Do Netters stack or not?

Nevvermore

Question

So there have been a lot of questions around stacking abilities. GW has FAQ:ed the use of the word "any" and clarified that abilities that say, for example "units within 1" of any model with this ability suffer -1 to hit" do NOT stack. This is the relevant FAQ:

Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability, does it mean that the ability is applied only once when the criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6” of any models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a
model that was within 6” of three models with the ability, or would I add 3?

A: The ability is applied only once, no matter how many times the criteria are fulfilled – ‘any’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘one or more’ in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules. In the example, this means that 1 would be added to the hit rolls, not 3.

However, the word "any" is not used for the Grot Netters ability. This is the relevant rule:

Netters: Your opponent must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made in the combat phase for any of their models that are within 2" of a Grot with a Barbed Net. 

As you can see, it says "models that are within 2" of a Grot with a Barbed Net." The use of the word "a" as opposed to "any" has not been clarified by GW. They have, however, stated that abilities do stack unless otherwise stated:

Q: Are the effects of multiple duplicate spells and abilities stackable against the target?

A: Yes, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Does the Netters rule specifically state otherwise? GW hasn't said, so it would be a matter of semantics. So do they stack or not? Based on the FAQ above and the fact that the rule doesn't use the word "any", a word specifically used for non-stacking abilities, I would say they do stack. Opinions?

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

So there have been a lot of questions around stacking abilities. GW has FAQ:ed the use of the word "any" and clarified that abilities that say, for example "units within 1" of any model with this ability suffer -1 to hit" do NOT stack. This is the relevant FAQ:

Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability, does it mean that the ability is applied only once when the criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6” of any models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a
model that was within 6” of three models with the ability, or would I add 3?

A: The ability is applied only once, no matter how many times the criteria are fulfilled – ‘any’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘one or more’ in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules. In the example, this means that 1 would be added to the hit rolls, not 3.

However, the word "any" is not used for the Grot Netters ability. This is the relevant rule:

Netters: Your opponent must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made in the combat phase for any of their models that are within 2" of a Grot with a Barbed Net. 

As you can see, it says "models that are within 2" of a Grot with a Barbed Net." The use of the word "a" as opposed to "any" has not been clarified by GW. They have, however, stated that abilities do stack unless otherwise stated:

Q: Are the effects of multiple duplicate spells and abilities stackable against the target?

A: Yes, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Does the Netters rule specifically state otherwise? GW hasn't said, so it would be a matter of semantics. So do they stack or not? Based on the FAQ above and the fact that the rule doesn't use the word "any", a word specifically used for non-stacking abilities, I would say they do stack. Opinions?

Strict semantics, no. "For each" is missing. It's a boolean condition: are they within 2" of a net.

Fun net fact - technically your unit champ can carry a net, and therefore that netter gets +1 to hit with 3 attacks. 

Another fun net fact - your tiny 25mm base netters can fit in between other units models without breaking their coherency, e.g. putting netters through the gaps to protect the other unit's front line with -1 to hit. 

Third fun net fact - you can choose to not put nets in a unit of grot archers, to get more bow attacks

Fourth net fact - there are only 3 fun net facts. 

Archived