Bonesplitterz Battletome next!

The Stronghold

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:37 AM, polarbear said:

I think they could have emphasized the rank and file type troops in a different way, such as making them necessary for winning the scenario or whatnot.

Many of the Matched Play Battleplans do require a higher number of models than the opponent to claim objectives (which I'm not keen on, but that's another topic!), but as you say this does encourage rank and file.

Battleline tax on top of this is just flat out not needed and poorly executed IMO. I was at a gaming event (not tournament this past weekend), plenty of us playing AoS under GH and not one person thought Battleline was well done or more importantly, necessary. Obviously its still a minute sample group, but I think there's a general feeling out there that it's a backwards step after the year of freedom and lack of restrictions we've enjoyed.

Back on topic, being away I have not yet had a chance to look over the Bonesplitterz scrolls, but can't wait to have a read and get my hands on the book at the weekend (presuming that's when its released).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Many of the Matched Play Battleplans do require a higher number of models than the opponent to claim objectives (which I'm not keen on, but that's another topic!), but as you say this does encourage rank and file.

Battleline tax on top of this is just flat out not needed and poorly executed IMO. I was at a gaming event (not tournament this past weekend), plenty of us playing AoS under GH and not one person thought Battleline was well done or more importantly, necessary. Obviously its still a minute sample group, but I think there's a general feeling out there that it's a backwards step after the year of freedom and lack of restrictions we've enjoyed.

The great thing is that GW encourage house rules and different ideas for tournaments. I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 tournaments that won't have the Battleline rule.

Just now, Bowlzee said:

The great thing is that GW encourage house rules and different ideas for tournaments. I'm sure there will be 1 or 2 tournaments that won't have the Battleline rule.

Such as Rain of Stars, the first UK Tournament under the GH?! ;) 

Although my reasons for that are that it's so soon after GH release, not because of my personal feelings.

7 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Such as Rain of Stars, the first UK Tournament under the GH?! ;) 

Although my reasons for that are that it's so soon after GH release, not because of my personal feelings.

Haha, true.

I hope tournament organisers make plenty or changes and house rules and don't default to GHB. It would be ashame to lose all the variety we've had over the last year.

Similarly with the rules of one (spells and infinite loops) versus the more nuanced rules in SCGT and Clash Comp. I can see why they opted for simplicity and memorability - but these two act as hard nerfs to Beastmen, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Seraphon, Deathlords and Tomb Kings. Meanwhile Stormcasts are stacking lanterns to give a unit of 20 Retributors a 2+ Save, Dwarves are giving quarrellers -3 rend and Skarbrand and his posse of 5 Bloodsecrators are smashing face.

however on the topic of 1s and summoning, is summoning a spell in itself or is it 'summoning:x' that is a spell. I do believe it's the letter so by taking a wider range of units you can cast to your hearts content.. However as its more of a deep strike/free movement now rather than free units, you might not want to

I really like the book overall. Firstly from an aesthetic point of view its very nicely presented and the art work is all fantastic. Much like Flesh-eaters I really love the way they have taken an element of a WFB army and made it into a fully fledged AoS army of it's own with unique flavour (even more impressive considering they have not released new models) - the monster hunter theme is amazing and really fits the look and feel of the savages.

I'll admit I have not read the fluff yet, but even just looking at the pics I think you get a real feel for the army. The section which depicts different clan paint styles etc is really cool. Though I am unsure why they refer to the warpaint as tattoos - it just doesn't seem plausible as tattoos! I don't know if this is the fluff as well though?

Gamewise, I think they actually do have quite a bit of variety (well, given it's just two plastic kits + characters anyway) and I really hope people don't default to the gunline borefest.

The most in game flavour comes from the traits, artefacts and spells and I think you would lose something from the army by not taking the allegiance to gain all this stuff. However conversely, I think (for me personally) I would rather see them as part of a mixed destruction army which is a bit of a shame.

The problem is for pure Bonesplitterz you need a lot of models. I say problem, but for the matched play battleplans this is mostly a good thing, so they definitely have potential. Painting all that Orruk flesh though....urghhh...

The artefacts, traits and spells I think are where the book really shines, the army is massively customisable! So much so that it'll be rare seeing the same list twice (excluding the hated 'netlists' lol)which as you rightly pointed out is a mega achievement considering the model range is 'rather limited' [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived