The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

Complaining about weather?  Complaining about the weather?  Ha!  Try living in the Central/Midwestern USA during the summer.  For the past two weeks, it has been up around 95 degress Fahrenheit (about 33 to 34 Celsius for you folks), and extremely humid for the past month (with strong chances of getting up into 42 or 44 C in July/August).  It is for these exact reasons that I don't use spray primer on most of my models anymore, since there are about 3 or 4 weeks in the year here in Missouri where the weather is just right to not interfere with spray paint.  I mean, it's basically one thing or the other here.  It's either snow, freezing rain, and extreme cold, or extreme heat/humidity (oh, and tornadoes when it goes from cold to warm).  September is usually decent weather, but that can swing real easy.  Thank goodness for HVAC systems and big ol' shade trees!

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to continue my internal debate on whether to invest in the 8th Edition 40K book and Starter Set, or use that same money to almost finish my Ironjawz army...  Oh, the dilemma I face sitting in my air conditioned work place ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

@Chris Tomlin Look forward to the return of TBS! 3-hour special yeah? :D

Summer is a bad time for me re. tournaments (lots of weekend work cropping up). Got the GT Finals and Blood & Glory locked in though - will be taking Ironjawz to both those I think, as you say, hopefully new GH will throw some new options out there for us.

Re. the heat - managed to basecoat my Ironblaster and get some washes on my Ardboyz yesterday, it was the only thing distracting me from the heat - plus the shortened drying time was actually very useful... absolutely ecstatic it's raining right now though!

Perhaps I should've specified; the return of TBS weekly, so for my sanity it will hopefully be much shorter than 3 hours! Still haven't thought of a topic mind :S. Won't be going back to the previous format, the weekly is much more successful and just better IMO.

There does seem to be a bit of a tournament lull across the summer tbh. I do hope to be at Blood & Glory though. I've reserved a hotel room just in case.

After stripping Krunks power klaw the other night I have resprayed it and it has a nice even, smooth coat. May try to paint that tonight if I get time. Looking forward to seeing some paint on that Ironblaster.

9 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to continue my internal debate on whether to invest in the 8th Edition 40K book and Starter Set, or use that same money to almost finish my Ironjawz army...  Oh, the dilemma I face sitting in my air conditioned work place ;)

I've visited Midwest USA 3 times (for Warhammer) all in January so can vouch for the cool, super snowy weather. Don't see anything like that over here so it's kinda cool as a visitor.

Now that is a very hard decision. In a perhaps controversial suggestion, I'd go for the 40K box set! Providing you have enough Ironjawz to be able to play smaller games with anyway. It's a great set and at least that way you'll be able to play both games as you choose.

7 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Those are really cool!  I am looking to expand my scenery and terrain sometime soon, and I may just have to look into these later.  Nice!

I'm sure I'll do a bit more promotion for them and give you all a heads up when the Kickstarter goes live. Between them, MiniMonsters (thanks again @Fungrim) and the existing Battlefield in a Box stuff I have, I should have a pretty cool Destruction themed badlands table. Will look to live stream some games in the long run I think.

• Like 2

@Chris Tomlin  I figured you'd be sticking with the weekly format (agreed, the content has been ace and really enjoy the regularity)! I'm just being selfish and (jokingly) demanding a bigger fix upon it's return 

The Destruction themed badlands you mentioned sounds awesome - definitely good shout on the live streaming format! Especially with new Path to Glory round the corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I've visited Midwest USA 3 times (for Warhammer) all in January so can vouch for the cool, super snowy weather. Don't see anything like that over here so it's kinda cool as a visitor.

Now that is a very hard decision. In a perhaps controversial suggestion, I'd go for the 40K box set! Providing you have enough Ironjawz to be able to play smaller games with anyway. It's a great set and at least that way you'll be able to play both games as you choose.

I'm sure I'll do a bit more promotion for them and give you all a heads up when the Kickstarter goes live. Between them, MiniMonsters (thanks again @Fungrim) and the existing Battlefield in a Box stuff I have, I should have a pretty cool Destruction themed badlands table. Will look to live stream some games in the long run I think.

