The Suneater Tribes Ogors and Aeloran Nomad Aelves now revisited for the Living City (19/09/19)

Melcavuk

Many of you (hopefully) will have seen my Suneater tribes Ogor projects floating about in recent weeks as part of my most recent push for a narrative force. I see alot of debate going on about the redundancy of narrative or open play as pointed games take priority but to me the narrative aspect of the hobby is one close to my heart, the most joy I can derive from the hobby is from the story aspect growing and shifting in the course of battles or prolongued campaign. Its how my favourite custom faction (Fire Aelves - Aeloran Guard) formed and shifted into the faction I have enjoyed most to date (if you havent seen them they're really worth checking out).

But for my Ogors to work they need an antithesis, an enemy that stands for everything they dont, so my other half has been steadily working away on her own faction to clash with mine, nature aelves with a myriad of beasts to defend the realm of Ghur from total destruction and flame. The most recent creations are the Ellyrian Reavers counts-as from the Stag riders, and a new leader converted from the Idoneth kit (Joining sorceress on griffon and lord on dragon, and then 10 conversions to do on the reavers into glade guard, 5 more ellyrian reavers conversions to do and 10 shadow warriors)

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 14

And because the exciting new release was just more Stormcast...

Here's my Svangur, ogors who wandered the desert searching for enlightenment from the Suneater driven mad by the blistering sun. They wandered too far and too long, reaching realms edge where the warping powers eroded their form, they emerge mishapen, feral and accursed with ravenous hunger, it is only through the Gothi Fyri that these savages can be kept in check on the battlefield.

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cheers guys, we're gearing up slowly to a 1750 points aside match at WHW once her force is assembled (which should happen over this weekend) which gives us a chance to figure out how our forces play to shape a narrative campaign to follow. Each armies growth from that point onward will be shaped by the campaign as it changes and evolves the armies, every mission result or choice will lead to modelling opportunities or restrictions (choose not to defend the beastherd, not adding another beast into my Ogor army that month, hit maximum pyre markers in a match it'll be time to make incendiary grot fanatics).

This is charlottes first converted army after having placed silver on armies in parade with her Sylvaneth a couple of years back so i'm lending my abilities in the conversions where needed to help shape them better to her vision, it takes alot of restraint to be hands off with the fine detailing work as I'm a bit of a controlfreak when it comes to modelling and a terrible teacher (in my head some things just... work) but its a great way of growing two armies at the same time that lean into each other well (nature and balance vs fire and destruction)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, syph0n said:

Those helms are fantastic. I'm unfamiliar with them, where are they from?

Wildriders, if you're building the sisters on the stage instead you get the masks spare (the hair I had spare because my wild riders were converted to ellyrian reavers)

Had a good day today testing out my Suneater Ogors against my partners Aeloran Nomads at Warhammer World, As much fun as it was testing out the two lists to figure out how well they play it eventually devolved into a systematic annihilation of the aelves but the Magma Dragon. Lesson learned the next Aelf conversions will be a more robust leader model (black dragon doesnt stand up to much by comparison to the ogor characters) and some decent ranged artillery (bows are too small arms against some monsters, I'm thinking aelven conjurors raising shard filled plants and flying the shards down the field)

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Looks like great fun. What size base have you used for the black dragon? 

Cheers it was a good day, The base is a spare 120mm oval i had sat in my random parts drawer.

And for todays work:

Introducing the latest conversion for my Suneater Tribes: The Gothi Herald on Carrion Drake (Technically wyvern).

Some Gothi priests can be seen riding to battle atop a weedy scavenger dragon known to feast on the corpses left in the wake of the suneater tribes known as the Scorch. The Carrion Drake is a lesser dragon in the realms, lacking in the brute strength of its greater kin and unable to produce volatile breath to drench its foes it instead finds its feasts in the wake of greater creatures, using its acidic maw to burn through cloth, armour and stone to feast on what meats the other predators could not reach. Its cry mimicks that of the deathwails of its victims, known for capriciously toying with its food before it feasts, often if it can seperate a weakened mortal from their people it will strike and retreat, leaving rents gouged in their flesh and relishing the scent of their blood spilling into the dirt as they try and make good an escape.

Time and time again it will claw at its victims until eventually sweeping from on high to feast. It is said the first Gothi to ride a carrion drake subdued it quite by accident, when scavenging weapons and armour from the corpses left in the Scorch the grot opted for an impromptu break to consume mushrooms to sait a growing appetite (and due to immense laziness), cracking open the breastplate of a fallen human soldier he packed it full of mushrooms before starting a blaze beneath the corpse, relishing the scent of fresh meat blending with the narcotic smokes of the mushrooms. Alerted from his mushroom induced stuppour by the cry of a carrion drake above the little grot scuttled across the ground, secreting his small form in a crevice between two rocks and uttering a shocking array of curses as he was left to watch the serpentine dragon feast on his meal. However as the acidic maw sunk into the crumpled breastplate the vicious liquids merged with the mushrooms, the two combining into a heady haze of madcap madness which was quickly followed by the resounding thud of the now unconcious drake landing on the ground beside it.

The Gothi saw he opportunity, this new beast would raise him high above the other grots, its guaranteed status, respect (for a grot atleast) and most of all meant he'd be a good distance further away from getting stabbed, shot, sat on, fallen on or generally crushed on the field of battle

gothi-herald-on-carrion-drake.jpg

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Damnnnn lovely. I want to get a fell beast for my new nighthaunt

It’s a nice kit to play with. I had debated replacing the head with a hydra one but having gotten my hands on it I liked it as it was. 

Early Stage painting WIP

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Your progress is unreal. The speed of airbrushing I guess! 

Meanwhile, I spent 3 hours this morning mostly painting spines, claws and gold sections of 12 drakespawn a basecoat of brown. 

How many hours went into this one so far @Melcavuk

Cheers, the speed of my painting is heavily impacted by how much of a grind I find the models. I’ve got 33 Grots to paint I keep putting off before I hate painting large units but they fit the theme.

I think I bought him at 2pm yesterday. Between build and painting I’m feeling roughly 10 hours work (not counting drying time etc, thats 10 hours with a brush or tool in hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK that puts me more at ease! I'm not as fast, but to know that's 10 hours worth of painting makes me feel less useless. 

I feel you about the grind. Working through rank and file gets very monotonous. I've only just really got into batch painting. 

• Like 1

Nature aelves are best aelves! Awesome to see someone make some proper Wanderer archers :) out of the Namarti Reavers, those models are my favorite from the Deepkin range and your conversions are fantastic! Super inspiring progress you've made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1