Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

4 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Weird. Castigators are cheaper than Judicators (currently 5 for 160), and the Balista was previously mentioned to be the same as Liberators (5 for 100). I guess at that price the Balista is still interesting but not a no-brainer.

Or Liberators got an increase...as I wrote in the rumour thread, the exact price (100) wasn't stated there by the "leaker".

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mortarch is stunning. The relative simplicity of the sculpt is something GW needs more of. If a model has nothing but detail, your eye wanders all around trying to find the focus point. Paint job aside (the roses are way too brightly painted), the obvious focus of this model is the face and crown, exactly as it should be. The freedom that the lack of clutter affords the painter also means that we will see some incredible paint jobs of her, and I suspect she will be a favourite in painting competitions going forward. The pose is regal, yet somber, and the veil combined with the wedding dress is appropriately creepy and conveys a feeling of dignified mourning. I honestly think it's a masterpiece.

4 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

Or Liberators got an increase...as I wrote in the rumour thread, the exact price (100) wasn't stated there by the "leaker".

Liberators don't deserve a point hike, at all. Their current rules and stats are extremely meh. They are hardly taken except as filler (even more rarely as allies or in Mixed Order) or in huge Vanguard Wing blobs.

At 120, they would make Hunters look good (if only by comparison) and Sequitors look no-brainer.

7 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Liberators don't deserve a point hike, at all. Their current rules and stats are extremely meh. They are hardly taken except as filler (even more rarely as allies or in Mixed Order) or in huge Vanguard Wing blobs.

At 120, they would make Hunters look good (if only by comparison) and Sequitors look no-brainer.

I agree with you. I was just following very simple logic...if Ballista costs the same as Liberators and Ballista costs 120 then Liberators have to cost 120. That or one of the premises is wrong. Which is hopefully this case.

8 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Otherwise the pose is great and I like that she's not a colossal celetant-prime sized model.  Speaking of definition though, the chest area has rather more of it than I would've expected for, y'know, a ghost...

EDIT: You know I think I like that it is such a stripped down sculpt compared to the big mortarch box or Nagash himself. Clean lines and smooth textures, less ridged armour and infill of skulls. Not dynamic, certainly, but makes her look like she's drifting forward in stately fashion. Most of the other nightgaunt models we've seen have a much more frenetic sense of movement so she would look good surrounded by the swarms of more action-y ghosts like the spirit hosts or grimghast wraiths.

Exactly my thought, couldn't have said it better I think.

I have to admit (also to myself), that I felt a little bit disappointed first time I saw it. But I realize this is mainly because of all hype and the speculations of the past few weeks. It kind of raised my expectations to a level no model would ever be able to satisfy I guess. Also because after the awesome new models already shown, you start hoping for a centerpiece even more incredible than i.e. the black coach,, but it wouldn't be fair for me to criticize the model based on these unrealistic expectations.

Now when I look again, I think the mortarch perfectly fits the night haunt army, and I start liking it more and more. As you say, I really like the fact that she is not colossal, and more subtle in the details. Yet another huge model on a monstrous mount would simply not match the rest of the army. 

A lot has been said about the chosen white color scheme. Personally I am not sure what I prefer. White is a hard color to make a model stand out in all its detail, I think. Especially with the large surface this model has. Also, I think when shown against a darker background, it would look much better. 

On the other hand I like how the white color makes the mortarch stand out from the rest of the mostly dark toned army. And of course there is the bride theme. I think I will go for white eventually, maybe trying to have it blend a bit more into a ethereal, or otherwise dark color.  anyway, I will have plenty of time to think about it, because as much as I like it, I probably start with buying a starter box, and the black coach when it becomes available. The last is definitely my favorite new model shown so far.  

It's not going to happen, but I wish that liberators (and most of Stormcast tbh) would get a warscroll change to make them more impressive and elite. The way they're written about in the lore, you'd expect them to be about 3 or 4 wounds each with attacks that live up to their god-forged weapons, but instead we get the most average of all average warscrolls. It just kind of strikes me as funny that they were sent down to reclaim the land against Chaos and often take out huge cults with a small detachment, but on the tabletop 30 bloodletters would probably eat the entire chamber's liberator section for breakfast. There's always going to disparity between tabletop and lore, but this one seems pretty huge and avoidable.

But more back on topic, liberators don't deserve a points hike unless their warscroll is changing so they live up to their god-warrior title. 

Wow, I'm loving the Mortarch of Grief.  Not only is it a brand new character rather than recycling an old one (as cool as Vlad and Isabella are), but the model works really well with the rest of the range - to my eyes she's not going to be an "in your face" melee unit.  Looking forward to how people paint her up - I can see some amazing sheer fabric effects being done.

