Suneater Tribes Battletome WIP: Full rules Pg6

Melcavuk

OK so with the latest changes here the current revised points and units listings for the faction, will look into Pyre related summoning once the new edition hits (Fire Sprites, Raging Infernos and Elementals revelling in havoc)

SUNEATER TRIBES

UNIT SIZE

BATTLEFIELD ROLE

NOTES

UNIT

MIN

MAX

Aldin Draken

-

BATTLELINE if SUNEATER TRIBES allegiance with a VOLSUNGR ON MAGMADRAKE heral

Ashen Grots

130/240

BATTLELINE

Bal Kasta

-

Beserkr

LEADER

Gothi Fyri

LEADER

Gothi Herald on Carrion Drake

LEADER

Gullveig Ogors

120/400

BATTLELINE

Magma Drake

BEHEMOTH

Ashen Salamander and Keepers

-

BATTLELINE if SUNEATER TRIBES allegiance with a GOTHI HERALD general

Pyre Belchers

-

Slatr Warbeast

BEHEMOTH

Stone Hewn Effigy

WARMACHINE

Volcanic Idol

BEHEMOTH

Burnin’ Bomb Catapult

WARMACHINE

Volsungr on Magma Drake

LEADER, BEHEMOTH

gothi-fyri.jpg

gothi-herald-on-carrion-drake.jpg

suneater-beserkr.jpg

volsungr-on-magma-drake.jpg

ashen-grots.jpg

gullveig-ogors.jpg

slatr-warbeast.jpg

volcanic-effigy.jpg

aldin-draken.jpg

ashen-salamander-and-keepers.jpg

Bal-Kasta.jpg

burnin__0027-bomb-catapult.jpg

pyre-belcher.jpg

stone-hewn-effigy.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

OK so with the latest changes here the current revised points and units listings for the faction, will look into Pyre related summoning once the new edition hits (Fire Sprites, Raging Infernos and Elementals revelling in havoc)

SUNEATER TRIBES

UNIT SIZE

BATTLEFIELD ROLE

NOTES

UNIT

MIN

MAX

Aldin Draken

-

BATTLELINE if SUNEATER TRIBES allegiance with a VOLSUNGR ON MAGMADRAKE heral

Ashen Grots

130/240

BATTLELINE

Bal Kasta

-

Beserkr

LEADER

Gothi Fyri

LEADER

Gothi Herald on Carrion Drake

LEADER

Gullveig Ogors

120/400

BATTLELINE

Magma Drake

BEHEMOTH

Ashen Salamander and Keepers

-

BATTLELINE if SUNEATER TRIBES allegiance with a GOTHI HERALD general

Pyre Belchers

-

Slatr Warbeast

BEHEMOTH

Stone Hewn Effigy

WARMACHINE

Volcanic Idol

BEHEMOTH

Burnin’ Bomb Catapult

WARMACHINE

Volsungr on Magma Drake

LEADER, BEHEMOTH

gothi-fyri.jpg

gothi-herald-on-carrion-drake.jpg

suneater-beserkr.jpg

volsungr-on-magma-drake.jpg

ashen-grots.jpg

gullveig-ogors.jpg

slatr-warbeast.jpg

volcanic-effigy.jpg

aldin-draken.jpg

ashen-salamander-and-keepers.jpg

Bal-Kasta.jpg

burnin__0027-bomb-catapult.jpg

pyre-belcher.jpg

stone-hewn-effigy.jpg

These all seem pretty great, my question is now that the war scrolls are all written up, will we see some lore and artwork soon(ish)?

Artwork is a matter of me finding someone to produce it, I cant draw and largely can only paint miniatures not 2d art and as such its really a non starter in that regard unfortunately.

For lore is KNOW the story its the TELLING thats the issue for me, I keep leaping between narrative voices and finding one that suit the story perfectly is important to me to make it readable but also to express the emotion it should. When i wrote for my fire aelves it was a story of family, betrayal and outrage which I found the voice for quite naturally, for the Suneaters I'm still working on getting the right voice (I cant write and wont write Orkish, it'll be written properly :P)

The lore also evolves with the unit concepts, the Bal Kasta for example were originally Gullveig with guns, as the model concept got larger and more unique they are now the offspring of conquered gargants, those born of mighty warrior stock but unloved by the flame of the Suneater. They will never know the true might of the magma flows nor wield and shape the flame as the Besekr do, instead they (and their grot slaves) have fashioned their mighty armour and magma belching cannons in a crude immitation of the might that Besekrs field, that they might emulate their god even if they are unloved by him.

3 minutes ago, HiddenElephant said:

Hey, this reminds me of when i tried to expand the Firebelly concept!  Of course, I didn't do it as in-depth or as complete as you did, but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?

