Suneater Tribes Battletome WIP: Full rules Pg6

Melcavuk

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

When reviewing the unit choices for the faction I kept coming up against the lack of an Elite melee unit for the Tribes, something that could both encompass the themes of the army whilst managing to cover that current deficit. I went through a few unit concepts before coming up with the following background:

FYREBORN FANATICS
WIthin the tribes of the Suneaters thereism uch superstistion and ritual surrounding the worship of their destructive god, from the roaming Nomads of the Shattersoul planes who grind the bones of their victims into a warpaint to annoint themselves, to the Grakjaw savages who rip every teeth from their mouths that they might not serve the dark god Nagash with zombie bite should they fall in battle. One particularly proliferent ritual has begun to arrise in the aftermath of the wars in Shyish, as the gothi priests witnesses the raw power contained in the Realm stones they began to experiment with ways to utilise it within the tribes, many ogors falling victim to their experiment after promises of ascendance in the favour of the Great Suneater.

With time and the passing of many souls the Gothi have mastered the art of blending small traces of Realmstone with the potent fyre powders of Aqshy in a highly volatile alchemical powder, in the dark nights before battle commences they burn these concoctions in urns within the great tent of the Prophet, one by one the tribal elite enter to inhale the vapours produced, the energies of the realm rippling through their every vein as their bodies begin to harmonise with the vibrations of the realm around them. In this way these champions of the tribes become living manifestations of the battlefield, their every step in tune with the elements around them, each inhereting a small portion of the arcane power from the realmstone they consume and manifesting unique mutations to match. Those who undergo the process are armed with the finest of Magma Wrought blades from the Gothi armoury, relics of the tribes that have seen many masters in their time, great slavers leading these champions into battle with serpentine lashes wrought of living flame to drag victims back to the Gothi for "Testing"

Whilst many of these champions perish as the battle commences, their bodies riddled with the unstable concoction and giving way unto death others find themselves all the stronger for it, harnessing the arcane power to summon forth great belching torrents of fire to scorch those who cross their path. When the power leaves their form the begin to crave it, often unable to leave the realm they became attuned to without feeling weakened beyond memory. Such addition gives the Gothi Priests leverage, mixing small amounts of alchemical powders to keep these Fanatics as their own personal champions and private killers.

fyreborn-fanatics.jpg

The story for these guys is Amazing! What models do you plan to use?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, working on using the Minotaur models converted to be more Ogorlike (headswap, hair trim, boots sculpted on) with the Thaumateurge converted to be the unit champion. The tattoos will be all painted on and coloured to the realm so the first batch will likely be for Ghur so earthy/bloody colours for the tattoo marking with the usual flammable colouring on weaponry. Lash I can make out of greenstuff for the champion.

Now that I have the stats for a Dracoline I've editted the Aldin Draken scroll to match their feral Dracoline (Draken) mounts, its a sideways change as they lose the beak attacks but their claws are more potent on the charge and gain the roar bravery debuff so points will remain constant.

397178575_aldin-draken(2).jpg.7a44e0213bf26c87284d587c2b5399d1.jpg

Also took the time to play around with cover art for the Battletome (logo obviously just there as a place holder, this is unofficial etc), cant draw but the background looks nice:

cover.jpg.e0ffe30de75ab342ff765dbe6b309781.jpg

5 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Now that I have the stats for a Dracoline I've editted the Aldin Draken scroll to match their feral Dracoline (Draken) mounts, its a sideways change as they lose the beak attacks but their claws are more potent on the charge and gain the roar bravery debuff so points will remain constant.

397178575_aldin-draken(2).jpg.7a44e0213bf26c87284d587c2b5399d1.jpg

Also took the time to play around with cover art for the Battletome (logo obviously just there as a place holder, this is unofficial etc), cant draw but the background looks nice:

cover.jpg.e0ffe30de75ab342ff765dbe6b309781.jpg

These are amazing!

