The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

A cool list definitely includes a cabbage imo. Maybe put the 2 lots of 5 brutes to a unit of 10?

iv not even thought about what I'm gonna take. But will prob look similar lol. Always does I guess.

anless your going to lean into one of the battalions i spos most cool jawz list include a little bit of everything. 

iv got 5 brutes to finish an I'll be converting some bb orcs myself. Got 3 boxes not quite sure what I was thinking there. Lol. Ardfist!! 

@Tom - Nice man, looking forward to seeing what you do with them. Have you seen my conversions? Unfortunately a lot of the links are still broken in this thread (@Ben is having to manually fixed them all, which does not sound at all fun!) so I'm not sure you'll be able to see them. Prod me in the Coalescence chat if you want me to text them to you. I'm super happy with them and they do deserve some paint ASAP!

On the subject of photos, I really want to get some nice ones done at some point before the year is up. The army is reaching a decent size now and it'd be great to show it off in all it's glory!

• Like 1

Morning all,

Still a bit quiet here I'm afraid. I did get an hour or so on my Gore-gruntas last night but man they seem to be taking forever. I'm honestly wondering whether I'll ever get all 18 painted! :S 

Anyway, just a quick message today to let you all know that I'll be playing live on Warhammer TV next Wednesday (31/05/17) on the later slot vs @Paul Buckler.

It will be the might of Megaboss Krunk and Da Black Sunz vs the upstart Kharadron Overlords of Skyport Barak Mar-a-Gauld!

It's going to be an interesting battle. Hopefully I don't get shot off by his 10 Khemist buffed Aethercannons in turn one!!

I really hope some of you guys can watch! :D 

• Like 10

Guess I will watch the match. And hey paint more Gore-gruntas and take a Gorefist to stomp those puny sky dwarves under their hooves. Dead dwarves cant shoot!

Just kidding he will most likely have them in a ship anyway.

Edited by Vaux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Morning all,

Still a bit quiet here I'm afraid. I did get an hour or so on my Gore-gruntas last night but man they seem to be taking forever. I'm honestly wondering whether I'll ever get all 18 painted! :S 

Anyway, just a quick message today to let you all know that I'll be playing live on Warhammer TV next Wednesday (31/05/17) on the later slot vs @Paul Buckler.

It will be the might of Megaboss Krunk and Da Black Sunz vs the upstart Kharadron Overlords of Skyport Barak Mar-a-Gauld!

It's going to be an interesting battle. Hopefully I don't get shot off by his 10 Khemist buffed Aethercannons in turn one!!

I really hope some of you guys can watch! :D 

Last Facehammer, I think it was Russ saying Ironjawz could be a bad match-up for the Kharadron (quick, multi-wound, smashy) - here's hoping!

Good luck mate. I'm sure you will anyway, but give us a reminder on here/Twitter etc (mind of a sieve over here..)

• Like 2

Morning guys,

Thanks for all the kinda words re Warhammer TV. Hope I can do you all proud. I think it's gonna be tough but there is definitely the potential for a good result I think. We shall see! Suffice to say, whatever happens me and @Paul Buckler are incredibly excited and looking forward to the privilege.

Anyway, it is finally time to rattle off those games I never got round to covering. I hate doing it like this and would much rather give them the time and attention they deserve, however it's not always practical. Obviously the number ordering is out being that I've reported on games that game after these, but it just makes more sense to do it this way.

For more info, you can find the SCGT Battleplans here -

http://heelanhammer.com/SCGTdownloads/SCGT17BPv1.3.pdf

I used the following list as SCGT had comped out the Megabrutes;

• Krunk - Battle Brew
  • Pig Benis on Cabbage - General, Bellowing Tyrant, Talisman
  • Shaman
  • Warchanter
  • 10 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 10 Ardboys
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • Ironfist

2,000 on the nose. Nothing very exciting or innovative and tbh I expected to struggle under the SCGT pack and battleplans.
In the last few practice games here I made sure to cover off all the battleplans I had yet to play, just so I had experience with them all.

Let's see how it went...