13 hours ago, jazzy128 said:

I'm a little annoyed that the new starter does not provide a full group of evocators or 2 sequitors. Bit of a ****** move. Hopefully they make a cheap supplement box. But it is quite annoying in terms of assembling and painting.

I've a theory about that...  We've had it confirmed that Sequitors are going to be given out as the new "freebie" model in stores so there's potential to pick one there.  I'm also thinking we may get a free model on the cover of WD next month or similar?  Could just be me wishlisting, but wouldn't surprise me.

9 minutes ago, azmarus said:

mael in aos2.0 ?

mael.jpg

Yes.  I flipped through that section today when I had my hands on the book.  That is just about the last section in the book and it is located at the end of the Matched Play section.

22 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

That's a shame, a bad rule remains.

Sorry to be a bother but did you notice if rerolls are still before modifiers?

I agree that it is a shame.  I was pretty sad when I read that rule.  I did not read the section about rerolls and modifiers - sorry.  The only rule I specifically looked for was the first turn priority rule.

I’ll try to check on it tomorrow if I can find the time.

16 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd be very surprised if this changes because otherwise it'd make re-rolling 1's pointless in a lot of situations.

In the current rules anything below a 1 counts as a 1 if I recall correctly so not so much.

Edit: Guess it doesn't but it would be a rather easy fix. 

2 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

In the current rules anything below a 1 counts as a 1 if I recall correctly so not so much.

Edit: Guess it doesn't but it would be a rather easy fix. 

Thinking about it, I'm 99% positive it's staying as it is, because it wasn't spoken about on the stream last night and there were plenty of re-rolls going around.  I think the only really weird bit about it currently is when re-roll all failed X, because a minus modifier will cause some dice results to not be re-rollable.

From the WHC reveal we also get a glimpse of the broad background behind the Nighthaunt and where they stand 'at the moment' in the timeline.

We knew that they most of the new models were the AoS equivalent of Tantalus and Sisyphus from greek myth, souls punished in creative ways by Nagash in his role as judge of the dead. The WHC piece makes it clear that they are only now being marshaled into an actual fighting force under the Mortarch of Grief instead of being tormented in Nagashizzar. It suggests that the spirit hosts, cairn wraiths, tomb banshees and hexwraiths were something closer to 'free spirits', if you will, already spread around the realms in various tombs and gravesites and newly pulled en-masse into service as a legion of their own.

It's sort of a meta way of dealing with the new models. It's a bit like the Daughters of Khaine. Normal witch elves and suchlike were everywhere in the cities of the realms but Morathi kept the mutants hidden in Ulgu or shadowy temples and they're only now seeing more public appearances.

11 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

From the WHC reveal we also get a glimpse of the broad background behind the Nighthaunt and where they stand 'at the moment' in the timeline.

We knew that they most of the new models were the AoS equivalent of Tartarus and Sisyphus from greek myth, souls punished in creative ways by Nagash in his role as judge of the dead. The WHC piece makes it clear that they are only now being marshaled into an actual fighting force under the Mortarch of Grief instead of being tormented in Nagashizzar. It suggests that the spirit hosts, cairn wraiths, tomb banshees and hexwraiths were something closer to 'free spirits', if you will, already spread around the realms in various tombs and gravesites and newly pulled en-masse into service as a legion of their own.

It's sort of a meta way of dealing with the new models. It's a bit like the Daughters of Khaine. Normal witch elves and suchlike were everywhere in the cities of the realms but Morathi kept the mutants hidden in Ulgu or shadowy temples and they're only now seeing more public appearances.

Equally, the Idoneth coming to the fore as a known race. They're handling the lore exceptionally well I think from Malign Portents to now. It was my biggest issue with AoS initially, but now I think it's fantastic.

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Thinking about it, I'm 99% positive it's staying as it is, because it wasn't spoken about on the stream last night and there were plenty of re-rolls going around.  I think the only really weird bit about it currently is when re-roll all failed X, because a minus modifier will cause some dice results to not be re-rollable.

That's the best example because it's very common (rend is not a rare stat)

So those who have read through the book, are there any new "core rules" that haven't been mentioned in the previews. So actual rules concerning movement, shooting, magic, combat or battleshock, not any scenario specific stuff or additional flavour, which I'm sure there is plenty of.

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

That pretty much follows the trend then - in the last box Khorne had less points

I mean it's normal as they balance the box sets by model count (more than points total) and then if one side is an elite force they'll be worth more points.

That's my take anyway.

Archived