Be witness! (Nurgle & Procrastination)

peasant

Hi firstly forgive my poor English, long story short I had  models to paint but still I was buying more of them. To my only shame boxes and gray silhouettes keep growing in a mess to the point I quit entering in the room I was storing them. (Not the case of my girlfriend that is getting mad at me). So I decided to get rid of some armies I won't paint and sell them( done!) to commit myself to paint  my most beloved units.  So far it consist in mostly Nurgly (AoS and wh40k) , finally this is the list of my things to finish, almost gray or in box:

1 Great Unclean One

10 Plague Bearers

3 Plague Drones

1 Beast of Nurgle

1 Slopitty Bilepiper

1 Spoilpox Scrivener

1 Feculent Gnarlmaw

1 Epidemius

1 khorgorath

1 bloodsecrator

5 chaos knights

10 Chaos marauders horsemen

40 Cultists

1 Foetid-Bloated Drone

1 Daemon Prince of Nurgle

1 Foul Blightspawn

1 cygor

3 Minotaurs

1 Liberators

1 Lord of Blights

1 Festus

2 Blightlord Pusgoyles

15 Putrid Blightkings

20 Daemonettes of Slaanesh

5 Fyreslayers

Gutrot Spume

3 Lord of plagues

Minis Painted /Big Models:                            36 / 6

Minis Bought / Big Models :                           34/ 0

And I think thats all.  I will self impose some rules.

1.- End full units and don't jump to anything. Bases too.

2.- Don't buy anything impulsively. (Or don't buy at all).

What do you think guys? are some of you in the same boat? I'm a perfectionist and sometimes I don't paint because I think it won't be a good paint job.

And some motivational speech:

Edited by peasant
More minis bought
  • Like 3

I had this problem for 20 years, and my pile of bare plastic , resin and metal is still embarrassingly large, but over the last couple of years I've made a real dent and saved quite a bit of money. Here's my method:

• Ask yourself these questions before making any hobby purchase: 1. Does it make any difference if I buy this now or later once my other stuff is done? 2. Do I realistically have time to build and paint this in the next month in addition to everything else I've got on? If the answer is no to either question, don't buy it.
  • Set a monthly budget and if possible seperate ýour hobby funds from your regular disposable income.
  • Set goals and use the forum for accountability and motivation. The monthly Painting Contract thread is great for this.
  • Rather than go cold turkey, set yourself a target like painting twice as many models as you buy. Keep track of the numbers, and if you really want that new unit, make sure you finish two old ones before you buy it.
  • Paint a little each day. Even grabbing 5-10 minutes can really add up.
  • Use quick but effective methods like the ones recommended by @Vincent Venturella and @Mengel Miniatures in their tutorials. Not every mini needs to be your best work but there are ways of speeding up the process without sacrificing quality.

Using these rules, last year I painted more than twice as much as I bought and finished nearly 500 minis. This year I have already finished over 200 and have only bought 18.

Another effective tactic I've seen is to write a 2,000pt list and then not buy anything outside of that. Once the army is finished and painted, write a list for a new army, or adjust your original one to try a new tactic or sub out less effective units.  That way, everything you buy is playable and you guard against impulse purchases.

Best of luck!

• Like 4

On 25/3/2018 at 9:35 PM, Kramer said:

Same here. Although I have the excuse that my brother bought a lot never painted and now I’m stuck with it. ?

Hehe I don't have nobody to blame except myself.

22 hours ago, AGPO said:

I had this problem for 20 years, and my pile of bare plastic , resin and metal is still embarrassingly large, but over the last couple of years I've made a real dent and saved quite a bit of money. Here's my method:

• Ask yourself these questions before making any hobby purchase: 1. Does it make any difference if I buy this now or later once my other stuff is done? 2. Do I realistically have time to build and paint this in the next month in addition to everything else I've got on? If the answer is no to either question, don't buy it.
  • Set a monthly budget and if possible seperate ýour hobby funds from your regular disposable income.
  • Set goals and use the forum for accountability and motivation. The monthly Painting Contract thread is great for this.
  • Rather than go cold turkey, set yourself a target like painting twice as many models as you buy. Keep track of the numbers, and if you really want that new unit, make sure you finish two old ones before you buy it.
  • Paint a little each day. Even grabbing 5-10 minutes can really add up.
  • Use quick but effective methods like the ones recommended by @Vincent Venturella and @Mengel Miniatures in their tutorials. Not every mini needs to be your best work but there are ways of speeding up the process without sacrificing quality.

Using these rules, last year I painted more than twice as much as I bought and finished nearly 500 minis. This year I have already finished over 200 and have only bought 18.

Another effective tactic I've seen is to write a 2,000pt list and then not buy anything outside of that. Once the army is finished and painted, write a list for a new army, or adjust your original one to try a new tactic or sub out less effective units.  That way, everything you buy is playable and you guard against impulse purchases.

Best of luck!

Woa! Thanks for such an elaborate post, I shall print it and hang it my wall. I'm a huge fan of Mr. Venturella and his hobbycheating video series, and used a lot of the info he poured there. I'll make use of your advices beginning to adherence to the painting contract! Thanks!!!

On 3/26/2018 at 4:38 AM, AGPO said:

Set goals and use the forum for accountability and motivation. The monthly Painting Contract thread is great for this.

You’re in luck! We’ve just started the Monthly Painting Contract thread for April 2018!

Come join us as we pledge to get stuff painted (and built)!

• Thanks 1

Those Plagues Monks look really good, more than sufficient! Just finish off the bases and on to the next ones!

A couple of tips/suggestions from my own past experience:

- Out of sight out of mind. Decide which models to do next and put the rest physically away, much easier to focus on a few at a time.

- Finish each batch fully, including bases etc. Going back to do 100 bases later might be more efficient but it's such a chore it'll be really off-putting. If you finish as you go the unfinished pile dwindles tangibly.

- Beware of things that cost a lot of time. If there's a quick and a slow way to do shields for example, and not a huge difference in the end result really, the extra time cost will add up hugely over many models. That's not to say you should cut corners where it's important to take some time!

I'd also add that actively working through a backlog is hugely satisfying once you get going. You're not just saving money, you're sorting your life out, and also giving your models the care and attention you hoped to when you first bought them. :)

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Those Plagues Monks look really good, more than sufficient! Just finish off the bases and on to the next ones!

A couple of tips/suggestions from my own past experience:

- Out of sight out of mind. Decide which models to do next and put the rest physically away, much easier to focus on a few at a time.

- Finish each batch fully, including bases etc. Going back to do 100 bases later might be more efficient but it's such a chore it'll be really off-putting. If you finish as you go the unfinished pile dwindles tangibly.

- Beware of things that cost a lot of time. If there's a quick and a slow way to do shields for example, and not a huge difference in the end result really, the extra time cost will add up hugely over many models. That's not to say you should cut corners where it's important to take some time!

I'd also add that actively working through a backlog is hugely satisfying once you get going. You're not just saving money, you're sorting your life out, and also giving your models the care and attention you hoped to when you first bought them. :)

Thank u! I'll jot Down those Advices, First im Going to Hide Everything except The Unit Im Actually Painting!

See You and Thanks Again for such an inspiring post

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last one unit finished and other close. I've got a lot of Nurglesque inspiration in Stevewren's Blog 

Here is my finished Plague monk unit of 20. And now im working in my loved Plaguebearers, those fellas get painted in 40 mins! If you need some info about the colors used or anything feel free to ask.

See ya

IMG_20180420_215405.jpg

IMG_20180423_220247.jpg

IMG_20180423_220252.jpg

IMG_20180423_235137.jpg

IMG_20180423_235144.jpg

Edited by peasant
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Aex said:

Your Plaguebearers are simply perfect! Is this Death Guard Green with Washes? 

Painting Nurgle is so much fun. 

Is Very simple indeed:

Base: mix English Uniform Green (Vallejo Model color) + Dead Flesh(Vallejo Game color)

Light 1: base + Dead Flesh + ice Yellow (Vallejo Model color)

Light 2: Light 1 + More ice yellow

Highlights: Light 2 + White

Shadow 1: base + Deep red (Scale 75)

Shadow 2: base + Deep red 

At this Point Just glaze Every spot You like with Deep red, Deep Blue, Purple, Green etc... Just Play!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

one unit painted at last!

3 plague drones

1 beast of Nurgle

But the bad news I bought the following:

10 putrid blightkings

10 daemonettes of slaaneah

5 fyreslayers hearthguard

and changed my 40k death guard army for dozens of gors...

IMG_20180702_220342.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, peasant said:

I've decided to start with My plague Monks, Because They are a Lot I'm Going careless, but Being skaven They dont Need a Clean paintjob.

What do You think? Its Ok or think Worth to Put More effort in each Model?

IMG_20180328_205622.jpg

I love the pink. You could go for more contrast on the robe (but maybe it's just the photo). I would buy Army Painter Quickshade strong tone and do some diping. So much faster for hordes, perfect for Nurgle greenish and brownish tone. And you could get a super professional finish after some trying.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, christophe said:

I love the pink. You could go for more contrast on the robe (but maybe it's just the photo). I would buy Army Painter Quickshade strong tone and do some diping. So much faster for hordes, perfect for Nurgle greenish and brownish tone. And you could get a super professional finish after some trying.  

thanks , you are right more contrast in the robe can be more contrasted. I will check that quickshade

6 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

uwu so cute that eye wow

Seriously though that's a fine paintjob that eye just looks so sparkly and pretty haha love it

20180708_123652.jpg

hahahaha. Life is so special when you are in the nurgle side! You can always feel the warmt love of the grandparent while you stare at the swampy landscape. He feels joy and comfort but he has a grim determination to give his life to preserve that special spot a tiny resemblance of the Nurgle garden in the mortal realms!

Wow these look really good! How are you doing that water effect on the bases?

Also you should paint the rims of the bases, it makes them look much cleaner imo, but if you don’t want to that’s fine lol. It doesn’t take hardly any extra time though.

Edited by Ragnar Alpaca
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Wow these look really good! How are you doing that water effect on the bases?

Also you should paint the rims of the bases, it makes them look much cleaner imo, but if you don’t want to that’s fine lol. It doesn’t take hardly any extra time though.

thanks 4 the advice, I'll do in time! But Im soooo inconstant. About the water, I use vallejo still water effect, the floor is prepainted with dark green progressively lighted with vallejo bile green. After that I add 2 or 3 times the water effect because IT shrinks when dries