Game 75 - SCGT Practice vs Dom Hook @Snoopdom (Stormcast Eternals)
This was The Silver Tower battleplan. Dom had a fairly standard Hammerstrike Force with 20 Paladins. I think he made a mistake dropping all 20 on one side of the board, allowing me to camp out the other two objectives. However he had the luck with the Tower staying put and that was pretty much that!!
Result - Major Loss

Game 76 - SCGT Practice vs Dave Fullbrook (Death)
Dave's army was a complete mix and pretty soft (certainly when compared to all the other lists I played!!). We played the Heralds of the Storm battleplan as I wanted to practice it with the knowledge you could tag objectives and move on. Krunk was an absolute Beast this game and ended the game with 3 of the 4 objectives tagged by him. To be fair to Dave he was doing me a favour here as he wasn't attending SCGT.
Result - Major Victory

Game 77 - SCGT Practice vs Mike Wilson (Disciples of Tzeentch)
Oh dear, this was so so very messy! Mike had the Changehost and completely and utterly destroyed me in Capture and Control. It was a useful experience though and had I rolled better on the Cabbage's Talisman saves we may have had a better game. As it was I simply could not go toe to toe with the mortal wounds spam. A real non-event.
Result - Major Loss

Game 78 - SCGT Practice vs @Paul Buckler (Sylvaneth)
Paul had a pretty standard Sylvaneth build, with the addition of the Skink Starseer, which is pretty cool. We played Domination, which I was quite confident in. However, this is one of those games vs Sylvaneth where it went bad, quick! The key is have 9+ bow Hunters (over 6) and getting the turn 2 double as that equals a dead Cabbage.
Result - Major Loss

Game 79 - SCGT Round One vs Craig Namvar @ravman (Destruction)
On to the event proper and first up I was randomly drawn vs the winner of the GWGT Heat 1! I've known Craig for years and we played a good few times in WFB but never in AoS. When I saw his double Frostlord on Stonehorn and double Huskard on Thundertusk (+ 60 Grots) I knew I'd be in trouble. This was Heralds of the Storm.
It actually went quite well early on and one Stonehorn fell short of its charge and was mobbed by the 10 Brutes and Krunk, they cut the beast down (with Krunk doing 12 wounds before halving!). The Cabbage got into a Huskard but after some of the worst rolls ever, did 0 wounds (this includes Destructive Bulk)...wtf!?! This unfortunately was the game as he could retreat and then batter me.
Way tighter that I expected and an awful lot of fun.
Result - Minor Loss

Game 80 - SCGT Round Two vs Mike Wills (Destruction)
This was The Silver Tower, my least favourite battleplan due to the random nature. Mike also had two Frostlords on Stonehorns but only one Huskard on Thundertusk, yey! :S He had all the Grots but had spent extra points on Yhetees, which was cool.
This game was insane, Pig Benis finished the game on 16 wounds thanks to Strength from Victory. Unheard of!! He was an absolute beast. Krunk also killed 40 Grots across two turns, which was fun. Bit of a Sauron from the start of LotR moment!!
Didn't go well for Mike, especially as I had a single Brute, on 1 wound, sat in the Silver Tower for 3 turns without it moving. Skillz.
Was great to meet Mike, he was a sound guy and I enjoyed our game.
Result - Major Victory

Game 81 - SCGT Round Three vs @Dan Hadert (Stormcast Eternals)
I was so pleased to meet Dan, he was a great opponent with absolutely top quality banter. Was a lot of fun. This was Capture and Control and I played what is hands down my worst tournament game of AoS ever.
Even when deploying Dan said I was saying stuff like "why am I putting this here?” just got it completely wrong. Not to take anything away from Dan, who didn't misstep and went about his game.
There was a funny story at the end but it'd take an age to write and I'm not sure it'd translate well. Basically, after getting smashed all game we thought I'd maybe won it at the end, then realised I hadn't. Bit of an emotional rollercoaster!! Listen to the podcast for more info. Dan got my Best Opponent vote.
Result - Major Loss

Game 82 - SCGT Round Four vs @Andy Bryan (Sylvaneth)
I'd seen Andy's name on the rankings as the two of us had been in very similar positions throughout 2016, however we'd never played or even met. @Paul Buckler told me Andy was a great guy and he wasn't wrong. First game on a Sunday, Andy is exactly the kind of opponent I want. We hit it off straight away and had a good laugh throughout the game.
This was Domination and unfortunately by way of reporting the game, you can just read the one 4 above this! Successive losses to Sylvaneth, I'm losing my touch (that or now everyone takes 9+ bow Hunters!!).
Result - Major Loss

Game 83 - SCGT Round Five vs Ric Ellis (Stormcast Eternals)
This was a fun game against another new opponent. I was against Ric's Stardrake led Stormcast in Realm Gate Wars. Now I think the realm gates themselves are red herrings in this battleplan and rather than risking the random, I just played it like Border War (GHOUL PATROL!). Obviously if I had a chance to jump onto his home objective I would've gone for it.
I think this is the best battleplan for my army. It plays Border War (GHOUL PATROL!) well enough anyway and then to get the battleline buff is really nice. It meant I could be fighting his Concussors, get battered but still have an Ardboy left so score. Ran away with the scoring a little here...in truth I think Ric's dice hated him a bit!!
We did end with a Cabbage vs Stardrake fight, which was a bit of a slap fest with no clear winner.
Result - Major Victory

