The Painting Contract - April 2018

So it begins!  Made a bunch of homemade bases. (No laughing ! Well, go ahead)

my first batch of orruk boar boys. Having to cut slots in the mdf was actually a bit of a pain and of course I had to drop the dremel and 90* the drill bit ?

Too much red on the one on the right I think. img_1768.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img_1777.jpgimg_1776.jpgimg_17701.jpgJust a little fun update. I was going to be short on all the battline units but made an incredible find today. An old starter box with 16 arrers and 16 double choppas. Going to increase the arrer boys to 30, the double choppas to 30, and I was short 2 pigstickers so I scraped bits together to make them giving me 20. That’s not all. Another drawer revealed another 10 rugluds. I’m going to throw 5 at the original 14 and add grimgorn as the champ for 20 ardboys, and the other 5 double choppa guys with jointhe oldschool unit to make 20 of them. And I found a old model that just screams warchanter with the rugluds. Decided to scrapbuild a rocklobber as well and this will bring the army to 2500 points. Now it’s truly ambitious. 

On 3/29/2018 at 3:50 AM, Swooper said:
  • Finish the currently WIP Minotaur and herdstone/objective marker (both in the highlighting stage now)

Finished these on Friday, didn't have time to post them earlier. More pics in my army log thread!

IMG_20180331_163112.jpg.0f063c7782500136c85508b103f7639e.jpg

IMG_20180331_162955.jpg.e1e3584351d3344a4e60eb31b37f09ed.jpg

Managed to finish 2 out of 4 ratty heroes from last month:

sr9.jpg.1900aae0ebe71cdcd4ae9c759717b72c.jpg

The warlock engineer for gautfyre scorch, and--

sr10.jpg.786ec9f3733f97f23a864b08682810b9.jpg

--Warpheel, a nasty cyborg(ratborg? cyrat?) assassin with machine legs and tail. Also all kinds of talismans and enchanted poisons and weird skryre weapons, like a grenade that sticks to walls.

I pledge to finish my Warscryer Citadel

I will use any time after that to work on Skarbrand, but it’s going to be a really tight month for my painting time.

I’ve been meaning to write a blog for you all about my year in painting with the story of my first army. Hopefully by putting it here I will get around to it sooner!

Scrap rock lobber on the way!  Budget rules all so we make do with what’s at hand. There are probably a few engineers here scratching their heads but what the heck. It’s built by a grot ?

I have some of those grots from the ogre army. Can’t ghink of their names at the mo but I think they will be the crew. After the foam counterstone dissolved from the spray I remembered the old extra giant head ?

The spearmen are done  except for the banner boy. For some reason they are always the last if ever.  Looks like I need to darken up the skin in the new ones as well

img_1785.jpgimg_1790.jpgimg_1791.jpgimg_1789.jpg

Warchanter done. I am very tired and probably should have just gone to bed. The new warchanter have 2 weapons. Since no double weapons , hopefully the different tattoos on the skull do the trick (the tattoo artist doesn’t get much business).  I’m sure whatever nut he is cracking won’t mind ?Crew for the rock lobber put together. The lobber itself needs gubbins for sure. Something with some colour. img_1776.jpgimg_1804.jpgimg_1805.jpgimg_1794.jpg

Moving along and away from warchanter ? Warboss on warboars and great shaman on warboar. Repainted the shaman but just touch ups on the warboss. My son did him a long time ago and was feeling nostalgic. Also a group shot of the leaders. Feels a little weird without grimgorn but I think his new place as champ of the ardboys will be ok  

img_1806.jpgimg_1807.jpgimg_1809.jpg

On 31.03.2018 at 2:16 PM, J.Z. said:

Hello guys.

My first try here :)

So let's start with:

Liberators from Storm of Sigmar box

10x Skelletons

and some various terrain

Ok guys.

So i'm doing Skelletons first. They are dirt cheep so good for first project :)

I covered them with Zandri Dust, helmets with leadbelcher, shield black & white from Army Painter (don't like those paints), back of a shield and spears with mournfang brown.

I use Seraphim Sepia for that "ancient" looks. Now im thinking about highlights. I got Ushbanti bone and Screeming skull but i don't know how to proceed wit those. I mean Screeming skull for the sharpest edges but Ushbanti bone? should i go in covering the whole miniature (except of recesses ) as a layer or just go as a highlight ?

Also i'm thinking about doing Egrax Earthshade on lead belcher to make him a little more... used 

Any advices from experts :)

IMG_20180404_142441.jpg

IMG_20180404_145946.jpg

IMG_20180406_145824.jpg

IMG_20180406_145852.jpg

Well, I'm going to try and make a pledge here for April.  I did decently on last month's pledge, up until my relatives acted up again (but that's another story for another time!).  While I did get most of the Stormcast built that I had (in spite of the efforts of some of the models), I was not able to work on my step-daughter's Death army beyond getting the pieces clipped and ready for assembly.  So I will keep it realistic and simple this month.

My pledges for April are:

- Paint up my 3 Gorebeast Chariots (at least the Gorebeasts and chariots, no promise on the riders yet).

- Assemble my step-daughter's Death army (the prospect of assembling 90 infantry, 3 monsters,  and sundry others).

Anything beyond that will be miraculous...

10 hours ago, J.Z. said:

I covered them with Zandri Dust, helmets with leadbelcher, shield black & white from Army Painter (don't like those paints), back of a shield and spears with mournfang brown.

I use Seraphim Sepia for that "ancient" looks. Now im thinking about highlights. I got Ushbanti bone and Screeming skull but i don't know how to proceed wit those. I mean Screeming skull for the sharpest edges but Ushbanti bone? should i go in covering the whole miniature (except of recesses ) as a layer or just go as a highlight ?

Also i'm thinking about doing Egrax Earthshade on lead belcher to make him a little more... used 

For the bone, it looks like a layer of Ushabti Bone (leaving the seraphim sepia in the crevices) and then the sharpest edges in screaming skull.

Duncan has an excellent video on painting the Sepulchral Guard here, and that would apply nicely to your skeletons. (However for the number of skeletons needed ... that might be too time intensive ...) 

If you’re looking for an alternate method to paint skeletons, he has an alternate skeleton bones in one of the tips of the day version here:

If you have a smartphone, I’m going to recommend the Citadel Painting App, it shows you the core color progressions to get your colors. And they have a Skeleton Warrior in the list of minis.

Google Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamesworkshop.citadelpaint

Apple App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citadel-paint-the-app/id1238189867?mt=8

I usually paint stuff off the sprue after assembly, but like everything .. that is very much personal preference.

I’m looking forward to seeing how your Horde turns out :)  (Even if it is a small horde ... every beginning starts small to end up at true greatness!)

19 hours ago, J.Z. said:

Ok guys.

So i'm doing Skelletons first. They are dirt cheep so good for first project :)

Any advices from experts :)

Ushbanti bone is a good "mid-tone" bone colour, it'll allow you to bring the whole model up to a nice bone finish so that your highlights just make it "pop", otherwise jumping from washed Zandri up to Screaming Skull could be a little stark.  I'd do it as either a layer (or drybrush it on if you're comfortable with drybrushing to achieve a smooth finish).  Then just edge highlighting with Screaming Skull on the collar bones, knuckles and features on the skull.

Agrax Earthshade on the silver is spot on - edge highlight with a bit of Stormhost Silver to finish it off.  I'd also do this wash before you put any bone layers on as if you overlap onto the actual skeleton it won't look like a mistake.

Archived