The Painting Contract - May 2018

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, valenswift said:

The beginning of my Nautilar Enclave, bases aren't finished as I'm looking to do some water effects. Lotann has been painted in his customary Ionrach armour ?

IMG-2673.JPG

IMG-2675.JPG

IMG-2676.JPG

The bone armour looks amazing! Well done! 

More progress. I ordered 40 scuttlings! I won’t add them to this month as they are scuttling around the world to converge here later this month. Idea is 4 groups with a boss grot on a giant spider with 5 spiderfangs plus 10 scuttlings backing them up.  I cheated with the giant spiders as they are a substitute to fit budgets at the moment and the bosses are scalped wolfriders which are a bit bigger than the spiderfang riders. I’ll grab 2 more giant spiders  and rinse and repeat for the other 2 groups. Would love the arachnarochs for the battalion but will have to wait for the money tree to sprout. I emailed GW  about adding the scuttlings to the spiderfangs as they are part arachnid anyways and would fit in nicely to there army. Although not official, I will have them included. The legs of the wolfriders will require some mad doc surgery to fit ?

img_2072.jpg

Well...three months and I've finally finished a measly 5 blood warriors... Submitting into evidence below a couple of pictures. 

Any tips for speeding up painting? Two things coats for the base layers seems to take the bulk of the time... Nothing seems to give good coverage on top of black undercoat without several layers...

Goal for the rest of May is assemble 3 Vanguard Paladors and a Stonehorn. Stretch will be to paint Mighty Lord of Khorne.

IMG_20180513_131915.jpg

IMG_20180513_131849.jpg

IMG_20180513_131810.jpg

IMG_20180513_131647.jpg

Moving on today with more layers on the Drakespawn. Whilst waiting for it to dry before a green glaze, I did Malus' face. Reminder for myself: DO EYES FIRST! So much easier! 

IMG_20180513_173327389.jpg.85586339f51151168e44252f779d627e.jpg

And Malus:

pixlr_20180513173747219.jpg.1e3c46095389be22724a8d3a8694ced9.jpg

Malus is just a Dreadknight for matched play, but of course I can field him alone in Legends. Armour to complete here. 

Still the brown and bone bits of the Drakespawn, the armour, leather and eyes following some green glaze and a final very light highlight. 

13 hours ago, cannymalavera said:

Any tips for speeding up painting? Two things coats for the base layers seems to take the bulk of the time... Nothing seems to give good coverage on top of black undercoat without several layers...

Yeah, blacks a challenge.

I use the Citadel/GW base/foundation paints, the standard layer paints don’t have as good coverage and as much pigment (other brands may have better or alternate colors.). Thin them down very minimally when trying to move from black to an alternate base (lighter) color.. I find that using a very little Lhamian medium instead of water is good if you’re thining it. You may still need two layers... but transitioning to an alternate lighter basecoat is good. (I’m almost doing a heavy overbrush .. which is like drybrushing but with more paint.) For my Gaunt Summoner with light colors, I went to paint the entire model in Mechanicus Standard Grey as an intermediate color before moving to blues. I actually have a larger base brush to put this layer down as this doesn’t require any level of finesse ... just that it doesn’t end up thick and block out detail.

Next, Work in batches, assembly line style. Make sure they all have a matching color scheme (or that you can align them.) In this case as an example, I’m doing the Shadespire Magore’s Fiends (3 Blood Warriors + fleshhound). But there are only 4 minis in the group. Bronze/gold and a base red. (Typical Khorne Bloodbound colors.)

I know that it takes a 20-30 minute cycle to have shades dry, so I added in both a Khorgorath and a Bloodsecrator to make sure that any shades applied would have time to dry by the end of a single color pass. (Which typically takes me ~20-30 min.) And get me to the 20-30 min timeframe for my longer colors. (planning for ~4-6 min a model per color step.) 

Start with a single color, and then do all of the models in that color. 

Models get put in a line and moved from the front of the line to the back of the line as they’re completed.

For my models, I’m using the September 2016 White Dwarf guide on how to paint a Bloodbound Slaughterpriest (that came free with the issue.)  It starts with the gold/bronze rather than the typical “innermost” later. (Which would normally be the skin, layered up with the red armor and the finalizing with the gold/bronze trim and weapons leather etc.)  You’re moving along a color chain (base to hilights) for a single detail type. (e.g. Gold trim, red armor, skin, leather, bone etc.) 

Once the first color step for one detail type is done on all models move to  to the next color step along the color chain until you’re done with that color and hilights sequence for that detail type. Then move onto the next group. (Gold then red, then skin then leather, then bone and finally silver metal)

By handling the amazingly fiddly bits of the gold trim with a combination of rough basecoating and then dry brushing on hilights that dealt with the most fiddly part ... the gold/bronze trim I’m not having to deal with painting that at the end ... It’s then just using a slightly finer brush to handle areas when I’m painting up against the pre-completed trim.

The major key for me is a combination of color sequencing and determining how I need to handle the layers.

In general the Citadel (Painting) App is great for the color sequence part for layering... then I just need to figure out which layers to do in which order.

So the 20 spiderfangs are done. Amending the contract to add the 2 big bosses and will add at least 1 more and if I can get my paint smeared hands on a 4th I’ll add that too. Scuttlings are converging so I will add as many as I can as they arrive at their new home. 

img_2099.jpgimg_2100.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Part one of my pledge complete after a tore myself away from Shadespire Orruks! 3 Hurricane Raptors complete, 3 Longstrikes to go.

808827753_Raptors14_05_184.jpg.9b4b035dc49bab98b946c99806fac5b8.jpg

1493625128_Raptors14_05_181.jpg.3c9395fde0ea833d51560f65700ab2cc.jpg

2136108331_Raptors14_05_182.jpg.8249f68e0b05200470816d85b72e5523.jpg

866567487_Raptors14_05_183.jpg.ed9bf6769ff3090eaeddc57a55387eba.jpg

You must be very pleased, I know I would be. They look great. Really like the green on them, contrasts well with the armour.

Managed to grab the last 2 (!) spiders for the big bosses. Tried to spice up something different with a shiny black and white random streaks using a syringe. I have to ask myself - what was I thinking? 

Picture cow spiders if you will. Not terrifying and a total disaster ?

We will never speak of this again. On to some new colours. Hopefully tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Interesting ... what are you running it as? (He does rather remind me of Skeletor from the He-man series...)

Hi! I use him as Arkhan. He's missing his mount, but fluffwise, i imagined his armor to be alive and attacking his enemies. I was inspired mostly by the Horned King from the Black Cauldron, but skeletor is another indirect inspiration. Originaly this model had the wight king head, but it was a bit small for the body so I had to change it.

Archived