Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

This looks amazing! I just started building a Stormcast army so it looks like I'm in luck... reinforcements incoming!

Given how I've been eyeing the existing Nighthaunt line... I think a Stormcast v Nighthaunt core box is perfect for me. Very happy!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Condottiero Magno said:

Do I have to buy those dice now and will the rules still be free? What of the Open War cards? Did I waste $15 on something that was planned to be invalidated in a year? Will I still get to measure from the model - I'm not rebasing everything...

Compelling story?!?9_9xD

Also the game is going back to squares...'RAGE'

I'm interested to see how the Command points thing plays out.  40k stratagems are alright and I like how each army has their own unique set, but the number of stratagems can be a bit intimidating and basing the number of command points on your army structure is unfortunate.  It leads to people trying to spam detachments to farm Command Points instead of making interesting, lore-driven armies. 
I really enjoyed Malign Portents and the Prophecy points.  I love how the number of Prophecy points you get varies per turn and the small number of Portents you can use per game lets you try them all out most of them time.  Next game you can try a different set if you like but 6 "stratagems" is more reasonable than 36.

Also I would just like to say how angry I am that GW are releasing 2nd Ed.in June while I'm out of the country for a month.  I know they only did it because they knew I'd be gone and I'm going to take it as a personal insult because GW hates me!  And that's my totally reasonable complaint!  ?  

7 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Also I would just like to say how angry I am that GW are releasing 2nd Ed.in June while I'm out of the country for a month.  I know they only did it because they knew I'd be gone and I'm going to take it as a personal insult because GW hates me!  And that's my totally reasonable complaint!  ?  

They did mention they were planning some sort of slap in the face gesture towards you personally in last year’s annual report ?

21 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

So whats happening to the Stormcast, are they breaking up into separate factions like the SM chapters in 40k or is this new battletome just another revision of the Stormcast battletome? Do we know?

Not at all. The Chapters would be the Stormhosts (Hammers of Sigmar, Hallowed Knights, Astral Templars,etc). Each Stormhost is formed by one or several Chambers: Strike Chambers (Harbinger, Warrior, Exemplar), Tempest Chambers (Vanguard and Extremis) and there were until now Unopened Chambers. Each Chamber has an unique purpose. Sacrosanct is composed by Wizards. We're still waiting for Ruination, Logister and Covenant Chambers to be opened. 

5 minutes ago, Kamose said:

I'm interested to see how the Command points thing plays out.  40k stratagems are alright and I like how each army has their own unique set, but the number of stratagems can be a bit intimidating and basing the number of command points on your army structure is unfortunate.  It leads to people trying to spam detachments to farm Command Points instead of making interesting, lore-driven armies. 
I really enjoyed Malign Portents and the Prophecy points.  I love how the number of Prophecy points you get varies per turn and the small number of Portents you can use per game lets you try them all out most of them time.  Next game you can try a different set if you like but 6 "stratagems" is more reasonable than 36.

Its just that, every faction has an entire deck of stratagems they can use. And then theres the three standard that anyone can use. And then certain missions add even more, though you could always avoid those missions.

For a casual player that might be playing many different games, this becomes a mindwreck and a timesink. Though, here is a point to make that the stratagem does give the armies a certain thematic flavour, many stratagems really does fit the factions they are give to, and this is a good thing.

One idea, IF stratagems gets introduced into AoS, is to limit them. Each faction can have as many stratagems as GW care to write, but for every game you must select only a few that you will have available. 3-5, perhaps. Then I wouldnt have much of an issue with it and would welcome it into AoS as well.

4 minutes ago, Kako said:

Not at all. The Chapters would be the Stormhosts (Hammers of Sigmar, Hallowed Knights, Astra Templars). Each Stormhost is formed by one or several Chambers: Strike Chambers (Harbinger, Warrior, Exemplar), Tempest Chambers (Vanguard and Extremis) and there were until now Unopened Chambers. Each Chamber has an unique purpose. Sacrosanct is composed by Wizards. We're still waiting for Ruination, Logister and Covenant Chambers to be opened. 

