace could be in either unit.

Do you think the match play points will come in multiples of three models?

So I noticed all the unit warscrolls shown in the previews say "A unit of .................. has any number of models."  This is different from previous warscrolls in that most had a minimum number stated (Liberators 5, skeletons 10...etc.)  Now this may just be because they are part of the starter set and we will still see a min/max in the generals handbook.   But it does make me wonder if there will be a more granular points system allowing individual models to be added to units.

6 minutes ago, Hyperkinako said:

So I noticed all the unit warscrolls shown in the previews say "A unit of .................. has any number of models."  This is different from previous warscrolls in that most had a minimum number stated (Liberators 5, skeletons 10...etc.)  Now this may just be because they are part of the starter set and we will still see a min/max in the generals handbook.   But it does make me wonder if there will be a more granular points system allowing individual models to be added to units.

There have always been Warscrolls with similar descriptions (either saying "any number" or something different from what the GHB said), I am pretty sure minimum sizes will stay for matched play, and be determined by the GHB.

I’d not get too hung up on the “Units can have any number of models” on the Warscrolls in the original starter set had this for all the units but minimum unit sizes were on the Warscrolls on the App and in the Battletomes. I think it’s like because of the peculiar numbers of models in the set and for beginners to use whatever models they’ve completed when just using the starter set 

2 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I’d not get too hung up on the “Units can have any number of models” on the Warscrolls in the original starter set had this for all the units but minimum unit sizes were on the Warscrolls on the App and in the Battletomes. I think it’s like because of the peculiar numbers of models in the set and for beginners to use whatever models they’ve completed when just using the starter set 

Yeah, it's a starter set, you can bet that the  starter set book will have some very small scenarios that have a few models plucked from units.

11 hours ago, Attackmack said:

Blue hair? Its more silvery or grey isnt it?

I like the cover, aside from the stupid chestpiece it looks as convincing as these superheroes can look.

She looks like a warrior plucked from Sigmars own. The indifferent ”dead” look of her face fits perfectly to the theme.

That said, the endless battles style artwork common from GW is also great!

Looks blue to me, albeit a light blue.  I prefer the Stormcast art on all the other books in the boxed set, not that it matters too much to me since I'll be skipping it in favor of just buying the core book.  That said,  kinda makes me hesitant to plop down a big chunk of change on a book whose cover is marred by a holy warrior fresh from the dyepot with an expression that reads, "Oh look.  French Toast Crunch.  Sweet." Perhaps the hair will have more of a silvery look when the actual book is released, though. And if I can pick it up on the cheap on the secondhand market, I won't really care if the cover isn't to my liking so long as I gain inexpensive access to the goodness inside.

1 hour ago, stato said:

Eh?  what are you looking at.

EDIT:  They have 8 models, 2 have maces, 2 have prime shoulders. You can run as 2 4s with a prime and mace in each. You can also buy a booster of 3, with 1 mace and 1 prime.  All these are legal by the scroll.

Want to run a unit of 8, well 2 primes in a unit is illegal, so you just tell your opponent which one is actually the prime, just like everyone who runs a unit of 30 liberators does.

Yeah two unit of 4 would be legal ; I was talking about how GW presents the unit here : 

And I prefer to play WYSIWYG ;) 

AoSSoulWarsLaunch-TerrainShot8dr.jpg

20 minutes ago, Aginor said:

I wonder what the point cost for the ballista will be. It sounds pretty strong.

Oh and I noticed that one of the Sequiturs' abilities mentions Demons. Not Chaos Demons so it hits Seraphon as well.

I never realised Seraphon have the Daemon key word, thanks for pointing this out.

22 minutes ago, Aginor said:

I wonder what the point cost for the ballista will be. It sounds pretty strong.

Oh and I noticed that one of the Sequiturs' abilities mentions Demons. Not Chaos Demons so it hits Seraphon as well.

It's also NIGHTHAUNT and not DEATH, which is something to consider.

5 hours ago, kuroyume said:

For sure. We'll have to see their points though. If they cost the same as Libertors, there will be no point to playing Liberators ever again.

I don't necessarily agree. I think they beat Protectors and Decimators, but not sure about Retibutors, especially now that we'll be able to have LCoF buff them without him having to be your General. Again, it may come down to points cost though (for units and battalions. Hammerstrike force getting a mild point drop could heavily favor Paladins)

I think protectors got a little but better in this edition : particularly a small squad as part of Hammerstrike to engage the enemies archers who can only shoot at them with minus 1 to hit. They're tanky enough that they should hold them up for quite a while too.

alternative use is as bodyguards for crutch characters making it -2 to hit them

35 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I guesss there are some improvement since the first starter set in that this set actually has some of the fancy weapons. There were no Grandhammers or Starsoul Maces in the starter box last time.

