Let's chat: The Farstriders

Biboune

2 hours ago, Skyeline said:

I'm probably going to start tinkering around with running a variant on Malakree's setup without the Katophrane Relics (which I had no end of trouble trying to get up and running effectively every game, but I consider that due to my lack of practice with the deck). If nothing else I'm definitely going to try fitting in Dauntless, Sigmar's Finest, and Army of One to experiment with. 

The big thing is that you aren't actually trying to USE the relics. They are there for the various reroll on your huge dice pools.

Occasionally you will get 4 up and start drowning your opponent under power cards. Very rarely you will hit 6 and instantly win the game.

Realistically though I have no problems discarding them with an opening hand. You only super care about 3 which gives you a ton of leeway.

I'm glad you liked it, I definitely enjoyed building it then seeing peoples faces when you drop it on them ?

Currently playing around with a variation on the idea but need to see what comes in the leader pack. I think second in command is possibly the most underrated upgrade atm and it's only getting better.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

The big thing is that you aren't actually trying to USE the relics. They are there for the various reroll on your huge dice pools.

Admittedly I was actually just struggling with getting three relics up consistently. Again though, I'd chalk it up to a lack of practice with the deck.... and an embarrassing realization that I didn't understand how Masterstroke worked. Oops.

I actually want to give the deck one more weekend of play though since 6 of my 8 games with it were against agro stormcast. Getting to try it against a wider variety of warbands and decks would be nice.

Definitely enjoy it though! The deck raised eyebrows for the two opponents I played it against. In particular a Chosen Axes player wasn't expecting the 4 glory swing in turn 3 simply from Dauntless and Sigmar's finest when I was so outnumbered. Second In Command was only pivotal in one game for me, but I'm intrigued by it to say the least. I do expect that it's usefulness is going to shoot way up once that Leader Pack gets dropped on us. 

Katophranes seem pretty hard to justify after the cost increase. If you start slow and dont get a bunch of turn one glory you are going to be a bit starved and I definitely think damage boosting or defensive upgrades are more useful early on than katophranes especially if they are going to net you an early kill or prevent one of your guys from being one shotted. The relics are pretty average on their own in my opinion. 

I will definitely be giving those other cards a run in my list though. I love the synergy of Army of one, second in command and dauntless + sigmars finest. 

@Malakree Are you consistently scoring dauntless and sigmars finest? What matchups are you struggling to score this on? My meta seems to be running a lot of aggro such as skaven and magores so im thinking scoring these could be relatively easy. 

Edited by fishwaffle2232

1 hour ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

@Malakree Are you consistently scoring dauntless and sigmars finest? What matchups are you struggling to score this on? My meta seems to be running a lot of aggro such as skaven and magores so im thinking scoring these could be relatively easy. 

I have a really close matchup against what I would consider to be an almost fully refined Magores and I think if I stopped making a few mistakes with the deck (I average 1-3 a game) it would actually be very positive.

Skaven are the one deck I've struggled with/not managed to get locked down purely because I just haven't really faced them. The deck itself is a pretty demanding deck I feel and skaven just capitalises on your mistakes better than any other faction. Imo Skaven is probably the strongest warband atm when built/played correctly.

3 hours ago, Skyeline said:

In particular a Chosen Axes player wasn't expecting the 4 glory swing in turn 3 simply from Dauntless and Sigmar's finest when I was so outnumbered.

Aye, it's pretty funny. I've had a ton of people go "dafuq" then check the cards, then realise that yes I did just win from having my fighters die.

With regards to the Katophrane's, yes my current build has taken it out though I haven't had a chance to test the new variation yet. Specifically I spent about a month and a half building the deck THEN the katophrane's nerf hit as I finished tuning it. Removing the relics is a pretty huge change so I stuck with it, I don't think they are optimal anymore but they are oh so close and I don't really want to share to much of how I'm changing it so really the base build is where you guys are guna have to work from ;) I really don't want to go to a tourney to just have to face someone who has netdecked me with my own deck ?

41 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I really don't want to go to a tourney to just have to face someone who has netdecked me with my own deck ?

Well to be fair you'll never get a Californian showing up in your tournies waaay over there in the EU. So you know, just share all the secrets with me. Promise I won't tell anyone. ?

Joking aside, I absolutely get the intent behind being careful with your deck progress. GL with it! I'll be interested in hearing about whatever iteration you came up with after it wins you a solid spot in a tournament. ;)

35 minutes ago, Skyeline said:

Well to be fair you'll never get a Californian showing up in your tournies waaay over there in the EU. So you know, just share all the secrets with me. Promise I won't tell anyone. ?

