What is next for Death? (mini factions, models, etc)

kenshin620

(If there was another topic on this very topic, I couldn't seem to have found one in the recent months so sorry if this topic is a beaten dead horse...of death)

Well lets be real here, Death in terms of new stuff has gotten the shortest end of the stick so far in AoS. With only 2 things technically, the Dread Solstice Herald and the Shadespire warband, Death has gotten very little in terms of new stuff (other than repacking some modular units to make new units out of modular parts like in flesh eater court).

So I'm wondering what are the most likely sources of new stuff? What lore hinted things could become a reality? Could Nagash give the biggest middle finger to Sigmar and start converting stormcast into undead? Will there ever again be undead dwarves, elves, orcs, etc like the Cursed Company? Is there some pocket dimension where "totally not tomb kings" come back from? Will there ever be undead archers (for nagash's faction)? Are they just going to make a skeleton box 2.0 like a more modular shadespire kit? And so many more possibilities.

Now of course I'm not saying Death necessarily NEEDS new things but it would be nice if there were some new stuff to get excited about. Heck I'll even take Fel Bats and Bat Swarms becoming plastic, which is probably less likely than Blood Knights on foot!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that after malign portents they will expand upon the Nighthaunt range.

The Harbringer is a Nighthaunt and they were the only active allegiance that was not included in the legions of Nagash book.  Their law seems to suggest that they are rogue spirits that can be bound to serve by powerful necromancy, however, they are able to work by themselves and aim to destroy all living things. It would be cool to see their roster expanded upon and explored.

In terms of units they could look into expanding the roster with ghasts and gheists or even just provide possession options for some models. Elite units could stem from harbringer style models that can form a Nighthaunt version of elite infantry. In terms of large monsters they could quite literally go anywhere, the mounrgul still exists (although its nerfed into oblivion) but they could look at creating their own large ghost style model. In the fluff gigantic spirit storms thrash through Shyish, it would be great if these could somehow be represented in game, almost as an elemental force of nature, an amalgamation of spirits that swarm the living. 

Anyhow, that's what I'd like to see.

I suppose more nighthaunts could be a possibility, especially since they removed cairn wraith units so they lack a normal infantry option, not to mention the Black Coach could reaaaaaaly use an update. I do hope though if they ever get infantry it'll be a bit more than "they're grave guard painted pale and are missing legs". I guess it is hard to do ghost warriors without running into that though.

A Spirit Storm (kind of like an undead version of mangler squids) sounds interesting, though I worry it'll more or less be "hey put 5 units worth of spirit hosts onto a large base" sort of thing unless they really try to make it unique. Perhaps kind of like the incarnate elemental of shyish? that thing looked mighty terrifying.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170723104729

I would like to see a piece of artillery that fires zombies/skeletons and you had to refuel using your own minions.

Maybe you enchant a body with death nova before catapulting it towards your opponents.

Maybe a nighthaunt themed 'rail gun' that fires a line of frightful touch mortal wounds through terrain.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, Bradifer said:

I would like to see a piece of artillery that fires zombies/skeletons and you had to refuel using your own minions.

Maybe you enchant a body with death nova before catapulting it towards your opponents.

Maybe a nighthaunt themed 'rail gun' that fires a line of frightful touch mortal wounds through terrain.

So its like a Doom Diver and a Death Shrieker Rocket had a baby!

I do miss the TK skull launcher, though that was the foes skulls and not your own.

The stories released on the Malign Portents site mention human forces (crossbows shooting amethyst bolts and sitting behind skeletons with big shields), big undead serpents that appear from the ground, bone giants and today an undead catapult.  That's not saying that we *will* get these items, but does suggest there's a lot more left to come :)

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

The stories released on the Malign Portents site mention human forces (crossbows shooting amethyst bolts and sitting behind skeletons with big shields), big undead serpents that appear from the ground, bone giants and today an undead catapult.  That's not saying that we *will* get these items, but does suggest there's a lot more left to come :)

Haven't taken the time to read any of that. Sounds like a fun future. Thanks for posting that.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Reminds me of the storm of chaos campaign where vampire counts could get upgraded skeletons that either had halberds or crossbows. I still don't get how you can have highly skilled grave guard who know how to deal a mighty killing blow, but undead ranged units are an impossibility! Having "freeguild" death allies sounds like a neat idea, though then again we never got the living subjects for TK despite their mentioning back in like 6th ed.

A bit interesting about the serpent thing, I know it is quite a common thing that occurs in nearly all types of fantasy but funny that at least 2 other companies have undead serpent/worm models.

If you get an opportunity, Undying King by Josh Reynolds is well worth a read.  It's set before Sigmar opened the gates to Azyr and features Nurgles invasion into Shyish.  One of the items that heavily features is that there are plenty of mortal tribes living in Shyish and for them Undeath is part of their lifecycle, rather than being seen as abhorrent.