Game 84 - SCGT Round Six vs Henry Edwards (Sylvaneth)
This was the Altar of Azyr. Henry is a lovely guy who I first met and played at Facehammer last year. That game went pretty well for me and this game wasn't much different! It was close to the perfect game and over pretty quick. I got the double turn, literally rolled the best results possible on the Altar and just steamrolled Henry. Ouch!
Bit of a shame for him as whilst he had a pretty standard build, he had spammed a few extra Branchwychs to help in the battleplan, but yeh, wasn't to be. I'm sure he'll get me next time...I'm definitely due it now!!
Result - Major Victory

There we go! Two Moo Clan (Beastclaw monsters + Moonclan), two Stormcast and two Sylvaneth armies, pretty funny given the variety on show at the event. Fortunately I was never high enough on the tables to play Tzeentch and Skyfires!
I think it went as expected tbh, I don't like whinging about dice, but my priority rolls were absolutely appalling over this tournament. I genuinely didn't win one until Game 5, and even then only won 3 across the last 2 games. It really does make an impact, but truth be told I think 3 wins is probably about the right place for this army under this pack. I would've loved to have got 4 wins and a decent finish, but it wasn't to be. Playing like an utter moron in Game 3 did not help whatsoever either!

So overall I ended up 75th out of 182 players. My worst SCGT in the last few years, but oh well, it was to be expected. Still, I'm glad I went with the Ironjawz and was pleased to be able to display them as a Best Army nominee. Like @Thornshield said to me, I should've used a black cloth rather than whacking them down on a goblin green table! I didn't end up making the top 3, which was a little bit of shame as on consistency across the army I do think mine was up there, however there can be no complaints as the top three were all absolutely fantastic armies all worthy of their accolades ( @Thornshield, @Mark wildman & @Ian Gilmore). Three great guys and friends of mine. I'm pleased for them all, well done boys! :x
It should be said that without a shadow of a doubt, @Ian Gilmore is the Megaboss of paint and an undisputed winner (in any field!).

Was a great event overall, was just nice to hang out with friends old and new :D 

If you want more detail on the SCGT games, I did do a podcast episode covering these, so please check that out as well;

I played a 1,000 point campaign game vs @ChippyRick last night, I'll catch up on that next week! Also if you know usernames for anyone I didn't tag, let me know and I'll edit them in.

Cheers guys, enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend. Any of you at Warhammer Fest? Come say hi if so!!

Chris x

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 6

Morning guys,

Firstly thanks to everyone that watched. Was a super super close game. @Paul Buckler managed the Minor Victory in the end by being comfortably up on kill points, however I didn't feel there was any danger of him getting the Major over me. Conversely, I felt I was in a position to try and stop him scoring for one turn throughout for the Major and tbh had a won even just one of the four priorities (yup, lost them all...two of which Paul won on a 2...wtf?!) I think I probably could've taken it out. So I wasn't really concerned by kill points as I wasn't likely to catch him.

I won't bemoan bad luck in general, as whilst it seemed swingy at points (4 sixes for D3 damage on Gruntas, Megabrutes failing 11/12 saves etc), I don't actually think it impacted on the game massively, aside from the priorities. There were a couple of things I could've done differently, but truth be told I'm not 100% sure they would've worked out and like I say, just one priority win and I have every chance to win and my decisions look solid ya know.

Also, it should be said that we did play a practice game in the morning, same battleplan and I won by 40 kill points, so it seems the match up isn't as polarising (one way or another) as I feared. This battleplan helps as you have to wait until T2 to see where the objectives drop, so it means that T2 priority isn't the game. I knew after taking the morning game that I'd end up losing on the TV one haha!!

Whilst obviously I'd love to have won, it's more important that it was a good, close game, that went the length.

I would hope the game is worth a watch back and was pleased that we were able to give our thoughts before, during and after. Was really interesting. Hopefully it was good for people to see a different way of playing the Ironjawz over hyper aggression (which would have 100% seen me tabled by T3 latest), whilst it didn't pay off, it definitely could've and I'd play it basically the same next time. We also did some recording in the car on the way back which will form next week's TBS show, so check that out as well.

I'll do further reports etc in here, including the Skirmish Shadespire Campaign we also played through yesterday (so technically 8 games of Warhammer in a day!!), but for now I'll have to crack on. 3 day week not conducive to much free time!! :S 

13 hours ago, Vaux said:

Good match but dice luck wasnt on your side Chris.... but Krunk was killed by a damn Khemist in melee... the shame.

