Competitive - Without a complete collection

Mr. White

Hey all,

I've enjoyed this game tremendously, but have only been playing in a casual environment. Also, I don't really feel compelled to buy every warband as there are some I'm not that too into.

My question is, if I have 4-5 of the warbands, would I have enough card variety to possibly be competitive if I entered a tourney. Now, I know a lot of it has to do with deck composition and positioning tactics, and clearly those players with every warband in their collection will have a wider range of cards to pull from. That said, with this game running on relatively small card count decks, one card per deck, and not all cards used in a game...it feels like one could be competitive with only the cards available from a handful of warband expansions. Is that feeling correct?

Absolutely yes. Having all 8 warbands will give you and edge, but perfecting your game, knowing positioning, deployment, etc doesn't suddenly become optional. A player who knows how to choose / place / move around will always prevail vs the guy who doesn't but has bought 2 or 3 more warbands.

Having said that, this is truer for some warbands. E.g. Reavers can't go anywhere with their cards only. Orcs, guard or Magore are more 'self contained' in terms of competitiveness of their base decks.

I have the base SCE and Reavers, Orruks, Guard and we might get the farstriders and Magore. Those 5-6 will probably be the extent of 'series 1' for me.

I'm trying to stick with factions that also contribute models to my AoS factions.

I was just thinking about this myself. I think there's enough good cards in the pool now, that you can build a pretty competitive deck without owning every expansion.  The first couple packs you snag after the core set can really boost power, but returns begin to diminish with later boxes.  As an example the Farstriders deck I've been running only uses cards from 4 expansions and the core set.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to build a proper deck with just the starter alone. I got the duel set starter box, as a mistaked present, so can't return it to the store.  And if not then which starters would I need to buy to play?

also are proxies legal in shadespire, and failing that is there a way to get the needed cards without the models? Am only started to play khorn blood blades, and am not interested in buying orc or stormcast models, as those are practicly impossible to resell localy.

1 hour ago, Karol said:

Is it possible to build a proper deck with just the starter alone. I got the duel set starter box, as a mistaked present, so can't return it to the store.  And if not then which starters would I need to buy to play?

also are proxies legal in shadespire, and failing that is there a way to get the needed cards without the models? Am only started to play khorn blood blades, and am not interested in buying orc or stormcast models, as those are practicly impossible to resell localy.

Yes, the core box does indeed include all you need for two players, including two proper and complete decks for those warbands. Withoutany additional expansions though, you wont have a lot of options for your decks, but those two decks work pretty well and balanced against eachother from my experience.

It really is a superb core box and great for two casual players to enjoy! But also, the expansion sets are not expensive and does give a lot more options and variety!

My advice would be to play the game a few times with the core box content, and if you enjoy it and feel you want more variety to it, buy the expansion/expansions with the warband you find the most interesting.

I dont know if there is a market for the cards alone.

Sorry my english is not very good. What does" good versus each" other mean? And the expension sets seem to be super expensive to me, they cost as much as a box of 10 dudes, and give 3-5 models, I can't use and can't sell, because of someone is interested in another faction he already bought the expansion.

I generally don't like board games and I burned myself hard on MtG, the problem is my parents bought shadespire for me as present, and it took my birthday and confirmation present slot, so I do want to use it for something constructive.

6 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

It really is a superb core box and great for two casual players to enjoy!

Casual is something like draft or something? Wouldn't you need at least 6-8 people to make a normal game night, because if any of the two decks is better then the other, it would become unfun really fast.

8 minutes ago, Karol said:

Sorry my english is not very good. What does" good versus each" other mean? And the expension sets seem to be super expensive to me, they cost as much as a box of 10 dudes, and give 3-5 models, I can't use and can't sell, because of someone is interested in another faction he already bought the expansion.

I generally don't like board games and I burned myself hard on MtG, the problem is my parents bought shadespire for me as present, and it took my birthday and confirmation present slot, so I do want to use it for something constructive.

Casual is something like draft or something? Wouldn't you need at least 6-8 people to make a normal game night, because if any of the two decks is better then the other, it would become unfun really fast.

With "good versus each other" I mean that none of the two decks in the core box are better then the other.

"Casual" means that you play with friends for fun, not competitive or in tournaments.

I dont know what you mean with a normal game night. But you cannot play Shadespire with more then 4 players, its mainly a two-player game but with optional rules for more, every player will need their own warband/deck and every player also need at least one playboard. 

Shadespire is a great little game on its own, if you buy nothing more for it you still have a fun and fast tactical game that you can play with a friend whenever possible. But if you want to compete, you will need to buy at least a few expansions.

