Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

I was surfing on the destructions armies at GW,  and I was thinking: "what superb assets they have in the range of green skins babies: ork, gobs, trolls, machines, squigs, spiders... What if they did a Legion of Nagash like battletome, lets say Legions of GreenZ ?"

I have so many miniatures from old ages of WFB, night gobs, catapults, orks, monsters...I'd like to have something to make them into a nice actual AoS army!

You forgot the Ogors. I have to say that I as an Ogor player don't want Destruction to always get reduced to Greenskins. I really hope that GW will also add new AOSified Ogor models to the mix. Or maybe a Battletome for all Ogors. Maybe also Trolls or Giants as whole factions. I don't know why it always has to be Greenskins everywhere. Orks and Goblins exist in every fantasy setting and world. So the concepts for Orruks are not that new in my opinion. But Ogors riding on snow beasts are something special in my eyes.

So I hope that GW will expand on the snow theme and maybe also add new models to the BCR range. At the moment BCR are the only real army with a snow and ice theme in AoS. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheUnknownGuy said:

I think what can be done is to tell all the players that the GT will be set in the realm of ......., so they can plan their list/artifact/spells accordingly

Like at London GT - did players use those rules there? 

1 minute ago, Sheriff said:

They are already part of the rules but everyone ignores them. 

I guess it depends on how core rules are defined. The current core rules do specify choosing a realm, but that currently has no effect without add ons(maybe some warscrolls? I can't recall seeing any). The Time of War stuff is already narrative only. So all this new realm specific stuff is a pretty big change and meshes with the core roles better than previous realm only stuff(the Time of War can be a bit wonky).

Just now, Sheriff said:

Like at London GT - did players use those rules there? 

The previous iteration of these rules were rather underdeveloped, so don't be like that if people find them interesting in a refined state and make suggestions for tournament play.

8 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

TOs could just fix the realm for each round.  Then players can plan in advance for the realms they'll be in.

That's the only way I see it implemented in to a "serious matchrf play" event. Even then, the rules for realms already exists. I don't see any reason why they would be used more just because they have more content. 

I will be using the realm rules in any events I run as its a great way to add another narrative aspect to matched play.Adapting them would be easy as each rounds scenario would also note the realm rules along with it to use:)

2 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

That's the only way I see it implemented in to a "serious matchrf play" event. Even then, the rules for realms already exists. I don't see any reason why they would be used more just because they have more content. 

It more just about the spells.  TOs could ditch the "realm" entirely and either say you're fixed on spells for this realm or let you pick your realm spells regardless of realm, but I'm not sure if it will upset balance to allow picking spells.

6 minutes ago, Infeston said:

You forgot the Ogors. I have to say that I as an Ogor player don't want Destruction to always get reduced to Greenskins. I really hope that GW will also add new AOSified Ogor models to the mix. Or maybe a Battletome for all Ogors. Maybe also Trolls or Giants as whole factions. I don't know why it always has to be Greenskins everywhere. Orks and Goblins exist in every fantasy setting and world. So the concepts for Orruks are not that new in my opinion. But Ogors riding on snow beasts are something special in my eyes.

So I hope that GW will expand on the snow theme and maybe also add new models to the BCR range. At the moment BCR are the only real army with a snow and ice theme in AoS. 

there is no reason to be mad. I was speaking of GREENZ, not destruction. So, my idea was to make something with unused/forgotten/without battletome units and miniatures in the goblin/orks range. That's it.  And if you look carefully the tourney, there is not that much "greenskins everywhere" like you say.  That doesn't mean that something can't be done with ogors etc... But greens are already there to make so many things in AoS...too bad they don't have their battletome. It'll be a cheap way to revive them by GW

12 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

It more just about the spells.  TOs could ditch the "realm" entirely and either say you're fixed on spells for this realm or let you pick your realm spells regardless of realm, but I'm not sure if it will upset balance to allow picking spells.

I am not a tournament player and never attended at a tournament. I often use matched play points and rules to balance out my battles or to help adjust the power level. But is any sort of randomness such a big thing in tournament play? 

I would think that the most skilled player is also the player who can adapt to randomness very fast. So I always assumed that randomness adds an extra layer to prove your skill in adapting and using the environment on the tabletop to your advantage. 

But do tournaments really always have to fix everything so that it can be fair and balance? In my opinion the only way to balance everything and make it completely fair would be to play on a plain table with no terrain and both sides having the same army, with the same units, in the same position, the same artifacts and the same spells. And even after that some things would still be determined by a random dice roll. But this ist just my opinion. I don't know the tournament scene very well. 

But I think all the effort to balance AoS will in the end fail. You can still try to make it better balanced or give anyone the option to compete. But I think it will never be possible. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

there is no reason to be mad. I was speaking of GREENZ, not destruction. So, my idea was to make something with unused/forgotten/without battletome units and miniatures in the goblin/orks range. That's it.  And if you look carefully the tourney, there is not that much "greenskins everywhere" like you say.  That doesn't mean that something can't be done with ogors etc... But greens are already there to make so many things in AoS...too bad they don't have their battletome. It'll be a cheap way to revive them by GW

Oh sorry. I didn't want to sound mad. I am really not. ? But everytime people talk about Destruction and only mention Ironjawz or Goblins I always feel the need to say "We Ogors are also a part of Destruction and we also want attention!" ? 