A quick fix now would be to start producing skeleton archers, horseman and the screaming skull catapult for death rattle.

Another fix would be a reanimant force centred around the TK constructs. I'm not proposing a tomb king return but those models would fit aesthetically now.

Some of the new lore sounds great, there was one story where it mentioned human shyish residents fighting alongside their ancestors.

Death rattle- as above I think rounds them off nicely with a new sepulchral guard kit.

Nighthaunt-a couple of new units and a new blackcoach and they are battletome ready.

Soulblight- I would like to see thralls of different types, some weaker vampire foot troops, neferata courtesans and some mannfred type vampires and they are almost there.

Deadwalkers-this could be a good mortal centric faction too. Humans and others underspell by a necromancer and are waiting for undeath. Centre it around the corpse carts and as they die they are reanimated into zombies or the corpse cart could be drawing in the mortals to build parts up for a zombie dragon! 

Flesh eater courts- love what they did with this subsub faction! But I think they are missing a trick with having some'grail knights' some ghouls riding a disgusting mess of a mount and thinking their looking all heraldic! 

Deathlords and death makes work as allied factions I suppose. But i would like to see more morghast aesthetic models.

Humans death faction- I'm repeating myself but I would like to see any human release correspond to a realm so there would be a shyish, Ulgu, chamon, human faction etc. And the shyish one could fit with the great new lore we've been hearing. :)

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Another fix would be a reanimant force centred around the TK constructs. I'm not proposing a tomb king return but those models would fit aesthetically now.

...and suddenly the „Reanimant“ key word (morghast)  would have a meaning!!!

I would really like some crazy constructs, Bonegolems, spirit-Tesla-cannons and such things, but I always liked the non-Meta about death the most. Yeah everybody is all into shooting, for hero-sniping. Every dwarf has an axe up his crack, just to be prepared for an emergency, but I really like that this is not our way...

although an undead wight-frigate, deepstriking from shyish, shooting the banshee-cannons before vampire captain fynn the furious jumps out with his elite gang of underlings for blood and loot... interesting

...of course with a witchdoctor throwing hexes around

For me death is ok for  now.(Excellent for strict tournament - without too many conversions needed)

But i suppose they need to add new or rework some resin kits.

And some special characters, like Necromancer on a steed.

1 hour ago, Botinok said:

For me death is ok for  now.(Excellent for strict tournament - without too many conversions needed)

But i suppose they need to add new or rework some resin kits.

And some special characters, like Necromancer on a steed.

Yeah they are ok for gaming right now but for modelling, collecting? Wouldn't it be great to see.their factions expand and diversify like the other GAs and even add a couple to boot :)

I kinda hope they give Deathrattle some new models that they have shown or mentioned in the Malign Portents stories.

In one of the first few stories (the one where the Nurgle force is in Shyish, led by a Great Unclean One IIRC) we see a huge skeletal snake. I think that would be awesome. The size of an Aleguzzler Giant maybe, for around 200 points... Maybe looking like a skeletal version of a Tyranid "Mawloc" from 40k (without the limbs though, more snake-like).

In the same story we have mortal archers combined with Skeletons (Grave Guard judging by the description) protecting them. So maybe a mortal army faction allied with Death could be a possibility, like Mortals of Nurgle or Khorne, just in this case Mortals of Nagash. "Citizens of Shyish"

In the most recent story (the one with the Bloodwarriors getting their asses kicked by Wight Kings) we hear that Death is using artillery. The return of Screaming Skull Catapults would make me quite happy.

And then my personal, completely unfounded wishes:
- A chariot
- Archers, mounted or unmounted. Skeleton archers are so iconic.

Instead of the Giant Bone Snake above I could live with a regular Bone Giant as well. Something big that isn't a Dragon and rather 200 points than 300+. Although I guess we have that covered with Morghasts so it is a bit unlikely I guess. Maybe combined with the artillery idea. An Undead Giant throwing rocks...

My guess?  Nothing.  Nothing is next.  At least, not for a good long while.  Because LoN doesn't really hint at anything new coming down the pipe.  DoS listed Idoneth Deepkin as allies before the latter were even announced.  LoN only lists flesh eaters.

I still think we might see a nighthaunt book later in the year, but I don't expect new models for it.

5 hours ago, Arael_Greywings said:

Don't remind me... I build my own from a Black Knight just before LoN came out... Imagine how thrilled I was that they took out the option for his steed...

IMG-20180216-WA0023.jpeg

Indeed, this was annoying=)

4 hours ago, CDM said:

Yeah they are ok for gaming right now but for modelling, collecting? Wouldn't it be great to see.their factions expand and diversify like the other GAs and even add a couple to boot :)

Sure, but somehow i'd prefer a fewer model count for better tournament practice, because i hate to use magnets =0

Archived