Fan Made Destruction Battletome

AthlorianStoners

So, this idea is heavily inspired by @Melcavuk and his Suneaters, so go check that out.

What with Destruction seemingly not getting releases for a while, I thought what if we make our Battletome, fleshing out dead factions and creating our own new ones. 

Imagine it as a fusion between the Legions of Nagash book and the Alleigiance abilities section of the GHB. Have warscrolls, allegiance abilities and a little bit of background and lore for the fan made factions. 

Preferably the factions have something to do with the game already, like Melcavuk expanding the Firebellies into the suneaters. 

Personally I’m thinking of expanding the Fellwater theme, a larger range of swamp troggoths and beasts. Comment your own ideas and if you’d want to be involved.

2 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Personally I’m thinking of expanding the Fellwater theme, a larger range of swamp troggoths and beasts. Comment your own ideas and if you’d want to be involved.

I always thought that merging troggoths in general with the fimir would be a great way to reinvent and reinvigorate both of those factions. Would also make a great potential foe for the Ioneth deepkin. Corrupting water, making swamps and bringing a terrible mist with them wherever they go (see the fimir rules for that!). 

A few cool options could be

• A Gargant faction, though it would be a sod to rules/points
  • Ogor/Fyreslayer (lofnir lodge) thing that apparently happens. 
  • Expanded Ironjawz
  • A true Orruk Waaagh! like the Grand Hosts of Nagash
  • Evolution of the Greenskinz into the third Orruk faction
  • Expand spiderfang

I'd say the only part of destruction which doesn't need work at the moment is the Bonesplitterz, they have both the rules and the variety of models expected in an allegiance now.

Sounds good, for fellwater one of the best starting points would be for the hag to turn fellwater troggoths into battleline, I always felt that was a missed opportunity to integrate a fantastic looking model better into peoples armies. If you're looking at it like a legions of nagash style book you avenue that could be explored is to tailor each set of army traits to a great waagh that rampaged across the realms, that way each is a unique mix of destruction unit entries with their own named character who led the waaaagh. Either way I'd be happy to lend ideas whilst working on the Suneaters.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

A few cool options could be

• A Gargant faction, though it would be a sod to rules/points
  • Ogor/Fyreslayer (lofnir lodge) thing that apparently happens. 
  • Expanded Ironjawz
  • A true Orruk Waaagh! like the Grand Hosts of Nagash
  • Evolution of the Greenskinz into the third Orruk faction
  • Expand spiderfang

Yeah that sounds awesome! Expanded Spiderfang with modded Plaguedrones could be cool. 

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

Sounds good, for fellwater one of the best starting points would be for the hag to turn fellwater troggoths into battleline, I always felt that was a missed opportunity to integrate a fantastic looking model better into peoples armies. If you're looking at it like a legions of nagash style book you avenue that could be explored is to tailor each set of army traits to a great waagh that rampaged across the realms, that way each is a unique mix of destruction unit entries with their own named character who led the waaaagh. Either way I'd be happy to lend ideas whilst working on the Suneaters.

Yeah incorporating the Troggoth Hag into a Fellwater faction is defitnely on my list of ideas. Some others I’ve come up with: 

- Troggoth Marshwalkers: Plaguebearers modded with Grot heads and find. The lowest of the Fellwater tribes, Marshwalkers fulfill menial roles in the culture. 

-  Troggoth Swampking: Converted Glottkin, represents the alpha of the Fellwater tribes. 

- Marshwalker on Toad Dragon: Converted Horticulous on Toad Dragon. The elite of the marshwalkers. 

You could also look into other mythical beasts from a similar theme and sigmar then up slightly.

Snatchlings: Thought to be the decadent cousins of water imps these capricious winged sprites originate from stagnant murky water sources, it is thought their nature is a reflection of the foul waters that birthed them. Snatchlings prey on stray travellers in the swamps, calling out with the voices of lost children to draw would be good Samaritans further and further into the treacherous boggy marsh.

essentially making Snatchlings a native parasite to the swamp with Troggoths feasting on their victims flesh

40 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

You could also look into other mythical beasts from a similar theme and sigmar then up slightly.

Snatchlings: Thought to be the decadent cousins of water imps these capricious winged sprites originate from stagnant murky water sources, it is thought their nature is a reflection of the foul waters that birthed them. Snatchlings prey on stray travellers in the swamps, calling out with the voices of lost children to draw would be good Samaritans further and further into the treacherous boggy marsh.

essentially making Snatchlings a native parasite to the swamp with Troggoths feasting on their victims flesh

Awesome idea! Maybe spite heads on grot bodies if they’d fit.

Could look at spite revenant heads and wings on those new DoK harpies. They’ll look Aelves but with a sprite paint job would be cool. Something fast, light and utility to compliment slow abs heavy trogoths. For rules I’d give them a deployment shenanigans:

Voice from the Shadows: Sprites excel in misdirections, echoing their voices off of trees and rocks to bait their victims out of position. Once both sides have finished deploying you may remove this unit from the battlefield and set it up anywhere within your deployment zones.

and something of a hit modifier:

Assault on the senses: Malicious sprites have perfected the art of manipulating their environment, barraging their prey with scents and sounds to distract even the most vigilant. Enemy units within 6 inches of this unit subtract 1 from all to hit rolls.