You can probably sell the models  on ebay or similar, they can be used in Age of Sigmar and im sure someone would love to buy them. But on the other hand, if you ARE going to play competitively you should  keep the models as you may want to play another warband sooner or later and I doubt proxies are allowed in competitions.

I hope I made this clear enough, english is not my main language either :) 

So the starter decks without all the other expensions are bad? I wish my parents asked me, when they were buying stuff. The problem with stormcasts is that no one wants to buy 3 models here, plus all the stormcast players already have finished armies. I guess I will try to use the reavers for something in my khorn army, but 4 models is bad too. Would any of the two starter decks be made valid with just one expension? Lets say I would buy the other khorn one, would it give me a normal deck then, or are multiple starters needed?

36 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

"Casual" means that you play with friends for fun, not competitive or in tournaments. 

LoL I guess people here don't play casual then. Even if someone plays a game not in a tournament, the list is the same, no matter if you play vs a friend and want him to have fun, or you play vs someone who isn't your friend.

6 hours ago, Karol said:

So the starter decks without all the other expensions are bad? I wish my parents asked me, when they were buying stuff. The problem with stormcasts is that no one wants to buy 3 models here, plus all the stormcast players already have finished armies. I guess I will try to use the reavers for something in my khorn army, but 4 models is bad too. Would any of the two starter decks be made valid with just one expension? Lets say I would buy the other khorn one, would it give me a normal deck then, or are multiple starters needed?

LoL I guess people here don't play casual then. Even if someone plays a game not in a tournament, the list is the same, no matter if you play vs a friend and want him to have fun, or you play vs someone who isn't your friend.

No, the starter decks arent bad, you can go up against any deck and win if you play well and have a bit of luck, but of course someone with all expansions will have better options to maximise and perfect their decks. As with any competitive living/collector game. You CAN compete with the starter decks, but dont expect to win much against players who has all the options, no game/sport/competition works that way.

Every warband in Shadespire is also a completely new unit with its own warscroll in AoS.

For Stormcast, the 3 models make up the "Steelheart's Champions" unit.

For Khorne, the 5 reaver models make up the "Garrek's Reavers" unit.

Selling the models you dont want shouldnt be much of a problem, if your willing to do it online. But shadespire is a fun game, you should try it out before you make up your mind, you might be surprised.

What expansion to buy I cant answer since I dont have the experience to say.

I dont think there is more I can help you with here, you seem kind of disappointed having gotten Shadespire but im trying to tell you that you shouldnt be. Its a great game on its own, its a great relatively cheap competitive game, and all the models are also usable in Age of Sigmar. I dont really know what else to say.

Honestly, I'd say go friendly casual and only buy the starter box and warbands you specifically like... It's still a great game.
Or go all in and get everything if you want to play competitive.

No matter which warband and playstyle you choose, there's important cards sprinkled out in every expansion.

Want to play objectives? Keys, tactical supremecy etc. are spread out.
Want to try the Katophrane deck? Literally one card in each expansion.

All that being said. The expansions aren't exactly expensive for the value you get.
Get a new one each month until you have them all.
You'll have all the options and all the fun!

Im looking at the decklists at the "Warhammer Underworlds" website and if your only gonna get one expansion, the Sepulchral Guard and the Ironjaws are both featured in every deck. So one of those would be my suggestion if youre only getting one.

But again, play with the starter decks a few times first, they are competitive enough to enjoy the game and see how you like it.

4 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

Get a new one each month until you have them all.

If I buy a box of shadespire, every second month, I won't be able to buy a box of stuff for my blades of khorn. Which means, to me they cost a lot. And if a good deck requires all or most expansions, it would push my army by months, maybe even a year, and that is assuming no new decks come out, that I would need to keep up with the meta, which am assuming is not going to be the case.

Selling the models you dont want shouldnt be much of a problem, if your willing to do it online. But shadespire is a fun game, you should try it out before you make up your mind, you might be surprised.

That is my main problem. No one pays orcs here, aside for vetarans from WFB times and those don't want to have anything to do with AoS stuff. No is going to buy 5 skeletons at the prize of the starter, when they can buy 20 recast  skeletons for the same prize. The sigmar ones have 3 dudes in each, and the raptors are 5 man minimum, and no one wants to buy any liberators, so the starter and expansion for them are dead. No idea about the slyers, from what I have seen they are all about 100+models huge armies in AoS, so again small chance someone will want to buy them. In an elite army someone may want to have different models, but if you need that many, you just want them as cheap as possible.