Haha that does not tell the full story my friend. As well as shrugging off numerous Kharadron small arms fire, he tanked the Cannon and Torpedos off the Ironclad for two turns in a row before finally losing his last wound to the Khemist (another 1 rolled for his save). Had he passed his 3+, I could've crushed the Khemist, gained a wound and attack, then circled round into the Thunderers to demolish them last turn. Wouldn't have changed anything, but would've been a cool moment to end on (especially after the poor Foot of Gork on the Ironclad...2MW!).

Great game and day in general tbh. Me and Paul now need to play a decider with 1 minor win a piece....

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Haha that does not tell the full story my friend. As well as shrugging off numerous Kharadron small arms fire, he tanked the Cannon and Torpedos off the Ironclad for two turns in a row before finally losing his last wound to the Khemist (another 1 rolled for his save). Had he passed his 3+, I could've crushed the Khemist, gained a wound and attack, then circled round into the Thunderers to demolish them last turn. Wouldn't have changed anything, but would've been a cool moment to end on (especially after the poor Foot of Gork on the Ironclad...2MW!).

Wont change the fact that he was done in by a measly Khemist in melee. Gork or Mork wont be pleased (and yeah I know that this Ironclad pumped some nice shots into him hehe).

Just kidding anyway.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Morning guys,

[.......................]

I would hope the game is worth a watch back and was pleased that we were able to give our thoughts before, during and after. Was really interesting. Hopefully it was good for people to see a different way of playing the Ironjawz over hyper aggression (which would have 100% seen me tabled by T3 latest), whilst it didn't pay off, it definitely could've and I'd play it basically the same next time. We also did some recording in the car on the way back which will form next week's TBS show, so check that out as well.

It's definitely worth a watch! I missed the first turn or so as I was driving, but by the time I got home, from the looks of it you were bossing the objectives. I panicked at first because your cabbage was out of shot (!), wondered if you'd thrown him forward early-doors and the Ironclad had ground him off.... then the camera panned out and I realised he was swinging round the right flank, which looked so awesome

Think on any given day if you'd won just one more priority, or if he'd fluffed a few of his shots (there's a lot of 4+ rolls in KO shooting...) - you'd have nicked it on objectives. You as the megaboss know this I'm sure, but it's taken me a while to get used to it myself - Ironjawz can be so all or nothing a lot of the time. I've really had to adapt to the method that you just have to play for the Major and hope to cling on to the objectives, as the inevitable high number of casualties seems to make those hard fought Minors too difficult to get (especially when facing these pew pew armies!)

Good work mate, was great seeing you on there, and the post-game discussion was ace too. Hopefully not the last time we see Krunk on the tele!

• Like 1

Hey,

Cheers @Fungrim, glad you enjoyed the game. I watched it back last night and was pleased that @Paul Buckler and I gave a good game. I also think that the pre, during and post match interviews all went really well. It was a lot of fun doing them to be honest. I was also pleased with some of the shots Dan got of my army.

They mention me moving the Brutes to contest his objective off my charge on T4, which would've been a great move I agree. However at that stage of the game I did not have 47 wounds remaining in the unit as stated. Paul had killed a decent number by this time. Also he was guaranteed the next turn so could pump all his firepower into that unit without worrying about the Cabbage... there were comments from the commentators and Paul that he would have had to split fire. That's not true as he could've dealt with the Brutes that turn, then had he won priority (which he did) the Cabbage would have been irrelevant as it would not have denied him scoring T5 anyway. Had I won priority, I could've charged, but wouldn't have killed his entire army. He then has T5 to do a very easy 14 wounds...so all in all I don't see that it would've actually caused him a problem the more I consider it.

In my mind the game was over on priority rolls. But hey, it was a fantastic game and exactly the type of game I'd hoped for on the stream. a whitewash one way or another wouldn't have been great viewing.

Anyway, I mentioned that we also played Skirmish above. I will recount this at some point but thought it might be fun to share my initial (40 renown) and final (97) warbands as we went through the Shadespire campaign. Pics are a bit dark and out of focus, but are more to show off the composition of the warbands themselves as opposed to the paintjobs. When I do a run down of the games, I will discuss what I added after each game as I have it written down;

1.png

2.jpg

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 5

Hi Chris,

I left warhammer when age of sigmar kicked in, had my head turned by other games, malifaux and guildball to name a few, and when the skirmish rules were released last Month I decided now would be a good time to jump back in.

I picked up the skirmish book and the ironjaws warband with the intention of painting up a couple of models and getting a few games in at my flgs.

Then I started putting together the models and realised how amazing they were, so I had a looksie on the t'internet and stumbled onto this blog/forum/thread, and I am now quickly becoming addicted to ironjaws. Your army, your exploits and your passion has rubbed off on me and I can't wait to get some models completed and start playing so I just wanted to say thank you for helping kick start my gaming again, I hadn't realised how much I missed it.  

• Like 3