The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

On 01/12/2017 at 11:26 PM, svnvaldez said:

@Chris Tomlin if you were to run a list with 2 Maw-Krusha (One can be Gordrakk if you want) to a competitive event what would the list look like? I realize it will probably be very low in models and not amazing but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Hey man,

Sorry for the incredibly late response. I'm actually not gonna answer yet as tbh I haven't given it any consideration since the GH2017 first dropped. I will give it some thought though and come back to you. I actually think as long as you go character light other than the two big boys, you could probably still get a decent list in there. Not a million miles off @Sangfroid's Maw-krusha and Troggoth Hag list I guess.

I just wanted to quickly check in today to show you guys something I've been working on. When I finally get back into the swing of things are start playing again this year, I want to try a list with a powerful battery of 4 Rock Lobbers as my allies. As with my other allies I wanted to convert these to make them better fit in with my Ironjawz and have an almost dieselpunk theme to them.

So here's where I'm up to, still have a couple more to make, but I'm really pleased with how they came out. It's an idea I've had in mind for a while now and was pleased it came together as envisaged.

Hopefully you like them and I should be back posting regularly again soon,
Chris

130E7B41-8C79-4CA1-BB22-189EDB23805F.jpeg

60B21566-1D88-4AF0-8044-EB72965454EF.jpeg

751299B8-A27D-47FB-9CD4-DAB38047E5C0.jpeg

0516B2B1-F3BE-46E1-B42B-64F366706985.jpeg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

Those are great conversions, really cool and different!

I'm looking forward to seeing them painted and also how you find playing with them! I have a sneaking suspicion that the list you posted earlier might be the One True Ironjawz List for GHB2017... But what do I know? :D

Thanks man :) 

Honestly I wish I was in the position I was after the first General's Handbook; playing so frequently both casually and at events. I had a real handle on things and was playing some good Warhammer. I've kinda dropped the ball a bit post GH2017. However I was happy with my list for Facehammer and my results there showed me there was some measure of success to be had. That said, 2018 will be very light by way of events for me. I'll let @Sangfroid wear the "Best Ironjawz" icon for a year, Gork knows he deserves it!

But yeh, I still think about lists and still so much I want to try. My aim is to at least remain relevant in the Ironjawz discussion as I'm so proud of what we've built here.

10 hours ago, Timcz said:

Wow what a great idea! Cant wait to see them all painted up. 

Cheers mate, fingers crossed I can squeeze time for them before I go to South Africa mid February.

6 hours ago, Goodapollo4 said:

Love these! Great conversion, fits the Ironjawz ascetic way better than the actual lobba kit. 

Thanks bro, glad you approve. I agree this more industrial look fits with Ironjawz better(in my mind anyway).

Chris

• Thanks 1

Cool Conversions mate, I'll leave my spear chukka conversions here for those that haven't seen them, planning on making rock lobbas at some point but not sure where to start, lots of spare 40k metal bits so probably there similar to the spear Chukkas

26732876_10208849370430210_1889328385_o.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Best ironjawz can only be taken,  it’s not given we will have our game at some point @Chris Tomlin ?

You speak the truth. This game is still a must. 

17 hours ago, Hypno said:

Cool Conversions mate, I'll leave my spear chukka conversions here for those that haven't seen them, planning on making rock lobbas at some point but not sure where to start, lots of spare 40k metal bits so probably there similar to the spear Chukkas

26732876_10208849370430210_1889328385_o.jpg

Awesome work man, thanks for sharing. These look really cool. 

16 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

I decided with all the talk of Death and the big update they're getting, it was about time I reminded you all not to forget which faction is still boss with a small addition to the bass of my Maw Krusha...

20171228_210130.jpg

Amazing!! That works really well. Enjoyed that haha

Thx for sharing Chris and its good to see that are back! After a long time of searching i have ordered 4 plagueclaws to convert into rock lobbas. I figured they should fit on oval 110 x70 bases since they come one a 125 or whatever the next size is. Also I am going to remove all cables and such and make them more orky. The crews are going to be made up of regular gitmob grots. Havent figured out how to equipp them yet. Its not very easy to make the models carry large rocks and such. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 1:49 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

That said, 2018 will be very light by way of events for me. I'll let @Sangfroid wear the "Best Ironjawz" icon for a year, Gork knows he deserves it!

