Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

All of these amazing previews have convinced me to abandon my current 40k kick and jump into AoS. I've got two friends doing the same. Sadly, despite my service to the Emperor, my fiance has fallen to chaos and will run a Slaanesh army. My buddy is going Sylvaneth. 

And now, after seeing more of these amazing Nighthaunt models, I'm definitely going with them. Was there any news on a launch or preorder date at the expo?

Edit: Oops, ignore the above question. Didn't notice that it was already answered.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Not perhaps officially, but still could be played without issues.

We'll, "officially" is what matters to me. I don't enjoy playing by made up rules, and no matter what the agreement players may make, the moment you have to do so, you are making up rules.

2 hours ago, chord said:

Agreed that is very unbalanced. 

Compared to what?  BCR is a faction with no access to shooting and has no magic users. They also don't hit very good and very often miss attacks. The Thundertusk is the only viable and good model left in this faction. And this is the only ability left for BCR to still have good impact on the battlefield. 

The last time people complained a lot about the Stonehorn it got also nerfed. So please let us have this hero killer monster so we can still stand a chance on the battlefield. 

There are enough ways to work around this. Your casters could hide behind a building, you could attack the Thundertusk so that he only does D6 or D3 wounds after that or you could cast this new "wall" spell to hide behind. 

There are many ways to work around the 6 -wounds-shooting mechanic.  And if the Thundertusk gets enough damage it has very little impact on the battlefield. But please have mercy with us. There a lot of other units at the moment which are even more unbalanced than the Thundertusk. 

And for an army with little access to shooting or magic in an incoming expansion which focusses on magic a lot, they are not that strong. So please let us have this one +2 hit, 6 wound ability. There a lot of new spells and abilities (also endless spells) which will be good enough to counter units like the Thundertusk.

1 minute ago, Infeston said:

Compared to what?  BCR is a faction with no access to shooting and has no magic users. They also don't hit very good and very often miss attacks. The Thundertusk is the only viable and good model left in this faction. And this is the only ability left for BCR to still have good impact on the battlefield. 

The last time people complained a lot about the Stonehorn it got also nerfed. So please let us have this hero killer monster so we can still stand a chance on the battlefield. 

There are enough ways to work around this. Your casters could hide behind a building, you could attack the Thundertusk so that he only does D6 or D3 wounds after that or you could cast this new "wall" spell to hide behind. 

There are many ways to work against the 6 -wounds-shooting mechanic. But please have mercy with us. There a lot of other units at the moment which are even more unbalanced than the Thundertusk. 

And for an army with little access to shooting or magic in an incoming expansion which focusses on magic a lot, they are not that strong. So please let us have this one +2 hit, 6 wound ability. 

Or instead how about we try to get GW to give you a shooting unit, etc.  The ways to negate that always involve me going first.  

7 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Compared to what?  BCR is a faction with no access to shooting and has no magic users.

The fire breathing guy they linked in the faction focus implied that they did have magic users. What am I missing here?

9 minutes ago, chord said:

Or instead how about we try to get GW to give you a shooting unit, etc.  The ways to negate that always involve me going first.  

Jeah would also work. If it isn't just an "allied" shooting unit, but a BCR shooting unit instead. You could for example equip each Mournfang model with a pistol with more than one shot rather than just the captain.

But I still don't think the 6 wound mechanic is that bad, because you can still work around it. Just don't try to get to close to the Thundertusk or maybe cast an "Endless Spell" to attack the Thundertusk, so that his 6 wounds ability gets reduced to D6 wounds.

If BCR has no allied Butcher or Firebelly in their team, they will not even be able to dispel it. Because they can only ally in casters or shooting units, they also have very limited access to magic or shooting. 

But please don't demand to nerf this ability. It is the only ability we BCR players have left, which is kinda cool. Let BCR please have one ability so that they can still have an impact on the game. I don't think this will hurt so much.

Maybe i'm wrong but I see AoS2 like an expanssion to current version or an update with new things to make gameplay more awesome.

If AoS2 is a step to, as said, make all things I have not playable I will be very dissapointed.

I like how the game is, I own 6 armys and enjoy a lot playing also with my wood elves as wanderers with sylvaneth... Im hyped about 2.0 and hope it will open a lot of chances to make different games

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I hear you, but...

I think games will most definitely be slower at first, because few of us will have our plans in place ahead of time for what to pick from each Realm.  But, after a while we'll all have figured out our favourites, and it won't be a thing.

