Gaming Mats - uk and Europe

I looked into making your own, you can make them for pretty cheap on Ali Express if you just send a design in. You can also purchase designs on some websites for around 8USD, then the cost of getting just one made is about 25USD. Much cheaper than spending out 50quid. If you can be bothered that is. I will get around to making some of my own one day just for the fun of it, but it wont be for a while.

Having said all that, my current favorite are Gamematz but they are US based and it costs too much to ship here. So I'd echo the other guys - Frontline's  F.A.T Mats (but the EU store is sold out of the Urban combat mat and has a pretty poor selection of the other ones compared to the US store) and gamemat.eu (some of which even look like they were designed with AOS in mind) and Deepcut studio. You can get the deepcut ones on Wayland games' website at a slight discount.

Micro Art Studio just started a range too,  2 out so far, worth looking at.

I ordered the "Alien" 6x4 mousemat from Deepcut, I'll let you know if it's any good when it arrives.

As for printing, I know it can be done by some Chinese traders, but the time and effort I'd put into making the texture (considering my OCD will trigger and I'll spend a lot of time perfecting it)  will cost me more than the difference. Also this will surely go to the customs, and where I live that's not good :D

If anyone plans to try it - it doesn't really work with seamless textures , the result hurts the eyes at the end (I tied that on vinyl mats printed locally).

55 minutes ago, BoardGames said:

I ordered the "Alien" 6x4 mousemat from Deepcut, I'll let you know if it's any good when it arrives.

As for printing, I know it can be done by some Chinese traders, but the time and effort I'd put into making the texture (considering my OCD will trigger and I'll spend a lot of time perfecting it)  will cost me more than the difference. Also this will surely go to the customs, and where I live that's not good :D

If anyone plans to try it - it doesn't really work with seamless textures , the result hurts the eyes at the end (I tied that on vinyl mats printed locally).

is that why they are always so 'cloned' looking? what do you mean by seamless textures?

Yes, it's very easy to do it this way, but it's 'cloned' textures repeated in every direction, hence the uglyness :)

Try a search in google for 'seamless texture', they are made to make endless pattern that doesn't show any edges.

Better art is possible but takes some work and searching for graphic resources (given you don't care about copyright, but even then finding a top-down view of trees and what not is not that easy). Paying a designer for that size... Probably 400-500 euro for something half good and I may be off with hundreds. Paying an artist to paint it from scrath will be really expensive.

11 hours ago, BoardGames said:

Yes, it's very easy to do it this way, but it's 'cloned' textures repeated in every direction, hence the uglyness :)

Try a search in google for 'seamless texture', they are made to make endless pattern that doesn't show any edges.

Better art is possible but takes some work and searching for graphic resources (given you don't care about copyright, but even then finding a top-down view of trees and what not is not that easy). Paying a designer for that size... Probably 400-500 euro for something half good and I may be off with hundreds. Paying an artist to paint it from scrath will be really expensive.

I can make my own, I am a digital artist, I just don't have the time. The last big personal project I did I spent about 1000hrs on over 6 months and took a lot out of me. I'm not sure why a seamless texture doesn't work, I'll look into it some more.

Archived