Joking aside, I absolutely get the intent behind being careful with your deck progress. GL with it! I'll be interested in hearing about whatever iteration you came up with after it wins you a solid spot in a tournament. ;)

I can dream eh :D not having a solid gaming group to play against hurts because I can only test at tournaments. Means that I have to use the smaller ones to test iterations which puts a cap on how fast I CAN iterate. 

I have some games planned for tomorrow at my gaming club and Im thinking of testing out a few of your ideas in a different style of Deck.

Most of the guys I play against at the moment are running aggro decks, so I have kept that in mind when making my deck.

In theory Im hoping it will play out as mixed tempo. I have taken both supremecies and lots of movement shennanigans to try and get at least one off on turn 1 and to also help getting units inspired. 

Ive also included both sigmars finest and dauntless as a bit of a failsafe is ****** hits the fan or if I miss supremecy, in which case I play more aggressively to ensure try to get my opponent activates them. 

Ive got hero of one and second in command (may drop this) to try and at least keep one guy up and score destiny to meet and chosen champion. 

There are a few pretty easy to acheive instant scores and some really passive ones too. 

I think I will be going for a defensive setup in most situations. 

What Im not sure about is if i'm trying to do too much rather than having a single focus. Let me know what you think.  Also I dont yet have orruks or guard sets to pick cards from (got a few randoms).

I'd feel a bit hesitant to run a deck which has 2 sets of objectives that run mostly counter to the rest (the moment you lose a fighter, both supremacies are dead draws, whereas your other cards still promote getting into some fighting).

My gut tells me that double supremacy should warrant a fully defensive playstyle with a warband that can't afford to lose any fighters to score them, but I could be wrong. I built a hyper defensive double supremacy deck at one point but never actually gave it a shot on the table. Hearing about how your mixed objective deck fairs will be interesting!

I got the idea from ome of the guys on the claim the  city podcast who claims to be having success with 2 supremecies AND both tac supremecies. Has potential for very high scoring but like you said one death and both those objectives are done. 

It really does rely on having a supremecy in your hand turn one and spending that first turn to ensure you get it. If you do though a 6 point swing is hard to come back from. Especially if you go on to score some easy singles, sigmars finest and dauntless. 

**I've just swapped out second in command for deathly fortitude, so that my guy become much harder to one shot. 

Edited by fishwaffle2232

So got to test out the list. First couple of games were great. 

First game against reavers I drew both supremecies and alone in the darkness. Pushed him off and me onto my objectives with great concussion. Also score dauntless and sigmars finest later on for an easy victory. 

Second game against magores was similar but only with one supremecy in my starting hand. Scored both dauntless and sigmars finest again and won by about 5.

Played a multiplayer too, but didnt do well, magores just ran wild and scored pretty much all of their objectives.

In the games i played I didnt draw army of one once. So didnt get to test it unfortunately.

Overall the list was okay but my oponents decks were far from optimized. Too clunky for my liking for the reasons you already pointed out @Malakree.

I'm going to try running an aggro deck deck next. Not sold on second in command yet , I can see myself wanting another upgrade if i draw it at the wrong time which unless im drowning in glory, may be an issue. Also not sure about running both dauntless and sigmars finest, considering just running one. I have to see how often i am scoring them, might swap something else out like conquest. 

Having a lot of fun trying to work out farstriders though!

Edited by fishwaffle2232

14 minutes ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

I'm going to try running an aggro deck deck next. Not sold on second in command yet , I can see myself wanting another upgrade if i draw it at the wrong time which unless im drowning in glory, may be an issue. Also not sure about running both dauntless and sigmars finest, considering just running one. I have to see how often i am scoring them, might swap something else out like conquest. 

Specifically Second in Command is there to score victorious duel if farstrider dies and to ****** over people trying to do the same. It's definitely a choice my argument is that it's not garbage like most seem to assume, and I did as well at first.

Realistically there is quite a bit of wiggle room in all of the decks components and I suspect it will come down to how you individually play. Personally I was attempting to minimise the amount of 3rd end phase cards since I'm trying to score superior tactician and trying to maximise my scoring potential when I'm losing as the game at the moment is very much who gets ahead first in aggro mirrors.

