Warhammer Legends

On 5/10/2018 at 11:42 PM, Karol said:

But those aren't official, and you would more or less have to force the other person  to accept to play the game the way you want. But never mind I don't want to derail the topic. See I come from a country where play the narrative is used as an insult, or when you want to make fun of someone playing bad or with a bad army.

Well the point is that you talk with your opponent. So it’s not about playing the game you want but about playing a game  that you both will have fun playing first and foremost. And secondly both have a good chance winning. 

To give to concrete examples: 

1. You can still use points to balance it if you want to. In both narrative and open it’s your game so you decide. So when a mate started collecting he kept buying new toys and ended up with a lot doomwheels, a screaming bell a lot of rat ogres etc. So when we played we decided it was an elite clan vs a lower clan. So we calculated how many points he had and I used my collection to match him roughly only using clan rats, gutter runners giant rats etc. So we removed all the list building distractions because fun and actually playing with your stuff came first. 

2. With four players we started a map campaign last year and we used points for the starting army but by claiming points on the map you can add to your army. So capturing a forest allows you to add a war machine. A trading post to swap -/+ 150 points in your list. So the narrative of the game map decides your army.

or course matched is still very viable and might even be what you prefer but a lot of ‘sane’ people still enjoy the other ways of play ;) 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

When I couldn't justify buying GW prices, I've been happy with games with free rules and 1/72 scale models. I'm happy to accept that your local group (or yourself!) may feel differently.

I did this as well.  I did WW2 and Greeks vs Persians.  So cheap and great gaming.  People often don't value free rules so the ones that people like enough to talk about and play are usually quite good.  It's the same for the AoS fan content.  I find I don't have to watch every little project.  The stuff that's truly worth paying attention to will get mentioned and talked about in podcasts, on blogs, in forum posts and so on.

I know GW has lots going on in terms of their development schedule, but hopefully more armies get the Legends treatment.  I had totally forgotten about some of those dark elf models.  Maybe it'll help some people rediscover some cool models and realise the stuff going for really cheap in the secondary market might be worth paying attention to.

• Like 1

I do both.  The sculpting style of Age of Sigmar stuff keeps me coming back though.  Nice deep details and animated proportions and I find I keep choosing warhammer stuff over historicals in the same plastic.  That said, I am going to be starting an all metal historical project shortly.  It'll still be cheaper than the same number of warhammer miniatures!

• Like 1

We've all seen examples of That Guy giving new players hassle because their army isn't optimised or beautifully painted. They're the reason the scene in some places is toxic, not money or style of play. As a matter of fact, narrative is far cheaper than competitive, especially in the long run, since you only have to buy models you want rather than adjusting your lists to a constantly shifting meta. I can quite happily play a game with minis I brought for 3rd/4th edition WFB and have a great time doing it. It's helped by the fact that the people I'm playing are friends or at least have basic social skills. We want everyone to have a good time because that's how you grow a community and get more people to play with.

I really don't want to paint this as a matched play issue. Narrative has its share of ***hat hobbyists as well. There are people who will try to tell you at length that your army/background/favourite BL novel sucks because it doesn't match up to their headcannon. Others will give players hassle for using proxies or unpainted minis when they're starting out. 

Perhaps, if some people in your local scene didn't take the attitudes you're describing towards new, casual and narrative players, you'd have far more people playing right now.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 11:08 PM, Infernalslayer said:

Anyones knows if there are any fan-made point value tables made for the Warhammer Legends pdfs? 

I searched google but couldn't find anything.

@Infernalslayer Most of the legends stuff has points in the compendium lists in the original GHB. Worth picking up as it has a lot of the original names characters and units in there and should other models be moved over to legends status then they will already be in there. Always good as it will be the only source of Bretonnians and tomb king points. Should be easy enough to find a copy, as a common misconception is that the book is now useless so people will let it go for cheap.

@RexHavoc Thanks, i have a physical copy of the first general's handbook. I plan to update Gorthor the Beastlord's warcsroll with the current keywords to use him in casual games with friends

I was mostly wondering about some characters that received significant changes or improvements to their warscroll in the Legends pdf compared to the first Compendium pdfs and would require different point values than the ones in GH 2016 like Malekith and other named characters.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The interesting thing is with all of the added tools for open and narrative play in the GHB19 playing games in the world that was is much more easier and viable now, especially as you can take the old heroes in the warhammer legends pdf to get your warscrolls for old heroes/units and using things like the open war army generator.