So I just wanted to say, that I am all in for new Ogor models and maybe a battletome "Ogors". ? 

Eh; Sounds fun, but I don't think comprtative or tournament players will be jumping to add into their events. Especially with things like that Missile buff in Chamon, or the double combat in Ghur. Those things are just a bit too random, and can really punish certain armies that don't blend well with the trait, despite also technically recieving it as well. 

For example, my Idoneth ravagers would LOVE to have rend -1. And if I get to have another round of combat priority on turn 3? By all means, yes please!

But at the same time, what is my Legion of Nagash army gonna do? I think the only ranged attack that has a rend value are Zombie Dragons! And while the double combat might be nice if I need to kill a specific unit off, Death usually likes going second, or following a specific turn order, that way we can get our minions back.

7 minutes ago, Infeston said:

But is any sort of randomness such a big thing in tournament play? 

Imagine you play in Aqshy and you play an army that doesn't have a lot of ranged weapons against an army that does and those arrows come up.  There isn't much you can do to mitigate that.

Now, there might be other features that could soften that blow so it's a little early to tell.

8 minutes ago, Infeston said:

But does tournament really always have to fix everything so that it can be fair? In my opinion the only way to balance everything would be to play on a plain table with both sides having the same army, with the same units, in the same position, the same artifacts and the same spells. And even after that some things would always be determined by a random dice roll. But this ist just my opinion. I don't know the tournament scene very well. 

You've essentially described chess and now all I want is a chess set with Mortal Realms rules.

"This chess set takes place in Ghur. Rooks move one extra space and Queens have been replaced by Maw Krushas"

I'm not sure about spells being linked to the realm that we fight. If my army comes from Aqshy, but fights in Ghyran, my spellcasters should know the spells from Aqshy: they studied their magic in Aqshy, or at least, they have knowledge about Aqshy magic. Maybe If they fight in Ghyran, their magic should be a little less powerful (like the endless spells), but still, they should use magic from the realm that they came from. 

That's not a new layer of complexity, it's just more option in the same layer (spellcasters will still be using magic, but now, they have more spells to chose). At the same time, this will give some support to old armies without battletomes (and unique spell-lores). 

Just now, bsharitt said:

It sounds like the trend of non-summoning armies getting price drops across the board is still going on. I'm going to have to buy more Nurgle stuff because I don't think that army is keeping up unless I'm summoning.

and this is what i said a while ago.

" summoning is so op its broken as f... " 

not quite, armies which dont summon could end up being so much cheaper and aggressive that the armies which rely upon summoning might not get the chance to ramp up as they've been bumrushed and wiped out beyond any meaningful response 

Just now, Beliman said:

If my army comes from Aqshy, but fights in Ghyran, my spellcasters should know the spells from Aqshy

In terms of fluff the "winds" of magic from Aqshy won't blow in Ghyran so it makes sense.  

I would *like* to build my lists around the spells that I like.    So who knows what tournaments will do.  Or casual gamers, too.

Just now, Beliman said:

I'm not sure about spells being linked to the realm that we fight. If my army comes from Aqshy, but fights in Ghyran, my spellcasters should know the spells from Aqshy: they studied their magic in Aqshy, or at least, they have knowledge about Aqshy magic. Maybe If they fight in Ghyran, their magic should be a little less powerful (like the endless spells), but still, they should use magic from the realm that they came from. 

That's not a new layer of complexity, it's just more option in the same layer (spellcasters will still be using magic, but now, they have more spells to chose). At the same time, this will give some support to old armies without battletomes (and unique spell-lores). 

The thematic feel I'm getting from it is that spell casters are trained in the magic of their own tribes and people and know those spells, but at the same time now the realms themselves are each bursting at the seams with their own flavor of magic that even the most rudimentary spell caster can harness.

11 minutes ago, Beliman said:

In my opinion it's only logical that the spellcasters draw magic from the realm where they are currently located. I mean the Mortal Realms are basically the Winds of Magics from WHFB made into separate magical worlds. The wizards have their own spells (on their warscrolls and their battletome) which represent their training, and then there are additionnal spells that depends on the environmental magic.

2 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

You've essentially described chess and now all I want is a chess set with Mortal Realms rules.

"This chess set takes place in Ghur. Rooks move one extra space and Queens have been replaced by Maw Krushas"

Oh jeah! You are totally right. It's chess what I described. ? No wonder chess is still a very popular game!

But I also really like to play unbalanced games. I have lost very often and I for myself don't get frustrated when I loose (with one exception: if I have an opponent who really brags about winning against me or who exploits mechanics just to win). Some of the best battles that I have played I did loose. But they often were exciting.  

And I always have a good laugh if my giant Stonehorn fails to hit a single little soldier, while he kills the giant beast. So I always like new mechanics which add a new layer of randomness.

Archived