I've got the Google Doc right here, in case you want to look at it:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZkKyMR-yqhMop00Qb_47KCYGr3GPQYNnzuHc59a9VQ/edit?usp=sharing

Lots of similar and great ideas (must be great for being similar :P) the hints of the Suneater are a fantastic source of inspiration for army concepts, any imput you have on my interpretation would be much appreciated.

I had looked at other behemoths but tried to hammer down the migration of destruction aspect (so introduced more beasts of burden) as a constant moving flame leaving a scar on the face of the realms, after which the Magma Dragon and Volcanic idol lead me to feel I had maxed out the potential in the behemoth field without ending up too beastclaw.

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

Artwork is a matter of me finding someone to produce it, I cant draw and largely can only paint miniatures not 2d art and as such its really a non starter in that regard unfortunately.

For lore is KNOW the story its the TELLING thats the issue for me, I keep leaping between narrative voices and finding one that suit the story perfectly is important to me to make it readable but also to express the emotion it should. When i wrote for my fire aelves it was a story of family, betrayal and outrage which I found the voice for quite naturally, for the Suneaters I'm still working on getting the right voice (I cant write and wont write Orkish, it'll be written properly :P)

The lore also evolves with the unit concepts, the Bal Kasta for example were originally Gullveig with guns, as the model concept got larger and more unique they are now the offspring of conquered gargants, those born of mighty warrior stock but unloved by the flame of the Suneater. They will never know the true might of the magma flows nor wield and shape the flame as the Besekr do, instead they (and their grot slaves) have fashioned their mighty armour and magma belching cannons in a crude immitation of the might that Besekrs field, that they might emulate their god even if they are unloved by him.

The bit about the Bal Kasta is both epic and depressing, I like it.  For a Narrative voice I recalled that you had the idea of a naturalist viewing the warbeasts and other creatures, That still might work. For everything else maybe try a shaman/ oral history approach. this is of course all opinions.

Cheers guys

GW arent really in the buisness of taking pitches, bear in mind what we see of their releases is often years behind what its being conceptualised by the design team and thats not counting for the numerous ideas taken to concept stage that dont get taken any further. My aim for now is to get the army looking good enough, and playing well enough that it might one day make it into white dwarf

So having built (nearly) the model the scroll for my Volcanic Effigy has changed slightly, he's gained the hero keyword and a command ability which has bumped him to a preliminary 460 points (may change with playtesting but neither his damage output nor resilience changed so 60 seemed suitable increase).

exalted-volsungr-__002d-volcanic-effigy.jpg

So test game 2 completed today, it was much closer than the previous game but that may have been the massive table my other half selected (8x6 for roughly 2000 points is huuuuuuuuuuge) which leant her aelves mobility a huge advantage. I managed to pull out a lead in turn four and the damage dished out in the previous turns led to the game being called there (tactically there was a chance for her to pull it back but it seemed unlikely and food was on offer so it ended there. Breaking down the units in a larger scale scenario and also having had a chance to test out the new scrolls here's a quick rundown.

HEROES

Exalted Volsungr(460)
(BEHEMOTH, GENERAL)
This guy is an arrow magnet, seriously he dwarfs even the magma dragon but with neither the mortal wound output nor the ability to mystic shield himself to make up for it. Fortunately 16 wounds and a gothi priest stood so close he was hidden from view to lend so helpful healing prayers kept him in the game and between those two units tied up the centre field for the duration of the game. Lacking in ranged attacks at all and with variable movement the models main strength lays in the natural fear of something so large, he can dominate centre field purely by ensuring nobody wants a piece of him. The passive boosts to both bravery and prayers was a huge boon throughout the course of the game, he also punched a dragon to death and trampled some reavers so came close to killing his own points value.

Gothi Herald on Carrion Drake (220)
Pre game I bumped this guy from 180 to 220 in points and I dont think it was overcosted by doing so, he packs massive speed, a relatively reliable armour save and some nifty combat shenanigans whilst losing out on alot of resilience. Highlights for the model involved doing a flyby on some gryph hounds (eating one on the way past) before ploughing into the back of an Idoneth king on Deepmare and ripping them both asunder. He was fortunately to move onto the side of the table with the least ranged firepower so he avoided getting picked out of the sky though in smaller table he may well suffer.

Gothi Fyri (80)
(PRIEST)
Reliable, consistent. Every turn theyre in range of terrain that currently isnt on fire they pray for fire, and then split between healing prayer and volcanic blows (I've fielded two in each game and given the pyre abilities dependance on the priests feel this will likely be the norm going forward). The priest babysitting the giant rock dude took a charge from some reavers but was still alive and swinging at the end of the game but only barely but that comes down to poor positioning on my part and a 12 inch charge on the part of the reavers.