January is usually the snowiest, but February is colder and just plain dreary; lucky it's so short a month :)

I have acquired and painted plenty of 40K stuff over the years (access to over 5,000 points of Imperium and 3,000 points of Necrons) so it's not that I am lacking in models, I just would like to grab the main rulebook and have a go at those new models.  Space Marines are one of my favorite armies, and I always wanted to start a Death Guard/Nurgle Marine army.  In comparison to my 1600 ish points of assembled Ironjawz, which is much more lacking in size and completion.  It's not a matter of one or the other, but which first as the wallet allows ;)

I'll keep an eye out for that terrain!

• Like 1

Morning all,

Feels like forever since I posted on TGA. 5 days is probably the longest run I've gone without doing so since it started though tbh!!

I have a photo to share with you of the new and improved Megaboss Krunk. Some of you may have seen this on twitter where it went down pretty well. I'm super happy with him, came out just right. I've opted to keep the arm magnetised for now. 

If you come back later I'll have some #wipwednesday photos to share of a new iteration of Krunk; the Krunkasaur...and oh my, that's exciting!! 

Cheers, Chris

IMG_0873.JPG

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 21

Been awhile since Iv got to post. Far to busy at work. 

Krunk is looking baller mate! An I love the idea of him travelling the realms An space! Krunk cracking heads from here to the eye of terror An beyond the warp! An ork truly living the dream!!

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the Krunk love!

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, Tom said:

Been awhile since Iv got to post. Far to busy at work. 

Krunk is looking baller mate! An I love the idea of him travelling the realms An space! Krunk cracking heads from here to the eye of terror An beyond the warp! An ork truly living the dream!!

Yeh you and me both mate :( 

Cheers, glad you like him. I feel like he needs his own cartoon or something now! Haha

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Nico said:

Oooh Krunk it up to 10!

Looking great.

Are you at Heat 3 Chris?

Thanks man! Unfortunately not. Seems like forever since I've played and longer still since I was at a Tournament!! Hopefully catch up soon.

23 hours ago, Fungrim said:

Looks awesome mate - want you to re-post those Krunkasaur photos from Twitter on here so we can give him some love!

Cheers mate! I'll get the Krunksaur posted up at lunchtime for sure :) 

• Like 3

Right then, 

Better late than never but here are some work in progress photos of the aforementioned Krunkasaur. 

Tbh a video would probably be better as it's really hard to capture this beast in a single image; he big!

These photos also don't convey the conversion work required to repose the Megaboss model, though some of you guys here may appreciate it being familiar with the model. 

Anyway, check it out;

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

• Like 15

Man, that's so many levels of awesome I don't even know where to start! I love the "orrukification" of the Carnie, especially the iron jaw you gave him! The look on Krunks face as he's bossing the big dino around is just amazing, almost made me laugh out loud in the office. He's 100% in command of that beast!

The Grunta shoulder pads look slightly out of place on him - I think it's a combination of the position/angle of them on his shoulders and the fact that he's just way too big for them. Maybe you could add some straps and other bits to bulk them out a little? Especially the one on the right-hand side looks like it's about to fall off. I think Krunk's footrest on the back could to with some bulking out as well.

Really cool conversion, great job man!

• Like 1

@Chris Tomlin By the Emperor, that is an awesome conversion/kitbash!  And here I am wishing I could even afford a Maw-Crusha kit.  Maybe I should grab a Carnosaur instead now.  I mean, it's only $15 USD more to get a Megaboss and Seraphon Start Collecting box over the standard Maw-Crusha, and then I would have the Saurus to sell or keep for my old-school Lizardmen army.  Hm...

I'm curious how much work went into re-posing the Megaboss.  It looks like his leg is bent up a bit?

• Like 1

Hey all,

The last 4-5 days have been absolutely bonkers for me, hence no posting. It starting with me not going to sleep on Friday night / Saturday morning until 5am as I was up playing Final Fantasy XIV Online (totally been suckered back into the MMORPG world!!)...I then had to get up at 7am (so 2 hours sleep) to catch a train to record the next episode of The Triumvirate podcast and spend the day playing 40K. Got home about 11pm, played FFXIV for an hour (or so!) then got some sleep...once again up early Sunday morning as I had to finishing editing and scheduling Monday's TBS podcast, before packing my stuff and getting another train to London with my fiancé as we spent a few days up there doing what mostly felt like queuing and standing around!!

