The Painting Contract - April 2018

Due to flu and other misfortunes I wasn't able to fulfill the march painting contract, so i'll go easy on me this month

I pledge to finish my stardrake/dragonlord model before the end of the month. Also i've a conversion I'm really excited to show to the forums, but I'll open a topic for that.

Happy painting folks!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope a late pledge is okay!

I'm a slow painter, so I'm going to commit to painting a warchanter, finishing the base on my Ironskull's Boyz (boys already painted late last month), assembling and undercoating the rest of my Sylvaneth (6 Kurnoth Hunters, a Treelord Ancient and 5 Tree-Revenants).

Very quick update from me - I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be posting wip/pip shots in here or finished stuff before the target date? I finished off my Branchwych/wraith counts-as last night and there's pics of her going up on my project thread here today - I can put them here as well if that's the done thing?

Next up this month though is this lot:

p2CYCWh.jpg?2

Five Spites and a Wyldwood. I'm already getting wood-blindness.

Slowed down a bit. Must find second wind. I’m really starting to worry about bases arriving now. Managed to do the last 5 of the monopose ardboys but still the bases. That makes 15. The other 5 are going to be rugluds twin choppa guys. Hope they fit in. Just realized I need to paint the other 10 with the red boots. The only thing you need to be in Shivertooth’s army Is a bad attitude and red boots  ?

img_1921.jpg

So... decided to make a total left turn ... and do some Shadespire blocking terrain... because just playing on a board isn’t as exciting ...

Three Hex blocking terrain (crumbling wall)

6366D28B-8C0B-487A-B79D-B38EDDC79A1C.jpeg.86485633c2e0011cb2db99b3be31e37e.jpeg

Two hex blocking terrain (ruined stairs)

409F443D-832C-4F52-8CA4-FA98C37A7280.jpeg.68d533f51299be01b957d00a4fad8eb5.jpeg02987DE6-63C3-46FA-8C80-ED76246303C1.jpeg.307be46cf5f66008fb32a3511ded8ce8.jpeg

One hex blocking terrain (broken pillar)

C3A16BF1-F203-46A1-823E-E2FA1A78B2D9.jpeg.dcc18ce269645d2cd5931473fcf53706.jpeg

UPDATE:  I don't have pictures, but I was able to get my three Gorebeast Chariots with their base coats on, and sand on their bases.  Next step is to paint up the bases, glue the models down, shade them, and do detail work.  Then touch up, etc.

After that, who knows?  Maybe I'll get to work on assembling my step-daughter's death army or get back to painting my Ironjawz.

Forgot to post my Raptors once I finished them, but they are along with my Azyros from this weekend featuring my first go at magnetising. Bought completely the wrong size of magnets twice (too big and too small) and then had to Greenstuff a chunky box around the bigger magnets. Wings stick out a little more than they should, but they also hide the ugly job... mostly...

5ad3d9a655fb6_Raptors05_04_184.jpg.07ada6be123d87e0c78c8627670c6af9.jpg

5ad3d9a42e120_Raptors05_04_183.jpg.3b01459da6623e412ae08a8d00902d44.jpg

5ad3d9a1106db_Azyros14_04_184.jpg.2ffbebb19a8ba1bc235b489e016a6105.jpg

5ad3d9aa33628_Azyros14_04_181.jpg.8afabc9f19f37af315f9c357cdf99e86.jpg

Relictor to go!

Although I'm not down to paint any AoS this month, I decided to do a bit of practice this weekend and see if I could improve the red armour technique I've been using for the armour on my Vampires (knowing I've at least one more to paint up).  I've grabbed a random spare Stormcast and did the leg first and then moved onto the chest.  Still plenty more improvement to make, I don't feel the highlights are as vibrant as they could be so need to experiment with that a bit.

I do need to up my brush control game a little (couple of new brushes ordered to hopefully help), especially when it comes to edge highlighting on curved surfaces.  I could do with finding a different white (I used Ulthuan Grey air as it feels a lot smoother than the whites I've got).

DaxK_kBWsAAlze-.jpg:large

Been away from AoS for a while, got drawn in by that other GW game that's quite popular. But my local GW store are having a painting competition on June 1st, so this month aiming to up my game on a practice Demonsmith before doing the special edition Warhammer World one next month (spoiler alert for May Painting Contract :D). So I'll be joining you in trying to improve my red armour technique @RuneBrush

As awful as I am at sticking to deadlines I vow for april to paint my 5 greatblade chaos warriors (and probably attempt 5 different ways at colouring their crystal mutations so I can find one I actually like).

If I can manage that I will also try and add in some stretch goals if there's still more time in the month. Progress will mostly go in my golden horde thread though hopefully will chuck some updates in here too :)

On 2018-04-15 at 6:34 PM, TheDangerRanger said:

For April I am trying to finish building my SCE vanguard models from the Blight War box. I will also try and get my unit of 5 hunters painted. Here is my start.

IMG_3597.JPG

Love the vanguard. I swore on the othe forum I would have a stormcast with vanguard army one day. My first ‘true ‘ AoS army and it will have gryphounds as well?

Part 3 of my pledge. I now have 30 reavers painted. Not going to town on these guys as I have more to do and want to get onto some bigger projects. 

I now need to decide on my next project, Lord Castellant, Gaunt summoner or more reavers to get to 40.

ialso have a lot of bases in my future...

IMG_0873.JPG

Well, I got my Gorebeast Chariots painted up, including the guys riding it!  Woohoo!  I would normally take pictures of them, but they are already packed up for a game tomorrow night.  Hopefully I can get pictures of them up this week.

Tonight, I'm starting up on my step-daughter's Death army.  So many Skeletons to build, woof.  Oh, and all the Dispossessed models I have been accumulating for the past year so I have a larger collection of models for Skirmish games.  My group is really getting into Skirmish here lately.

Agree?!

30 arrer boys. Resurrected and finally finished after 13 years. These were from my first starter boxes in the hobby.  Some bases finally arrived and 30 arrers are based soon to be followed by 30 of the twin choppas from the same boxes. More on that a little later hopefully.  

img_1937.jpg

Packing it in at 30 orruks with twin choppas. Kinda feels good having all these boys who were just lounging around out of site of a good fight done. At the very least it will take a bit to turn them into green paste. Another 20 ardboys to do (no bases yet and half painted so far) and 2 chariots. The bases I made and glued the models in place. Just have to clean them up a bit and throw the grit on. As long as I don’t get killed in a fiery car crash or crushed by a 16 ton block, I should have this. I will be short at least 20 bases though. 1 st 30 x 32 mm slotted from Spain are somewhere in Canada but the other 30 aren’t shipped yet. I screwed up that order. 

img_19381.jpg

Finally got some pictures of them taken!  Here are my first 3 Gorebeast Chariots!

And yes, I am aware that I didn't do their pole decorations yet.  I'm still debating if it is worth it or not, but these guys are tabletop ready now.  I do want do get some tufts of grass and apply to their bases, but my FLGS didn't have any in stock last time I looked.

5adca5115c0da_FirstthreeS2DGBChariots4-22-18.jpg.a6361fafe1b664651991b08291c29b19.jpg

Next step, painting up 10 Chaos Knights and a Chaos Sorcerer.  I have mentioned that I am going to be working on assembling a bunch of Death models for my step-daughter, but I am hoping to get another load of models to add to that bunch, and I'll assemble them all in one go when the time comes.

Archived