My original post was made after looking at the thread and seeing people primarily ruminating on just how defensive farstriders should be. It was to give people an inspiration for a far more aggressive style of play which isn't scoring supremacy turn 1. I actually toyed with making a statement but found my playstyle just doesn't score it.

Will be interesting to see where people take it and I'm waiting eagerly for the new leader objectives. There's 2 slots in the objective deck that I have seriously struggled to fill.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since anyone posted. What are people having success with? Anyone trying anything new? 

Ive been having a lot of fun with aggro. Ive started running shattering terrain which has been great as an extra trap card plus synergises really well with ' my turn',  a mainstay for my farstriders over twist the knife.

Still trying to lock down magores but I have been having some success with sigmars finest and dauntless which was a good shout by some of you lads. Seem to score these in most games and they have quite often been the deciding factor against these guys. Im just not sure how great they will be against other warbands in a tournament setting, which I am yet to experience.

Curious to know what boards and setups people are using when playing aggro against aggro. I have been told that setting up two striders up front aggressively and one to the other flank or slightly back is a good tactic. Also have been told to play less aggressively and try to score passives early on against aggressive decks, so far all this seems to do though is put me into turn 2 with minimal guys inspired and therefore less survivability. Love to get some thoughts on this. 

Edited by fishwaffle2232

My Shadespire time took a dive over the last few weeks due to a painting contest/Soul Wars. I'll be trying to get some games in this weekend, though I suspect my usual opponents will be too busy running their new nighthaunts or sacrosanct chamber to notice Shadespire.  Can't say I blame them! The release of the new board and new cards should inject some life back into my local scene.

My attempts to play agro v. agro generally see me deploying with as much board connection as possible. More room to maneuver into their territory is important for me. I think your first turn placement should be dictated pretty heavily by your opening hand and the opponent's warband. 

Against Skaven for example I simply deploy way up. Their movement is going to get to me regardless of what I do and I'd rather start knocking out rats for glory ASAP.

On the flipside against Agro Stormcast I have a tendency to only put one farstrider in range of a turn 1 charge (Twist the Knife, Trap, Tireless Assault, and Righteous Zeal all make me wary of early 4-damage oneshots) and see if I can deny his ability to get any of his other fighters into combat. 

Running Daunt/Finest however does change the dynamic pretty considerably. The vast majority of my Farstrider games did not include Daunt/Finest, so I can't claim to be an expert around a deck featuring those cards. My gut tells me that unless your opening hand is simply awful that it's probably worth going full aggro straight from the onset knowing that you have Daunt/Finest in the deck.

I haven't had enough time to try it yet but, I think you are right about deploying aggressively. Against most aggro decks they are going to get to you at some point and if your guys arent inspired or upgraded by the end of turn 1-2 there is a bigger chance of them getting one taken out quickly once the opponent starts getting upgrades/inspires. 

I have another deck that I am hoping to give some time practising which takes alot more defensive upgrades and ploys to help reduce the early turn kills whilst still getting easy objectives. Its pretty aggressive but I have tried taking out dauntless and sigmars finest to see how it runs, it might stop me from being too careless with my farstriders.

- 12 Objectives -
208. Lightning Advance
234. Advancing Strike
235. Alone in the Darkness
243. Change of Tactics
244. Chosen Champion
247. Conquest
252. Defensive Strike
257. Escalation
272. Master of War
284. Precise Use of Force
289. Skirting Danger
293. Swift Advance

- 11 Ploys -
215. Lightning Blow
218. Rangers, Advance
219. Rapid Volley
329. Great Concussion
331. Hidden Paths
334. Inspiration Strikes
343. My Turn
347. Quick Thinker
348. Ready for Action
357. Shattering Terrain
369. Trap

- 12 Upgrades -
225. Flashing Handaxe
226. Furious Blow
227. Lone Warrior
228. Overcharged Boltstorm Pistol
231. Swift Stride
232. Well-timed Lunge
373. A Destiny to Meet
376. Awakened Weapon
384. Deathly Fortune
389. Great Fortitude
395. Incredible Strength
424. Tethered Spirit

I still need to cut out an upgrade but im not sure what I want to drop. I like the double fortitudes because I think they can really help stop guys getting one shotted. I also think defensive stuff is awesome to pile on eagle eye if you give him furious blow. 

On a side note. What do we think about the new board? Seems it may be awesome for a defensive a farstriders deck running some objectives. Especially now that there is a new universal rangers advance card to reduce the impact of enemy ploys pushing off objectives. Being able to push advancing enemies into trap hexes also seems nice especially when paired with stuff like shattering terrain and 'trap'. 

