"AOS 2." - The story of the set

So, I have noticed, that the currently available ruins are called "Blasted Hallowheart" and I know that there is a city called like that http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Shimmering_Abyss#Hallowheart

As I`ve read through I didn`t see the city to lay in ruins already. So could it be, that the next starterset might include some ruins, and that the story will mainly focus around the downfall of Hallowheart itself?

On 2/4/2018 at 12:15 PM, DinoTitanedition said:

So, I have noticed, that the currently available ruins are called "Blasted Hallowheart" and I know that there is a city called like that http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Shimmering_Abyss#Hallowheart

As I`ve read through I didn`t see the city to lay in ruins already. So could it be, that the next starterset might include some ruins, and that the story will mainly focus around the downfall of Hallowheart itself?

It’s an interesting idea

So it could be, that Hallowheart was destroyed by the Death faction? What`s the chronical order in that situation anyway? Wasn`t Hallowheart conquered shortly after the Realmgate Wars and built up in that time period afterwards?

Well, taking this into account Stormcast and Undead could be something for the next boxed set.

30 minutes ago, stato said:

Dont forget the timeline of AoS jumps regularly.  With malign portents we are about 100 years beyond the end of the realmgate wars (i think it was that war anyway).

Nah, we made that jump quite a bit before MP. Firestorm and spear of shadows both happened already around 100 years after RGW.

24 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Nah, we made that jump quite a bit before MP. Firestorm and spear of shadows both happened already around 100 years after RGW.

Ah ok, well its moved on from then so you can imagine bits of cities might be destroyed or under siege etc.  Its a fun theory, dont think they would release a name so far in advance of the main release though.  Boxes these days dont come with scenery anyway, so no new ruins that way sadly.

With the amount of time that happens between the events in the stories so far, the buildings will fall over naturally in the time. I'm sure they didn't deliberately put that their intentionally to give us AoS 2. I'm still not convinced AoS 2 will even happen ever given the generals handbook, maybe an update to the the original pages to include stuff that has been stapled in since, but not a new version.

@Nubgan I´m pretty sure the title expresses, that it`s about the story here ;) Rules updates, the GHB in particular, frankly I don`t care about as competitive play isn`t my thing.

But a new Starter Box isn`t unrealistic I`d say. The release rythm before was every four years, though with the new setting and the sheer amount of books that were released in such a short period of time, I can see the rythm to be shorter. We already had a smaller Starter Set only one year after the initial release of AoS.

Another factor is, that fluff seems to be kind of hard to get. The armybooks are a way, novels another, but both are (that of course is only my personal opinion) vastly overpriced. After all, we`re talking about hobby stuff, not some technical book that might actually make you advance in your joblife. Some of books that came out at the beginning, Hallowmark, Reamlgate Wars, Fury of Gork, I didn`t even touch. The novels man...their prices have just made so extremely unattractive to touch one of those....but I`m drifting a bit into a rant, so I`ll quickly sum up why I think a new set might be on the horizon and why the story will be more focused there:

Release rythms have shortened, the company wants to make fluff a bit more accessible.

Thing is, unless they update rules, why replace the starter box? It still sells and is ridiculously cheap. I think times of late have proven that doing one off boxes like Forgebane and Blightwar help push the general narrative and these are technically what your on about doing lets be honest, but do they really give you more than just a summarised view of what happens? I still think you need to sell books hard to get a decent fleshed out narrative. So why not just have an end times style book release maybe?

On another note, as someone who wishes he had the time and money to read/listen to the narrative more, I agree they are ludicrously expensive, but the same could be said for any novel or book in the world, its just unfortunate that the hobby we love has lots multiple writers, writing for a universe rather than something like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, heck even Star Wars and Star Trek who do have a few writers don't pump out anywhere near as much.

After a few years everyone will have the current starter set, and it will lose its "news" factor.

And for new's sake, I'm sure GW will release a another one soon ; a true starter set with all the marketing it implies (goodies, etc.), and NEW sculpts (snap-fit / easy to build) not just a Blightwar reboxing with 2 new guys. Because Starter sets are an excellent opportunity to create buzz, introduce all-new models and update / create new armies. 

I'm sure a large part of the interest of doing a new edition for "models seller" GW is that it enables them to do a new starer set (it may be the main reason).

Also, note that I think AOS need a good reorganization (≠ changes) of its rules and main book. The AOS main book is absolutely not up to date regarding rules, new models and background.

We need an AOS main book that gives a proper view of the nature of the Realms, the current timeline and narrative, the different armies out there, and regarding rules an introduction to the 3 ways to play. 

