Archaon army at 2500

Solvanic

Hi guys,

I have been list building in anticipation of general's handbook. This is the current list I am thinking to take at 2500, it tries to take maximum advantage of Archaon's command abilities by maxing out to 8 leaders (and using all my favorite hero models :) )

War shrine (buffs Varanguard rerolling 1s to hit and wound)

Archaon: (allows use of all command abilities)

Varanguard x 6: (the hammer of the force)

bloodreavers x 40: (the fodder)

Aspiring Deathbringer x4: (+4 attacks is good)

Lord of Khorne on Jugg: (unlocks varanguard maximum damage)

Skullgrinder: (1 man beatstick)

Bloodsecrator: (Battleshock immunity)

The idea will be for the 4 aspiring death bringers to start as on the front line, move and run to get their +1A bubbles as far downfield as possible. If the Varanguard can stay in the bloodsecrator/4 Deathbringer aura, they will do 180 rend -2 wounds on their charge double pile in+horses. I will be giving the Skullgrinder the +1 attack relic and he will average 13 rend-1 wounds. While I consider the bloodreavers essentially fodder, if they are ignored they will definitely be in range of all heroes (they are slow) and will dish out 6 rend -1 attacks each/turn. 

What I would love help with is opposition analysis, what would you attack first in this list? My initial thoughts are that Archaon is the primary target because if he dies all the extra command abilities are wasted. Although most of the real damage comes from the varanguard, so perhaps they will be focused? Or will shooting go for the bloodsecrator? Any suggestions on things to change in the list would be welcome! I have debated adding my Gaunt summoner and then the overlords of chaos formation, but I think this is superior?

Thanks!!

If you're enemy is shooting at Archaon, then you're probably winning. Assuming he's on a 2+ save by mystic shielding himself, then he's a nightmare to get rid of and his Slayer of Kings doesn't get any weaker as he takes wounds.

My main concern is that you'll be slowed down by trying to stay near the Deathbringers.

They can clear off the Deathbringers with normal shooting attacks (4+ save). The Bloodsecrator is also a tempting shooting target.

Another problem is you're going to hit the hero cap (I think it's 6). You'll also want a Bloodsecrator - reroll 1s to wound and speed buff. The Warshrine is pretty unreliable and much more expensive that a Bloodsecrator for an unreliable buff.

On July 15, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Nico said:

If you're enemy is shooting at Archaon, then you're probably winning. Assuming he's on a 2+ save by mystic shielding himself, then he's a nightmare to get rid of and his Slayer of Kings doesn't get any weaker as he takes wounds.

My main concern is that you'll be slowed down by trying to stay near the Deathbringers.

They can clear off the Deathbringers with normal shooting attacks (4+ save). The Bloodsecrator is also a tempting shooting target.

Another problem is you're going to hit the hero cap (I think it's 6). You'll also want a Bloodsecrator - reroll 1s to wound and speed buff. The Warshrine is pretty unreliable and much more expensive that a Bloodsecrator for an unreliable buff.

Thanks for the response man,

At 2500 the hero limit is 8! I think you meant bloodstoker not bloodsecrator? As far as speed goes I think about it this way, 24 inches of no man's land to cover, the Deathbringers move 5 run 3.5 I know the war shrine isn't that good because its so expensive pointswise, but I love how mine is painted, and thats one of the reasons I tried to make the rest of the list competitive. The best part of the war shrine is mathematically it increases all of your models wounds by 16.6%, essentially adds a wound to all of my 5 wound heroes. I suppose they might try to shoot and kill the Deathbringers separately, but then the varanguard will be untouched!

i wound go all out and target the varanguard straight away. if they get neutralised then your list is a lot less scary. thats being said, having big bad on the board will ALWAYS make some of your opponents target him instead of the "weak" links in your list

looks like a proper nasty list though buddy!! and fluffy to boot!! 

8 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

i wound go all out and target the varanguard straight away. if they get neutralised then your list is a lot less scary. thats being said, having big bad on the board will ALWAYS make some of your opponents target him instead of the "weak" links in your list

looks like a proper nasty list though buddy!! and fluffy to boot!! 

Thanks man! I do think the Varanguard is the smart first target because they are the heavy damage of the list, and also incredibly expensive pointswise. I think they will be the recipient of mystic shield as long as Archaon cant get 1 shot. In addition the Aspiring deathbringers get to reroll their armor saves if one of them dies ;), so it will become very difficult to bring them all down. 

Any suggestions on what I should cut to get to 2k? I dont think Archaon is possible to run at much less than 2k. 

Archived