Need help - Tree-Revenants

Nixon

I need some advice on how to finish my Tree-Revenants. 

They are very close to being done, but they do seem a bit unfinished. 

Im planning on giving the hair a few more highlights to make it stand out. 

But still, the models seems a bit off somehow, maybe its the lack of contrast? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

20160715_090148.jpg

Very nice.  As I see it, the issue is that the contrast between the light blue of the skin and the dark brown of the wood is too strong and as a result, it looks like 2 separate pieces rather than 1 unified being.  There are a couple ways to fix this.  Bring some cool grey/blue tones into the highlights on the legs and the clawed hands, or bring some of the darker browns into the wood up above their heads (especially over the right shoulder).  Another option would be to use Lahmia Medium to thin some of the brown you used on the legs and build a little transition zone on the lower abdomen of the elf-like spirit part and the wood. 

However, that said, these really are very nice paintjobs. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the force!

I agree with pez5967 - additionally, perhaps you might try

• some washes to provide contrast to all the nooks and crannies and bring out details. The issue with washes, however, is that you may need to go over the lighter spots again to regain your highlights. 
  • dry brushing to get even more texture
  • consider accentuating some of the shadowed areas with a bit darker colors

I am also looking forward to seeing what you decide to do next!

I'd suggest a wash with Nuln oil to build up the definition, particularly on the spirit section, it'll build up the definition and provide that depth (see the image below for an idea of what it looks like)

IMG_20160123_185347.jpg

On 7/18/2016 at 5:24 PM, Lucio said:

I'd suggest a wash with Nuln oil to build up the definition, particularly on the spirit section, it'll build up the definition and provide that depth (see the image below for an idea of what it looks like)

I'd advise to use a thinned (with medium, ~1:3) Coelia Greenshade instead of nuln oil.   

OP, They're looking good!
Although I like the weapons being in the "spirit", your color choices and implementation in yours look great.  
The only thing I can see from this photo that you missed are the gems in some of the gold trinkets.  

On July 15, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Ansuz said:

You could try to paint the runes and the eyes in a contrasting color.

I would add a bit of a green wash to the runes and eye recesses to add a bit more depth.  Bringing the hair up to white on the highlights will help as well.

These are looking really great though!  I'm looking forward to building mine up and painting them.

Archived