So what would make a good named character for the faction, I have a unique unit in the Exalted Volsungr but each can be tailored to the Tribe they walk with via command traits. Working on the background for the first named character for the faction I've looked into various aspects of the current setting and integrating in his background to the Soul Wars:

surt__0027ar-__002d-the-first-prophet.jpg.f18323e1ef9ff710dbfaac18429e9d14.jpg

The First Prophet disappeared from the tribes millennia ago, stories circulate around his exact reasons why but no Ogor could truly speak to what filled the mind of such a mighty champion of the Suneater. Most assumed he marched forth to the first Pyre, much in the same way the other ancient prophets have done that they might prepare for the final battle at the side of their mighty God, though none returning from the Pyre speak of the First Prophet. In truth his rampage outgrew even the mighty tribes of the Suneaters, he was stronger and faster than any of his kin, his hunger for battle outlasted any of the savage soldiers who fought at his side, he could march for days when lesser mortals had to stop to rest. One by one his migration fell out of step with the great Prophet, they were left to wage war in his wake and decimate those civilizations too small to face the wrath of the mighty one.

It was an alliance of Aelves and Sylvaneth who stunted this rampage, though the battle waged long into the winter seasons it was as the weather began to grow cold and the great flames of his forms waged war with the icy elements that the alliance of Order began to gain the upper hand. Grew flocks of the frostheart Phoenix flew high above the Magma drenched gargant, a swirling tempest of lashing ice and snow caged him in. Great war beasts of the Aelven empire dragged mighty chains forth, raised high by the Arcane powers of their masters to lock onto the rampaging Prophets limbs, inch by inch his volatile form was dragged forth, his feet digging deep into the battle worn fields as he lashed out at his would-be captors with massive blows of his flame wreathed weaponry.

It was with a final roar of contempt that the Prophet was pulled from the field of battle, sent tumbling down into a darkened chasm with even the brilliant light of his form disappearing into the darkness of the depths. Yet the Aelven empires knew that such a creature could not truly be killed by such trivial means, at best they could cage him until a weapon could be forged to slay the great beast, and for this their greatest sorcerers set to work shaping the very landscape around them to become a cage hewn from nature. Three great rivers were rerouted through the realm, the dirt roiling upwards and great tracts carved through the hillside, sending their murky waters tumbling into the great chasm to quench the flames of the Prophets rage, hissing gouts of steam spitting upwards into the skies above. Time has long since forgotten the battle, and the prisoner since caged, pilgrims even starting to reverse the geyser of Ghyran as a holy site of Alarielle interpreting its hissing as divinations of their gods will.

It is only the Oracles of the Phoenicium that remember the true purpose of the Prison, each an ageless Aelf blinded to the world around them locked within a chamber in the very heart of their enigmatic city, they stand in a pool of the holy restorative waters of Alarielle each an embodiments of the rivers that feed into the Chasm, their great powers soothing the mind of the First Prophet into slumber though even this is wracked by violent nightmares that seek to shake him back to consciousness. Whispers however have begun to arise in the Phoenicium in recent days, as the reverberations of the Necroquake of Nagash reverberated throughout the realms some say the chamber has cracked... one by one the Oracles are beginning to feel the strain as the ancient wards now broken by the seam of a fissure in their chamber begin to break down, their very bodies wracked by the unending flames of the Suneater as his now waking champion strains against the bonds that have held him for an Age.

Deep within the lost forests of Ghyran there is more worrisome news, the water levels of three rivers that forged a winding path through the hills of the Realm have dropped, with every passing day less water reaches the chasmic prison of the Prophet. And those Pilgrims who visit the site no longer hear the whispers of Alarielle from the Geyser, instead they speak of a roar of endless rage and the clanging of chains...

Reading through the 2.0 releases and seeing the new allegiance abilities coming out I've been reviewing the rules as written for the Suneaters, by and large the rules I have written so far seem to have come through the process OK without any glaring issues. In some places with all the forgeworld changes to their warscrolls there is now definite differences between my scrolls as written and their original forgeworld Origins:

Volsungr on Magma Drake - Forgeworld magmadrake took a 20 point increase, Volsungr at 620 will not be changing
Exalted Volsungr - Rogue Idol got alot of changes, notably most random values removed. I have now done similarly with the Exalted
Pyre Belcher - Squig Gobba took alot of changes, range has increase and the random values are now gone, the same will happen with the Pyre Belcher to match.

I've also relooked at summoning, and my earlier attempt to fit it into the faction felt hamfisted so its simply been removed.

