Suneater Tribes Battletome WIP: Full rules Pg6

Melcavuk

Fantastic video, even if GW dont make a recognisable faction I'll keep plugging away at my battletome until I've perfected it. Here's some slightly revised prayers, spells, a new command trait tree and the initial points cost listings!

PYRES OF THE SUNEATER

In your hero phase count the number of INFERNO MARKERS currently on the battlefield and select an army wide ability from the chat below. You may select one ability to enact until your next hero phase up to the number of pyres you have (you may select a lower number ability if you wish) to channel the favour of the Suneater. Only one such Pyre Ability may be in force at any one time.

Once an ability has been enacted roll a D6, on a roll of 1 you must remove 1 INFERNO MARKER from the battlefield as it is drained of its energies.

INFERNO MARKERS

ABILITY

Choking Smoke – With the smoke from the Pyre hanging low over the battlefield the Suneaters can conceal themselves with ease. Subtract 1 from any attacks targetting a SUNEATER TRIBES model in the shooting phase

The Leaping Flame – SUNEATER TRIBE models may re-roll failed charge rolls this turn, in addition any successful charge that rolls a 9+ immediately inflicts 1 mortal wound on an enemy unit within 3 inches.

The Roaring Blaze – SUNEATER TRIBE units may run and shoot, or run and charge for the duration of this turn. A unit may not elect to do both however.

Undying Embers – SUNEATER TRIBE HEROES immediately heal D3 wounds, additionally increase the attack characteristics of their weapons by 1 until your next hero phase.

5 or more

Shimmering Heat – SUNEATER TRIBE units that suffer a wound or mortal wound may ignore them on a D6 roll of 5+ this turn as the heat of the blaze warps away otherwise mortal blows.

COMMAND TRAITS

In addition to their command abilities, if they are a Hero, the general of a SUNEATER TRIBES army can have a command trait from the list below. Pick the trait that best sits your generals personality. Alternatively you can roll a dice to randomly determine a trait. If, for whatever reason, you must select a new general during the battle, immediately generate a trait for them.

D6

Command Trait

Fanatical Second – Pick one other Hero from your army to be your general second. That Hero may use their command ability as if they were your general, if they do not have a command ability they may use inspiring presence instead

Aint No God but Mine – Enemy Priests must reroll ant successful prayers when within 12 inches of this model as their words are drowned out

Troll Blooded – In each of your Hero Phases this model heals one wound lost previously in the battle

Thick Skull – Reroll the first failed armour save for this model each turn as their dense skull deflects the blade.

Deafening Roar – When completing battleshock tests, enemy units within 6 inches of this model subtract one from their Bravery

Practiced at Killin' – Choose one of your generals weapon profiles (it cannot be a weapon used by a mount if they have one) and increase its Attacks characteristic by 1.

MANIFESTATIONS OF THE SUNEATER

The priests of the Suneater dance frantically around the Pyres to his glory, each seeking to harness the flames of his almighty majesty that they might garner a small portion of his attention to smite their foes.

Each PRIEST in a Suneater tribes army may select one Prayer from the list below, this prayer may be invoked in addition to any known on their War scroll. You may select a prayer or alternatively opt to roll a D6 to reflect the random nature of the whims of destructions.

INVOCATIONS OF THE SUNEATER
Any SUNEATER TRIBES PRIEST can be given one of the following Prayers in addition to any others they know – the better to channel the destructive whims of their volcanic gods might on the battlefield. Pick one that best matches the backstory or Tribe of your priest. Alternatively, you can roll a dice to randomly determine which extra prayer is known to the priest.

Note that each PRIEST in a SUNEATER TRIBES army can know a different prayer. If you prefer, you can instead general (pick or roll) one prayer that will be known by all your SUNEATER TRIBES PRIESTS.

D6

PRAYER

Wrath of the Blackened Wyrm

Judgement of the Suneater

Volcanic Blows

Under the Heel of Gork

Burning Blood

Burn it all

HINTS AND TIPS
Some PRIESTS have more than one ability on their warscroll which lets them pray for a particular effect, and some terrain features grant them extra prayers. These abilities might be mutually exclusive, so that your PRIEST can only use one of these abilities in each of their turns. Invocations of the Suneater are not limited in this way – you can use your PRIESTS extra prayer in addition to any others that they know.