BATTLELINE

20 Ashen Grots (130)
Words cannot describe the joy I get when an opponents delight at 8 models fleeing to battleshock turns to fear as they are set alight by a fanatical squad leader and instead run into the enemies lines like the crazy little nuts they are. The shooting phase of arrows wounded a griffon but once again it was the burning of cowardly grots that left the steaming carcass of the griffon looking like a nicely roast chicken, admittedly the unit then got turned into a pin cushion by a squad of shadow warrior hiding in a tower but still... burning grots! Love the unit, feel they play to the fluff and its a fun little quirky thing to pull off in a game, charge a unit you cant take alive but take it out by burning to death around it.

Gullveig Ogors (120)
Slow... units of three arent that resilient. I need more ogors. To be honest between size of table and the starstrike objective these guys leapt through 3 different realm gates and capped an objective. That aside they didnt really do much but the Aelves had used terrain to their advantage and so it would of been hard to manuever a small slow unit into making a charge\

WARMACHINES

Pyre Belcher (180)
Love it, much like in battle one this unit savaged anyone who chose to walk into range, from putting some flame beneath the idoneth king to harrying some Palladors it tied down the right hand side of the board for the duration of the game and easily made back its points

Burnin’ Bomb Catapult Battery (80)
I missed.... 4 turns of shooting I missed. at only 80 points I didnt want this guy to do too much damage but a single shot hitting on 4's is really challenging to pull off much, the benefit is that for the cost of a normal cannon you can get two of these so in greater numbers it might mitigate the accuracy issues 

BEHEMOTHS

Slatr Warbeast (300)
Again he struggled, low accuracy in melee... big target, catapult only working outside of 3 inches of enemies all leant itself to him failing to pull back much in terms of points or tactical advantage. He survived two rounds of combat with a dreadlord on blackdragon before getting mauled by a bunch of a reavers in close combat. He did last through three turns of shooting from three different units but I've yet to have an "Aha" moment with him to really feel solid on his warscroll

PYRES
The character healing ability came in most useful this game, between that (4 pyres needed) and the healing priests it kept the big character in the game despite alot of focused fire to bring him down, and this is with me failing to light any pyres on my first turn despite two attempts

And some happy pictures of the game!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

I've reviewed and sorted some of the rules errors (referring to Inferno Markers as Pyre Markers in some places, its all now Inferno Markers) aswell as clarifying that Inferno Markers must be wholely within a terrain piece and not within 6 inches of another Inferno Marker (so very large terrain pieces can accomodate multiple markers). I've also sorted a light hearted faction focus for the Suneater tribes for AoS 2.0

FACTION FOCUS: SUNEATER TRIBES

Its time for another Faction Focus today and one I'm sure all of me has been waiting for! We'll be looking at who the Suneater Tribes are, with tactical insight from "Totally not me wearing a different hat" along with how they'll evolve into Age of Sigmar Second Edition...

WHO ARE THE SUNEATER TRIBES
Fanatical, obsessed and enraged the Suneater Tribes are the city burners of the Destruction faction, they are ruled over by Ogor Prophets who play the role of Barbaric Kings and Seers of the tribes, driven by the will of the Suneater (A Volatile aspect of Gorkamorka) to burn the cities that seek to bring order to the wilds of the Realms. The Suneater tribes are an enemy of Sigmars own making, a result of his armies being left to enforce their own concepts of civilization without restraint across the realms, conquering tribes who would otherwise have taken only their fair share of meat and lives from weaker races. The relentless expansion of Order cities pushes the tribes to the edge of extinction, and in this moment of cataclysm a mighty Prophet walked forth from the blasted deserts at the edge of Ghur, a living avatar of their Gods firey temper.

To the Suneater tribes every city in the realms is a taunting reminder of the dominance that Order sought to show over their people, it is a blight on the face of the Realm, they believed that when walls are broken and shelters burned the natural order of things will resume, with Ogors (and their grotkin) resuming dominance over the weaker man-things of the Realms. The Suneater tribes fiery temper is matched by their abundance of pyrotechnic weaponry, wielding flame as easily as blade or club in their onslaught, they bring what few other destruction factions can... the ability to break wall and burn fortress. To this end they are often slower moving than many of their destruction kin but make up for it with a plethora of ranged weaponry and a first for destruction: Priests.