When you have more stuff to do in a game than you did before, it's going to be slower, even once you've adjusted. Also the idea that this helps non-battletome armies keep up with  battletome armies is silly. The gap isn't going to close with these rules, battletome armies are going to be able to abuse the frankly goofy 'realm rules' enough that getting an extra relic or w/e isn't going to matter and if there's a spell good enough to be worth taking (banisment) the battletome army will be able to take it and  use it better.

If anything the gap will be larger now.

23 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

We'll, "officially" is what matters to me. I don't enjoy playing by made up rules, and no matter what the agreement players may make, the moment you have to do so, you are making up rules.

Aren't they as made up rules as any battletome published during AoS first edition? Especially as the Malign portents rules are just flavourful addon and scenarios. Especially for scenarios it shouldn't n't matter at all even which game they are made for.  But of course,  you are free to play the game as you like. 

13 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

When you have more stuff to do in a game than you did before, it's going to be slower, even once you've adjusted. Also the idea that this helps non-battletome armies keep up with  battletome armies is silly. The gap isn't going to close with these rules, battletome armies are going to be able to abuse the frankly goofy 'realm rules' enough that getting an extra relic or w/e isn't going to matter and if there's a spell good enough to be worth taking (banisment) the battletome army will be able to take it and  use it better.

May as well switch to 9th Age then fella!

I think giving non-battletome armies having access to 7 new spells each battle is really good. My Chaos Sorceror Lord is going to have some new spells each game, and each game is going to feel really unique. It generally already does in AoS, so this is going to improve that aspect even further. Yes, the Battletome armies will have access to them as well,  but if you've got a battletome full of far more useful spells such as LoN you're probably not going to use them.

If I'm going up against a magic heavy army using my primary army of Ironjawz, I'm pretty pleased my Weirdnob Shammy is going to have 50%+ the same spells as Tzeentch, as opposed to the 0% now!

2 minutes ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

May as well switch to 9th Age then fella.

I think giving non-battletome armies having access to 7 new spells each battle is really good. My Chaos Sorceror Lord is going to have some new spells each game, and each game is going to feel really unique. It generally already does in AoS, so this is going to improve that aspect even further. Yes, the Battletome armies will have access to them as well,  but if you've got a battletome full of far more useful spells such as LoN you're probably not going to use them.

If I'm going up against a magic heavy army using my primary army of Ironjawz, I'm pretty pleased my Weirdnob Shammy is going to have 50%+ the same spells as Tzeentch, as opposed to the 0% now!

Same here. I bought two fungoid-cave shamans and before I didn't find any use in his ability to consume a mushroom to cast 2 spells, because he only had access to mystic shield and magic bolt. Now he has access to a lot more spells and his ability to cast two spells might be useful once in a while, because there are many spells he can choose from.

49 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

The realm rules are terrible and 'thematic' is GW speak for 'poorly thought out'.

That seems pretty harsh, but I noticed you didn't expand on what you mean. How is thematic considered bad? Are you coming from a tournament or a narrative perspective? What rules, for example, do you find to be well thought out in comparison? Why do you think these realm rules are terrible? Do you believe them to be too weak and therefore not worth using? Do you believe them to be unfun? Are you speaking only about what you think, or are do you have some insight into other rules not yet revealed?

I'm trying to get a better idea of the game (since this will be my first time in AoS) and I'd like to understand both the criticism and the praise. Mind helping me see what you're seeing?

The beastclaw write up was strange. It was not bad, it was not good either. It had no expected rules changes, or new mechanics added like other factions got some sort of unit synergy or summoning. It seemed to be devoided of any actual info, other then that some stuff is going to see points drop.

I hope they are substential, or there are some hidden rules we were not shown, because beastclaws don't seem to be very exiting to play. Also the buy 3 starter set was comical. Unless someone started beastlclaws yestarday, all the other beastclaw players already have 2-3 of those. I wish they showed or talked about something that could make people exited. The most exiting thing in the whole write up was firebellies being added to the army. No idea how dudes on fire are going to work with large beasts that have fur, and I probablly wanted a butcher more, but a faction wizard is a faction wizard. Hope they don't make him some 400 plus points uber beast.

20 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

The beastclaw write up was strange. It was not bad, it was not good either. It had no expected rules changes, or new mechanics added like other factions got some sort of unit synergy or summoning. It seemed to be devoided of any actual info, other then that some stuff is going to see points drop.