But yeh, I still think about lists and still so much I want to try. My aim is to at least remain relevant in the Ironjawz discussion as I'm so proud of what we've built here.

That's sad to hear, can I ask whether it is personal or gaming reasons?  Not trying to pry into your personal life at all btw...If it’s non-gaming related that’s the end of, no need to go into detail! 

I'm thinking it's more likely personal, because you don't seem to be completely "down" on where competitive AOS in general (and Ironjawz in particular) is at right now?

I’m just interested to know if it's for gaming reasons (as a community leader and one of the top Destruction players I’m always interested to hear your thoughts on the state of the game and of our factions), and also for my own selfish reasons (I love reading and listening to your batreps and advice, so I will always want more not less!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Skumbaagh said:

Thx for sharing Chris and its good to see that are back! After a long time of searching i have ordered 4 plagueclaws to convert into rock lobbas. I figured they should fit on oval 110 x70 bases since they come one a 125 or whatever the next size is. Also I am going to remove all cables and such and make them more orky. The crews are going to be made up of regular gitmob grots. Havent figured out how to equipp them yet. Its not very easy to make the models carry large rocks and such. 

Thanks man, how did you get on with your conversions? Apologies for the late reply as I could've checked for you to see if the Plagueclaw fits on the slightly smaller oval. I look forward to seeing your conversions.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, PlasticCraic said:

That's sad to hear, can I ask whether it is personal or gaming reasons?  Not trying to pry into your personal life at all btw...If it’s non-gaming related that’s the end of, no need to go into detail! 

I'm thinking it's more likely personal, because you don't seem to be completely "down" on where competitive AOS in general (and Ironjawz in particular) is at right now?

I’m just interested to know if it's for gaming reasons (as a community leader and one of the top Destruction players I’m always interested to hear your thoughts on the state of the game and of our factions), and also for my own selfish reasons (I love reading and listening to your batreps and advice, so I will always want more not less!)

Again, sorry for the late reply mate. Yeah it's totally down to personal reasons, I will no doubt play a few events over the course of the year and indeed hope to start getting more casual games in (haven't played with the Ironjawz in ages :(). Weirdly I'm not really going to get into this year as a whole until March (sounds strange)! What with my surgery at the start of the year and an upcoming holiday for the last 2 1/2 weeks of February, I haven't been present much at work or down the gaming club thus far. So looking forward to getting back to normal and contributing/interacting properly again across the board.

I'm definitely not down on AoS whatsoever, I still love the game and the product GW are releasing. Whilst I haven't been playing, posting or podcasting of late I have been keeping abreast of all the new releases and believe I still have a good read on the current state of the game. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned with where Ironjawz sit post Maggotkin of Nurgle. They clearly do the things we do, but better and more efficiently haha! They will be an interesting new puzzle for us to solve I'm sure.

One thing I am particularly looking forward to in the new future, after several false starts (my fault), is finally getting to play @Sangfroid in an Ironjawz-off on 17/03/18, so look out for some coverage of that.

Prior to that I will hopefully clear the tablerust (equivalent of ringrust?) with a few practice games. First of all taking on @Lhw, one of this years Masters players, this coming Sunday. So the reports will start coming again, but realistically as I say it's going to be March before we start seeing regular contributions from myself again. It will be at that time I start painting more things for my Ironjawz as well.

On a side note, I have hidden the stickied topic I started with all the questions and info for new players. I will resurrect that project when I have the time to dedicate to it. So yeah, hidden and on hold as opposed to deleted and forgotten. That statement applies to both that thread and myself in general I guess haha!

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just to show I am still doing something, I have some incredibly pretentious teaser photos that I put on Twitter for #wipwednesday yesterday. I subsequently ruined the models with a terrible attempt at weather that'll likely take a few hours or so to rectify!! :S 

Should have full photos with crew week commencing 19/03/18, providing I get them finished for the event the weekend before that!