A Suneater tribe migration is a literal scar upon the realms, hundreds of miles of woodland in Ghyran is now little more than a blackened wound referred to as "The Scorch" where a rogue Suneater migration was eventually brought to a halt by a combined Order alliance. Whilst the Suneaters themselves were destroyed the wound they left on the realms has yet to begin to heal, either through intense heat or magical mean no seed will take to the burnt soils they left in their wake.

PLAYER PERSPECTIVE
Ricki-in-a-Hat is one of the most devout players of the Suneater tribes, more to the point is definately not me in a hat giving the tactical overlay of my custom faction, at all.

Interviewer: So what attracted you to the Suneater Tribes
Ricki-in-a-Hat: Well first of all thanks for having me Tim..

Interviewer: I'm not Ti...
Ricki-in-a-Hat: Good story Tim, I found the original factions of destruction to be lacking something, they all encapsulated the wilds of the Realms but it lacked that emotional aspect that I find ties me better to collecting and playing a faction. There is a visceral rage to the Suneater tribes, they are not acting without reason but avenging centuries of abuse and onslaught by the cities of order, in their minds they are the good guys here, fighting to reclaim lands and lives lost when Sigmar decided that his armies would take what was theirs in the name of "Good"

Interviewer: So what're your tips for Suneater Tribes players?
Ricki-in-a-Hat: Stoke the Pyres, the inferno marker ability is a fantastic way of delivering massively impactful abilities on a turn by turn basis, all from the hugely thematic concept of burning down the terrain that makes up the battlefield (could anything be more destruction?) You'll want a couple of Gothi Fyri priests using their Cowardly rule to avoiding incoming fire to stoke pyres across the battlefield. Most Suneater Tribes units are better when near, or targetting an enemy near an Inferno Marker, use their to control the battlefield either by having troops Firewalk using the Waaaghkart or delivering an unrelenting artillery bombardment.

Interviewer: What advice would you give to a new Suneater Tribes player?
Ricki-in-a-Hat: Start with a character, these are the lynchpins of the Suneaters story, every tribe is shaped by the will of its Volsungr prophet from their fighting style, appearance all the way down to their motivations. In developing your tribal leader you'll understand and connect better with the rest of your force. Some will be led by Ogor centric Volsungr who trust the Gothi Priests as far as they can throw them (which admittedly is still pretty far, especially if you crush them into a ball first) so will focus on Gullveig and the mounted Ogors to deliver much of their blow. Others might listen a little too much to the Gothi whispering in their ears, a force comprised of cowardly Grots with minimal Ogors present but bringing in much more artillery.

IN THE NEW EDITION

So GREAT NEWS... I'm still writing the Battletome (see procrastination is for WINNERS), what this means is it can evolve and change with the new edition, first of all this faction packs in some of the most reliable combat Wizards in the game with a Volsungr on Magmadrake packing in over 20 wounds and enough mobility to delivery him where you want your endless spells to originate. Your Inferno Marker will also take on new life in AoS 2.0 as the excitations of flame elementals focuses around the Pyres of the Suneaters, you'll have to decide whether to use your Pyres to enhance your fighting capabilities or extinguish them to unleash volatile and capricious flame elementals on your foes and drown the battlefield in living fire.

Points will ofcourse be reviewed as we enter the new edition, with a couple of units already seeing points drops (Slatr Warbeast), but moreover whilst over factions relish the new "Look out Sir" mechanic your Gothi priests take it a step further with their Cowardly rule keeping them entirely safe from enemy shooting when hidden near other Suneater units.

You'll also be able to take advantage of some of the massively thematic new relics from Ghur and Aqshy, realms the Suneater tribes have the bulk of their Migrations in, this way you can tell the tale of your tribes conquests through treasures captured along.

Combining Pyre Markers and your Waaaghkarts ability to launch units up the field you'll be able to target enemy characters seeking to hide in the backfield, or bring your slower units to bear in the prescence of your Volsungr on Magma drake, locking down the enemies most potent units with your own viscious combat units and controlling the battlefield from an early stage.

IN SUMMARY

The Suneater tribes and their world burning migrations are looking set to bring the cities of Order to heel in the new edition...

The Beginning of some background lore and a newly revised warscroll for the Burnin Bomb Catapult (now increased to 90 points)

THE SUNEATER TRIBES

Deep within the Realm of Fire the drums of war echo with resounding beats as the fanatical Ogor and Grot acolytes of the violent and fire-born god The Suneater march to war. Putting all that stands in their path to the flame that every realm might one day reflect the broken and charred world that birthed them.