1. Wrath of the Blackened Wyrm – A priest channels his will into the thick black smoke billowing from the pyres, coiling it like a serpent to obscure the Suneaters from their foes. Pick one TERRAIN feature within 15 inches of this priest and roll a D6, on a roll of 4 or more enemy models may no longer draw line of sight through or over that terrain feature.

2. Judgement of the Suneater – The best blades are formed in the hottest of flames, pick a friendly unit within 12 inches and roll a D6, on a 4 or more that unit immediately heals D3 wounds. On a roll of 1 however they are found unworthy and instead the target unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.

3. Volcanic Blows – Pick a friendly unit within 3 inches and roll a D6, on a 5 or more that units weapons are charged with the force of a volcanic eruption. Until your next hero phase whenever your target unit rolls of a 6 or more to hit resolve their attacks at a rend of -2.

4. Under the heel of Gork – Select an enemy unit within 18 inches and roll a D6, on a roll of 5 or more that unit counts its SAVE as its movement value until your next hero phase (A unit with a save of 3+ now has a move of 3) as they feel the weight of Gorks mighty foot pushing down upon them.

5. Burning Blood – Select a friendly unit within 3 inches and roll a D6, on a roll of 4 or more that unit is enchanted. Until your next hero phase, if at the end of any combat phase that unit has lost wounds in close combat their attacker suffers D3 mortal wounds as their foes blood burns at their skin.

6. Burn it all – Select a friendly INFERNO MARKER and roll a D6, on a roll of 5 or more your prayer has been successful. Roll a dice for every ENEMY model within 6 inches of that marker, on a roll of 6 or more that model suffers a mortal wound as the pyres flame suddenly erupts outwards.

LORE OF THE FLAME

1. Fireball – Casting Value 5 – Pick an enemy unit visible to the caster and within 18 inches and roll a D6, on a roll of a 1 that unit suffers a mortal wound, on 2-4 that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds, on a 5-6 that unit suffers D6 mortal wounds.

2. Molten Shield – Casting Value – 6 - Pick a visible friendly unit within 12 inches of this wizard, until your next hero phase you may re roll failed saves for that unit, additionally any save roll of a 6 or more inflicts a mortal wound on an enemy unit within 3 inches.

3. Jaws of the Suneater – Casting Value 8 – The ground itself seems to warp and shift into a molten burning maw that threatens to swallow a man whole, consuming all in its path until its hunger sates. Pick a visible enemy MODEL within 18 inches that MODEL (damage will not overspill into the unit) suffers D3 mortal wounds, if the roll resulted in 3 mortal wounds (and the model was slain) select another model in the unit and repeat the process until you inflict less than 3 mortal wounds on a roll or the unit is destroyed

4. Aftershock – Casting value – 6. The wizard slams his foot against the dirt with a thud that resonates as though a clap of thunder, as they ground shakes and distorts enemies find it hard to find their footing. Until your next hero phase enemy units that initiate a charge move within 9 inches of this wizard must subtract 3 from the result.

5. Choking Ash – Casting Value – 6 – Pick a visible unit within 18 inches of the caster, until your next hero phase that unit must subtract 1 from all hit rolls as they as surrounding by a thick blanket of ash, if the casting roll for this spell was 11+ that unit must also subtract 1 from to wound rolls until your next hero phase.

6. Immolate – Casting Value – 8. The last spiteful act of many a Suneater wizard is to give themselves over entirely to the flame, their bodies exploding in a ball of flame that consumes all nearby. Every unit friend or foe within 6 inches of this model (including this model) suffers D6 mortal wounds, if the casting roll was 11+ they instead suffer 2D6 mortal wounds as the Suneater revels in the destruction.

TROPHIES OF AQSHY

1. The Elusive Spark – This shimmering spark was once a fire imp, its essence ripped away by Suneater priests it now fuels a lantern lengthening and distorting the shadows of its bearer into a haunting spectre. Enemy models within 6 inches of this model reduce their Bravery by 2

2. Drake blood Oils – Pick one MELEE weapon for the bearer to apply these oils to, this cannot belong to their mount. Any wound rolls of 6 or more with this weapon inflict a single mortal wound in addition to their normal damage

3. Embers of the first Pyre – Blessed are those given but a part of the first Pyre of the Suneaters, this model may utilise the Spark of Destruction prayer even if they are not a priest. If the model is a priest they may use this prayer twice in a turn.
    SPARK OF DESTRUCTION: In your HERO PHASE select a terrain feature within 15 inches of this model and roll a D6. On a roll of 4 or more that terrain feature sparks into flame and you may place an INFERNO MARKER on it. Additionally roll a dice for any model (friend or foe) entirely within that terrain feature. On a roll of 6+ that model suffers a mortal wound as they are engulfed in the flames.

4. Flickerfire Cloak – The bearers cloak ripples and shifts as though a coursing magma flow, enemy models attacking this Hero in the combat phase must re roll any hit rolls of a 6 as they are captivated by the cloak.

5. Volcanic Shield – Hits struck against this shield reverberate with the deafening boom of a volcanic eruption, Cunning Ogors bang their blades against the shield on the charge to send their foes off balance. Enemy units within 3 inches of this HERO may not be selected to attack in Melee until all other units have been resolved.

6. Bone hewn Effigy – This model has a small token effigy of the Suneater carved from the bones of a great drake, it is said when the strength of the bearer begins to leave their form they may drain the last of the drakes energies from the bone to reinvigorate themselves. Once per battle in your hero phase you may elect to use this effigy, restoring D3 wounds to this model.

RULES

PITCHED BATTLE PROFILES

The table below provides points, minimum and maximum unit sizes and battlefield roles for the Warscrolls and Warscroll battalions in this book, for use in Pitched Battles. Used alongside the rules for Pitched Battles in the Generals Handbook, this provides you with everything you need to field your army of Suneater Tribes against any opponent

SUNEATER TRIBES

UNIT SIZE

BATTLEFIELD ROLE

NOTES

UNIT

MIN

MAX

Aldin Draken

-

Ashen Grots

130/240

BATTLELINE

Bal Kasta

-

Beserkr

LEADER

Gothi Fyri

LEADER

Gullveig Ogors

120/400

BATTLELINE

Magma Drake

BEHEMOTH

Mighty Slatr

BEHEMOTH

Pyre Belchers

-

Slatr Warbeast

BEHEMOTH

Stone Hewn Effigy

WARMACHINE

The Svangur

-

BATTLELINE if the army is SUNEATER TRIBES allegiance and your general is a BESERKR

Volsungr on Magma Drake

HERO, BEHEMOTH

Fire and Ruin

-

-

BATALLION

Deluge of Phlegm and Fire

-

-

BATALLION

Slatr Migration

-

-

BATALLION

The Hungry Flame

-

-

BATTALION

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone willing to give it a look over here's the latest on my heavily work in progess Suneater Tribes battletome, skip past the blank spaces in the beginning for when I (or anyone willing to help) fleshes out the background narrative. The rules are the part currently in need of review, tips or advice!

Thanks guys!

Suneatertribeinprogress.docx

So now to the next question:

Inner faction allegiances, how do people feel about them and are they really neccessary?

Was looking at fleshing out the subtribes that form up the main body of the Suneater tribe faction and each has their own modus operandi and their own unique personalities, now looking at recent battletomes this has started coming with additional special rules ontop of the faction specific bonuses. However there always seems to be one "go to" subfaction and a few duff ones. Do you (the community) feel it is worth adding in Subfactions to the Suneaters or is it going to be an exercise is over complicating something I am striving to balance?

Thanks for any help/comments

Ricki

Final warscroll completed for the faction. Having run it through with some locals i have some wording to tighten up on some of the previous scrolls and needed some more interplay between heroes buffing units but beyond that really happy with the result. Now i get to make models, play test and beautiful the draft before trying to battletome it up properly.

gothi-fyri-on-magmadroth.jpg.d90dfd7f1e6bc22ee0b0eedaab8adee6.jpg

On 4/26/2018 at 7:56 AM, Melcavuk said:

So now to the next question:

Inner faction allegiances, how do people feel about them and are they really neccessary?

Was looking at fleshing out the subtribes that form up the main body of the Suneater tribe faction and each has their own modus operandi and their own unique personalities, now looking at recent battletomes this has started coming with additional special rules ontop of the faction specific bonuses. However there always seems to be one "go to" subfaction and a few duff ones. Do you (the community) feel it is worth adding in Subfactions to the Suneaters or is it going to be an exercise is over complicating something I am striving to balance?

Thanks for any help/comments

Ricki

I think sub factions only work when there is a sufficient number of models and also a sufficient amount of fluff that reflect numerous groups. Well I'm more of a fluff player so I like them, but not all factions I think need them. Though I think the AoS subfaction I like the most is the slaanesh ones, I think that is the most unique one.

On 28/04/2018 at 6:12 PM, kenshin620 said:

I think sub factions only work when there is a sufficient number of models and also a sufficient amount of fluff that reflect numerous groups. Well I'm more of a fluff player so I like them, but not all factions I think need them. Though I think the AoS subfaction I like the most is the slaanesh ones, I think that is the most unique one.

The big thing I find about them is that, when done properly, it supports army lists and units which would normally not make the A list. Take DoK for example, it has a subfaction for each of the different kinds of army. The new Dark Eldar codex (40k) is an amazing example of how the subfactions can be used to create some really interesting list building options.

• 2 weeks later...

Need help from anyone with a narrative writing lean, I have hit writer block and whilst I have bullet pointed the events in the build up to the Suneater tribes formation I'm struggling to put it all together and flesh it out. If anyone has any inclination and talent in writing and fancies helping out please do:

Timeline –

Sigmars alliance begin to settle Ghur

The Prophets tribe (before he is prophet) is devastated because they occupy fertile ground settlers want

Prophet as sole survivor is dragged by his mount out into the desert

Prophet staggers desert, becomes “suntouched” and mad, falls into a great ravine “The Suneaters Maw”
Prophet faces the Trials of the Suneater, emerges the chosen of his god

Decades after he fell into the ravine the newly blessed Prophet claws his way back out, borne aloft by his great Magma Drake mount

Is found by a half starved grot scavenger Gothi feasting on those even the carrion birds couldn’t pallet, sensing opportunity and eager not to become the drakes meal Gothi pledges himself to the new Prophet as priest and herald

Prophet finds Ghur much changed, what was once wild and untamable now has human settlements, objectionable forts jutting from the hillside and stone hewn roads carved through the once wild landscapes.

Prophet seeks out the Gullveig tribe to start his army, Gothi uses his scavenged Urgold to bargain with Fyreslayers to execute the tribal leader. With the Gulleig now in disarray the Prophet emerges, butchering the Fyreslayers and reclaiming the Ur-gold. Gullveig fall in line behind the Prophet who demands a sacrafice of their eldest generation for their weakness in letting Order take root in Ghur.

Those Gullveig with magic are led to the Morks Toof volcano, deep in the heart of the mountain the Prophet uses his magic to raise a crude rock shrine from the magma flow, those chosen attempt to cross the magma flows through magic and strength in the face of blistering heat, many perish.
Those chosen who survive use raw magic to form a living mask of magma fusing it with their faces, the new rank of Beserkr is born, warrior wizards of the Suneaters.

With his now diminished Gullveig army renamed the Fyreklaw Tribe, Prophet starts to subdjugate the other Ogor tribes, raising a larger army ready to make war against the cities of order. With each tribe conquered a sacrafice is made to the Suneater, each sacrafice increasing the power of the Prophet aswell as his legend across the realm.

Fyreklaw tribe moves through Ghur leaving a trail of destruction, great beasts of burden travelling in their wake bearing the supplies for the tribe that never settles or makes camp. Great pyres are erected to the glory of the Suneater amidsts the corpses of those who stood against them

Grots flock to the new Suneater tribe seeking the elevation that Gothi now benefits from, those “touched by the gods” become a new rank of Gothi Fyri priests to the prophet, others become the Ashen grots worshipping the might of the Suneater.

Half the tribes in the region eventually fall under the sway of the Suneater, the other tribes send their champions to the “Suneaters Maw” seeking elevation for one of their own to form a rival tribe. All but one champion die in the desert or are driven so mad as to become feral (creation of the Svangur chosen), but the last returns a weaker version of the Great Prophet.
The two great tribes clash in the plains beneath “Morks Toof” volcano, titanic battle of Ogors and Grots each bringing great beasts, priests, magic and might to bear. As battle reaches climax the volcano erupts in the Suneaters amusement at the battle, a vast magmaflow divides the two forces.

Sensing opportunity the Great Prophet declares it a sign from the God, claiming his rival as Volsungr, chosen of the suneater to lead a new tribe of Suneaters the Maw Pyres.
Maw Pyres march into Aqshy to lead the assault against order there, the rank of Volsungr is born as is a new Suneater tribe.

Seeing the new flaming maw spell its sparked the concept of converting a new version on the torso of the Stonehorn, so heres my take on a Fyrehide for the Suneater Tribes, crewed by Savage Ogors wielding volcanic blunderbusses

fyrehide-beastriders.jpg

Finally got to play a game with my Suneaters yesterday in a very non competitive matchup against my partners Aelves, both lists had tweaks to rules for narrative purposes so in terms of balance against official rules obviously there is little telling from the game, but from a rough feel, play and tactical standpoint here's my thoughts. To start with the lists:

SUNEATER TRIBES

HEROES

Volsungr on Magma Drake (620)
(GENERAL)
Command Trait: Troll Blooded
Spell: Fireball

Gothi Fyri (80)
(PRIEST)
Prayer: Judgement of the Suneater
Artifact: The Elusive Spark

Gothi Fyri (80)
(PRIEST)
Prayer: Volcanic Blows

BATTLELINE

20 Ashen Grots (130)
Sparkbearer
Standard Bearer
Spears and Shield

20 Ashen Grots (130)
Spark Bearer
Standard Bearer
Burning Bows

Gullveig Ogors (120)
Bellower with  Two Handed Weapon
Clubs and Shields
Crusher
Totem Bearer

OTHER

1 x Svaangur (60)

WARMACHINES

Pyre Belcher (180)

BEHEMOTHS

Slatr Warbeast (300)

TOTAL 1700

AELORAN NOMADS

HEROES

Lord on Black Dragon (320) (Dreadlord on Black Dragon)
General

Sorceress on Griffon (260) (Battlemage on Griffon)

Lord on Wyldmare (240) (Akhelian king on Deepmare)

BATTLELINE

Aeloran Reavers (160)
5 x Ellyrian Reavers

Aeloran Reavers (160)
5 x Ellyrian Reavers

Glade Guard (120)
10 x Glade Guard

OTHER

Forest Shades (200)
10 x Shadow Warriors

Aeloran Chargers (220)
3 x Stormcast Palladors (Javellins)

Gryph Hound (40)

TOTAL - 1720

The only modification to the Aelven sides is to share common keywords (Aelf, Aeloran Nomads) instead of the scroll original race and faction tags and similar adjust the lord on dragons command trait to match. This in part is done to balance against the Suneaters faction where they are a single faction and in part so my other half has a faction she enjoys playing and is personalised to her (Animals, Archers, Aelves).

So to the game, it was a resounding win to the Suneater tribes which is not all that surprising given how much more I have played the game than Charlotte, indeed it would likely of taken alot of poor luck not to come away with the win no matter what the mission.

The pyres abilities.... I used 1 alot because I was against an all archer force and I believe reducing her accuracy had a huge impact on the survivability of some of my larger units, I cannot stress enough there is no hiding the Volsungr on Magma Drake or the Slatr warbeast anywhere on a normal table, the added height of the totem pole and catapults respectively means if you're on the board you can see them and for this reason they tanked alot of damage. Due to an aggressive playstyle on both side Pyres 2 and 3 were less useful, running and shooting would of been nice if I hadnt been charged at the top of turn 2, and the ability to reroll charges was similarly lacklustre. However pyre 4 of healing and boosting heroes came at an ideal time, putting it so high up the list seemed like a rough start for Suneaters when I planned it but its really staged that when you desperately need that healing on your big characters it comes shining through. Not a single pyre went out during the game and both priests managed to pray for more fire every turn so I was rocking up well through the pyre tiers. However I find myself finding the little card tokens I used for pyre quite lacklustre, I feel bigger, more impressive and more importantly 3d pyre tokens will be needed in future when I figure out how to make them.

