The Suneater Tribes Ogors and Aeloran Nomad Aelves now revisited for the Living City (19/09/19)

Melcavuk

To be honest the Aelves factional beasts seem a tad underpowered against anything released in recent days. Stardrakes and Mawkrusha both getting cheaper highlights that issue as they already point for point were better than the Aelven beasts (would love to see the Carmine dragon associated with a new Aelf faction).

Oh of course on the cover! I don't normally run any monsters in my current list so I'd forgotten that one. Yeah 2.0 should limit the use of Mystic shield on him too. 

I wasn't saying he was under costed (I hadn't even spotted a points cost) I was just saying with that profile don't expect much to survive contact with it, like Archaon many armies would be restricted to trying to tarpit it with chaff and complete objectives around it.

On the strength of Aelven monsters don't underestimate paired Frostheart Phoenixes with some mage support- there's a reason they appear in a number of tournament winning mixed order lists (along with the dragonmage) and if they don't get a cost increase in GHB2018 I'll be shocked. 

The flaming Phoenix should work well if his revival is just a command point in 2.0 (assuming here) rather than paying the cost again. For me the phoenixes sit in the same weird void as the arachnok, the ridden versions are flat better but cost the same. I like their Phoenix scrolls but the model strikes me as overly rigid 

32 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

On the strength of Aelven monsters don't underestimate paired Frostheart Phoenixes with some mage support- there's a reason they appear in a number of tournament winning mixed order lists (along with the dragonmage) and if they don't get a cost increase in GHB2018 I'll be shocked. 

eh depends on the mage. 

27 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

The flaming Phoenix should work well if his revival is just a command point in 2.0 (assuming here) rather than paying the cost again. For me the phoenixes sit in the same weird void as the arachnok, the ridden versions are flat better but cost the same. I like their Phoenix scrolls but the model strikes me as overly rigid 

On that note, why is this the case? I understand these units haven't had the near constant FAQ some factions have had but still.

22 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

eh depends on the mage.

Not many bad choices- all mages trigger the armour buff and all mages have mystic shield. The archmage bubble and Loremaster hand of glory both work fine and the dragon mage ability to cast twice is enough on it's own.

Got ahold of my partners "Proper camera" since I managed to crack the lense on my iphone camera (sad days) here's what I could pull together in terms of proper shots of finished units for my Suneater tribes so far, other than these I have 4 finished ashen grots (36 left to paint), another catapult, the Waaghkart totem, and 7 gullveig to paint but built:

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

• Like 8

Work in progress on the first of my Bal Kasta, alot of neating up needed at this stage but I think the concept is starting to come together.

Bal Kasta -

The Bal Kasta (Also known as Akursed) are Trophies of the Volsungr, taken from the firstborn of conquered tribes these massive Ogors would be contendors for Tyrant one day in any other Ogor migration, insread in the Suneater tribes they can never hold rank or power. Those tribes who refuse the enlightenment of the Suneater, too blind to see the true path to glory, and who are too weak to avoid subdjugation by a Suneater migration swell within the ranks of the Gullveig of the tribe. But these tribes are hidden from the Burning Gaze of their mighty god, they are not viewed as foes of the Suneater (such a status would make them fearsome indeed), they simply no longer exist in his eyes and therefore can never recieve his blessings. As such the flame still burns them as it would never burn a true disciple of their god, they cannot belch forth his devouring fires nor summon the pyres to his glory.

Such is the curse of the Bal Kasta, they will live their entire lives in the service of those chosen by their God but never live to see that power become theirs. Great Volsungr will have full regiments of Bal Kasta within their armies, a striking show of his dominance over the tribes as his fallen foes now serve at his whims in Battle, and in time some of these fallen champions may well be put to use. The Gothi Engineers of the tribes have long since mastered the Fyre Powders of Aqshy, using it to power their catapults payload and feed the mighty Pyre Belchers of the tribes, and whilst no true Son of the Suneater would disgrace himself with using it to mimick the mighty fire belch of the Beserkr there is little that Bal Kasta have to lose and many find themselves all too willing to try.

These brave (suicidal?) Balkasta have two mighty fire belching blunderbuss strapped beneath each arm, their form clad in beaten iron plating that mighty (probably not) resist the flame should the volatile alchemical mixture backfire onto them, each is attended to by their own compliment of Grots tasked with filling and reloading the fire belching cannons as the Ogors simply cannot use their hands for anything other than holding onto this fearsome arsenal. Those who live long enough in battle hope that in time, should their gods eyes fall upon them belching flame from these mighty cannons, they might earn his favour and be elevated from the rank of Bal Kasta, though such a thing is unlikely.

Tactics: Short ranged and at their best when immobile the best use for Bal Kasta is to use a Waaghkart to throw them up the battlefield, becoming a point defense unit on an objective you need secured and scorching any enemies that mighty dare to come close. The Bal Kastas ideal target is mid weight infantry though they are no slouches in horde control. Supported by a defensive line of Ashen Grots to take any charge these Ogors can then fire over their defenders in unrelenting barrages to fell oncoming units.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Very cool - think they could do with straps of some sort to hold the weapons to the arm. Looks a bit awkward as it is. 

Like the use of the shoulder skull. 

Yup they can indeed, I'm running low on greenstuff so going to get the base model done on both of them before I grab more greenstuff to flesh them out details

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

And two makes a unit!

We have the unit leader the Ignitor with his little grot banner bearer, and then the all too flamable Fyrestoker bearing an unreasonable amount of fire powders from Aqshy into battle

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

These are simply amazing, though now I realize I’ll have to make some name changes to  the Furnace Kings Furnace Stokers to avoid confusion?. What base are you using? is that shattered dominion?

It is indeed shattered dominion bases, I needed a tonne of the 40mm for my less armoured Gullveig (went with cost effective normal ogor models for the 6 latest ones, have a mechanic in mind to explain the more armoured variants) and the kit comes with a tonne of the 60mm which I can now use for Balkasta and Aldin Draken models.

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

It is indeed shattered dominion bases, I needed a tonne of the 40mm for my less armoured Gullveig (went with cost effective normal ogor models for the 6 latest ones, have a mechanic in mind to explain the more armoured variants) and the kit comes with a tonne of the 60mm which I can now use for Balkasta and Aldin Draken models.

Smart move, I had planned on using the ogryn  models when my store didn’t have any regular ogors, but an older player heard my plight and offered to sell me his army for 60$(it’s how I got a hold of Greasus Goldtooth).

WIP on number two Bal Kasta, both need detailing fleshed out but the core concept seems to be coming together. As part of the fluff evolution in their desperation to find the attention of the Suneater these Akursed Bal Kasta have been subjected to the most extreme of Gothi engineering, their unfavoured forms however prove poor vessels for the sheer power of their god being forced through them from Gothi incantations. The weakest of Bal Kasta burn alive, their god devouring their souls first and their bodies withering away after, but a rare few can endure the constant agonising torment, learning to crave its agony as a mark of recognition from a god that cannot stand their presence much less their prayers.

Balkastawip2.jpg

Exalted Volsungr makes even the Bal Kasta look tiny

IMG_3727.JPG.38c7886290ba2b5a96415118d7507e79.JPG

Edited by Melcavuk
  • Like 11