Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

Count me in as well as somebody who got into AoS (and tabletop wargaming in general) due to the simple 4 page rules.  I hope these ones are just as simple/easy to understand.

As tempted as I am by the starter box...I was burned by the push to fit lack of weapon options in the original so I may pass on this or wait till I see the normal weapon options. Of course weapon options were not a big deal till matched play was introduced.

I really want the core rules book as it reminds me of the realm gate wars campaign books, and the generals handbook as well. Not sure that leaves any money left over for models. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Also, am I reading this right...the Skirmish rules will be in the Malign Sorcery box? Seems they would make more sense in the core book. They were originally like only 4-8 pages of rules.

I read that more as that there would be skirmish battle plans and rules for the malign sorcery stuff.

Though in the note of Skirmish, I would if it will show up any where. I think it would be great if they put the skirmish rules in the Core book or GHB and enshrined the points "formula", that even GW community team has suggested for friendly games, as the official points.

14 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

I have the malign portents book, but haven't had the chance to read through it yet. Are the new magic rules in there?

No they are in the Malign sorcery expansion, as advertised in the community article. 

1 minute ago, chord said:

Count me in as well as somebody who got into AoS (and tabletop wargaming in general) due to the simple 4 page rules.  I hope these ones are just as simple/easy to understand.

As tempted as I am by the starter box...I was burned by the push to fit lack of weapon options in the original so I may pass on this or wait till I see the normal weapon options. Of course weapon options were not a big deal till matched play was introduced.

I really want the core rules book as it reminds me of the realm gate wars campaign books, and the generals handbook as well. Not sure that leaves any money left over for models. 

This looks like true starter box along the lines of the old AoS Starter and Dark Imperium to me, so even if they're not push fit, they'll probably be monopose.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

This looks like true starter box along the lines of the old AoS Starter and Dark Imperium to me, so even if they're not push fit, they'll probably be monopose.

Aren't all GW models nowadays monopose? 

The starter set + magic rules reminds me of WHFB 5th ed., at least in the way it is presented. Lots of stuff, so it should be cool!

Regarding the core rules being 18 pages, I think that means nothing. Example: the w40k rules are 15 pages yet have about the same number of rules than the AoS 4 pager, mainly coz of layout, font and non-rules adding content (explanation of a full game illustrated with pictures for example).

Might aswell remind that back in the days, there was this A4 sheet printed on both sides with all the basic info to play WHFB 6th ed. All the "must have" on 2 pages. Yet in the rulebook it spread out through like 120 pages.

Layout, font, illustration, concise to the point info all play a role on how long a rulebook is. I'm sure that the initial AoS 4 page could end up being 20 pages with a little editing.

Soooo, I honestly doubt the 18 pages will only be a full stack of rules, as the current rules are presented.

Can I ask anyone that knows a question that is likely only viable to me but...

Will the main rules still be free or do I have to buy the big box? Now I'd love to and sure as hell eventually will but I'm just about to buy a flat and frankly at this moment I'm looking preeety skint. I can grab the GHB and have my books but £100 for the box is just this month unfeasable for me.

This is in no way a complaint...I am so hyped for the game!

Just now, Lardidar said:

Will the main rules still be free or do I have to buy the big box? Now I'd love to and sure as hell eventually will but I'm just about to buy a flat and frankly at this moment I'm looking preeety skint. I can grab the GHB and have my books but £100 for the box is just this month unfeasable for me.

When they announced 2.0, the said the base rules will still be free,

Just now, Lardidar said:

Similar to 40k, the core rules will be free

They also stated that warscrolls will continue to be free as well, but I don't recall where they said this

2 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

They have said they'll be free. Probably in similar fashion as in 40k, so that the realms rules, scenarios etc. Are not included in the free pdf. 

It’s probably 18 pages including a contents page and a load of artwork. Anyone remember how long the core 40k “primer” was - that included an initial scenario for example which was beyond the 10 pages of actual core rules.

I also assume rules will be available for free as downloadable PDF and on the app.

The problem of AoS starter set was the weird number of miniatures when compared to the minis needed into a unit. You had to complete the Starter Set with a Start collecting asap to get full units. It was a bad move from GW. They corrected it (kinda) in 40K 8th last year.

I hope they learnt the lesson and do it right this time. But we can't know yet because those units are completely new.

Just now, stickybluetoffee said:

It’s probably 18 pages including a contents page and a load of artwork. Anyone remember how long the core 40k “primer” was - that included an initial scenario for example which was beyond the 10 pages of actual core rules.

It's also incredibly badly organised. I'm hoping GW break their life-long streak of bad rules writing and organisation with this! The 40k primer has mini boxes with extra rules all over the place, sometimes in irrelevant places. The AoS 1.0 core rules were some of the better rules writing GW have done, though the huge amount of Errata/FAQ show how much clarifying was required!

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

The problem of AoS starter set was the weird number of miniatures when compared to the minis needed into a unit. You had to complete the Starter Set with a Start collecting asap to get full units. It was a bad move from GW. They corrected it (kinda) in 40K 8th last year.

I hope they learnt the lesson and do it right this time. But we can't know yet because those units are completely new.

Well in GW's defense the start set was way before matched play unit sizes.  They need tried to fix that with small box sets to bring the numbers up to matched play. 

Just now, pseudonyme said:

When I see 20 models of the sale unit, I auromatically translate in 2 battleline units of 10. By the look of all the modeld, their number for units seems consistant

At first I was hoping it would be 2 10 man units, but after the 9 duplicate pairs, there's two unique models that probably server some kind of leader and standard bearer role.

8 minutes ago, chord said:

Well in GW's defense the start set was way before matched play unit sizes.  They need tried to fix that with small box sets to bring the numbers up to matched play. 

Maybe, maybe not. But I won't be fooled by that argument: GW knew it because they released immediatly the added individual units boxes with the right number of miniatures into them ;)B|

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Maybe, maybe not. But I won't be fooled by that argument: GW knew it because they released immediatly the added individual units boxes with the right number of miniatures into them ;)B|

Those were released after the GHB (around the same time)

Archived