Command ability - I played it safe here, troll blooded for a commander on magmadrake is a guaranteed wound back a turn, not enough to turn the tide but if my pyres and prayers failed it'd keep him in the game a bit longer. The lowest he got was 7 wounds remaining but managed to get back to 11 wounds remaining by games end due to various healing means. Not an overpowered command ability but nothing to really brag about either.

Prayers... not much to say here, other than praying for fire I ran volcanic blows on one priest that he failed to get off at all in the entire game, perhaps I positioned him poorly so he couldnt take advantage of the prayer boost when near pyres or putting it at a 5 or more on a single D6 was too rough a praying value. Only time will tell. The other priest prayed successfully to heal the commander and managed it just fine.

Spells -... fireball, it burnt stuff, literally one aelf caught the bad end of it in the entire game, I completely forgot about the generals unique spell but spent every turn mystic shielding him and then once managed to arcane bolt a gryph dog in the face so that was a comforting moment. I could of played it better on the spell front but it did was was needed.

Relics - Stuck it on a grot priest, played too conservatively with him so never really got a good gauge of it.

So onto the units, this is obviously a single game, a narrative game so its just my feeling on the models really at this stage and how they panned through:

Volsungr on Magma Drake (620) - Ok so this guy wrecked alot of face, but not due to the hero on it, to be perfectly honest the extra 100 points to put the hero on made little impact on the game and an unridden magma dragon could of likely perfomed as well. Words cannot express how much my girlfriend hated playing against the magma dragon, he killed her Griffon, Gryph Charger, got off a lucky bout of flame that killed all 10 shadow warriors in one go, burnt a glade guard with fireball and was generally absorbing most of her firepower all game. I benefitted from the fact it was mostly low or no rend shots and I think a mortal wound list would of taken him down much faster so time will tell. All in all i'm happy with his capabilities and felt his cost was reasonable for effectiveness.

Gothi Fyri - The priests did exactly what they were meant to, each baby sat a unit and prayed for more pyres, with one essentially playing medic to the Magma Drake throughout the game. I played both very cautiously but neither took any damage throughout the game. See above for the prayers but for useful little characters especially with how command abilities pan out in AoS2 I'm happy with them

BATTLELINE

Ashen Grots - Neither unit performed spectacularly but both were tasked with babysitting objectives so thats to be expected. The highlight was the Black dragon breathing noxious gas onto my archer unit, it killed 6 of them, 8 fled to battleshock of which 4 the sparkbearer set on fire and dealt mortal wounds to the black dragon. Its a really fun mechanic and makes me wish I'd bigger units to play more aggressively just to torch people as they died. They made me laugh in the game and did their jobs but definately need bigger units in future to see full impact.

Gullveig Ogors - No dramas and no fireworks. They play like ogors with a special weapon and hammered some stag riders through the floor.

OTHER

1 x Svaangur - Will likely be removed from the battletome, he doesnt do that much, he feels a little out of pace with the rest of the army and just... I dont know I cant really feel him. He is one of three entries likely to be cut to make room for some tactical gaps I found during the game which I will go into more detail in below. For now he arrived, failed a charge, then the magma dragon took out his intended target, so he got shot and died. 

WARMACHINES

Pyre Belcher - Love it in so many ways its wrong, the grots managed to wedge him up in the second story of a building and even though he is just a clone of the squig gobba he was fantastic. Got 12 shots off in the first round which decimated the Aelf on Seahorse model, torching him off of the board and then spent the next 2 turns picking off palladors and reavers to his hearts content. Lots of fun, massive random swings with both variable shot numbers and damage but now I definately want 2.