Im not sure though if we get the most benefit out of them. Skaven will be able to suicide guys to rez in enemy territory and orruks get easy turn 1 inspiration. Going to be an interesting shakeup to the meta I think. 

4 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

For the record, you don't need to cut out any upgrades. The rulebook states that no more than half of your power deck can be ploys, not that exactly half your power deck must be ploys. A mix of 11 ploys and 12 upgrades is perfectly legal.

Cheers, was already aware of that, im thinking more to increase the odds of getting the cards I need.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a crazy thought for a "conversion" for these guys. I don't really like the models, but I do kinda like their rules and the idea of running around the board shooting stuff. My thought was to use GW's Melusai Blood Stalkers as fill ins for my Farstriders. Even the leader has a little pet dragon thing on her arm to represent Farstrider's falcon. The other two members I would just add an axe/sword either in the medusai's hand or hanging on the hip. 

Is there any conversion rule that would not allow something like this in an official GW Shadespire tournament? I could unserstand why they wouldnt allow it as the entire warband would be totally different models, albeit still 100% GW.

17 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

I had a crazy thought for a "conversion" for these guys. I don't really like the models, but I do kinda like their rules and the idea of running around the board shooting stuff. My thought was to use GW's Melusai Blood Stalkers as fill ins for my Farstriders. Even the leader has a little pet dragon thing on her arm to represent Farstrider's falcon. The other two members I would just add an axe/sword either in the medusai's hand or hanging on the hip. 

Is there any conversion rule that would not allow something like this in an official GW Shadespire tournament? I could unserstand why they wouldnt allow it as the entire warband would be totally different models, albeit still 100% GW.

Great minds think alike lol

xSpcD5H.jpg

If you are concerned about identification you can always write the original names on the lip of the base,  My SCE warband is converted and I've never had a problem with it at tournaments.  I just explain to my opponent who's who beforehand and let them know that at any time they are confused to stop and ask me who is who. 

Hello,
I had my first game (and second) with the Farstriders yesterday, both times against Magore. It went well.
First a draw: My firsts objectives weren't great and I drew all the time only Upgrades. I only scored a draw with " A Destiny to Meet ".  I went into Enemy territory with one Strider and he got killed. The other dudes stayed behind.
Second a big win: the board was long, I stayed at the back. threw away my first Objectives, then it went just great. I had the right cards at the right time. Shot a Khorne guy, pushed him back in some "Traps". With the next Strider uses "hidden tracks" to go next to the Khorny, gave him the axe. He died (Obj: Precise Use of force) upgraded him "+2 Move" and played " Ready for Action " to sprint away.
No Khorny ever touched me. I always stayed in my terretory (only the one time with hidden tracks).
So, I have aa few Questions:
1. Is it a good rule to stay in my territory, even when Farstriders get inspired?

2. When I move in enemy territory and go with "redy for Action" away. Do I get Inspired? I thought: Ploys are played after the action phase, so The Strider endet the Ection Phase in the enemy territory. It didn't had any impact on my game yesterday.

What I realy loved: The second game the Farstriders played like the fluff! I#m all on Farstriders.

Not sure I understand your reply @Tutenkharnage and may directly impact how I play with the Fyreslayers. Just to make sure, if I play an earthquake in the power step of the last activation to put them into objectives, they become inspired because they finished the action phase on objectives, isn't it? 

@RafaBO I was responding to @JudgeFredd and his question about the Farstriders, not anything to do with the Chosen Axes. If you end the action phase with a dwarf on an objective, that dwarf becomes inspired. The power step occurs after each activation, and activations are part of the action phase, not the end phase. Hope this clears things up. 

Yes, I am aware this is  the Farstriders' thread (sorry for hijacking it!). I got his point wrong. I though he was using Ready for action to move into enemy territory in the power phase (and thus the reference to the Chosen axes), but upon a second reading, he is moving out from the Farstriders' inspiring condition before the end of the action phase. 

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts.

the phrasing on the cards of the farstriders and chosen Axes is Almost the same:

CA: this fighter Holds an objektive at the end of the Action phase.

fS: this fighter Ends an Action Phase in Enemy Territory.

has each fighter an action Phase, followed By the Power step? (I only have the german rules, so i thought i Go back to the source)

or is the Whole thing Where every fighter acts with all the Power phases the Action Phase?

Is this the right Place for the question? Ist moved from a Farstrider Topic to a General one.

Edited by JudgeFredd