What is the usefulness of Garrek's Reavers / Magore's Fiends in Matched Play?

MachinaMandala

I'm just curious as to what everyone feels the usefulness of these units is in matched play. To me, they seem massively overpriced for what they actually provide.

Here are their warscrolls:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/aos-warscroll-garreks-reavers-en.pdf

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//aos-warscroll-magores-fiends-en.pdf

Any comments or ideas on how they could be made better?

Yes I was also struggling to see their worth in matched play. I like their fluff but the only time I would consider them would be to make use of the low points cost to get around an awkward remaining 60 points etc  similar to gryph hounds in stormcast.

My opinion on them is that they are great models to be used instead of the regular ones in Age of Sigmar. So far most of the Warbands have not been an incredible addition to Age of Sigmar as far as I know. What slightly frustrates me is that I have read somewhere that initially the plan was to have these Warbands be an add on for a particular unit. It really kind of upsets me that they didn't do this.

Garrek's Reavers added to Bloodreavers actually would make them very relevant. You could keep the unit to 20 additional Bloodreavers and have something great to work with.
Likewise Magore's Fiends added to 5 regular Blood Warriors, I believe, would have made them way more relevant also. 

Now these units instead of adding synergy compete with others of the same cost, which means it's extremely hard to justify their inclusion. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, Killax said:

My opinion on them is that they are great models to be used instead of the regular ones in Age of Sigmar. So far most of the Warbands have not been an incredible addition to Age of Sigmar as far as I know. What slightly frustrates me is that I have read somewhere that initially the plan was to have these Warbands be an add on for a particular unit. It really kind of upsets me that they didn't do this.

Garrek's Reavers added to Bloodreavers actually would make them very relevant. You could keep the unit to 20 additional Bloodreavers and have something great to work with.
Likewise Magore's Fiends added to 5 regular Blood Warriors, I believe, would have made them way more relevant also. 

Now these units instead of adding synergy compete with others of the same cost, which means it's extremely hard to justify their inclusion. 

Agreed! Missed potential, the only ones I've seen used in a list to decent effect is the Ironjawz warband due to being cheap objective holders

1 hour ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Agreed! Missed potential, the only ones I've seen used in a list to decent effect is the Ironjawz warband due to being cheap objective holders

Yeah and I suppose fans of Fyreslayers and Skaven might find some use for them too because their line by comparison is also rather small.

But the issue I have with a lot of the ideas to use them for cheap Objective holders is that in all cases, cheaper Objective holders allready excist... To give an example, buddy of mine really wanted to do this with Garrek's Reavers or Magore's Fiends. This idea is cool. However when we then look at the cheap effectiveness of Marauders, who fill several roles and have the custom Mark option and are very cheap per body/output/armour and then to me it feels silly to exclude the 'cheaper and better'.

However mindsets of the game and way to play can differ, for casual games, always do however you feel like :) Things start to be different if your aim is to have a great competitive result for a particular event.

• 4 months later...

Since all my Reavers are factory-standard from the Core set, I've been using Saek as my "chief" unit since he has a Meatripper axe. Otherwise I'll throw the unit in if I have a spare 60 points in a list and don't anticipate needing extra command points.

Whoops, that's right, can't mix weapons in a unit. Ah well, still, they make good, easily-distinguishable chieftains for a bloodreaver unit.

I actually like using both of them, garrek is a cheap blood tithe point and riptooth is a really annoying model that can sit quite easily out of sight and unbind. Also magore and garrek both are very killy compared to a regular squad leader, not amazing by any stretch but they do put in a little bit of work. Mainly i like having riptooth as an extra unbinder thats annoying to deal with and has a good model.

5 hours ago, JarekTheRed said:

I actually like using both of them, garrek is a cheap blood tithe point and riptooth is a really annoying model that can sit quite easily out of sight and unbind. Also magore and garrek both are very killy compared to a regular squad leader, not amazing by any stretch but they do put in a little bit of work. Mainly i like having riptooth as an extra unbinder thats annoying to deal with and has a good model.

This.  Cheap small units to max out blood tithe.  If you are running MSU to max out blood tithe these guys are even smaller than regular MSU.  They also seem worth their points when you look at the buffs and damage output.   They work well with all the regular mortal buffs and riptooth is a great 40 point throw in if you are left with an odd number of points to burn.

Since summoning is done with the Blood Tithe points, I've experimented with leaving my BloodLetters off the table until I can summon them in. That has opened up space to add both Garrek's Reavers and Magore's Fiends with Riptooth. I hold off on using the Blood Tithe points until I can bring in 20 BloodLetters and set them loose (I don't have a BloodThirster yet). It's pretty cool getting some reinforcements late in the battle, specially if I can still buff them up with Gore Pilgrims, Aspiring Deathbringer  and Wrathmongers.

Archived