Allegiance Abilities: Fellwater Kingdoms

If your army has a FELLWATER allegiance, you may benefit from the following abilities: 

Malicious Spites: The servants of the Swamp-King are surrounded by malevolent spites protecting their hosts from enemies. If a model has this ability and is within 6" of a FELLWATER HERO suffers a wound or mortal wound, roll a dice. On a 6, the wound is saved, and you may roll another dice. On a 4 +, an enemy unit within 3” suffers a mortal wound.

Twisted Minions: The corrupting influence of the Fellwater Kingdoms can twist corruptable souls. You may include 1 unit of Dryads in a Fellwater Kingdoms army. These do not cost ally points, but you must replace the Keywords ORDER and SYLVANETH with the Keywords DESTRUCTION and FELLWATER respectively. 

Designers Note: If you are using a Fellwater Kingdoms army and are making use of the Twisted Minions trait, the Dryads would ideally be painted in the same colour scheme as the rest of your army and/or have minor conversions. After all, these are no longer the benevolent tree-spirits they once were!

16 minutes ago, S133arcanite said:

Allegiance Abilities: Fellwater Kingdoms

If your army has a FELLWATER allegiance, you may benefit from the following abilities: 

Malicious Spites: The servants of the Swamp-King are surrounded by malevolent spites protecting their hosts from enemies. If a model with this ability suffers a wound or mortal wound, roll a dice. On a 6, the wound is saved, and you may roll another dice. On a 4 +, an enemy unit within 3” suffers a mortal wound.

Twisted Minions: The corrupting influence of the Fellwater Kingdoms can twist corruptable souls. You may

Ooooooft I love that haha

One thing you might want to watch for it that wound preventing ability is the bonesplitta war paint ability plus one. Or the death allegiance ability but no longer hero dependant. I’d either make it related to hero proximity or tone it down a bit 

AthlorianStoners,

Like I Said on Melcavuk thread, this is a great initiative too, and another good call on expanding the Throggoths... Count me in! Well done! 

As a sidenote, I haven't seen anyone quoting a very obvious option for this faction behemot, the Merwyrm! And since his base has a whrecked ship too, I think we could tweak the new Idoneth ship terrain rules for use with the Fellwater too... will be very thematic and coherent

Also, like Melcavuk did, a Merwyrm or Toad Dragon riding Troggoth hero would be very cool!

Cheers

AJ

9 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

One thing you might want to watch for it that wound preventing ability is the bonesplitta war paint ability plus one. Or the death allegiance ability but no longer hero dependant. I’d either make it related to hero proximity or tone it down a bit 

I think this can be OK, but certainly it is something you have to be careful of.

For example, Daughters of Khaine have a 6++ save which isn't hero dependent, which in theory is better than the Legions of Nagash one due to that. But of course, the various Legions of Nagash also get other abilities as part of their battle traits (and same do Daughters of Khaine).

So you can have battle traits/abilities/etc that are better than the other, as long as in the context of the faction they make sense.

Battletome: Gargants could easily be seen as the AoS answer to how Knights in 40K are getting a codex. Ruleswise I can see a few unit ideas and some potential allegiance rules. 

If your army has a GARGANTS allegiance, you gain the following abilities: 

Thundering Hordes: Gargants are considered battleline and can be taken in units of up to 3, and there would be a good points reduction. 

Behemat's Blessing: all units can remove a terrain piece if they deal 6 damage to it. In addition, units may throw terrain pieces on a 4+; 18" range and dealing d6 in a 6" area. 

Units: 

King Brodd

Gargant King

Gargants

Gargant Beastmaster

Half-Gargants

Greater Boar(Battleline with a Gargant Beastmaster General)

I'm not sure I'm the best for rules writing, and the  unit names are just ideas I had to flesh out the faction.  

Thoughts?

For Gargants I've done this before (there's little I havent done)

borrowing from your list add in specific battlefield roles:

Gargant King (I went with Jotun Warchief)

5ad98f541c4e6_754170_md-GiantTyrant.jpg.057038478c960b22a5c02e906b7a0782.jpg
Gargant Shaman (Jotun Ancient)

5ad98f4e27602_732547_mb-JotunnGhurShaman.JPG.29d116b0f79dc099f9b12fbd2403d3a8.JPG
Demi Gargant (smaller, runtier)

5ad98f4f7fda6_740112_md-AztartheSlaughterer.JPG.2096fbf023ef15b9e4d14aab8c48b9ef.JPG
Cyclops

5ad98f8216cc5_740110_md-GiantCyclops.JPG.69deaafbd1a2357db522841ef87ca28c.JPG
Ale Chucker (gargant wih a ranged attack)

5ad98f510a428_740113_md-EttinAlechucker.JPG.b283a11925c65f5c57863f1f8197a5cb.JPG
Stone Giant (Or elemental, or frost)

5ad98f525dd92_754168_md-StoneGiant.jpg.b2478ab3da4f86255e9cab9b2308a06d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Unironically, I think  Fishmen could work.

They could serve as a Destruction foil for the Deepkin, and be really territorial and stuff. They could also be amphibious, which would justify how they could come on land. Plus, it'd add more diversity to Destruction then just "Orruks, Goblins, Ogors, and Trolls".

Archived