I hope they are substential, or there are some hidden rules we were not shown, because beastclaws don't seem to be very exiting to play. Also the buy 3 starter set was comical. Unless someone started beastlclaws yestarday, all the other beastclaw players already have 2-3 of those. I wish they showed or talked about something that could make people exited. The most exiting thing in the whole write up was firebellies being added to the army. No idea how dudes on fire are going to work with large beasts that have fur, and I probablly wanted a butcher more, but a faction wizard is a faction wizard. Hope they don't make him some 400 plus points uber beast.

I've seen this a few times, and based on your reaction I'm going to make the assumption that you're a Beastclaw player, or at the very least you know a lot about them. I've seen this same sentiment a few times after a player's primary or favourite faction received a focus article and they didn't answer their specific wishlist. It's a little bit of the 'grass is always greener on the other side' mentality, I think.

As a new player that knows nothing about any of these factions, all of these focus articles seem to be written for people like me or those who have other armies but are looking for some new project. This is all new information to me, and they give just enough lore background, a small taste of how they play, and a tease of what's to come with the new edition that I can understand these factions more than I otherwise would with a deluge of rule changes and warscroll screenshots. It's not like you have to wait long to get the information you seek - it'll be in the book after all. 

I can say however that the aesthetic for this faction isn't something I'm particularly interested in. They're nice models, so being able to field more of them sounds lovely and I can imagine this would be one of the cooler factions to build conversions out of for the artefacts they detailed a few posts ago. The story is super interesting, too - how they're constantly moving to stay away from an endless winter. Also, what's up with the insatiable hunger thing? These guys feel pretty downtrodden (and they look it), so for me their fluff is interesting. I was also particularly interested in what looks like another of those fantastic endless spells too. 

39 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Same here. I bought two fungoid-cave shamans and before I didn't find any use in his ability to consume a mushroom to cast 2 spells, because he only had access to mystic shield and magic bolt. Now he has access to a lot more spells and his ability to cast two spells might be useful once in a while, because there are many spells he can choose from.

They can do that?! I need to get me one o' those!

53 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Aren't they as made up rules as any battletome published during AoS first edition? Especially as the Malign portents rules are just flavourful addon and scenarios. Especially for scenarios it shouldn't n't matter at all even which game they are made for.  But of course,  you are free to play the game as you like. 

No, I mean made up by players. I just don't like learning a set of rules that work in one house or shop, then another set at the next place, and so on. 

I prefer to play by the standard rules set - the one that is current as set forth by the publisher. If GW puts out the Battletome updates for older ones, then they become the current rules from the publisher. If they do the same with MP, great!

I just want to avoid using rules that are not current, or rules that change depending on who you play.

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

I don't think anyone argued that the gap would close.  As to it being bigger, there is no way to definitively tell until we get the full rules.  Your prediction could end up true - or it might not.  Time will tell on that one.

But I think for most people using the non-battletome forces what is exciting is not so much these new abilities making some sort of parity and rather just having more options where before you had little to none.  That alone excites some people and it should not be discounted.  I think it is good that these generic rules seem to have toys for everyone to play with.

1 hour ago, chord said:

How do Ogres not have a couple that just throw rocks from the backfield?  Like fire pail brigade from a basket of stones on the back of one of those giant ram things?

3 hours ago, Jamopower said:

Why wouldn’t they be compatible? I don't remember all the abilities by heart, but if there is no massive surprises on the basic rules ahead, making them obsolete would also require making all the battletomes obsolete. 

I got the impression somewhere that there wasn't even going to be new Shyish time of war rules like they're doing for the other realms in the AOS 2.0 books, it would just continue to use the ones from MP. 

4 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

How do Ogres not have a couple that just throw rocks from the backfield?  Like fire pail brigade from a basket of stones on the back of one of those giant ram things?

The Scraplauncher is pretty much exactly that.  There is also the Ironblaster and Leadbelchers.  They just require Beastclaw players to be willing to use the Ally system and bring them in from the Gutbusters (along with wizards).  But it would be nice for some of that to eventually get added to Beastclaw Raiders (at least a non-ally wizard).

39 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Jeah I understand what you mean. I like the point drops, but on the other hand I would have wished for more "support", like updated allegiance abilities or maybe some tweaks at the Everwinter mechanics.

I think this is a missed opportunity. But at first I had thought they wouldn't even post about us, so I am still happy about the reveal even thouh it is not very spectacular. I mean other factions even got some mechanics tweaked for them. 

Archived