Painting Log: Alarielle on Warbeetle

CPEninja

I started painting my Alarielle on Warbeetle yesterday, and Mr. Mengel put up his new painting contest link today.  Hopefully the fact that I have an extra day's worth of progress won't affect my standing in the competition.

So far, I have the warbeetle about 99% complete ( I paint quickly).  Alarielle will probably take a day or so to finish, and then the basing will take another day or two - depending on how fast my scatter terrain ships!

I sadly don't have any in-progress pics of the warbeetle, but I'll try and make this an actual log for Alarielle herself, and the basing.

File Jul 11, 2 20 58 PM.jpeg

13592185_10206896105946605_8418674120502372907_n.jpg

I honestly can't tell you - I just paint.  My friends and local GW store owner give me the sourface when I finish entire armies in a week - I did a full boxset of Slaves to Darkness 3 days after I purchased the box.  I guess the real 'secret' is that I write out the plan of what I'm doing before I start.  I do a ton of research on others' styles and color choices and then map out what colors I want and where.  I have a ton of go-to techniques that I follow with well practiced abandon:  basecoat, wash, layer, drybrush, drybrush, drybrush.  Work from the 'lowest' layer outwards - aka, start with the lowest part of the model (skin, armor, feathers, etc.) and finish those first - I use the biggest brushes I have to get the basecoats on, along with the medium/large drybrush.  Any mistakes or bleedover on the other parts of the model will get covered when I move to the next section, so I don't fret.  I shrink my brushes as the details get smaller.  I also work in a 3-color palette:  base, layer, dry (followed by more drybrushing if I want to get fancy, like the beetle's purple parts).  Once I know the 'target' color for the area, it's just a matter of picking a darker and lighter version to properly get the illusion of depth going.

I also have a decent amount of free time (no kids yet!), so I imagine once my little one is born my progress will slow a little.

Fair enough. I guess I'm skewed as my last two models were after a years break, and a start on a new force so I was testing the waters. I'll have to see how I do with the rank and file when they arrive. Do you even drybrush skin? 

Great job anyway and I look forward to seeing the process as it goes.

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Fair enough. I guess I'm skewed as my last two models were after a years break, and a start on a new force so I was testing the waters. I'll have to see how I do with the rank and file when they arrive. Do you even drybrush skin? 

Great job anyway and I look forward to seeing the process as it goes.

Yes, I find that drybrushing gives a nice glow to the skin.  I'll also do a heavy drybrush sometimes to create it as a 2nd layer.

That beetle looks fantastic!  You can add my envy at the speed as well.  Sometimes I think I must be the slowest painter ever... but my kids tell me I'm not slow, I'm careful, Lol! Anyway great work, can't wait to see Alarielle tomorrow morning!

39 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

You don't find this makes them look dusty or uneven?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It depends on where you use it - I tend to target drybrushing to the face, hands, and major muscles (if they're exposed).  Don't focus on the flat areas as much, unless your drybrushing color is a VERY close shade to the next layer.

As you get to the final highlights, try using a larger drybrush that you get EXTRA dry - then very *lightly* brush the very tip of the bristles over the area over and over.  The larger brush allows the bristles to flex more and get less pigment on the target.  You'll find it will take a few dozen strokes to even get a little effect - it an excellent way to control the final details.

Archived