There are many who tell the tales of righteous victories of Sigmar, those that would tell of his heroic deeds and noble intentions to creation a unified pantheon of the gods, all equals in their own right who would form a bulwark agaisnt the tides of chaos that sought to seize upon the Realms. But the words of men are weaved of lies and weighted by the egos of their kind, such tales are little more than the fanciful reimaginings by the poets and politicians of Sigmars realms, their lies woven into the very fibres of every building and the muscled sinews of every Soldiers in his armies.

The terms of Sigmars alliance with Gorkamorka are oft glossed over in the telling of the pantheons founding, such details do not fit the narrative of Sigmars tales and thus who chose to share it with nobody, the feeble Man-God promised the Lord of Destruction a war unlike any other… he told tales of a tide of chaos encroaching upon the realm and a mighty battle to dwarf anything the mighty Orruk god had ever experienced before. The weak god sought to whet the appetite his rival, but where he offered war he hide his desire for a peace without end, when he spoke of battles in glory he wove a leash to keep Gorkamorka to heel, and when he spoke of an empire that spanned corner to corner of the realms he meant only his own. And thus when Sigmar lay the first bricks in the foundation of his grand alliance it was on a crumbling foundation built of lies and deceit, doomed to fail.

To leash the Lord of Destruction is to try and cage the very wind or lid the volcano, for every day that passed for this mighty beasts beneath the heel of Sigmar his temper grew and his patience shortened. Years of enforcing a peace he had never wanted renegated the only glorious creature to little more than the attack dog of the man-god, sent out to wage wars no other god was willing to risk there people for only to return and find yet more idols and cities erected to the weaker gods of the pantheon. As his realisation of this injustice grew Gorkamorka began to unravel the leash he had been caged by, he saw the lesser gods for what they were, false idols feeding off of the belief of their peoples seeking to impose their wills upon the realms that neither asked for nor wanted them. Gorkamorka however was born of the primal winds of the realms themselves, every brick laid tore just a fraction more of that primal wind away, every mighty beast caged fed the other gods and syphoned away his powers. All this while Sigmar thought himself just and glorious, he saw no ill in the cage he had built for the Lord of Destruction, and in his arrogance he failed to see the last threads of his leash unravel until it was too late.

The Gods of Order had thought Gorkamorkas power had diminished beyond reckoning, but the explosive force of his temper caught them all off guard, as the last strands of his leash decayed he erupted forth in a tide of destruction unlike any that had gripped the realms before, he gathered to him every Orruk and Greenskin and those Ogors that would heed the call. It is said by the scholars of Sigmar that every creature of destruction fell beneath the sway of Gorkamorkas petty rebellion, they do not tell of the Ogor tribes that wanted no part of the endless wars that Gorkamorka sought to instigate, but these truths are often found to be inconvinient in light of the war Sigmar waged against Gorkamorkas kin. In retaliation to the tide of destruction Sigmar gathered to him an army of man, aelf and dwarf to enforce his word of Order across the realm, such a combined army marched that the very grass beneath their feed was crushed away to darked dirt, their hunger was so ravenous that they stripped whole regions bare off livestock yet all these things were blamed on the kin of destruction.

burnin-bomb-catapult.jpg

And heres something for AoS 2.0 a destruction faction with Summoning you say... hmm....

BATTLE TRAITS
An army with the SUNEATER TRIBE allegiance gains the FEEDING THE  FLAME special rule

FEEDING THE FLAME: Before either army deploys on the battlefield select one piece of TERRAIN and place a single INFERNO MARKER, it is possible for other INFERNO MARKERS to be placed throughout the game through abilities or artefacts, when placing an INFERNO MARKER it must be placed wholly within a terrain feature and not within 6 inches of another INFERNO MARKER.. Each turn you may enact the below rule in your hero phase:

PYRES OF THE SUNEATER

In your hero phase count the number of INFERNO MARKERS currently on the battlefield and select an army wide ability from the chat below. You may select one ability to enact until your next hero phase up to the number of pyres you have (you may select a lower number ability if you wish) to channel the favour of the Suneater. Only one such Pyre Ability may be in force at any one time.

Once an ability has been enacted roll a D6, on a roll of  1 you must remove 1 INFERNO MARKER from the battlefield as it is drained of its energies.

INFERNO MARKERS

ABILITY

Choking Smoke – With the smoke from the Pyre hanging low over the battlefield the Suneaters can conceal themselves with ease. Until your next Hero Phase, subtract 1 from any attacks targetting a SUNEATER TRIBES unit in the shooting phase

The Leaping Flame – Until your next Hero PhaseSUNEATER TRIBE models may re-roll failed charge rolls this turn, in addition any successful charge that rolls a 9+ immediately inflicts 1 mortal wound on an enemy unit within 3 inches.

The Roaring Blaze – SUNEATER TRIBE units may run and shoot, or run and charge for the duration of this turn. A unit may not elect to do both however.