BEHEMOTHS

Slatr Warbeast (300) - I played him all wrong, going in too aggressive he took a charge in the beginning of turn two and spent the rest of the game locked in combat unable to fire the catapult with the grots never managing to hit anyone with the burning oils. I whiffed many of the rolls in combat to be honest and he's pretty good in combat if you can roll dice. My highlight was the fact that 2 of the 3 palladors lost their final wound (on different turns) to various bits of scrap being thrown by the grot crew, they could dodge a giant but not a wrench.

SO TO THE TOME EDITS

Currently looking at removing:
Gothi Fyri on Magmadroth (cant stand the model, doesnt fill a void) to replace with GOTHI HERALD ON CARRION DRAKE (Conversion on the winged nazgul model) the force needs more speed and hit and run units so I'm looking to create a fast herald with a charge and retreat mechanic, essentially riding a weedy scavenger dragon that feasts on the corpses left in the wake of the suneater tribes. The carrion drakes cry mimicks the death cry it hears across the battlefield making facing one incredibly uncomfortable, he'll be fast and stabby but lack resilience and rely more on hit and run and eating dead models (read as models who lose their final wound to him).

Svangur - Just didnt feel him to be honest, he doesnt fill a useful void well enough to be included and i cant see how to fix him and fit to them. to replace with GROT GOADERS WITH SALAMANDER. Short range fire power, mad grots prodding and irritated salamander with a big stick whilst banging a drum behind it. Its more characterful, fits the theme better and fills a void (high damage, short range attacks) in the list.

Mighty Slatr - Playing the list showed me one thing, any bigger models wont work on the battlefield. The concept was nice but it really was challenging to move the models I have let alone one twice the size. Perhaps in an army without other big monsters it'd work but from a tactical and fun standpoint would be too cumbersome. To be replaced with SCORCH CHUKKAS ramshackle catapults in crude wooden flames,  these engines spread flame and disarray in the enemies ranks, whilst not high damage would provide a cheap range unit to hammer enemies with on the approach with their damage getting better if enemies are near pyres.

To anyone that read this far thank you!

Concept scroll for Herald on Carrion Drake:

gothi-herald-on-carrion-drake.jpg

ashen-salamander-and-keepers.jpg

burnin__0027-bomb-catapult.jpg

30 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

hey Melcavuk, I was wondering if you have any  aldrin draken converted, if so which models did you use?

Hi, I’m currently waiting on those fancy new stormcast mounts as the base models to start my conversions. Having scoured the range for big reptile like creatures and come up short in terms of Ogor mounts the new ones from stormcast look best.

3 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Hi, I’m currently waiting on those fancy new stormcast mounts as the base models to start my conversions. Having scoured the range for big reptile like creatures and come up short in terms of Ogor mounts the new ones from stormcast look best.

cool

5 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

hi Melcavuk, I have recently started my own custom battle tome, and I was wondering if you could help me out. can you tell me where did you find the blank war scroll pages? 

Runebrush made a fantastic template:

https://runebrush.pa-sy.com//warscroll/

feel free to link your work in progress and I’ll happily keep looking and give feedback.

Redone the Bal Kasta scroll to leave leadbelchers the domain on Gutbusters. These heavily armoured ogors would be fielded in multiples of two and laden with all sorts of barrels and containers filled with Fyre powders from Aqshy. Beneath each heavy plated arm is a Fyreglass Bombard launching broken shards of volcanic glass at enemies unfortunate to be caught in its blast. Unable to attend their own weapons each hosts a veritable army of Grots to reload and maintain their weapons. (Base model will be Orruk mega boss)

B5B6C4F9-85AE-4359-B736-A9F8CBBF2D43.png

6 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Redone the Bal Kasta scroll to leave leadbelchers the domain on Gutbusters. These heavily armoured ogors would be fielded in multiples of two and laden with all sorts of barrels and containers filled with Fyre powders from Aqshy. Beneath each heavy plated arm is a Fyreglass Bombard launching broken shards of volcanic glass at enemies unfortunate to be caught in its blast. Unable to attend their own weapons each hosts a veritable army of Grots to reload and maintain their weapons. (Base model will be Orruk mega boss)

B5B6C4F9-85AE-4359-B736-A9F8CBBF2D43.png

I love the new changes to the unit! I kinda felt that just renaming the old unit is cheating, though I have one question; when you say the base model will be a Megaboss, does that mean that the unit won't be Ogor's or that it will be converted from a megaboss?