But again does anyone know which or how many of the expansions are needed to play a good reaver deck, or the stormcast I guess? And which one would be cheaper?

3 hours ago, Attackmack said:

Im looking at the decklists at the "Warhammer Underworlds" website and if your only gonna get one expansion, the Sepulchral Guard and the Ironjaws are both featured in every deck. So one of those would be my suggestion if youre only getting one.

The thing is, I got the two player set, if that is bad, what am I suppose to do. Is there a way to make the stuff cheaper, or something like chinesse MtG cards? Because 5 expansion boxs is the cost of half of my blades of khorn army.

1 hour ago, Karol said:

If I buy a box of shadespire, every second month, I won't be able to buy a box of stuff for my blades of khorn. Which means, to me they cost a lot. And if a good deck requires all or most expansions, it would push my army by months, maybe even a year, and that is assuming no new decks come out, that I would need to keep up with the meta, which am assuming is not going to be the case.

That is my main problem. No one pays orcs here, aside for vetarans from WFB times and those don't want to have anything to do with AoS stuff. No is going to buy 5 skeletons at the prize of the starter, when they can buy 20 recast  skeletons for the same prize. The sigmar ones have 3 dudes in each, and the raptors are 5 man minimum, and no one wants to buy any liberators, so the starter and expansion for them are dead. No idea about the slyers, from what I have seen they are all about 100+models huge armies in AoS, so again small chance someone will want to buy them. In an elite army someone may want to have different models, but if you need that many, you just want them as cheap as possible.

But again does anyone know which or how many of the expansions are needed to play a good reaver deck, or the stormcast I guess? And which one would be cheaper?

The thing is, I got the two player set, if that is bad, what am I suppose to do. Is there a way to make the stuff cheaper, or something like chinesse MtG cards? Because 5 expansion boxs is the cost of half of my blades of khorn army.

First. I dont think anyone here will help you find illegal copies of the game components. I dont know where you live, or how much money you have to spend, but from my view the Shadespire stuff is very good value to begin with.

Secondly, The two player starter decks are NOT BAD. Ive said it several times, they work and are proper competitive decks. You can play with them and win with them, if you learn them well you can be really good with them. But it should be pretty obvious that if you go into a deckbuilding game that if you do not have all the cards you will be disadvantaged. It doesnt mean you will have a bad deck, or cant win, but you will have a harder time then someone who has everything.

Third. Now im gonna speak about something I dont know a lot about so take it with a grain of salt, but I dont think there is any one single expansion that comes with better cards then the others. Anyone of them will give you many various ways to expand and improve your deck, on both defense and offense. Then again, it depends on what playstyle you have, and since you havent even tried the game yet there is no way for you, or us, to know how you want to play the game. For example, some expansions may include more cards that help you take and hold objectives, while others may include more cards to help you kill the enemy fighters.

So I again repeat my advice to you in this matter, play with the starter set decks and see if you even enjoy the game, if you do you will do good with them when you learn them. And at that point, you will know what playstyle you prefer and it will be much easier to find suitable expansions.

To be honest though, it sounds to me like youve already decided that you wont be satisfied with Shadespire so maybe its just not a game for you. And if the cost of the expansions is a hinderance for you at the same time, then perhaps you should just try and sell the entire two player box for a slightly reduced price and hope to save some money there.

Im not sure if its the language barrier or if Im being unclear to you, but I dont think I can help anymore in this matter. Its a shame if you dont give it a try though, ive said it before and say it again, Shadespire is a great game! A gem, coming from a company whose games are usually hit or miss, this is a perfect hit.

I think it is a language barrier, because am not wraping my head around how something can be good, but bad vs normal decks. I tried asking if the people that play shadespire here want to buy my stuff, but all of them already have the cards, and no one wants the models. That is why I was thinking how to make the starter set work, but everyone at the store more or less told me to buy all the expansion sets and I neither can afford it, nor was fully trusting them what they say.

I wondered if the starter set can be made playable with one expansion, but from the deck lists I saw, GW went all FF with decks needing 1-2 cards from almost every starter set.  I wasn't trying to make anyone angry, I just tried to think of a way of making the stuff work, as this is my GW hobby stuff for the whole summer. I don't know the game, and I couldn't fully trust the people at my store. And yes I am probablly a bit jaded with how the game is structured. I wouldn't have minded buying some expansion set or mixing up the stormcast and raver stuff to make one good deck, as I don't have a person to play at home anyway, but 4-6 sets to make one deck, which may end up being nerfed by new sets or a faq is a bit too much for my budget.

Archived