Nighthaunt vs Nagash, need advice which army to go for

Pawiak

Hey there,

so I recently got myself into the system. Started off with death battleforce, which im very satisfied of by the way. Now I have opportunity to bulk buy collection for silly money. The problem Is that this collection is mostly nighthaunt. When I first decided to play AoS I chose death faction to go with Nagash, bunch of skeletons, necromancers etc. but mostly around Nagash himself. Now after that offer I really pulled my mind off the big one and appreciated simplicity of scary sheets (nighthaunts), especially Mournguls.

I would like to add that me, and my friends plan on going after major events, thats why I want competetive army.

My question is as follows: are Nighthaunt good enough to get a decent postion at major event? I guess you can suprise opponent by just picking this army, but what is real nighthaunt potential? I'd really appreciate some experiances shared over tournaments with Nighthaunt.
Also dont hesitate and share your death army competetive experiance overall.

Thanks

As i said in Pm's man, it really depends what the local meta looks like, Nighthaunt like small high armour, low model count armies to come up against as favourable match ups. If your local meta has lots of horde based armies then it wont do as well.

ive seen them get into top 1/4 of results which is amazing imo. But I feel they dont have the tools to be a teir 1 army

sadly they are a swing army & very reliant to your dice to do well (like any army)  BUT they usually surprise people on how resilient they are & when dice gods are looking after you, doing a tonne of mortal wounds with spirit hosts feels good! 

imo play some practise games & see how you like them ^^

Nighthaunt units are immensely more potent under a Legions list than they are on their own. Even if you are going pure nighthaunt other than your battleline tax (180 point minimum for 3 units of wolves), Legions are going to be better.

Gravesites heal your ghosts. You gain access to necromancers so that your ghosts can pile in and attack twice. Those Necromancers and Vampire Lords also heal your ghosts. You have access to more potent command abilities and a wider selection of units to support and augments those ghosts. That Mortis engine in your SC box? You actually get to use it.

You can also do many non-ghost units in a ghostly paint scheme, and they look great. Skeletons and Dire Wolves (well Fenrisian Wolves), look pretty great painted up like ghosts for example.

I feel it quite important to point out that it is astoundingly likely that the next Battletome and kit release after Deepkin will be Nighthaunt, which would be only a few months away. The biggest failing of the faction is the limited options available, which may very well get addressed!

Archived