Undying Embers – SUNEATER TRIBE HEROES immediately heal D3 wounds, additionally increase the attack characteristics of their weapons by 1 until your next hero phase.

5 or more

Shimmering Heat – Until your next hero phase SUNEATER TRIBE units that suffer a wound or mortal wound may ignore them on a D6 roll of 5+ this turn as the heat of the blaze warps away otherwise mortal blows.

BORN OF LIVING FLAME

The great pyres of the Suneater tribes are lures to the violent and capricious fire sprites within the realms, these primal entities seek out areas where the flame is strongest to spread their endless infernos across all of existence. At the beginning of your turn, before enacting the PYRES OF THE SUNEATER ability you may instead of to bring forth flame elementals leaping out of your pyres, if you do so pick a unit from the table below upto the number of INFERNO MARKERS you currently have on the board and place it wholly within 6 inches of any INFERNO MARKER. When you have done so immediately remove all INFERNO MARKERS from the battlefield as the force of the elementals arrival extinguishes their flame.

PYRE COST

UNIT

3 x Capricious Sparks

6 x Burning Hounds

1 x Flaming Tempest

Elementals added to your army in this manner may never claim or contest objectives, they are creature of the primal winds and such things are below their understandings of the Realms. In addition these units do not count toward units lost when tallying points of units destroyed at the end of the battle.

capricious-sparks.jpg.8f8eaace0e517c2f0b1c48eb019d9645.jpg

burning-hounds.jpg.a97b6bcaf783fbcf4d4a0757c99b9cd3.jpg

flaming-tempest.jpg.505491b85a18de41f2ce69c6f800f5b0.jpg

2 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

The Beginning of some background lore and a newly revised warscroll for the Burnin Bomb Catapult (now increased to 90 points)

THE SUNEATER TRIBES

Deep within the Realm of Fire the drums of war echo with resounding beats as the fanatical Ogor and Grot acolytes of the violent and fire-born god The Suneater march to war. Putting all that stands in their path to the flame that every realm might one day reflect the broken and charred world that birthed them.

There are many who tell the tales of righteous victories of Sigmar, those that would tell of his heroic deeds and noble intentions to creation a unified pantheon of the gods, all equals in their own right who would form a bulwark agaisnt the tides of chaos that sought to seize upon the Realms. But the words of men are weaved of lies and weighted by the egos of their kind, such tales are little more than the fanciful reimaginings by the poets and politicians of Sigmars realms, their lies woven into the very fibres of every building and the muscled sinews of every Soldiers in his armies.

The terms of Sigmars alliance with Gorkamorka are oft glossed over in the telling of the pantheons founding, such details do not fit the narrative of Sigmars tales and thus who chose to share it with nobody, the feeble Man-God promised the Lord of Destruction a war unlike any other… he told tales of a tide of chaos encroaching upon the realm and a mighty battle to dwarf anything the mighty Orruk god had ever experienced before. The weak god sought to whet the appetite his rival, but where he offered war he hide his desire for a peace without end, when he spoke of battles in glory he wove a leash to keep Gorkamorka to heel, and when he spoke of an empire that spanned corner to corner of the realms he meant only his own. And thus when Sigmar lay the first bricks in the foundation of his grand alliance it was on a crumbling foundation built of lies and deceit, doomed to fail.

To leash the Lord of Destruction is to try and cage the very wind or lid the volcano, for every day that passed for this mighty beasts beneath the heel of Sigmar his temper grew and his patience shortened. Years of enforcing a peace he had never wanted renegated the only glorious creature to little more than the attack dog of the man-god, sent out to wage wars no other god was willing to risk there people for only to return and find yet more idols and cities erected to the weaker gods of the pantheon. As his realisation of this injustice grew Gorkamorka began to unravel the leash he had been caged by, he saw the lesser gods for what they were, false idols feeding off of the belief of their peoples seeking to impose their wills upon the realms that neither asked for nor wanted them. Gorkamorka however was born of the primal winds of the realms themselves, every brick laid tore just a fraction more of that primal wind away, every mighty beast caged fed the other gods and syphoned away his powers. All this while Sigmar thought himself just and glorious, he saw no ill in the cage he had built for the Lord of Destruction, and in his arrogance he failed to see the last threads of his leash unravel until it was too late.