**EDIT - Urgh, never nice seeing your painting magnified like that haha**

Chris

2B594163-1F62-4384-92A6-B24D6C91C583.jpeg

9819AB5D-06A3-4A7C-A1CB-29F8A30792A9.jpeg

4B33641E-561F-48F7-A1C9-6E79AE078AE7.jpeg

14B8BF1D-D0A9-451A-A444-7F9305D5B8EB.jpeg

• Like 9

Spent last night's hobbytime rectifying the awful weathering I applied to the Rock Lobbers on Wednesday. This consisting of completing repainting the wheels, legs and fronts of all 4 machines from scratch. Bit of a pain and a waste of precious hobby time.

Getting all the Grots done for next weekend is gonna be a big ask, especially with a doubles tournament this weekend. It may be that right at the death I make a last minute call and switch to the Rogue Idol (way worse list) and finish him up next Friday as I know he'll only take a few hours to finish.

Nice to be back in the mix and stressing about tournament painting again. I've missed this!! :S 

• Like 3

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Sangfroid said:

Can’t wait to see them properly fella AND also the rogue idol I don’t think you have posted a pic of him near finished is it still the Gorkanaut conversion? Or a FW standard one? 

It's the Gorkanaut without guns! Got a couple of big painting nights ahead of me on the Grot crew now.

Oh man, these Grot crewman are killing me! I can't remember the last time I forced myself to paint like this to be honest. Truth be told I'd rather be working on my Phoenix Temple or better still, playing Horizon Zero Dawn!! :S 

Luckily I'm really happy with how the Rock Lobbers themselves have turned out, which is definitely spurring me on. I've ended up having the take the day off tomorrow in order to get these complete (as well as a pre tournament haircut - a UK trend I popularised ;)).

Anyway, here's a crappy B&W WIP photo of the Grots. They are converted from Blood Bowl Goblins and various 40K Grots so are pretty cool looking tbf, just painting 19 models in one go is a bit of a ballache. Also if you're wondering why 19 models (as @Sangfroid did!), obviously 16 for the crew models themselves and then I will have one lookout Grot on each machine to add character. The keen mathematicians out there(!) will realise I'm one short, this is because @Cowboy Boots Matt will be painting me one of his Gadgetzhan Overlord Grots to feature in the army (in turn I will be painting up a model from The Black Sunz to add to one of his ships). Just for a bit of fun.

Also, I really should've just reused some of my Spear Chukka Crew...there really is no need to have completely new sets other than OCD and display I guess 9_9

AD740388-9A4A-4D3B-A393-C1CA3982A088.jpeg

• Like 4

A part of being a great megaboss is accepting the potential in a few lousy grots and their machines. Even if da lads may be downhearthed having weaklings in da WAAAAGH(!).

It will be cool to see the army when you're done. Good luck and paint as if Gordrakk is waiting for it to be done! (Or not)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Two days away from our grudge @Chris Tomlin and I have to say Da Ghostwulfz are not fazed by a few puny grots

I think Da Ghostwulfz have the right idea tbh! 4 months since my last game with the Ironjawz and zero practice with the Rock Lobbers...you'll be fine mate!!

Still a chance I just switch to the Rogue Idol tbh...all depends on how I get on tonight.

Yes, I may be getting my excuses in now!! :P 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I think Da Ghostwulfz have the right idea tbh! 4 months since my last game with the Ironjawz and zero practice with the Rock Lobbers...you'll be fine mate!!

Still a chance I just switch to the Rogue Idol tbh...all depends on how I get on tonight.

Yes, I may be getting my excuses in now!! :P 

If you bring the rogue ido, then I can switch in Dafatslag the Troggoth Hag! (Tbh I’m finding it hard not to include her) basically my current List idea is 

mawkrusha 

megaboss

troggoth hag

4x5 brutes

2x3 pigs 

I really want to bring the Ardboyz out again as they were awesome in blackout and I have a troll hag now.... 

the other list i felt might might be a fitting send off for me and Da Ghostwulfz is 

Mawcrusha 

megaboss

shaman

10 brutes

4x5 brutes

Brutefist 

#BRUTES

P.S I’m not building a list just for our grudge trying to get something fun so I can enjoy these last 5 games and I did think about taking a bit of everything so all da boyz (Ardboyz, chanters, etc...) get their time in the sun. Have to admit it’s the hardest choice for a tourney I’ve ever had becasue I’m not really bothered about the meta more my own enjoyment! 

• Like 2