Finally the allegiance abilities, most modern factions have come with two (Tides and Nightmares for the Idoneth etc) so I've spent alot of time going over what it is that could make the Suneaters allegiance useful but not glaringly overpowered. This is alot more challenging than I had originally thought given that alot of the niches I wanted are very similar to the new night haunt ones or already covered in the Pyres rules. Currently looking at:

ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES

All Consuming Flame: The Suneaters do not simply bombard a foe with rocks and arrows like lesser races, every attack sends great gouts of flame, burning oils or incendiary devices down the field as much waging war on the very lands around them as they do the foe. Enemy Model may not benefit from COVER against a Suneater Tribes ranged attack, every would be shelter soon descending into a fire drenched tomb.

FEEDING THE FLAME: Before either army deploys on the battlefield select one piece of TERRAIN and place a single INFERNO MARKER, it is possible for other INFERNO MARKERS to be placed throughout the game through abilities or artefacts, when placing an INFERNO MARKER, it must be placed wholly within a terrain feature and not within 6 inches of another INFERNO MARKER. Each turn you may enact the below rule in your hero phase:

PYRES OF THE SUNEATER

In your hero phase count the number of INFERNO MARKERS currently on the battlefield and select an army wide ability from the chat below. You may select one ability to enact until your next hero phase up to the number of pyres you have (you may select a lower number ability if you wish) to channel the favour of the Suneater. Only one such Pyre Ability may be in force at any one time.

Once an ability has been enacted roll a D6, on a roll of 1 you must remove 1 INFERNO MARKER from the battlefield as it is drained of its energies.

INFERNO MARKERS

ABILITY

Choking Smoke – With the smoke from the Pyre hanging low over the battlefield the Suneaters can conceal themselves with ease. Until your next Hero Phase, subtract 1 from any attacks targeting a SUNEATER TRIBES unit in the shooting phase

The Leaping Flame – Until your next Hero Phase SUNEATER TRIBE models may re-roll failed charge rolls this turn, in addition any successful charge that rolls a 9+ immediately inflicts 1 mortal wound on an enemy unit within 3 inches.

The Roaring Blaze – SUNEATER TRIBE units may run and shoot, or run and charge for the duration of this turn. A unit may not elect to do both however.

Undying Embers – SUNEATER TRIBE HEROES immediately heal D3 wounds, additionally increase the attack characteristics of their weapons by 1 until your next hero phase.

5 or more

Shimmering Heat – Until your next hero phase SUNEATER TRIBE units that suffer a wound or mortal wound may ignore them on a D6 roll of 5+ this turn as the heat of the blaze warps away otherwise mortal blows.

6 hours ago, Izikail said:

This is sickeningly good work. Well done. You are better and more motivated then i ever could be

Cheers, when a project is motivating enough its surprising what can get done. If you have any faction you feel the game is missing then making it yourself can be really rewarding (plus this is my way of unwinding).

• 3 weeks later...

With the release of the Dracoline models finally on the cards its time to flesh out the Cavarly section of the Suneaters tome,  we've already seen the Aldin Draken tasked with guarding the tribes Prophet and putting down any beasts that go wild and put the migration at risk. So here's the other side of that unit, the Draken Kingslayers.

Every tribe conquered by the Suneaters becomes part of the greater migrations, with their hierarchy savagely destroyed and replaced with those loyal to the Suneaters chosen they are tasked with assailing enemy strongholds before the Migration itself arrives to finish the job. Some such armies can be led to question their loyalties to the Prophets, their lack of faith a truly disurbing atrocity that cannot be allowed to spread further throughout the tribes. To ensure such things are put down in short order the Draken Kingslayers are dispatched to keep a watchful eye over the Tyrants who have taken command of the subjugated legions, they are the handpicked of the Prophet and exact his will without question.

Draken Kingslayers carry into battle massive Kingslayer Gougers to butcher any heroes that stray in their path, with the Disciple tasked with leading them carrying a massive noose with which to snare their pray and drag them into the dirt. Each assignment of Kingslayers are sent a Fyreseer ogor, those blinded to the flesh of the realms and instead given sight of the raging realm of destruction of the Suneaters will, using such insight to channel the inner fires of their kin to enhance them beyond their physical means.

draken-kingslayers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, its was fantastic to get asked to do the articles and have someone else photographing my models for a change :P The community team are a fantastic bunch and was a great experience. Now I just need to try and get all my projects to the point to spark their interest!

Archived