The Gods of Order had thought Gorkamorkas power had diminished beyond reckoning, but the explosive force of his temper caught them all off guard, as the last strands of his leash decayed he erupted forth in a tide of destruction unlike any that had gripped the realms before, he gathered to him every Orruk and Greenskin and those Ogors that would heed the call. It is said by the scholars of Sigmar that every creature of destruction fell beneath the sway of Gorkamorkas petty rebellion, they do not tell of the Ogor tribes that wanted no part of the endless wars that Gorkamorka sought to instigate, but these truths are often found to be inconvinient in light of the war Sigmar waged against Gorkamorkas kin. In retaliation to the tide of destruction Sigmar gathered to him an army of man, aelf and dwarf to enforce his word of Order across the realm, such a combined army marched that the very grass beneath their feed was crushed away to darked dirt, their hunger was so ravenous that they stripped whole regions bare off livestock yet all these things were blamed on the kin of destruction.

burnin-bomb-catapult.jpg

And heres something for AoS 2.0 a destruction faction with Summoning you say... hmm....

BATTLE TRAITS
An army with the SUNEATER TRIBE allegiance gains the FEEDING THE  FLAME special rule

FEEDING THE FLAME: Before either army deploys on the battlefield select one piece of TERRAIN and place a single INFERNO MARKER, it is possible for other INFERNO MARKERS to be placed throughout the game through abilities or artefacts, when placing an INFERNO MARKER it must be placed wholly within a terrain feature and not within 6 inches of another INFERNO MARKER.. Each turn you may enact the below rule in your hero phase:

PYRES OF THE SUNEATER

In your hero phase count the number of INFERNO MARKERS currently on the battlefield and select an army wide ability from the chat below. You may select one ability to enact until your next hero phase up to the number of pyres you have (you may select a lower number ability if you wish) to channel the favour of the Suneater. Only one such Pyre Ability may be in force at any one time.

Once an ability has been enacted roll a D6, on a roll of  1 you must remove 1 INFERNO MARKER from the battlefield as it is drained of its energies.

INFERNO MARKERS

ABILITY

Choking Smoke – With the smoke from the Pyre hanging low over the battlefield the Suneaters can conceal themselves with ease. Until your next Hero Phase, subtract 1 from any attacks targetting a SUNEATER TRIBES unit in the shooting phase

The Leaping Flame – Until your next Hero PhaseSUNEATER TRIBE models may re-roll failed charge rolls this turn, in addition any successful charge that rolls a 9+ immediately inflicts 1 mortal wound on an enemy unit within 3 inches.

The Roaring Blaze – SUNEATER TRIBE units may run and shoot, or run and charge for the duration of this turn. A unit may not elect to do both however.

Undying Embers – SUNEATER TRIBE HEROES immediately heal D3 wounds, additionally increase the attack characteristics of their weapons by 1 until your next hero phase.

5 or more

Shimmering Heat – Until your next hero phase SUNEATER TRIBE units that suffer a wound or mortal wound may ignore them on a D6 roll of 5+ this turn as the heat of the blaze warps away otherwise mortal blows.

BORN OF LIVING FLAME

The great pyres of the Suneater tribes are lures to the violent and capricious fire sprites within the realms, these primal entities seek out areas where the flame is strongest to spread their endless infernos across all of existence. At the beginning of your turn, before enacting the PYRES OF THE SUNEATER ability you may instead of to bring forth flame elementals leaping out of your pyres, if you do so pick a unit from the table below upto the number of INFERNO MARKERS you currently have on the board and place it wholly within 6 inches of any INFERNO MARKER. When you have done so immediately remove all INFERNO MARKERS from the battlefield as the force of the elementals arrival extinguishes their flame.

PYRE COST

UNIT

3 x Capricious Sparks

6 x Burning Hounds

1 x Flaming Tempest

Elementals added to your army in this manner may never claim or contest objectives, they are creature of the primal winds and such things are below their understandings of the Realms. In addition these units do not count toward units lost when tallying points of units destroyed at the end of the battle.

capricious-sparks.jpg.8f8eaace0e517c2f0b1c48eb019d9645.jpg

burning-hounds.jpg.a97b6bcaf783fbcf4d4a0757c99b9cd3.jpg

flaming-tempest.jpg.505491b85a18de41f2ce69c6f800f5b0.jpg

This is great! I like the part about certain tribes of Ogors not joining Gorkamorka’s Waaaaaaagh!, I was wondering if it would be ok for me to use that bit as the background for The Furnace King’s lore( instead of joining in the fighting, they forged weapons and sabotaged key fortresses.)? 

Feel free, still putting together the rest but in the aftermath of Sigmar putting an end to Gorkamorka's rampage in a collassal battle turned the Endless Plains pastures in Ghur into the ShatterToof desert his grand army disbanded into smaller armies each individually led by their own noblemen, kings, queens and chieftans. They are left to enforce order at this own will across the realms and used this as an opportunity to grab land, resources and massacre all those that they considered "savage" under the guise of putting down the last vestiges of Gorkamorkas rampage. 