In reality we actually did a Jack the Ripper tour(!!!) Sunday, went to Camden then watched Linkin Park at the O2 on Monday and went to Wimbledon yesterday. Phew!! Busy busy...after getting home at midnight last night I'm pretty shattered, but in a sad sort of way I'm just happy to be sat at my desk at work today!!

Anyway, you lot don't care about that :P 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, Sangfroid said:

Looks great Chris you should also get yourself a Mawcrusha sized base as this is also screaming out to be a "counts as" Mawcrusha outside of friendly campaign fun!

Could 2x crusha be a thing in GHBv.2..... I for one hope so :-)

Thanks man. Yeh perhaps, it's not a bad idea...though how do you justify the fly rule? I dunno. I'm just happy having him as he is tbh. In mine and @Forestreveries 40K campaign (which involved Orks and Aeldari Exodites tracking megasaurs on a maiden world) he'll probably count as a Warboss on Bike I think.

But yeh, I'd love double Cabbage to be a thing in GH2017!

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, Solaris said:

Man, that's so many levels of awesome I don't even know where to start! I love the "orrukification" of the Carnie, especially the iron jaw you gave him! The look on Krunks face as he's bossing the big dino around is just amazing, almost made me laugh out loud in the office. He's 100% in command of that beast!

The Grunta shoulder pads look slightly out of place on him - I think it's a combination of the position/angle of them on his shoulders and the fact that he's just way too big for them. Maybe you could add some straps and other bits to bulk them out a little? Especially the one on the right-hand side looks like it's about to fall off. I think Krunk's footrest on the back could to with some bulking out as well.

Really cool conversion, great job man!

Thanks man, kind words. Glad you like him! It's meant to be a little tongue in cheek I guess as it is pretty ridiculous. If anyone could ride around, barely balancing on the back of a Carnosaur; it's Krunk!

I didn't agree with your shoulder pad comments when I read them, but looking at the pics I see why you'd say that tbh. It's strange as using them was a bit of a eureka moment as they seemed to fit perfectly. It might be the angle of the pics. I'll have to have another look in person as I was sure they were spot on. I gave fellow Dinosaur aficionado @Devilreefman a preview video and he agreed they work well, but yeh...I'll give them another look. Thanks for the constructive feedback. 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, N_Watson said:

Amazing. Saw this on twitter, but never gets old!

Thanks bro :) 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, BunkhouseBuster said:

@Chris Tomlin By the Emperor, that is an awesome conversion/kitbash!  And here I am wishing I could even afford a Maw-Crusha kit.  Maybe I should grab a Carnosaur instead now.  I mean, it's only $15 USD more to get a Megaboss and Seraphon Start Collecting box over the standard Maw-Crusha, and then I would have the Saurus to sell or keep for my old-school Lizardmen army.  Hm...

I'm curious how much work went into re-posing the Megaboss.  It looks like his leg is bent up a bit?

Haha cheers mate! But seriously, you should get a Maw-Krusha! It's such an amazing model, you can't beat his little moody face. I love it. I'm also not convinced I'm keen on the application of this conversion working as a Maw-Krusha stand-in. But, maybe? Anyway, all this said...go for it! Would be fun to see a wave of Carnosaur riding Megabosses out there!!

It was a lot of work to repose the Megaboss. The photos don't really depict it. Those legs are chunky with not much give. Quite a lot of greenstuffing is required once the cuts are made. I haven't actually finished it tbh. It's not high level sculpting or anything as I can't do that!! But yeh, it's also not just a case of plonking him on.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, Titcher said:

Man that is an amazing model. I would love to see that leading your army into battle.

How do we get gw to release rules for a krunkasaur?

You and me both! Thanks :) 

Well my first step is getting them to accept Krunk as a canon special character in the next Ironjawz battletome haha!! ;) 

Just joking of course, though that would be the most amazing hobby achievement ever!!!