16 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

I love the new changes to the unit! I kinda felt that just renaming the old unit is cheating, though I have one question; when you say the base model will be a Megaboss, does that mean that the unit won't be Ogor's or that it will be converted from a megaboss?

The mega boss model has the bulk and muscle of an Ogor so by building out the armour with the stomach plating and replacing the head with the characterful ogor ones from my bits box they’ll become massive Ogors in armour

7 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

The mega boss model has the bulk and muscle of an Ogor so by building out the armour with the stomach plating and replacing the head with the characterful ogor ones from my bits box they’ll become massive Ogors in armour

Like this? ? works like a charm... This is Hartha, my frostlord...

73618D0B-E4CE-4A12-ACA7-5034D37F3585.jpeg.329518e914cf2964e2dae7baf0837b1d.jpeg

926ED15A-3853-4138-B0B7-40B3628A6F3D.jpeg.9f24f310025899abcf54417741635cdb.jpeg

47007183-868A-42A3-82D4-A3558FACAE09.jpeg.985b1c17006de3ca41170427217730da.jpeg

working on a mounted version too

7E4FDE6A-34BA-4E16-B5DD-A5B2B0B003A6.jpeg.2f0a54fc9370e65d577ac10898b70bfe.jpeg

cheers

AJ

Pretty much exactly like that :P

since mine will be fielded in twos I may end up cutting and shifting the pose slightly for variation and over burdening them with gun powder barrels but the core conversion will be similar

So looking at all the different factions having a unique character in them I’ve been mulling over what could serve as a pseudo named character for the Suneaters. I don’t like the concept of Gorkamorka him (them?) self taking to the battlefield as to my mind he is leading far greater a waaagh than could ever fit onto a gaming table. So taking inspiration from the Rogue Idol I’ve made the basis for a volcanic effigy of the Suneater fuelled by the gods immense power though entirely blinded by its rage with a Gothi minder sat atop its shoulder like some kind of twisted Grot conscience or a guiding hand. The question is should I make it a hero and give the Gothi his access to prayers or keep it as a slightly tweaked Rogue Idol but mark it as both unique and one per army? Here it is without the hero boost!

essentially in this incarnation it’s a Rogue Idol but that benefits Suneater units but can Extinguish pyres upon death due to dissipating strength of the Suneater.37585021-D3FA-4BC1-9475-DAEEA492FE8C.png.2f66e8deb90017ac153f9b4c107ff0b9.png

22 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

So looking at all the different factions having a unique character in them I’ve been mulling over what could serve as a pseudo named character for the Suneaters. I don’t like the concept of Gorkamorka him (them?) self taking to the battlefield as to my mind he is leading far greater a waaagh than could ever fit onto a gaming table. So taking inspiration from the Rogue Idol I’ve made the basis for a volcanic effigy of the Suneater fuelled by the gods immense power though entirely blinded by its rage with a Gothi minder sat atop its shoulder like some kind of twisted Grot conscience or a guiding hand. The question is should I make it a hero and give the Gothi his access to prayers or keep it as a slightly tweaked Rogue Idol but mark it as both unique and one per army? Here it is without the hero boost!

essentially in this incarnation it’s a Rogue Idol but that benefits Suneater units but can Extinguish pyres upon death due to dissipating strength of the Suneater.37585021-D3FA-4BC1-9475-DAEEA492FE8C.png.2f66e8deb90017ac153f9b4c107ff0b9.png

A giant flaming Rogue Idol sounds amazing! maybe he should have a magma running down his back. As for a special character, How about the first volsungr?

The current aim for the model is:

Rogue idol body, arms and legs
Plague Furnace burning Orb head, smaller burning totems across various parts of body
Stonehorn mask on the burning Orb for face
Greyseer with a grot head and staff stood on the shoulder as the Gothi Minder.

For the first Volsungr it hits to the issue I have with named character in general, most battles seem too small for someone of their legend to be involved in (Gods fighting minor skirmishes when in truth they should each have thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers and guards etc) 

Archived