Without changing too much the 4-pages rules, a new edition should also means a new Main book and all that it implies. 

- - -

Regarding the narrative of the new box, I'm pretty confident it won't deal with the city of Hallowheart, but as rumored will be called Soul Wars and will deal with Malign Portent, Nagash, Nighthaunt, etc. Also because of this book : 

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Wars-Josh-Reynolds/dp/1784966878

17 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

We need an AOS main book that gives a proper view of the nature of the Realms, the current timeline and narrative, the different armies out there, and regarding rules an introduction to the 3 ways to play. 

Without changing too much the 4-pages rules, a new edition should also means a new Main book and all that it implies. 

So really what we want is a Dark Imperium style box for AoS.

I can't be the only one thinking that we are just going back to Bookhammer of old where we all need multiple rule books to play again. I thought we'd moved on! xD 

I do think for sanitys sake though they should try and keep the rules seperate and in the generals handbook rather than give us a giant book with fluff and rules (and that costs a small fortune) that just gets replaced/updated 2 months later. Because as nice as that Dark Imperium rulebook is, half of it has got updated/FAQd now so people are have a giant book where half the material has been updated in some way :/

3 hours ago, Nubgan said:

So really what we want is a Dark Imperium style box for AoS.

I can't be the only one thinking that we are just going back to Bookhammer of old where we all need multiple rule books to play again. I thought we'd moved on! xD 

I do think for sanitys sake though they should try and keep the rules seperate and in the generals handbook rather than give us a giant book with fluff and rules (and that costs a small fortune) that just gets replaced/updated 2 months later. Because as nice as that Dark Imperium rulebook is, half of it has got updated/FAQd now so people are have a giant book where half the material has been updated in some way :/

Well, 50% not up to date is still better than 90% not up to date, isn't it ?

And to have ONE rulebook serving as a general introduction would prevent the bookhammer syndrome ; now people have to buy a tons of book to have a good idea of the setting, but since Malign Portents website and campaign book, GW is trying to put everything together. 

Also, Dark Imperium is of better value than the current AOS starter set, because you have the main 40k book in it (which, compared to other rulebooks of old, is also pretty cheap when sold alone !).

And that does not prevent 40k to also have a general handbook functioning in the exact same way as our GHB in the form of Chapter Approved.

I'll say it again : a new main book (coming along a new starter set) only real purpose IMO would not be to update the rules in a big way, but to compile the current background, new armies, etc.

1 hour ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Guys....it`s not about the rules....it`s about the course of the story that might come through a new starter box...

But I think what we are getting at is that you won't get one without the other.

I doubt we're getting a new starter set anytime soon. Maybe another Blightwar type box but nothing that will actually replace the original Stormcast vs Khorne box. I'm pretty sure that 2 player starter set will stick around like Dark Vengeance did for 40k.

Blasted Hallowheart is a great kit though! Well worth the price. It even has a 3 scenario campaign. 

If they replace the Sigmarine vs Khorne box theyll need to replace the two smaller versions and all the easy to build kits, and the getting started magazine. Definitely doable, but i cant see ghosts being the poster antagonists for the next couple of years...

It feels like the current approach is to have the easily accessible starter stuff separate (what newbie wants to speculatively fork out 40 odd quid on a rulebook half-filled with teaser fluff...?) and drop these Blightwar style boxes periodically to bump boxed game sales and add a bit to the narrative.

Regarding how GW are presenting the narrative, I loved the RGW books when i finally got round to reading them, but i was never going to buy them at the price they were offered. I think Malign Portents is the best approach GW have ever done - ultimately all the background is just marketing to sell models, and doling out freebies in the form of the short stories and campaign rules has got me painting, playing and buying more than I was last year. Long may it continue!

1 hour ago, Captain Marius said:

I play Stormcasts and call them Sigmarines - it is a term of endearment (and still a great pun!)

Interesting I play stormcast and find it offensive.  To each their own.

17 hours ago, Captain Marius said:

Regarding how GW are presenting the narrative, I loved the RGW books when i finally got round to reading them, but i was never going to buy them at the price they were offered. I think Malign Portents is the best approach GW have ever done - ultimately all the background is just marketing to sell models, and doling out freebies in the form of the short stories and campaign rules has got me painting, playing and buying more than I was last year. Long may it continue!

I think that nails it to be fair, much like the End Times tomes did for 8th Edition fantasy, things like Malign Portents did a massive thing to the lore releasing minimal models and actually got excited about the story a little that usually wouldn't. Perhaps we will see this kind of interaction more often?

Archived