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, Tom said:

@Chris Tomlin

dont count till its painted. You know that right? Lol

Ha! Unfortunately, you're right! He should be fun to do. Carnosaur will be purple like my Cabbage.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, Fungrim said:

Love this a lot! The jaw in particular looks epic. Great work getting Krunk in the right position too ??

Thanks man. The jaw was a complete fluke, but works so well and arguably makes the model. Cheers for appreciating Krunk's pose, I think that is also key.

16 hours ago, quter said:

I love the paintjob on your orruks! How did you paint the scratched black metal armor??

Hey, thanks for the kind words :D 
Here's my recipe for the black armour;

1. Basecoat black (I do the armour after the skin so it usually needs a bit of a touch-up).
  2. Mix Mechanicus Standard Grey into black, broadly layer around the edges and ridges etc.
  3. Add more grey into the mix and do finer highlights around edges and ridges.
  4. Pure grey highlights around edges and ridges.
  5. Mix Dawnstone into Mechanicus Standard Grey and do very small, select fine highlights on the most pronounced ridges.
  6. Paint larger scratches with Leadbelcher (not the areas which will just be scratched, only the biggest areas)
  7. Wash with Army Painter Dark Tone (or Nuln Oil)
  8. Use Runefang Steel to do all the chipping and scratches

To be honest, like most of my painting, this is pretty inefficient. There is less and less need to mix paints nowadays and arguably half those grey/black mixes are a waste of time as no one notices them anyway once you've washed and chipped the surface. it should be noted that the Dawnstone stage needs to be really fine. There have been times where I've done a second coat of Dark Tone just to dull this down a bit.

The key thing here is stage 8. This takes way longer than the other 7 stages combined and you really need to be patient and take your time with it. One way I could improve my army is to use something like Rhinox Hide underneath some of the scratches/chips, and likewise around the rivets on weapons etc. It would take a lot of time and I'm not sure it would be worthwhile as everyone on the scene has seen my army a million times so are unlikely to notice something like that tbh. That said, I would like to continue to improve the army for myself if nothing else, so we'll see.

In short though @quter, just line your black armour with a dark grey, wash it black, then take your time going around the edges/ridges with a silver. Hope that helps :) 

Long post!! Back to work...

(oooh! I broke 2,000 likes! Yey!! :D mostly thanks to you guys who read this. Thank you!! xxx)

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 4

@Chris Tomlin In the story the MawKrusha doesn't so much as fly as jump glide a bit and then land on things with a squish, you could easily just have him leaping about and landing on stuff claws out like the Jurassic park movies, but in any event AoS or 40k it's a great conversion Gorkamorka is a proud deity seeing this

As for counts as, Its not exactly a piece of cardboard stuck to a tuna can is it ?

• Like 1

On 05/07/2017 at 11:54 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey all,

The last 4-5 days have been absolutely bonkers for me, hence no posting. It starting with me not going to sleep on Friday night / Saturday morning until 5am as I was up playing Final Fantasy XIV Online (totally been suckered back into the MMORPG world!!)...I then had to get up at 7am (so 2 hours sleep) to catch a train to record the next episode of The Triumvirate podcast and spend the day playing 40K. Got home about 11pm, played FFXIV for an hour (or so!) then got some sleep...once again up early Sunday morning as I had to finishing editing and scheduling Monday's TBS podcast, before packing my stuff and getting another train to London with my fiancé as we spent a few days up there doing what mostly felt like queuing and standing around!!

Krunk is looking mighty fine, all versions of him are an inspiration - in fact I've been playing around with magnets on my Megaboss 'Daddy' Waaghbux and I'm also looking at a power klaw for funsies.

The world of MMORPG's is a very consuming one! I'm doing my best to ignore most games otherwise it's too easy to not sit down and get some hobby done because it's 'more effort' or whatever!

On 05/07/2017 at 2:01 PM, Payce said:

Those leg muscles, man. Leaps like Kal-El. Just bobbing across the battlefield without a care.

This is what I was thinking too- Krunkasaur never skips leg day.

William x

• Like 2