New player - few stupid questions.

Archimedes

Hello everyone,

I'm new the the forum and AoS in general. I stopped collecting Warhammer when LotR had just started releasing.  I only really had a couple of friends that I played with and they all moved away so I just kind of dropped the hobby. We all used to have 10k armies as we really enjoyed the huge battle that could take all day.

One of my friends has recently moved back from the states and he has been collecting the whole time, and talking with him about it plus seeing the new models, I couldn't help but get sucked back in. I choae Death as my army as the models are great and I really like the lore.

Anyway,  to the point. My friend has said he want to do a big battle like we used to as he is used to only playing 1-2k games now. I have been looking over the forum and 2k seems to be limit for most people, so I was wondering if 5-10k can even be done? If so does any one have any suggestions on what a basic death list for that amount would be?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

P.S sorry for rambling.

It's certainly possible.

The game is balanced for 2K, so whatever happens at that level, well it just happens, even if it's a bit crazy.

You could just take 2x 2K lists and then fill up another 1k worth of points and that's 5K right there.

For Death specifically, you could make 2 different Mortarchs i.e. Arkahn & Mannfred, and theme your list around having different mini-themed armies within the same huge 5K list. That seems fun.

Death is limited in normal games because their heroes are expensive. If you take the large point route, you can have some unique battles with  both hordes, elites, and multiple behemoth heroes.

35 minutes ago, Bradifer said:

It's certainly possible.

The game is balanced for 2K, so whatever happens at that level, well it just happens, even if it's a bit crazy.

You could just take 2x 2K lists and then fill up another 1k worth of points and that's 5K right there.

For Death specifically, you could make 2 different Mortarchs i.e. Arkahn & Mannfred, and theme your list around having different mini-themed armies within the same huge 5K list. That seems fun.

Death is limited in normal games because their heroes are expensive. If you take the large point route, you can have some unique battles with  both hordes, elites, and multiple behemoth heroes.

Thank you for the reply and information. Making multiple 2k lists shouldn't be too bad. 1 othe question though. Could I do 2k Grand host with 2k legion of night and 1k legion of sacrament, or would it all have to be grand host but made up of different battalions?

Some armies scale different and could suddenly have crazy synergies (skaven tunneling 9 fiends in front of your guys, outright ripping your heart out)

but else, the world is your oyster... and can make up for an awesome day of destruction

If its for fun and not power gaming, big battles can be fun! Though a bit taxing on time given the sheer number of models you'll want to move. Plus the big battles are where the really big Battalions can be used.

And its nice to have an army that isn't 1/2 of its points sunk into Nagash!

7 minutes ago, Honk said:

Some armies scale different and could suddenly have crazy synergies (skaven tunneling 9 fiends in front of your guys, outright ripping your heart out)

but else, the world is your oyster... and can make up for an awesome day of destruction

Awesome! Sound like I have some studying to do. I already have the legions of Nagash battletome so I will go through that over the weekend.

As for models, so far I have:-           blade of the blood queen, Barrow Lords, start collecting Malignants, 2 cairn wraiths, 1 necromancer, 1 banshee, 1 Wight king with black axe, 1 vampier Lord on nightmare steed, 10 dire wolves and a mourngul. So plenty to start with.

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

If its for fun and not power gaming, big battles can be fun! Though a bit taxing on time given the sheer number of models you'll want to move. Plus the big battles are where the really big Battalions can be used.

And its nice to have an army that isn't 1/2 of its points sunk into Nagash!

This will be purely for fun and we will make a day of it. I see what you mean about Nagash. I will get him eventually when my painting is back up to scatch but even at 5k he is almost 1/5 my total points.

Also thank you to everyone for your replys, happy to know big battles are still a thing.

Nagash is playable at 2k, but the resulting lists for objective games tend to be quite competitive. With 4 morghast he is almost unkillable, all alone a good barrage from KO or Team Skryre might be enough (stupid plaque wind mortars)

but especially for fun/narrative games the shambling hordes with 100+ skellis really look awesome and are fun to fight against, get yourself a nice big table and defend the little town of willow shire or liberate it...

at my club  we are luckily able to scale the tables from 4x4 (500-750) over classic 6x4 (1,5-2,5k) up to 6x8 (5+), that gives you room to move instead of an instant all out melee

Archived