Best monster hunters?

AmonRa

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, Thanatos Ares said:

anything from battletome: bonesplittaz

(hehe sorry i couldn't resist)

Beat me to it!! :P 

As @Nico said, Protectors are good against Monsters for sure, but Retributors + Starsoul Maces still do a very solid job to be honest.

If you can deal with them at range to chip a few wounds and drop them down a tier or two before finishing up combat, I'd recommend that. If you're talking Chaos Monsters, then Judicators do a super solid job of this.

In general though, Order has some tasty ranged options with the aforementioned Bastiladon, the new Kurnoth Hunters, even some of the Freeguild and Dispossessed small arms fire is legit and of course (whilst you can no longer yell "10 from the back!") cannons!

As noted elsewhere, a C.A. BattleMage casting Wildform on Protectors once they get into combat is nice for the D6 damage.

I also like IronDrakes'  Ironwarden's TrollHammer Torpedo is nasty, even if you can't run their unit in lil' 5-dwarf fireteams anymore, but at least you can still have a Runelord pray for another Rend -1 for them!

Wildwood Rangers are def. worth their points vs Monsters!

• 5 months later...

I have killed most monster with wildwood rangers

Especially if you throw  few buffs and synergy. Their way. They have 2 attacks 2" range -1 rend and most importantly each attack turns to d3 damage against monsters.

These along with a glade guard bodmin strike will wipe.out anything

• 2 weeks later...

MW is still the most reliable way, cause the toughest monsters usually got almost immune to normal wound.

Imagine a Treeman Elder with 3+ save, +1 save trait, immune to -1 rend and reroll save of 1. Protectors only have 1/36 chance to get through the save. No matter how beautiful your damage is it just won't work. 

For those monsters with 4+ save, i don't really consider them as problem at all. Even a few units of Librators can kill this 'monster' in one or two turns. i saw once two Librator Prime knocked 10 wounds out of an Fyreslayer lizard in one turn . 

I think the unforged gets a bad rap. You just have to use him right. Give him the relic blade, then he hides, with a runelord, behind a unit of longbeards. The plan is that the longbeards get charged and survive. Then runelord provides an extra rend to Unforged. He charges in and is selected to attack first. 6 attacks, 3+ to hit rerolling 1s, 2+ to wound rerolling 1s, with -2 rend. If it is a chaos monster then it would be 4 damage per attack and quite reasonable to expect just him to do up to 24 wounds in a single round of combat.

He probably isnt "the all around best" and definitely only really useful against chaos, but still better than people give him credit for. (Keep in mind that as a "dispossessed" model he technically has access to infinite rend depending on how many runelords you want to take).

4 hours ago, Aeonotakist said:

MW is still the most reliable way, cause the toughest monsters usually got almost immune to normal wound.

Imagine a Treeman Elder with 3+ save, +1 save trait, immune to -1 rend and reroll save of 1. Protectors only have 1/36 chance to get through the save. No matter how beautiful your damage is it just won't work. 

For those monsters with 4+ save, i don't really consider them as problem at all. Even a few units of Librators can kill this 'monster' in one or two turns. i saw once two Librator Prime knocked 10 wounds out of an Fyreslayer lizard in one turn . 

As a sylvaneth player I have to say that against HIM MW are king.. however if you can get a decent number of Rend 2 attacks you'll do damage too.

5 hours ago, Volund said:

I think the unforged gets a bad rap. You just have to use him right. Give him the relic blade, then he hides, with a runelord, behind a unit of longbeards. The plan is that the longbeards get charged and survive. Then runelord provides an extra rend to Unforged. He charges in and is selected to attack first. 6 attacks, 3+ to hit rerolling 1s, 2+ to wound rerolling 1s, with -2 rend. If it is a chaos monster then it would be 4 damage per attack and quite reasonable to expect just him to do up to 24 wounds in a single round of combat.

He probably isnt "the all around best" and definitely only really useful against chaos, but still better than people give him credit for. (Keep in mind that as a "dispossessed" model he technically has access to infinite rend depending on how many runelords you want to take).

If we are talking about a faceoff with no other outside complications then for its cost the Unforged (anf regular slayers as well) can do all kinds of damage to a monster. it really all comes down to getting the guy there. Ive always felt that the slayers needed a little something to represent their toughness such as a "save after save" ability.

My personal vote is still for wyldwood rangers though. Versatile enough to be generally useful. But insane once you get to grips with a monster.

16 hours ago, Aezeal said:

As a sylvaneth player I have to say that against HIM MW are king.. however if you can get a decent number of Rend 2 attacks you'll do damage too.

You will find a lot of fictions doesn't even have -2 rend if not consider artifacts... Like SE is just one.

war machine like cannons can do a number on monsters while being also good at killing units.

But unless a monster has the 1/2 wound rule 30 dispossessed quarrelers with 2 or 3 rune lords can probably kill a monster in 1 go. 60 shots hitting on 4 and wounds on 4 (no buffs) your looking at 15 wounds with some rend 2 or 3 from the rune lords will kill a monster in 1 go.

Archived