Ah cool, I like that. It would be sad if they broke it up, I like that its a unified faction but still with plenty of room for customisation and variety!

But the new battletome, I wonder if it will be a complete Stormcast battletome or only the new units? I remember buying the first stormcast battletome, then the extremis, then they joined those two into a new one. The extremis one always felt kind of meaningless.

Just now, Attackmack said:

Ah cool, I like that. It would be sad if they broke it up, I like that its a unified faction but still with plenty of room for customisation and variety!

But the new battletome, I wonder if it will be a complete Stormcast battletome or only the new units? I remember buying the first stormcast battletome, then the extremis, then they joined those two into a new one. The extremis one always felt kind of meaningless.

That is also not certain. The Knight Excelsiors are becoming... strange. Also there was that short story about the soul that tried to escape the reforging. It's too soon to tell, but something might happen. Souls Wars might have some answers.

12 minutes ago, Kamose said:

I really enjoyed Malign Portents and the Prophecy points.  I love how the number of Prophecy points you get varies per turn and the small number of Portents you can use per game lets you try them all out most of them time.  Next game you can try a different set if you like but 6 "stratagems" is more reasonable than 36

I couldn’t agree more with your statement on army structure being tied to command points. Maybe cool system where you earn this resource to spend “command points” in game performing game maneuvers. 

Eiher way lots of exciting stuff!

1 hour ago, FleetAdmiral said:

Can also mean that you can’t shoot if you’re in combat. 

That would make Throwing Axes useless. if you only can use it when you are in range between 4" and 8".  "Can't shoot Out of Combat" should simply mean that you can't target other units with missile weapons if you are in combat than the units you are in combat.

Edit:

If they should be unable to shoot if they are in Combat Pete would likely have said. "Units can't shoot if they are in combat" and not "can't shoot out of combat". 

26 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

That would make Throwing Axes useless. if you only can use it when you are in range between 4" and 8".  "Can't shoot Out of Combat" should simply mean that you can't target other units with missile weapons if you are in combat than the units you are in combat.

Thats probably it, shooting OUT of combats sound specifically like your targeting a different unit from the one your combating.

Though I would prefer if shooting while in combat was completely removed, and instead certain warscrolls allow their units to do so where suitable.

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I couldn’t agree more with your statement on army structure being tied to command points. Maybe cool system where you earn this resource to spend “command points” in game performing game maneuvers. 

Eiher way lots of exciting stuff!

I hope GW won't link command points to battalions, because factions who have access to cheap ones will be able to use more command points.

4 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Fingers crossed you can still at least shoot at the unit you're engaging, don't want to lose the Legolas Waywatchers!

why would they care ? They can already retreat out of combat and still shoot. There isn't any case where waywatchers would be firing while in melee.

6 hours ago, chord said:

Ugh...... I hope it's still as simple as the 4 pages. 

But the FAQ is like what more than 10 pages. If anything I rather have a big rule book that is done properly instead of an FAQ than having small rules where you need more pages of FAQ to play through. That is more flipping through multiple FAQs now. Simple. Yes. Having more depth. Yes. Having more pages doesn't mean being complicated. Having poor rules then multiple FAQs to address them is what makes it complex with no depth to the game.

7 minutes ago, Davor said:

But the FAQ is like what more than 10 pages. If anything I rather have a big rule book that is done properly instead of an FAQ than having small rules where you need more pages of FAQ to play through. That is more flipping through multiple FAQs now. Simple. Yes. Having more depth. Yes. Having more pages doesn't mean being complicated. Having poor rules then multiple FAQs to address them is what makes it complex with no depth to the game.

There will still be multi page FAQ's since the community at large is awkward trying to twist the rules for an advantage

Archived