Nagash and summoing

Arkiham

under the new rules of paying for everything you summon onto the table, does that mean nagash needs to pay for two monsters or heroes when he is summoning

same with units, if i attempt to summon 10 skeletons or something on another wizard does nagash have to pay for 20 if he wishes to place 20? 

I think it's a tad optimistic asking that question. I chuckled when i saw it. 

None of the Undead named characters are in a good place at the moment. Settra is probably the only one that remains highly useful (and the righteous smiting nerf and cap on casting righteous smiting once hurts his value a lot).

On the other hand, the heroes on flappies (Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons) are immensely strong, with the best trait of the 4 Grand Alliances (5+ ward auras) and probably the best artefacts.  

Yes - you need to pay for them. I don't have access to the specific wording of the matched play rules on bringing additional models to the table. However, all other summoning pools have worked in this manner (e.g. SCGT, Clash Comp) - Nagash's rule doesn't override the need to take the models from the pool which you've paid for. 

1 hour ago, DeGriggs said:

You say that like he was trying to do something sneaky....

It's a legit issue and one of the multiple reasons I wouldn't take Nagash in anything under a 2500 point game

This, this right here is probably some of the best advice.  There are so many better options in smaller games.

On a similar vein, if a regular death wizard was trying to summon skeleton warriors, and you only had enough 'summoning points' to raise 10, what would happen if you rolled 10 or more on the casting roll? would you be denied the other 10?

I could very well be wrong, but I imagine the benefit of using Nagash and his boosted summoning under Matched Play rules would the ability to summon 2 Terrorgeists on Turn 1 with a single spell casting, as long as you have a pool large enough to pay for 2 Terrorgeists.

On a similar vein, if a regular death wizard was trying to summon skeleton warriors, and you only had enough 'summoning points' to raise 10, what would happen if you rolled 10 or more on the casting roll? would you be denied the other 10?

Yes. You would not get 20.

As the spells are kind enough to say "up to" you can set as many as points will allow. 

What is how does spells like summon zombie or skeletons interact with the summoning artifact that lets you get a free auto success summon. 

Does it always summon the highest value or is it always the lower one?? 

Yeah you have to pay points for everything.

In matched play summoning is no longer a way to get "free stuff" nor is it really used for the thematic coolness of endless hordes being summoned up.

Summoning instead is a deployment tactic, either in turn one being able to summon a model 15-18" up the board (potentially for a turn 1 charge). Or for keeping them out of harms way until later turns. The risk reward being the unreliability of the summoning roll.

Nagash is still great in my eyes as his summoning is so reliable.

The way I understand summoning from the GH (which is solely based on leaked info until I actually have the book in my hand) is you write your list out (say 2000pts) you then CHOOSE to only deploy 1600 which leaves your remaining 400pts of models (which you have already itemised on your army roster) as your 'summoning pool' so you've already 'paid' the leader/behemoth' tax when list building. If that pool only contains 10 skeletons and you successfully cast the summon which would allow you to place 20 you cannot do this as you've only got 10 in your list.

Hope that answers the original question. And as I said that's just my understanding of how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

The way I understand summoning from the GH (which is solely based on leaked info until I actually have the book in my hand) is you write your list out (say 2000pts) you then CHOOSE to only deploy 1600 which leaves your remaining 400pts of models (which you have already itemised on your army roster) as your 'summoning pool' so you've already 'paid' the leader/behemoth' tax when list building. If that pool only contains 10 skeletons and you successfully cast the summon which would allow you to place 20 you cannot do this as you've only got 10 in your list.

Hope that answers the original question. And as I said that's just my understanding of how it works.

That's not right. When you write your list of say 2000 points you decide how many points will be assigned for reinforcements. You don't have to pre pay for your summoned units before the game. 

During the game any spell or ability which brings on new units must use reinforcement points. You can bring on any new unit you are able to or even use a unit that has been lost in the battle. 

Check out my blog for some more reinforcement ideas:

http://thejabbertzeentch.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/summoning-in-matched-play.html?m=1

2 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

That sounds messy to me and easy to lose track of how many points have been used up. But I may have misunderstood the rules.

The points are simple no partial additions. Everything is base 20(?). 

It is indeed though as was said the pool is free to use during the game. I've done it odds are you'll know about what you want to summon. I know if I want harbingers that's 4 units of zombies I can't summon etc. 

Archived