13 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I think prosecutors got a little but better in this edition : particularly a small squad as part of Hammerstrike to engage the enemies archers who can only shoot at them with minus 1 to hit. They're tanky enough that they should hold them up for quite a while too.

Absolutely, all light cavalry (which is what Prosecutors basically are) got better. Hopefully they also get a slight point drop and then they won't feel as part of the tax for a Hammerstrike Force.

37 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I think prosecutors got a little but better in this edition : particularly a small squad as part of Hammerstrike to engage the enemies archers who can only shoot at them with minus 1 to hit. They're tanky enough that they should hold them up for quite a while too.

alternative use is as bodyguards for crutch characters making it -2 to hit them

Why would enemy archers be -1 to hit Prosecutors?

What do you think? I’m calling cost per model. All the new warscrolls shown from stormcast and nighthaunt read: x unit contains any number of models’ 

I hope I’m wrong as it will try to resemble a balance that’s just not attainable. I personally liked the ‘rough’ point system we currently have. 

What do you think? Might that be one of those final reveals and if so would you be a fan? 

50 minutes ago, Kramer said:

What do you think? I’m calling cost per model. All the new warscrolls shown from stormcast and nighthaunt read: x unit contains any number of models’ 

I hope I’m wrong as it will try to resemble a balance that’s just not attainable. I personally liked the ‘rough’ point system we currently have. 

What do you think? Might that be one of those final reveals and if so would you be a fan? 

Just glancing through the stormcast warscrolls, gryph hounds, concussors, desolators, tempestors and  fulminators all have the same language. Could be individual model pricing, could be nothing. Too early to tell.

Had another game of AOS 1.5 (Slaanesh Daemons vs Tomb Kings) and I have to say that I *love* the command point system. I decided to go underpointed by 100 so I could bait out the opponent's charges first turn and then go all out with 4 command points on my second turn (basically everything piling in and attacking twice, which took out 520 points at the cost of 300) so I could clean up the objectives later. It adds a lot of tactical decisions to the game and really make you consider risk and reward. Also, the new command abilities won be the game (which was very very close - coming down to two wounds) as the 6" run was enormously important to get so I could reach an objective. Overall, I'm very impressed with that change. 

I still don't like new mystic shield as ir doesn't feel very impactful but it sometimes the only choice, but I think that the new spells should solve that. 

Also, if anyone's curious, I got about 28 depravity points (estimated based off what we know) after 5 turns. No idea what this would let me buy. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Had another game of AOS 1.5 (Slaanesh Daemons vs Tomb Kings) and I have to say that I *love* the command point system. I decided to go underpointed by 100 so I could bait out the opponent's charges first turn and then go all out with 4 command points on my second turn (basically everything piling in and attacking twice, which took out 520 points at the cost of 300) so I could clean up the objectives later. It adds a lot of tactical decisions to the game and really make you consider risk and reward. Also, the new command abilities won be the game (which was very very close - coming down to two wounds) as the 6" run was enormously important to get so I could reach an objective. Overall, I'm very impressed with that change. 

I still don't like new mystic shield as ir doesn't feel very impactful but it sometimes the only choice, but I think that the new spells should solve that. 

Also, if anyone's curious, I got about 28 depravity points (estimated based off what we know) after 5 turns. No idea what this would let me buy. 

How differently does your army play with the new differences? 

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Going by the seraphon summon list, I'd guess it's 12pts for 10 daemonettes.

4 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

How differently does your army play with the new differences? 

It's difficult to say fully because there's an endless spell that would be really useful (the healing one) but we didn't use endless spells because we don't know enough about them. Other than that, it plays more explosively as Slaanesh's only daemon command ability works on your turn only, so you never use it unless you can get into combat; this means that you usually have two command points (at least) by second turn, which can lead to some very painful plays. I feel that it was a good idea to underpoint myself as those command points did more than most 100 point units could. 

With the change to mystic shield and the fact I use a chaos sorcerer lord, most of my army was rerolling saves of 1. Unfortunately they had a -2 rend so if often didn't matter. 

It didn't make Tomb Kings play much differently as they were using Settra, but after Settra re-died they were still able to use command abilities so it helped them a tiny bit. 

3 hours ago, Waiyuren said:

Going by the seraphon summon list, I'd guess it's 12pts for 10 daemonettes.

That could be it. That said, the number of depravity points gotten in AoS 1.5 games seems very volatile (getting anywhere between 8 and 28 even with 6 heroes), so I feel 12 might be a bit much to summon a standard unit (then again, maybe you can summon a herald with 6 points). Obviously we don't know enough to say (they could be much easier to get than assumed, or harder), but they seem pretty difficult to get because heroes die so easily and it's difficult to prevent that. 

Archived