It was in these darkest of days when the whims of the "Good" enforced slavery, annexation of entire Ogor kingdoms and the massacre of beasts older than living memory in the name of Glory and redemption that the Iron Klaw tribes were assaulted by a rampaging dwarven kings gold crazed armies, under the banner of Sigmar they massacred the entire tribe to a man that they might claim the precious mineral deposits beneath their encampment. It was only their chieftan to survive, having taken a rock to the skull late in the battle during a mournfang charge that his foot, still caught in the stirrups of his mount became untangled. Unconcious and wounded he was dragged by the enraged beast deep into the deserts and thought dead

(Would eventually go on to become the first Prophet of the Suneater, essentially an enemy of Sigmars own making gathering some of the last vestiges of the Ogor Kingdoms and using their desperation to polarise them under the banner of the Suneaters)

Looking over the latest factional releases going into 2.0 the theme has been either:
-Points Reductions

-Or Summoning

So provisionally looking over the battletome going forwards (obviously everything can change with the release of 2.0) i reviewed various aspects of what could and couldnt change with every faction focus. In terms of points only the Slatr is sat in a place that changing point seems like something I would consider (he's designed to be 20 under stonehorn so will alter based on stonehorn cost), I've always had a thing for elementals as primal elements for destruction but I feel they lack character to be a coherent force of their own, however with the new endless spells showing the increased potency of magic I find the idea that elementals becoming more numerous around loci to their relevant elements (fire in this case) would become more prolific.

So taking an alliance with no summoning (destruction) with my Suneaters who are designed to fill a niche in the faction (hence pyres, priests etc) the concept of fire elementals went hand in hand. I had a pre build factional currency (pyre count) that was perfectly suited to fill the summoning void as every turn you opt to summon you have essentially forfeited your allegiance abilities (summoning reduces you to 0 pyres).

12 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Nice, nice. I feel we also need more decent artillery and war machines; so I’m trying to cover that end with the Furnace Kings.

June is my month of the Ogor to get models made for:
Balkasta
2 x Gullveig Units
Aldin Draken
Beserkr

WHich gives me a chance to playtest decent ranged attack Ogor units and a secondary commander structure for the faction, its also a chance to work on Battalions for the faction including one that allows Volsungr and Beserkr to use their shooting attacks to manifest pyres.

14 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

June is my month of the Ogor to get models made for:
Balkasta
2 x Gullveig Units
Aldin Draken
Beserkr

WHich gives me a chance to playtest decent ranged attack Ogor units and a secondary commander structure for the faction, its also a chance to work on Battalions for the faction including one that allows Volsungr and Beserkr to use their shooting attacks to manifest pyres.

Best of luck! I’m going to be splitting my time between the dread fleet and the furnace Kong’s, I have most of the units already planned out for the second one, it’s more warscrolls and painting. For a battilion maybe you can tie the Beastclaw raiders in somehow.

"Of Fire and Ice"
Volsungr on Magma Drake
2 Units of Aldin Draken

Frostlord on Stonehorn
2 Units of Mournfangs

Elite of the Tribes - if the Volsungr from this Battallion is your general both the Mournfangs and Aldin Draken become battleline

One blade worth ten - Mournfangs and Aldin draken from this Batallion count as 5 models each for the purposes of claiming objectives, each is an elite warrior worth a ten mortal souls able to hold ground that few others could

Stormriders - As the Everwinter clashes with the mighty Pyres of the Suneater the clashing elements result in a thunderous Storm the likes of which few have ever witnessed. Every charge from the formation comes with the cracking of thunder and the piercing glow of lightning racing over the skies above. Enemy units targetting models from this formation that have charge this turn suffer -1 to hit in the combat phase.

I've also worked on revising the Aldin Draken scroll, they had been eclipsed in nearly every way by the Bal Kasta so needed to find a niche they they occupied better, for this reason they have taken on the Monster Hunter role within the tribes. Part of their sacred duty as the elite guard of the Volsungr includes they unenviable task of felling the Magma Drake should its Volsungr Rider perish, the tribes have learnt from experience that without the will of the Volsungr to keep their mighty Drakes in check such monsterous creatures could cleave through a migration and leave nothing but corpses in its wake. Thus their wickedly barbed crossbows are tailored to felling mighty beasts.

1559000296_aldin-draken(1).jpg.962e20f79ba01bcec3737314c4e1fdb3.jpg

And then the Bal Kasta for comparison

1348786538_bal-kasta(1).jpg.d6c54f13b949e5c7dfedd9fe862db9b9.jpg

Archived