Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

I am pretty new to AoS but been in 40k for a while.  I wanted to share my recent work with you guys.

I know it is pretty bad but it is what I can do with my old man eyes and these hams at the end of my arms.  It took me forever to just add the eyes I don't know how you guys can do it.

Hope you like them.

heartrender2.jpg

heartrender.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are good, I like your colour choices and you've got some nice neat detailing on the buckler/shield thing, are you sticking with grey for the skin?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great effort! 

One tip I was given many moons ago by a GW employee is to paint the stones. It means they look less like little human stones, and more like the scale that you want them to represent. 

Another quick win, though this may be the photo, is to use some washes on areas like the red to fill in the darker details.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the eyes front: I do it like 3-4 times before I'm happy with it and even then it's usually terrible. I noticed that a lot of minis tend to just have their eyes as black / shaded though.

2 hours ago, syph0n said:

Great effort! 

One tip I was given many moons ago by a GW employee is to paint the stones. It means they look less like little human stones, and more like the scale that you want them to represent. 

Another quick win, though this may be the photo, is to use some washes on areas like the red to fill in the darker details.

What this dude said.

Use sand and put watered down PVA glue over it. Then paint it whatever colour you want. Gets you a real solid win at that scale.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Orsino said:

These are good, I like your colour choices and you've got some nice neat detailing on the buckler/shield thing, are you sticking with grey for the skin?

yea. I like the drow look.  It was either this or a blueish grey and I feel the grey did the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MachinaMandala said:

On the eyes front: I do it like 3-4 times before I'm happy with it and even then it's usually terrible. I noticed that a lot of minis tend to just have their eyes as black / shaded though.

What this dude said.

Use sand and put watered down PVA glue over it. Then paint it whatever colour you want. Gets you a real solid win at that scale.

I will try paining the basing out and see how it looks.

There is a wash but I never seem to find the right coverage.  it is either too little to notice or to much and it pools. I will try another layer to see if it help out with the details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's worth experimenting with different shades. I always, always used to use blue wash to wash my Ultramarines (back in 1995!) but learnt over the years that black or mixed can be more effective on certain parts of the model. I was taught back then to use the colour wash for the base shade, so red would be a red wash, but purple or black or even brown can be very effective if used properly - or even combined. It might even just be the photo!

One other tip might be to use a bit of Lahmian Medium - that I find helps the flow of the washes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, syph0n said:

Sometimes it's worth experimenting with different shades. I always, always used to use blue wash to wash my Ultramarines (back in 1995!) but learnt over the years that black or mixed can be more effective on certain parts of the model. I was taught back then to use the colour wash for the base shade, so red would be a red wash, but purple or black or even brown can be very effective if used properly - or even combined. It might even just be the photo!

One other tip might be to use a bit of Lahmian Medium - that I find helps the flow of the washes.

This. Using a wash that is the colour of one of the layer's component colours can have a big effect. Washing red with purple will make it cooler as you're adding blue tones. Recess washed red on earthy greens makes for good swathy orruk skin. I recess shade my emerald/jade armour with blue, as it makes it much darker than a standard green. Experiment!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...